Taylor Harwood-Bellis

Saint Scott

4 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

TBH on loan is a great addition. Bit odd from City perspective as he’s out of contract in the summer, half expecting him to sign a one yr extension so they still have option to sell for money next summer. 

Maybe they’re doing us a favour after they did so well out of Lavia.

• Like 1

I like this a lot, hope it happens. England u21 captain, experience of winning this league, big, strong and great on the ball. Perfect signing for us at CB. 

We were disappointed we weren’t in for Doyle who went to Leicester on loan. Am I right in thinking THB is the better player?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

The echo, telegraph and talksport all seem confident a season long loan is close.

Stephens, Bednarek, THB and Holgate is great strength in depth with Charles able to drop in too if needed

You know if this falls through you will be blamed for starting the thread and jinxing the transfer 🙂

• Haha 1

Very good player at this level, very good signing. Akin to the Flynn Downes one for me, exactly the sort of deal we should be looking at. 

Does leave us with 4 CB's who'll expect to be starting though - It'll be interesting to see how Martin manages that situation... CB is one of the positions you want a consistent 2 playing together every week. 

Is it a sign we will be moving towards a back 3? or Is bednerak off?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, goodymatt said:

I like this a lot, hope it happens. England u21 captain, experience of winning this league, big, strong and great on the ball. Perfect signing for us at CB. 

We were disappointed we weren’t in for Doyle who went to Leicester on loan. Am I right in thinking THB is the better player?

I really like Doyle, probably not too much in it. Different type of CB's though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Very good player at this level, very good signing. Akin to the Flynn Downes one for me, exactly the sort of deal we should be looking at. 

Does leave us with 4 CB's who'll expect to be starting though - It'll be interesting to see how Martin manages that situation... CB is one of the positions you want a consistent 2 playing together every week. 

Is it a sign we will be moving towards a back 3? or Is bednerak off?

We also got that kid from Arsenal who was meant to be part of the first team squad (if memory serves). Does seem a lot of numbers even if ABK goes.

Have to think Bednarek is not a certain starter now.

9 minutes ago, Suhari said:

We also got that kid from Arsenal who was meant to be part of the first team squad (if memory serves). Does seem a lot of numbers even if ABK goes.

Have to think Bednarek is not a certain starter now.

If you mean Zach Awe then he joined the U21s not the first team.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

If you mean Zach Awe then he joined the U21s not the first team.

Yep, this guy.

I recall it being reported he joined up with the u21s temporarily because of the first team squad being so large (at the time). Could be I'm mistaken though.

(Great name, too).

30 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Excited this one, really good for Burnley last season. 

Think he had his medical yesterday

Im still very surprised he's coming, thought there would be a load of lower half premier league sides queuing up for him. If i'm honest i'm not really sure what he gains from coming to us, he's proven he can do it in the championship and then some, you'd think he'd want to test himself either in the premier league or abroad if another loan. Anyway,  great deal to pull off. Maybe (hopefully) we've agreed to sign him if we go up?

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Im still very surprised he's coming, thought there would be a load of lower half premier league sides queuing up for him. If i'm honest i'm not really sure what he gains from coming to us, he's proven he can do it in the championship and then some, you'd think he'd want to test himself either in the premier league or abroad if another loan. Anyway,  great deal to pull off. Maybe (hopefully) we've agreed to sign him if we go up?

He's going to get a lot of practice at defending 🤣😂

Plus Martinball is probably good practice for Pepball

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Wilcox did say at the fans forum recently, that he has agents of young players ringing him up trying to get their players into Southampton as it's a great place for them to learn and grow, especially when they're pretty much guaranteed to play every week.

If City want £15m then that seems pretty cheap to me, but I would assume there is a pretty low buy back + sell on % included which teams aren't willing to sign up to. If we can bring him in, and he has another great season where he plays every game, then City can flog him next year for bigger money to a prem side, (possibly us !)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Wilcox did say at the fans forum recently, that he has agents of young players ringing him up trying to get their players into Southampton as it's a great place for them to learn and grow, especially when they're pretty much guaranteed to play every week.

If City want £15m then that seems pretty cheap to me, but I would assume there is a pretty low buy back + sell on % included which teams aren't willing to sign up to. If we can bring him in, and he has another great season where he plays every game, then City can flog him next year for bigger money to a prem side, (possibly us !)

Yeah you'd think there would be a lot of takers at that price. Anyway, great to get this one done, very, very good player who is exactly what we need.

8 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Exciting. Leeds press saying "Southampton have elbowed us out of the way to get THB." :) yeah baby

I was still hoping we would also get Nathan Wood as well. I don't like the idea of asking DM (Downes, Charles) to fill in. We need them in their proper places.

THB 

Stephens 

Bednarek 

Holgate 

Realistically, we aren't likely to get anyone else. 

• Like 1

If his medical was today then I assume today he will sign and do PR photos so could be announced any time tbh

I still expect he has signed a year extension with city so they protect their investment as he’s out of contract in the summer. 

If this transfer occurs, it will obviously be pretty late in the window, but seemingly it couldn't happen until now, as his availability on loan only seems to have cropped up near the end of the window. Does that mean that waiting and being patient (and not getting another guy in early) might be a good idea at times if it means you ultimately get the best player in the end?

I am very interested to see THB play, as I thought Woods looked a good option and most on here seem to think he is even better.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

If this transfer occurs, it will obviously be pretty late in the window, but seemingly it couldn't happen until now, as his availability on loan only seems to have cropped up near the end of the window. Does that mean that waiting and being patient (and not getting another guy in early) might be a good idea at times if it means you ultimately get the best player in the end?

I am very interested to see THB play, as I thought Woods looked a good option and most on here seem to think he is even better.  

Your first paragraph is an excellent point, this is exactly why deals don’t happen until deadline day or there or thereabouts, situations change dramatically. 

22 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Indeed.  Standard for many loans from the Prem.

Need a fair bit of flexibility on who you are bringing in then. Several targets for each position, and all sounded out in advance with provisional discussions held between all parties. Very challenging to get deas over the line. Must be great when one is concluded. BY then most of us fans have got bored of it and have moved on to the next rumour.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Need a fair bit of flexibility on who you are bringing in then. Several targets for each position, and all sounded out in advance with provisional discussions held between all parties. Very challenging to get deas over the line. Must be great when one is concluded. BY then most of us fans have got bored of it and have moved on to the next rumour.

Speaking for myself only, I get bored of it and have moved on to the next rumour in half a day max 😀

I was talking to an ex pro recently about player medicals in the 1970's.

Apparently you sat on a chair and the club medic listened to your heart, checked blood pressure and wiggled your legs about a bit and that was it.

If there was any history of broken bones (much more common then) or cartilage damage a player may be sent for an X-Ray if the club could afford it.

Bit different now!!

• Like 1

Just now, spyinthesky said:

Apparently you sat on a chair and the club medic listened to your heart, checked blood pressure and wiggled your legs about a bit and that was it.

If there was any history of broken bones (much more common then) or cartilage damage a player may be sent for an X-Ray if the club could afford it.

Bit different now!!

the days of the magic sponge and if you were seriously injured stick a cortisone injection in your knee and run it off you big poof.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Bit different now!!

So how did Asa Hartford fail? (a question for the old ones)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iansums said:

Of course, hole in the heart, amazing what you can discover by wiggling a leg.

Think Barry Davies a few years later inadvertently described Asa Hartford whilst playing for Everton as a ‘hole hearted player’.

• Haha 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Taylor Harwood-Bellis