Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

Whilst Holgate has looked better at RB than CB, it's all relative / pointless when he's inevitably going to make the basic errors that some of us were highlighting he was renowned for when he joined... I've still got the words of my Everton supporting brother ringing in my ears: "he's division 1 standard, if that, not championship"....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

he's playing RB with KWP on the left

Bit harsh to go all in on him after his poor debut - reckon he can do the job at RB today and will bring much needed height on 1 flank at least, will be more conservative going forward so I expect our entire team to be much much more solid, then we bring on edozie and sulemana at 70mins to destroy the boro team. 

Zoom GIF

ignore all my posts in future - I will put this up there with the kompany will be a shit manager for burnley in the championship hall of fame wrong takes.

• Haha 1

Looked lucky not to give a pelanty away there too. If matey had gone down, reckon ref would have blown.

Better shape but if we have midfield cover we don't need Downes and Smallbone. Provided Charles and Downes are disciplined, we can get Alcaraz in there. 

Also, not sure why you would pick Holgate over Bree. Bree isn't amazing but he was regarded as a very good Championship full back, and our full backs are actually playing in full back roles today.

Important 45 mins coming up!

Not surprised in the slightest at Holgate's fuck up for their goal. It's his speciality. Saw it so many times with him at Everton. I had hoped the drop down a level might mean they won't be punished so often but apparently not.

As for Bazunu - he's got to be saving that FFS. It was a decent hit but nowhere near the corner. The amount of times he gets a hand to a shot but can't keep it out is very worrying. It isn't just bad luck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Billy said:

Don't even think about blaming that on Bazunu.

Why not?  His job is to stop shots on goal. He got a strong hand to it and still managed to guide it into the back of the net.  He shouldn’t be getting beaten at his near post like that, regardless of Holgate nausing up before.  Holgate at fault too but a competent keeper does better there.

• Like 2

Even game against the bottom club. Boro growing into it as the half wore on.

Not sure it's very reassuring that we're holding our own against the worst team in the league, but here are.

I think we'll nick it anyway in the second half. Not much quality on show, but what little there is is wearing white.

Just now, sambosa75 said:

Why not?  His job is to stop shots on goal. He got a strong hand to it and still managed to guide it into the back of the net.  He shouldn’t be getting beaten at his near post like that, regardless of Holgate nausing up before.  Holgate at fault too but a competent keeper does better there.

That’s his speciality. He’s an expert at guiding it into the net. He knows exactly what strength he needs in his wrists to ably caress it home. A true goalkeeping artist. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sambosa75 said:

Not sure I am calling that near post given the bloke shot near the D at the edge of the box, he got a strong hand to it but the shot was just hard, it happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

HT

Bar our goal, very low on quality. Better shape but they have been about to get at our goal, and they are bottom ffs

Not sure I agree with Dean Hammond with the 'Saints have been excellent for 43 minutes' line

i’m watching it and they haven’t been

boro have been the better side 

it’s been relatively easy for them to get through midfield and onto our defence particularly down the right

thought Bazanu should have saved it 

not sure what smallbone is adding.  

i get it people are completely pissed off with season after season shit performances and today yet another giveaway goal BUT please stop being such a bunch of complete twats and getting on the keepers back, it's 100% Holgates fault. The power of the shot has beaten Baz, it is not his fault at all but so many of you love a scapegoat!!

• Like 7

Just now, BARCELONASAINT said:

i get it people are completely pissed off with season after season shit performances and today yet another giveaway goal BUT please stop being such a bunch of complete twats and getting on the keepers back, it's 100% Holgates fault. The power of the shot has beaten Baz, it is not his fault at all but so many of you love a scapegoat!!

Agree holgate is utter shit

• Haha 1

All too bloody often when Bazunu is concerned.

Why blame Bazunu when the fault lies with the numpties who bought him and made him the undroppable #1. He is not up to being our starting keeper but keeps getting selected. This is probably the best level of performance he is currently capable of.

• Like 1

All too bloody often when Bazunu is concerned.

Because he's playing behind our defence, which seems to be made up of different players every week and is consistently sh*te. We aren't getting a keeper in this league who you can just slam shots against all day and he keeps them all out. Baz could have done better with three of the eighteen goals we've conceded this season. That should tell you that the main problem is elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not surprised in the slightest at Holgate's fuck up for their goal. It's his speciality. Saw it so many times with him at Everton. I had hoped the drop down a level might mean they won't be punished so often but apparently not.

As for Bazunu - he's got to be saving that FFS. It was a decent hit but nowhere near the corner. The amount of times he gets a hand to a shot but can't keep it out is very worrying. It isn't just bad luck.

Bazunu - it happens over and over again. Gets a hand to it but never pushes it away from the goal. When it happens over and over again, like you say, the problem is the keeper 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Because he's playing behind our defence, which seems to be made up of different players every week and is consistently sh*te. We aren't getting a keeper in this league who you can just slam shots against all day and he keeps them all out. Baz could have done better with three of the eighteen goals we've conceded this season. That should tell you that the main problem is elsewhere.

Nobody is asking for that. We're asking for a keeper who keeps anything out.

3/18 is absolute bollocks as well. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Why blame Bazunu when the fault lies with the numpties who bought him and made him the undroppable #1. He is not up to being our starting keeper but keeps getting selected. This is probably the best level of performance he is currently capable of.

I refer you to my post about 10 mins ago.  I’ve stopped blaming him.  It’s not his fault he’s just not up to it.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Middlesbrough 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic