Lyanco in midfield?

Oldandtired

My son and I were having a discussion awhile back and the subject of a good defensive midfielder came up. We don’t think that Romeu has ever been replaced and we were wondering if perhaps Lyanco could fill that role. He is obviously a stopper, he’s quick and seems to have vision and a bit of flair about him.

There are probably quite a few reasons for this not to happen, but we just wondered if it was worth a go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

My son and I were having a discussion awhile back and the subject of a good defensive midfielder came up. We don’t think that Romeu has ever been replaced and we were wondering if perhaps Lyanco could fill that role. He is obviously a stopper, he’s quick and seems to have vision and a bit of flair about him.

There are probably quite a few reasons for this not to happen, but we just wondered if it was worth a go.

i'd like his next club to try that option, preferably in the next couple of weeks 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 15

9 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Martin/Wilcox clearly see his future away from the club (rightly so) with the failed move to Turkey and stripping him of the number 4 shirt.

23 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT.....

21 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

An interesting discussion no doubt and you make some interesting points. One of the main reasons for it not happening is he's a really shit footballer. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Oldandtired said:

Fess up O&T is you Papa Lyanco? 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone else's midfield I don't mind a bit. Ours? Not a chance, thanks.

I get the thought behind it. But Martin, and others are looking for a skillset of control, possession, timed distribution and game management. A guy banging his chest and rushing in to do what he likes might not be the best fit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Brings back fond memories of the Jack Stephens as a defensive midfielder theory. The practice was awful.

Oh, that idea was struck well before that. Dan Seaborne as the front sweeper was a thing mooted on here once upon a time. I dare say it dates back even further than that.

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Oh, that idea was struck well before that. Dan Seaborne as the front sweeper was a thing mooted on here once upon a time. I dare say it dates back even further than that.

Alan Neilson is one that springs to mind as a defender that played in midfield...

7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Didnt he get thrown on up front at some point too? Modern day Paul Warhurst.

Or Chris Sutton...

I rather see him up front and as far away from our goal as possible...

Plus can he be much worse than our current strikers?

9 hours ago, IFHP said:

What’s the fascination by some fans that somehow shit centre backs will make good defensive midfielders ?  

He can tackle, he has decent technical skill on the ball, he's not good enough in the air to play CB effectively, and when he has one of his brain explosions it'll be further away from the goal.

A proper midfield enforcer to go around smashing into opposition attackers when they're on the break is better than a Smallbone/JWP they'd be less afraid of. The reason Lyanco is as popular as he is is because he's one of the few players in the past few years to show a bit of aggression and passion and get stuck in. There's less value in that now that we're in the Championship and should be a big fish in a small pond (dominating possession and relying on a skill advantage to win games) rather than the reverse, but in the past couple of years having someone who could lift the crowd and his teammates by throwing himself into a tackle or two would've been considerably better at DM than Diallo was.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chiknsmack said:

He can tackle, he has decent technical skill on the ball, he's not good enough in the air to play CB effectively, and when he has one of his brain explosions it'll be further away from the goal.

A proper midfield enforcer to go around smashing into opposition attackers when they're on the break is better than a Smallbone/JWP they'd be less afraid of. The reason Lyanco is as popular as he is is because he's one of the few players in the past few years to show a bit of aggression and passion and get stuck in. There's less value in that now that we're in the Championship and should be a big fish in a small pond (dominating possession and relying on a skill advantage to win games) rather than the reverse, but in the past couple of years having someone who could lift the crowd and his teammates by throwing himself into a tackle or two would've been considerably better at DM than Diallo was.

He is too aggressive. This leads to him over hitting the ball. In midfield what is needed is someone with a cool head. Someone who can pick up intercepts, snuff out threats and play silky, controlled passes to his teammates.

53 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

This is like buying a car, finding out it won't start but trying to console yourself by thinking if you wedge a bottle of beer under the wheel arch it works like a very poor bottle opener.

This deserves a quote post!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He is too aggressive. This leads to him over hitting the ball. In midfield what is needed is someone with a cool head. Someone who can pick up intercepts, snuff out threats and play silky, controlled passes to his teammates.

You mean JWP