January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

3 Premier League clubs interested in Che Adams according to SSN.

I wonder if one could be Bournemouth and there is something in the Brooks deal. Solanke is being linked with some big moves atm…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

I wonder if one could be Bournemouth and there is something in the Brooks deal. Solanke is being linked with some big moves atm…

Keiffer Moore is likely off too, so maybe they want a replacement for him also.

No suprise of interest in Adams. To get 27yo homegrown striker with 3 years PL experience for a fee of less than £5m and sensible wages will suit a fair few.

He also seems like a good egg and his injury/availability record is also very good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Dusic said:

No suprise of interest in Adams. To get 27yo homegrown striker with 3 years PL experience for a fee of less than £5m and sensible wages will suit a fair few.

He also seems like a good egg and his injury/availability record is also very good.

He didn't sign any contract we may have offered, I am guessing because our wages were too `sensible' . I just wonder what he had in mind (in terms of wage) back then, and what is likely now.

17 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Probably better all round if Che goes this window, assuming we sign a replacement that is fit.

No way will he be risking injury if he runs his contract down to the end of the season.

Good point. He won’t “down tools” but it’s his last big payday and one simple injury could cost him literally millions. 

I hope his agent sits him down and tells him that it’s better to get a new two or better three year deal with ANY club at a moderate salary than hold out until end of season for a sign on bonus in the EPL but don’t get injured as you’re ducked. Should be a win- win for him - and Saints. 

He could literally bust a gut for new team knowing he’s got that contract rather than having that fear back of his head. And in his place we could get someone who IS determined to do whatever it takes to earn a new deal AND a small fee which may be put towards new blood. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

A good investment by any standard.

Unless your standard is signing a striker who can actually score.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Suhari said:

A good investment by any standard.

Unless your standard is signing a striker who can actually score.

Many sides don't have £30m to spend, and even that is no guarentee when you consider the likes of Beto, Fabio Silva, Scamacca, Cunha etc.

Adams is a decent striker, scored 9 PL goals a couple of seasons ago and 7 after that. Not a groundbreaking number of course but for a minimal fee a solid buy, hence why there is interest.

Don't really understand why he is seen as some kind of joke figure by some on here; seems to me like an honest player with some good attributes, especially when paired with another striker. In his 3.5 years at Saints we have largely been a better team when he has been in it.

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Many sides don't have £30m to spend, and even that is no guarentee when you consider the likes of Beto, Fabio Silva, Scamacca, Cunha etc.

Adams is a decent striker, scored 9 PL goals a couple of seasons ago and 7 after that. Not a groundbreaking number of course but for a minimal fee a solid buy, hence why there is interest.

Don't really understand why he is seen as some kind of joke figure by some on here; seems to me like an honest player with some good attributes, especially when paired with another striker. In his 3.5 years at Saints we have largely been a better team when he has been in it.

Cos he’s a terrible terrible finisher, even easy chances on a plate he can either scuff or overthink .. I can just about tolerate having him as a squad option in the championship where we get a ton of chances and it doesn’t hurt as much if he misses a chance .. 

Hope to god we don’t give him a new contract though 

• Like 1

its funny, all summer long there were people on here telling us how it was imperative that we keep Che rather than cash in and reinvest. Where are those same posters suggesting we can't sell him now, even for buttons? 

Knowing when best to sell/let players go is essential to ensure continued progress. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Leicester splashing the cash

He was a regular for them last season, but he's only played 28 minutes for them this. What happened?

65 points from 26 games. Players joining them now are joining a Prem bound side. Easy sell.

Edited by Chez

1 hour ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Suicide unless we have a replacement lined which is at least as good as Adams. 

Suicide? Not sure our promotion challenge completely dies with his departure, but it would certainly be a gap that needed filling. 

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

its funny, all summer long there were people on here telling us how it was imperative that we keep Che rather than cash in and reinvest. Where are those same posters suggesting we can't sell him now, even for buttons? 

Knowing when best to sell/let players go is essential to ensure continued progress. 

I'm here. I think it'd be a huge mistake.

We'd be one AA injury away from having no proven goalscorer at this level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

The situation hasn't changed. Its silly to sell him for minimal fee unless we've got an adequate replacement lined up - If his goals fire us to promotion then any £5-10M fee we get this window is negligible in comparison. I would think this should be so bleeding obvious that it shouldn't need pointing it out?

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The situation hasn't changed. Its silly to sell him for minimal fee unless we've got an adequate replacement lined up - If his goals fire us to promotion then any £5-10M fee we get this window is negligible in comparison. I would think this should be so bleeding obvious that it shouldn't need pointing it out?

It would be hard to believe the Club hasn't got a replacement, lined up, in the wings, ready to drop, but there again, no club would accept a deal from us solely on the grounds that we might, or might not, sell Che Adams. equally, those clubs, if they are listening to offers from us, are listening to similar offers from other clubs, and on occasions, what the likes of Hull offer can be more enticing than what we can.

Still, the last three windows, SR have delivered a striker every time, so what could possibly go wrong!!!!!

Summer '22 - Mara

Winter '23 - Tall Paul

Summer '23 - Stewart

Recipe for .........

Edited by Pwoite
incomplete

12 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

I'm here. I think it'd be a huge mistake.

We'd be one AA injury away from having no proven goalscorer at this level.

Fair enough, but if he left you would imagine we'd bring someone else in. You then need to trust the scouting to bring in a guy that will score goals.

23 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Of course. But that doesn't mean we should not sell Che and bring someone else in. What do you consider an adequate replacement? 

It's not silly to sell players at the right time and then reinvest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Fair enough, but if he left you would imagine we'd bring someone else in. You then need to trust the scouting to bring in a guy that will score goals.

That's the problem I fear. As above, the track record is honking.

• Like 1

I just wouldn't sell him. It doesn't seem worth it, especially given our record of signing strikers. We would get £3-4 million max due to his contract situation and he'll want to keep scoring to give himself the best chance of going to a decent team in the summer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chez said:

With our record for the last 4 windows I wouldn’t trust them to even know what a fit striker looks like!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

I just wouldn't sell him. It doesn't seem worth it, especially given our record of signing strikers. We would get £3-4 million max due to his contract situation and he'll want to keep scoring to give himself the best chance of going to a decent team in the summer.

Or he could stink the place out with a lack of effort not wanting to injure himself before a bigger free transfer in the summer. Shame he’s not sticking around as he’s a decent Heskey sort of support striker. Must find a decent replacement before we do let him go though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Yep, there would have to be a damn good replacement for Adams lined up before any modest sale price was agreed to.   Look at what's at stake.  As things stand Saints are a one-in-three chance of being promoted automatically; maybe a better chance than that if you think Ipswich will fall away.     As frustrating a striker as he can be, he is proven at this level and justifiably holds some appeal to a few Prem Clubs.   I just don't see him as a down tools, sulk merchant who only lifts when the transfer window is open.     Of course he wants a fresh start, and it's in his interest, if he stays, to perform well, help us get promoted and boost his chances of being picked up by a lower level Prem Club.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

That's the problem I fear. As above, the track record is honking.

Perhaps it is difficult to find a decent striker who will come to St Mary's and score regularly who do you suggest that we failed to sign

1 hour ago, Stu Man Do said:

Or he could stink the place out with a lack of effort not wanting to injure himself before a bigger free transfer in the summer. Shame he’s not sticking around as he’s a decent Heskey sort of support striker. Must find a decent replacement before we do let him go though.

Of course he might but I've yet to see any evidence of that. Obviously we don't see what happens behind closed doors but given the fact he is still in the side shows that Martin is happy with him. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

You are never going to get 100% from a player with weeks/months left on his contract.  He is 1 injury away from unemployment.

We’ve seen by the arguments above that it is a gamble either way with Che. 

Nobody has so far been able to accurately identify the stakes of the gamble or its constituent parts though -so here’s my attempt to at least sort them into two groups - Che intangibles and Che tangibles 

1. Che Intangibles

Che’s presence in the squad ensures competition for forward starting places is high, driving standards up. Would a new striker have that same presence straight away? How long? 

Che’s experience of PB football under RM is high (there’s no time lag to learning it). How long would it take a new forward to match that playbook knowledge? 5-10 matches? 15? Does he start in that time if he does not know the playbook yet? Play off the bench? 

Che is physically fit, in form and immediately available. You’ve got to assume following the RS situation that the replacement is 100% fit - but in form and immediately ready and desirable he plays- as above it’s unlikely. 

Che is a respected professional, liked in the squad by players and management. Settled at SMS. Hopefully any new loanee comes is character checked accordingly. It takes time to settle in a new city. Sekou is also liked & respected.
New loanee comes in does he take Sekous ‘ chances of playing away? Will he settle? Impact of that on SM and squad togetherness/ morale - and ultimately results?

The closer to end of contract Che gets the more worrying & costly an injury could be to his entire future, his hopes & plans for himself ( and family if he has one) and ultimately career. All of which risk negative impact on his match day reflexes - despite his professionalism. 

The new loanee will look to make an immediate impact - and do whatever it takes to impress - this is a different mindset to potentially that of Che above. If that mindset is linked to ability/ class it could be the most important factor. See Ryan Fraser. 

2. Che Tangibles. 

Che Adams fee achieved + his salary for next six months versus the salary (and fee) of an incoming replacement forward. We know roughly his wages and we know roughly what fee we might get. We do not know replacements’ salary or fee but my guess is they will roughly balance out. 

Value of promotion to the EPL:  £100m + 
Opportunity Cost of not getting promotion to EPL : £100m+ 

Che’s goals and assists. Currently it’s a goal or assist every c. 145 minutes. Extrapolate that until end of season and assuming he plays every game it’s c. 6-8 goals inc assists between now and season end.  

Those are the tangible and intangible factors as far as I can tell. There’s more to add but which way do the scales weigh down on as the “best” choice? 

My best guess is that Saints will continue to research options and be on standby if an offer comes in for Che - but be reactive not proactive. 

I feel Saints would be happy to let Che see out his contract because the net money we get for him will probably mostly be going out on his replacement and a few Mil is small change in the grand scheme of things. Saints know what it has in Che and what it might get from Che between now and season end. Cannot guarantee same from any incoming. But if the right offer comes in they are prepared to act. 

Edited by gio1saints

So the people who dont want to sell Adams and reinvest it in a replacement (permanent or loan) are presuambly banking on one of his purple patches going on for a couple of months are they ? Cos lets be honest in between those hot little runs he is bloody awful goalscoring wise and has the most unique way of missing chances!!

Its not different than putting your mortgage on a horse race in terms of a gamble. 

5 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

So the people who dont want to sell Adams and reinvest it in a replacement (permanent or loan) are presuambly banking on one of his purple patches going on for a couple of months are they ? Cos lets be honest in between those hot little runs he is bloody awful goalscoring wise and has the most unique way of missing chances!!

Its not different than putting your mortgage on a horse race in terms of a gamble. 

Not sure many of us don’t want or understand if he is sold but it’s the replacement or non replacement that concerns. 
The point is what would we get £5m max is that worth the gamble of him staying and missing out on what £90m.

Having him in the squad is a better option than £5m imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Not sure many of us don’t want or understand if he is sold but it’s the replacement or non replacement that concerns. 
The point is what would we get £5m max is that worth the gamble of him staying and missing out on what £90m.

Having him in the squad is a better option than £5m imo.

You're certainly not getting a goalscoring forward that can also hold it up and bring others into play in January for circa £5 million. Hell, we paid almost £10 million for someone who had a serious Achilles injury! 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

You're certainly not getting a goalscoring forward that can also hold it up and bring others into play in January for circa £5 million. Hell, we paid almost £10 million for someone who had a serious Achilles injury! 

£5m would pay loan fee for someone who does that, and Che doesn't do either of those things anyway. Also we would benefit from not having someone who clearly rates himself more than most of humanity does. Sill think he's a bad egg. Wolves confirmed as being interested apparently. Specsavers and all that.

3 hours ago, rooney said:

If I was the purchasing club for Che I would offer low wages but a large bonus for goals scored. Performance related pay and all that.

Then you wouldnt be the purchasing club you would be the club the player turned down for a a better salary elsewhere.

• Like 3

I would be ok with replacing Che with a loan from a bigger PL team, who has a point to prove. I know he is now at Sheffield United but a good example is Cameron Archer last season. Signed on loan in January for Boro and scored 11 in 22 championship games for them.

Trouble is not all loans are that successful and can we guarantee starting time to the best available options or will we lose out to other teams like Fabio Carvalho recently.

Che doesn’t want to be here and will almost certainly be playing to avoid injury as the season goes on. He’s more than good enough to help us if motivated though. Not an easy call for Saints and not something we have full control over.

Edited by goodymatt

11 hours ago, Chez said:

Of course. But that doesn't mean we should not sell Che and bring someone else in. What do you consider an adequate replacement? 

It's not silly to sell players at the right time and then reinvest.

That isn't really a question for me - it's for the club and for the sell Che crowd. I wanted openda when he was about £8M 😭😂

I think he's an experienced lower prem level striker - and therefore a very good option as a squad striker in the championship. I have confidence he'll continue to score important goals between now and the end of the season.

The reality is that top championship strikers / lower prem strikers go for circa £15-25M. It's doubtful we'll spend that and upset AA's role in the squad and the current balance to the side. More likely we'll take a punt on a lower quality Scottish player (or similar), an unoroven kid with potential, or a former league 1 player with a handful of goals at this level and a bad injury record... (based on SR's track record anyway 😂). 

Flipping the question, who do you want to replace him with (that you think is a reasonable target for a similar fee)? And are you confident that they'll hit the ground running and score the odd goals in tight games to win us the points that get us promoted? There are no certainties in football, but for £5-10M I have more confidence in Che than SR's attacking recruitment. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2