Bristol City 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

Harry_SFC

Well that's that. Been coming. We have been way off the pace from beginning to end - Bristol have been up for it and better all round. 

Very disappointing performance. For all the talk of our star quality players, we have some bang average ones too. Manning just not good enough, sorry. I'm not a Smallbone fan - not a creative player, not a ball-winner and just lollops back when we need urgency. Shea Charles was terrible today the pick of a bunch of poor performances. Only Edozie was bright for me, and Brooks before he ran into the post.

Oh well. It's been a fun run. The team have done well up until now. Bad night for us with all the others winning but there's a lot of twists and turns still to come. A wake up call that we cannot relax for one minute if we hope to get automatic promotion.

Now let's win 3-0 at West Brom.

• Like 6

It really is the worst way to end our run, but let's not forget how we've put ourselves in this position to start with.

Tonight in isolation is bad, so, so, so bad - inept in all area's, not one good player out there - but they have credit in the bank and it's important they bounce back on Friday. We cannot end 25 games unbeaten and then lose two on the bounce, it simply cannot be allowed to happen and I can assure you the players will be focused on making sure that's not the case.

Tonight has been bad, make no bones about it, as bad as we were at Sunderland - but the key to our season will be how we react to this setback. We had set backs just like this in our promotion seasons previously, I remember a 3-0 drumming at Brighton and we didn't let that impact us. All teams will lose games, no one is invincible - the fact we've gone on as long as we have is pretty incredible really. The chinks were showing in the armour on Saturday it has to be said.

To coin an old phrase, not too down when you lose, not too up when you win. We've still put ourselves in a good situation.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

That's it, getting fucking relegated now. 

Win on Friday and we're back in second. 

Obviously the worry is, a performance like tonight and we won’t be back in second, because we’ll be getting beaten by West Brom and staring down the barrel of 5pts behind with a game in hand by 2pm Saturday.

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

Ahwell it happens onto the next one... no need to piss the mattress 

Next one is a tough one, and conceding 6 goals in two games is a worry. Sure I’ll feel more positive in the morning 

I don't accept the comments from people saying no effort or passion from the players today, particularly on twitter etc. They've run their socks off and brooks almost injured himself trying to score ffs. 

But tactically this was so so poor today, and that is all on Martin in my books I'm afraid. He's changed his tactics to be less attacking and more defensive, and ultimatley bottled this big time. I get we have to lose, but it's like he couldn't be arsed to correct this tonight... How many times did Bristol city do the same attack? Must be over 20?

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It really is the worst way to end our run, but let's not forget how we've put ourselves in this position to start with.

Tonight in isolation is bad, so, so, so bad - inept in all area's, not one good player out there - but they have credit in the bank and it's important they bounce back on Friday. We cannot end 25 games unbeaten and then lose two on the bounce, it simply cannot be allowed to happen and I can assure you the players will be focused on making sure that's not the case.

Tonight has been bad, make no bones about it, as bad as we were at Sunderland - but the key to our season will be how we react to this setback. We had set backs just like this in our promotion seasons previously, I remember a 3-0 drumming at Brighton and we didn't let that impact us. All teams will lose games, no one is invincible - the fact we've gone on as long as we have is pretty incredible really. The chinks were showing in the armour on Saturday it has to be said.

To coin an old phrase, not too down when you loose, not too up when you win. We've still put ourselves in a good situation.

it’s not good but not as bad as sunderland away - that was the pits 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

It's almost as if you press us, we don't know what to do.

I think we've been worked out...

don't think they have pressed us much. We've just not played well. The subs have made us worse.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Smallbone has been very poor 

To be fair every single player on the pitch has been poor tonight, every one of them. 

Edited by Micky
  • Like 1

The run has been incredible, it's unlikely to be matched in my lifetime, full credit to the manager and the players for it but to lose it in this manner is such a disappointment. Been no fight tonight. 

I hope the reaction to this defeat is better than the one we got when Sunderland thrashed us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SaintBobby said:

Don't agree. KWP was a solid 7. Smallbone and Charles were horrific.

I thought Edozie and  Brooks were doing fine. We took them off and got worse. Not impressed by Manning. Central midfield was under par too.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Tonight has been bad, make no bones about it, as bad as we were at Sunderland

A bit of realism please. Its been very poor tonight, it's true, but not even close to as bad as that Sunderland performance was.

• Like 3

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Add Rothwell to that list too

I find it hard to pick many good players from that rabble tonight, it was so disjointed. KWP tried, but himself was guilty of giving up the ball too much.

The pick of the worst is certainly the two CM's though - Smallbone and Charles in that first half were a disaster. The midfield is certainly a bit of a conundrum without Downes, we don't seem to have one.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Bristol City 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I find it hard to pick many good players from that rabble tonight, it was so disjointed. KWP tried, but himself was guilty of giving up the ball too much.

The pick of the worst is certainly the two CM's though - Smallbone and Charles in that first half were a disaster. The midfield is certainly a bit of a conundrum without Downes, we don't seem to have one.

too heavy in the attacking midfielders and only basically downes and charles who are defensive ones.

• Like 1