Saints 0-2 Fulham - Saints Relegated

Dman

1 hour ago, JWade said:

Interested to see what it's like at St Mary's tomorrow in terms of attendance and atmosphere. Imagine there will be quite a few empty seats and it's going to be difficult to get excited even if we're winning. Wonder if the supporters are going to make their frustration known or if they've just accepted our fate and will just get behind the team and clap them off again. 

Part of me hopes that tomorrow will just confirm it, bored of the inevitable being dragged out for so long. 

I'm quite looking forward to the Championship anyway, can't wait for this season to end! 

I think there will be loads of empty seats. 

Apathetic / disillusioned fan base watching an already relegated team 

Train strike, not possible to get to the game by train, traffic will be bad

Few cruise ships in, traffic will be bad 

Nice weather forecast, 20 degrees and sunny people will find something else to do. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hackedoff said:

Got a great idea on how to celebrate relegation. Get the club to hire in a morbid,depressing brass band and get them to play a funeral dirge prior to kick off.

Be something different.

Lol I did think before the bournemouth game that they at least had the sense to jump straight to the upbeat bit 😂

6 hours ago, JRM said:

I think there will be loads of empty seats. 

Apathetic / disillusioned fan base watching an already relegated team 

Train strike, not possible to get to the game by train, traffic will be bad

Few cruise ships in, traffic will be bad 

Nice weather forecast, 20 degrees and sunny people will find something else to do. 

And they’ll still claim a 30k plus crowd 

• Like 1

Done now, no point being miserable about it.

Tomorrow will be a bit weird but I'd rather it x was Fulham than Liverpool.

Subtle adjustments ready for next year.

Bazunu

Bree Lyanco Bendarek Djenepo

Lavia JWP Alcaraz Sulemana

Mara Ballard

Finnegan and Doyle amongst the subs. Probably harsh on KWP, happy to see him in.

Of course that won't happen, we'll have a lot of nonsense about there still being a chance. Team will be the usual tombola

McCarthy

AMN DCC Bendarek KWP

Orsic JWP Elyounoussi Aribo

Adams Armstrong

Oh I can't wait

1 minute ago, Sussex_saint said:

Selles is still in his little dream world of us possibly surviving - so he'll put out our "strongest team" no doubt, consisting of AA, Mo Ely, AMN and Daillo!

He’s not going to come out and say, “we’re already relegated so no point trying, and no point you turning up” it’s his job. 

Don’t really understand the hate for Selles. He came in, has done a far better job than an experienced manager in Jones has done. He should never have been made manager in the first place. And he’s got a team of players who are clearly not good enough to stay in this league. It wouldn’t have mattered who we had in charge this season IMO. This one is on the board and recruitment team. 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He’s not going to come out and say, “we’re already relegated so no point trying, and no point you turning up” it’s his job. 

Don’t really understand the hate for Selles. He came in, has done a far better job than an experienced manager in Jones has done. He should never have been made manager in the first place. And he’s got a team of players who are clearly not good enough to stay in this league. It wouldn’t have mattered who we had in charge this season IMO. This one is on the board and recruitment team. 

Agree with you. Some of the hate on twitter is just plain weird. He seems like a good bloke with some terrible tools and I bet he has a half decent managerial career. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Agree with you. Some of the hate on twitter is just plain weird. He seems like a good bloke with some terrible tools and I bet he has a half decent managerial career. 

I've seen him called a cunt on here a few times too. 

He's clearly been up against it, inheriting a disjointed squad low on confidence. It was a chance he couldn't turn down as he's clearly ambitious. 

Some of his selections seem a little strange at times but he's a young, inexperienced manager taking a first job in the hardest league in the world. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I've seen him called a cunt on here a few times too. 

He's clearly been up against it, inheriting a disjointed squad low on confidence. It was a chance he couldn't turn down as he's clearly ambitious. 

Some of his selections seem a little strange at times but he's a young, inexperienced manager taking a first job in the hardest league in the world. 

Jones was a cunt and a raging narcissist . Selles seems like a good bloke who was handed an opportunity that he couldn't say no to but realistically wasn't suited to at that point of the season. I don't really blame the board for that decision either, once Marsch turned us down we didn't really have anyone who fancied it. 

I've no idea why people are putting the likes of Doyle and Ballard in the team and talking about next season. How is being thumped 5-0 against teams we wont be playing next season, under a manager who wont be here, in any way beneficial? Selles needs to keep putting out the best team he can, as poor as that will no doubt be, and we can regroup properly in the summer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I've no idea why people are putting the likes of Doyle and Ballard in the team and talking about next season. How is being thumped 5-0 against teams we wont be playing next season, under a manager who wont be here, in any way beneficial? Selles needs to keep putting out the best team he can, as poor as that will no doubt be, and we can regroup properly in the summer.

Keep them on the bench and bring them on when we are winning 4-0.

No, better make that 5..

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I've no idea why people are putting the likes of Doyle and Ballard in the team.

The only reason I do it is to give the forum experts the opportunity to question my poor judgement... ;)

Edited by trousers

I've got to the stage where I fully expect another half decent start, tailing off, opposition start to take control, score, end of game.

I think I would be more annoyed however if we play well and win 2 or 3-0 cos the question then will always be "and you couldnt have played like this even six games ago?"

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yep. Play your best team. Integrate the youngsters pre season under the new manager, and amongst the new playing group, blood them in friendlies, then go from there.

I see no value at all on pushing these lads onto a sunken ship, and putting the smell of relegation on them. They've  enjoyed success at their level, don't ruin that for them. Much better to give them hope for first team football next year in a promotion push from the championship.  

• Like 1

ABK has ruled himself out for the season, he needs a real kick up the arse otherwise he's going to waste his talent.

Id expect Selles to go with Elyounoussi and try and keep things tight before bringing on Armstrong after 70 mins (when were 2-0 down). 

Yawn. 

43 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Absolutely this.  Don’t drag them into what’s been a mess of a season. Selles introducing them now just to enhance his own chances by showing  he’s the man with a vision for next season is wrong.
Let them start afresh in the summer under a new manager…hopefully! 

• Like 1

I don't hate Selles, but I don't want him as the manager and personally I don't think he has helped matters with some terrible team selections and tactical decisions. Ultimately though he has a fairly poor set of players to work with and that isn't his fault.

I wish him well after the season.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, obelisk said:

I suspect we'll be seeing a number of players feeling a tight this or that muscle over the next couple of weeks and relegating themselves to the stands where their agent can more easily find them.

Yep. They're mercenaries, but would you risk injury when relegation is certain, or stay injury free to make sure you're fit enough to get a move? 

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

I don't hate Selles, but I don't want him as the manager and personally I don't think he has helped matters with some terrible team selections and tactical decisions. Ultimately though he has a fairly poor set of players to work with and that isn't his fault.

I wish him well after the season.

Ditto. I'd add to that the fact that he lacks experience and doesn't have any coaches or assistant around him with experience at this level. It feels a bit Ted Lasso to be honest. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sussex_saint said:

Selles seems alright as a guy, but no competent manager would ever start AA. I don't care how new he is, but for me that's a sign to not keep him over the summer. 

Selles love seems to be the same as me with saints this season (shit loss we're going down, 2 days later i'd think we'll stay up again). After a while from the previous game you become deluded again and think he's actually a good manager not his fault. Give it a few hours and everyone will remember his terrible subs, team selection, tactics etc. He is on par with Jones. Yes it's the boards fault this season, but any other prem manager would have achieved more points in his stint as permanent manager.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2023 at 00:44, Saint Paul C said:

Play the so long, and thanks for nothing team

Macca

AMN - Caleta-Carr - Salisu - Diallo

Aribo - Djenpro - Orsic

Elyounoussi - Onuachu - A Armstrong

I can't think of a single reason why we would want any of these players at the club next season.

In a nutshell! 

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

ABK has ruled himself out for the season, he needs a real kick up the arse otherwise he's going to waste his talent.

Id expect Selles to go with Elyounoussi and try and keep things tight before bringing on Armstrong after 70 mins (when were 2-0 down). 

Yawn. 

That kick up the arse will probably rule him out further as he's such a delicate soul.

If AMN is lining up at left back again i think I’ll scream. He was pathetically bad against forest. That said, with Perraud out, I think the best we can hope for is AMN on the right and KWP left, I don’t think Selles will play Lyanco at RB as I think he’ll fill in at CB for ABK; and I certainly don’t see Selles bringing in Bree, who must be close to forgetting what playing in a football match is like.

Aside from that I reckon it’s pretty much the side that started against Forest.

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

If AMN is lining up at left back again i think I’ll scream. He was pathetically bad against forest. That said, with Perraud out, I think the best we can hope for is AMN on the right and KWP left, I don’t think Selles will play Lyanco at RB as I think he’ll fill in at CB for ABK; and I certainly don’t see Selles bringing in Bree, who must be close to forgetting what playing in a football match is like.

What has Bree done to upset Selles? 

I think we should play him so that we can begin to prepare for next season.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

What has Bree done to upset Selles? 

I think we should play him so that we can begin to prepare for next season.

I said last week, I feel sorry for Bree. Obviously he was a previous favourite of Jones and once Jones was gone Bree hasn’t had a look in. He never looked a world beater but he did alright. AMN has been shit all season and had an absolute disaster of a game against Forest, just hopeless all game, so if Bree can’t get in ahead of that then he’s never going to under Selles.

• Like 5

Bree was one of the top full backs in the championship and I hope he plays a good role next season, with Tino gradually inter grated back in and maybe even tried occasionally in a more attacking position (which was called for at time last season). 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Has he? 

Statistically one of the worst managers we’ve ever had.

He has been beyond awful. Weird subs, weird tactics. Awful football. Not all his fault of course, but he hasn’t done a far better job than Jones. He just spouts less shit

• Like 1

On 09/05/2023 at 18:46, Ted Bates Statue said:

It's a must-win game if we are to have any chance of staying up. Need to treat every game like a cup final from here on in.

Fingers crossed our home crowd can roar our lads on to victory and help Selles stake his claim to being our manager next season.

We have to win all three games to have even a glimmer of a hope. Not a chance. If we don't win today we shall be down before 5 o'clock.

Relax and accept the inevitable. 

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Your wish is granted.

Couldn't give a shiny shit about this week's tombola teamsheet but you've got to feel for Edozie. Nowhere to be seen despite being pretty lively (with no end product ususlly). He's not great but we're down and he could be a vital player next season. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Fulham - Saints Relegated
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic