January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

Tella situation is silly. We loan them a player with no option to buy and he becomes their top scorer for the season and helps them get promoted. They took the piss with a £9m bid and the social media ‘Free Tella’ stuff. He went to Leverkusen for £20m. Any club would have done the same, our asset and no obligation to sell to anyone.

If anything Burnley should return our favour and help us with our promotion by loaning us a decent player, if they want to be all sentimental. As if!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Why would they want to help us back into the Premiership when there is every chance they will be relegated this season!

For the same reason that we loaned them Tella last season - to get a decent loan fee for a player that is deemed surplus to requirements and put him in the shop window to attract a decent permanent fee the following summer.

There's no room for petty grudges when you're talking about a potential multi-million pound deal.

• Like 2

Personally I think Burnley would be better loaning us Benson, and if he helps get us promoted and we want him permanently they can be petty and refuse to sell him to us because they want him to stay in the Championship with them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I thought the Perraud loan deal to Nice was really a permanent deal - just a loan for now to help them out of an FFP hole - and it will be made permanent in the summer.

I thought that was the Caleta-Car deal with Lyon.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

For the same reason that we loaned them Tella last season - to get a decent loan fee for a player that is deemed surplus to requirements and put him in the shop window to attract a decent permanent fee the following summer.

There's no room for petty grudges when you're talking about a potential multi-million pound deal.

I'm not so sure, seems like that Burnley Chairman would put his ego before anything else. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I think it is safe to safe Burnley were royally pissed off with us refusing to budge over the Tella deal. Look at the chairmans daughter antics on social media "free Tella".

They were made to look very stupid and we were not budging on our valuation.

Why would they want to help us back into the Premiership when there is every chance they will be relegated this season!

What differnce does that make? If anything, surely it would be better for them if we weren't in the same leauge (championship) next season. 

If us & leeds go up, its a significantly weaker leauge for them next season. 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I do not necessarily agree. A premier league player on the edges of a first 11 would probably back themselves to get good game time as a right forward, should we be pushing to bring them in. 

Yes in theory, however fringe players for Bournemouth & Burnley won't normally be a massive step up from what we have.  The RW & LB slots would be the easiest to get a foothold in the team though 

1 minute ago, Barsiem said:

Yes in theory, however fringe players for Bournemouth & Burnley won't normally be a massive step up from what we have.  The RW & LB slots would be the easiest to get a foothold in the team though 

But they (David Brooks, Carvalho et al) would be better than playing our RB up front.

49 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Fabio Carvalho is off then. That rumour lasted a whole three days. 😂

Check the CoT thread, everything you need to know about this deal is in there

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

But they (David Brooks, Carvalho et al) would be better than playing our RB up front.

I like the idea of Brooks, but let's be honest we're not getting the player he was before his illness, as he's still making his way back to that (no criticism, good luck to him of course), so we don't know how he'd be on joining. Interestingly I noticed he was taken off at HT at QPR on Saturday, no idea if that was tactical, or he hadn't made any impact.  

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'm not so sure, seems like that Burnley Chairman would put his ego before anything else. 

He seems to have a bit of a grievance with us, didn't he make a dismissive comment about SFC on buying Burnley ? Suggested at the time that an approach to buy us was knocked back by those in control at the time.

Edited by Badger

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I thought that was the Caleta-Car deal with Lyon.

the Caleta-Car deal was definitely that way - and reading between the lines from the media reports at the time the Perraud deal with Nice was similar.  But maybe I am just imagining that. On transfermarkt it says they have an option to buy.

I don't think Perraud will come back to Saints as he will only have a year left on his contract in the summer.  I think he will move to another club somewhere in Europe if its not Nice. He was a committed player and good going forward with the ball he wasn't the best defensively. 

Chances are with Meghoma, Larios, Vokins and Manning all on the books we won't buy another left back until we shift some of these.  Vokins is out of contract in the summer and its doesn't look like we see Larios on the pitch anytime soon.  Bith Larios and Vokins are a bit on the small side for the defensive side of being a left back.

2 hours ago, Dman said:

What differnce does that make? If anything, surely it would be better for them if we weren't in the same leauge (championship) next season. 

If us & leeds go up, its a significantly weaker leauge for them next season. 

You do realise that IF we fail to go up this season we WILL have to start from scratch again. There is no way the Saints team currently playing would be the same Saints team if we fail to go up.

KWP gone, THB gone, Bednarek gone, Smallbone gone, Downes gone, Sully gone, Alcaraz gone, Frazer gone, Stu Armstrong gone and thats just the obvious ones.

Burnley even if they lose players are still likely to be in better position than us and will see themselves as a better bet of going back up rather than worry about us!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

You do realise that IF we fail to go up this season we WILL have to start from scratch again. There is no way the Saints team currently playing would be the same Saints team if we fail to go up.

KWP gone, THB gone, Bednarek gone, Smallbone gone, Downes gone, Sully gone, Alcaraz gone, Frazer gone, Stu Armstrong gone and thats just the obvious ones.

Burnley even if they lose players are still likely to be in better position than us and will see themselves as a better bet of going back up rather than worry about us!

I don't think Smallbone going is obvious. I could realistically see a team of:

Bazunu 

Bree Stephens new signing Manning 

Adam Armstrong Charles Smallbone Edozie 

Aribo

Stewart 

Now we may lose a couple of them and we would certainly need to strengthen at the back, but we won't be starting again the same way we have had to this year. We will have a lower quality squad but the advantage of having less players having to learn the new system. I reckon we'd have an excellent chance of automatic promotion if we fail this year. Let's hope we don't have to go through it though because losing our best players will be quite gutting. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Where will Smallbone transfer to then? The Premier League?

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Haha 1

Seems like we are after a technical player (in the Lallana mould) rather than another pacy type. Makes sense given the make up of our attack as we haven't really got any guile-type attackers. I can see Brooks happening - he fits the bill in terms of being technical and knowing the EFL and would probably feel like he has something to prove at 26 and with a possible Euros at the end of the season.

Clearly there are a lot of games in Feb/March but if Sulemana and Edozie are back in time for those then we do only need to sign someone in this position if they are a player who is good enough to start a lot of games between now and the end of the season.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Seems like we are after a technical player (in the Lallana mould) rather than another pacy type. Makes sense given the make up of our attack as we haven't really got any guile-type attackers. I can see Brooks happening - he fits the bill in terms of being technical and knowing the EFL and would probably feel like he has something to prove at 26 and with a possible Euros at the end of the season.

Clearly there are a lot of games in Feb/March but if Sulemana and Edozie are back in time for those then we do only need to sign someone in this position if they are a player who is good enough to start a lot of games between now and the end of the season.

I like Brooks.  Seems like a Russell Martin-type player.  Our lord & saviour Jason Wilcox coached Brooks at City.

Edited by SuperSAINT
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I like Brooks.  Seems like a Russell Martin-type player.  Our lord & saviour Jason Wilcox coached Brooks at City.

Likewise. He sure does. Good point, for the U18s, but didn't he let him go at the end of that season? 

4 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think Smallbone going is obvious. I could realistically see a team of:

Bazunu 

Bree Stephens new signing Manning 

Adam Armstrong Charles Smallbone Edozie 

Aribo

Stewart 

Now we may lose a couple of them and we would certainly need to strengthen at the back, but we won't be starting again the same way we have had to this year. We will have a lower quality squad but the advantage of having less players having to learn the new system. I reckon we'd have an excellent chance of automatic promotion if we fail this year. Let's hope we don't have to go through it though because losing our best players will be quite gutting. 

fuck me forgot about stewart...............................who?..................exactly.

2 hours ago, Fraser Spinney said:

The last Diallo we had in midfield is a low hurdle for us to better.  Let’s hope this Djalo does better than him.

Or play Diallo on the wing as an attacker: 

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

No Diallo in the United squad tonight. Unless hes injured, you would expect players like that to be involved for an FA Cup game against Wigan. Unless hes on the move.....

He’ just got to be better than two of our injured AMs.

8 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Brookes was absolute quality when he was breaking through at bompey before his illness. I'd snap their hands off to have him at saints permanently (let alone as a loan). Although obviously only if he's fully recovered - I guess a loan with a purchase agreement might be a good deal all around. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Brookes was absolute quality when he was breaking through at bompey before his illness. I'd snap their hands off to have him at saints permanently (let alone as a loan). Although obviously only if he's fully recovered - I guess a loan with a purchase agreement might be a good deal all around. 

Yes I’ve read Bournemouth fans who thought he was the most gifted player to pull on the shirt .. looked set for a big move before the illness.. he could be a massive massive coup if we could get a obligation to buy deal.. but not sure why Bournemouth would want to let him leave permanently 

If Amed Diallo is going anywhere surely he would go back to Sunderland? 

I’ve not been able to ascertain his fitness but when and if fit then he would obvs be a prime candidate for this apparent left footed right wing type player we are supposedly keen on. His wages are £28.5k pw so that’s not a problem and he has obviously scored at Champ level last season including plenty beauties cutting in from the right and left foot curling it - essentially what KWP has done couple of times this season. 

Only question mark is his defensive awareness. AA and RF are excellent role models in that regard. Sam has definitely improved over the course of the season but KS and Amo are still not quite there on that..

If he really commits to off the ball tracking work then would be a high quality signing. But I still figure Sunderland would be first choice. Ryan Fraser is showing that if you are a genuine class player then that skill + 100% fitness + high football intelligence = plenty goals and assists in the Championship. 

Frankly though, given how underwhelming Antony has been I’m surprised Manutd don’t try him instead of the players on 10-15X his wage…

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

To be fair, despite it being irksome and repetitive at times, it’s first class trolling from @Turkishand his cot chums. 

IF they are privy to inside info - say on Amed - but are not supposed to tell - then they won’t tell. Jobs, careers and a lot of money are at stake plus reputations and confidences.  Not negotiable really. 

With clubs like Saints in particular - notorious for wanting to keep stuff under wraps until the last minute - and teams like MUFC having millions of fans around the world searching for ANY. news on their players IF the info still gets leaked out into the public domain it can only therefore be via it being illegitimate ( ie stolen or unauthorised disclosure), accidental ( Agent leaving his email on bringing amed in on loan open for the secretary to see who happens to tell her saints supporting bf) , sheer stupidity of the player or their entourage  ( Amed telling his bruv in the nightclub he “going south “ soon with smile on his face ) - or done with express purpose of encouraging bids or contract renewals for their client ( Amed you need to play man yoo first team so if I can invent bunch of demand from other credible teams maybe ten Haag gives you a chance and your wages gonna be ten times the present in no time at all.

That’s like a million pounds a month for the kid. And a big wedge for his agent. It’s big money not amateur hour stuff. 

Posting “clues” that might identify Amed is the same as posting his name on the internet - if the clues are genuine. In which case the provenance would be as the above para. And it’s a very big problem ( unless it’s done specifically for the purpose explained) 

Posting “ clues” that might identify a target but are actually just BS is simple trolling. And can be remarkably successful. The internet is full of the click bait approach to marketing. 

Difficult to tell but the more clues usually the less inclined I am to trust the source and to think it’s all just a fun game for some mildly bored 😄adults on the Interweb. 

Worth mentioning, Brooks could be a smoke screen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yes I’ve read Bournemouth fans who thought he was the most gifted player to pull on the shirt .. looked set for a big move before the illness.. he could be a massive massive coup if we could get a obligation to buy deal.. but not sure why Bournemouth would want to let him leave permanently 

If you have a slow build up play like we do, you need that genuine quality (touch and pass) in the final third and that's exactly what he seemed to offer before the illness. You can never have too many quality attacking players, so he'd be welcome with open arms. However, although he's not starting games or even getting a lot of minutes, he is on the bench for every single game. Prem sides usually only loan out players that aren't even getting on the bench, so I can't see that happening, sadly, but I've been wrong before...

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

There seems to be a load of players we've identified and probably going down the list making enquiries. Clearly we're after a wide creative player.

• Benson
  • Brooks
  • Carvalho
  • Patrick Roberts in the summer also

It's certainly an interesting one, with Edozie, Sulemana, Fraser, Armstrong, Sam Amo, Alcaraz that have all played in parts there this season. Can't see Adam Armstrong not playing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

There seems to be a load of players we've identified and probably going down the list making enquiries. Clearly we're after a wide creative player.

• Benson
  • Brooks
  • Carvalho
  • Patrick Roberts in the summer also

It's certainly an interesting one, with Edozie, Sulemana, Fraser, Armstrong, Sam Amo, Alcaraz that have all played in parts there this season. Can't see Adam Armstrong not playing.

I'm almost certain Sulemena is off in the summer (my own opinion that is).

Edited by Harry_SFC

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think he would have gone in January if he was fit

Maybe. But I'm not sure we will allow him to leave without a huge loan fee or a transfer fee similar to what we paid. Who would be willing to pay either of those right now?

If we go up and he performs well in the Prem, he could be worth a lot more than we paid for him. I think the management see this, so won't be quick to cut their losses.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

Maybe. But I'm not sure we will allow him to leave without a huge loan fee or a transfer fee similar to what we paid. Who would be willing to pay either of those right now?

If we go up and he performs well in the Prem, he could be worth a lot more than we paid for him. I think the management see this, so won't be quick to cut their losses.

Absolutely. We would have only let him go on our terms. Just get the feeling for all Martin talking him up prior to his injury, he wouldn't be too bothered to lose him

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Prem sides usually only loan out players that aren't even getting on the bench, so I can't see that happening, sadly, but I've been wrong before...

If he gets a half season of first team football then he could be a starting player for them next season. That's the incentive