WBA 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

trousers

You just know Ex skate Jed Wallace will play a blinder for WBA. 
that looks the weakest side we’ve put out this Season. 
Hudderfield game was a wake up call….Bristol game was a kick in the arse…..tonight…a real kick in the bollocks methinks. 
I fear another September coming on. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Manning has been beyond poor and maybe he feels Jack will give better defensive cover. The rest of the team is pretty solid and kind of picks itself with Donwnes out and Brooks banged up.

• Like 3

Not sure how they'll set up. Looks like a cobbled together team hoping for a result. Have a nasty feeling that we'll have a couple of defeats this week. Not the end of the world but starting to look like the playoffs is where we'll be in May.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Indeed, but putting yet more faith in calamity Jack !

you concede 6 goals in two games so you put in Stephens to stem that? Fuckin hell 🙄

Just a thought but Stephens has not been on the pitch in any game that we have lost this season. Just saying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hopper said:

Manning has been beyond poor and maybe he feels Jack will give better defensive cover. The rest of the team is pretty solid and kind of picks itself with Donwnes out and Brooks banged up.

Christ, what’s he done to end up in the nick?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Meghoma not strong enough yet.  WBA are a massive team, like a load of bouncers.

yep Stephens is the right choice, they're a big team so he'll give us extra height for the many long balls they'll pump into the box

• Like 1

Not sure what the whining is about. We need to size against these;l,  Manning has been shit, and Bree is out.  Switching KWP to the left and bringing Stephens on makes sense, and the rest of the team is decent and balanced. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, egg said:

Not sure what the whining is about. We need to size against these;l,  Manning has been shit, and Bree is out.  Switching KWP to the left and bringing Stephens on makes sense, and the rest of the team is decent and balanced. 

I don't get the moaning either, but I think some have been storing up their moans since September - so they're ready to release all their shit. As soon as I saw the line-up it was obvious - we've gone for height at the back at the expense of expansive full backs on either flank.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

I'd like to hear Russell's thinking behind this line up.

What's surprising?

Che and Downes not fit.

He said their strength is their physicality, Manning has been criticised so Stephens not a shock. 

Edozie / Fraser seem to share so could be either.

Brooks took heavy knock and maybe not 100% and maybe not physical enough??

Only other query would be how far off Rothwell or Aribo were

Win and Tuesday doesn’t look so bad. Draw against a decent WBA and it wouldn’t be the worst result but we’d have to pull some results out against other big teams. Lose and we really will be trying to play catch up. It’s not season defining but it’ll be an uphill task going forwards. 

Result? Would possibly take a draw but we need a much better performance than Tuesday. Definitely looks like 3 at the back. Big chance for Mara.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

What's surprising?

Che and Downes not fit.

He said their strength is their physicality, Manning has been criticised so Stephens not a shock. 

Edozie / Fraser seem to share so could be either.

Brooks took heavy knock and maybe not 100% and maybe not physical enough??

Only other query would be how far off Rothwell or Aribo were

Nothing to do with surprise, just like to hear the manager's thinking behind the selection and tactics. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

Who do people actually expect us to put in midfield with Downes injured? I would rather Charles than Smallbone as a DM after watching Smallbones pathetic attempts of ambling around as a DM in second half midweek. 

I know, but Charles first half was worse.

Not particularly enamoured with the line up, but can see some logic I suppose. Shea Charles us definitely the least worst option at DM.  I’m not feeling very confident tonight but hopefully the team can step it up after a few dodgy showings of late.

• Lighthouse changed the title to WBA vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse changed the title to WBA 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic