Saints 0 Arsenal 5 Post match hilarity

Ohio Saint

This has given rotation a whole different meaning and devalued cup competition completely, so much so that is hardly worth having any domestic cup competion at all. Apart from the big boys lets all just continue with surviving in the premier league, great fun eh.

Edited by Saint Billy

To be fair I don't agree with Puel's decision to play such a weak side. However, once he selected the eleven starters I think there's no point getting hacked off at the result and manner of the performance. If this had been anything remotely resembling our first team then I could understand the angst but that side was always going to get hammered. As I said I don't agree with it and think we should have had a go tonight because the league is a kind of limbo for us as we won't get relegated and equally won't finish much above mid table.

Absolutely, got what we deserved and no doubt expected. Obviously weren't interested in going any further in the FA Cup this season...Move on..

Two reasons to be cheerful:

1) I opted to watch rather than go

2) At least it frees up space in the calendar.

I'm a bit frustrated at Jermaine Jenas on BT and Danny Mills on BBC criticising the number of changes Saints made. I don't think it 's possible for Saints to field a stronger team; especially with an eye on Tuesday away at Swansea, an emotional Wednesday and with a couple of significant injuries in the bank. However, it does prove that our midfield shield is very much dependent on one of Davis or Romeu.

Hard to draw positives from that thrashing of Saints B by Arsenal B. But I will. Sims looks better every time I see him. Of all the numerous negatives, I can look no further than the wiping away of any confidence that Stephens must have felt after a heroic performance at Anfield. He needed an experienced hand besides him, instead he got Gardos on his first game back from a lengthy injury.

Hard to draw positives from that thrashing of Saints B by Arsenal B. But I will. Sims looks better every time I see him. Of all the numerous negatives, I can look no further than the wiping away of any confidence that Stephens must have felt after a heroic performance at Anfield. He needed an experienced hand besides him, instead he got Gardos on his first game back from a lengthy injury.

Jack's poor performance is the real cost from this evening's game. Hope his confidence isn't shot.

How many chances will Isgrove get? Totally pointless inclusion, he is not good enough for this level. Just move him on. Sims is still raw as hell, but already looks a million times better than Isgrove.

Reed as well, he needs a loan or something. Not anywhere near the quality for this level at the moment.

To be fair I don't agree with Puel's decision to play such a weak side. However, once he selected the eleven starters I think there's no point getting hacked off at the result and manner of the performance. If this had been anything remotely resembling our first team then I could understand the angst but that side was always going to get hammered. As I said I don't agree with it and think we should have had a go tonight because the league is a kind of limbo for us as we won't get relegated and equally won't finish much above mid table.

I'm sorry but what was the point of that utterly clueless with that team selection as one said the cups are the only thing to go for. The league is nothing for us we won't make the top 6 and shouldn't go down. A full crowd watched that so sorry for you all.

Pile just learn't the redknapp lesson play a team full of kids in the cup and you'll get stuffed to much rotation once again the lads never stood a chance there was no need to field such a weekend side hope it doesn't dent the confidence of the youngsters too much. Embarrassing.

Very unprofessional for a club of our stature to treat the oldest and most prestigious Cup competition with such total disdain, not to mention the management have shown utter disregard and contempt to those who paid good money, gave up their time and had to endure that. This has been an embarrassing night for Southampton FC and one I hope we never repeat. We need to learn from this.

Edited by saintant

Sims did well, Gardos was competent considering his layoff, Lewis was on a hiding to nothing. That concludes the 'positives'.

Isgrove is never going to be good enough for a prem team, possibly Reed as well. Stephens and McQueen were well below their best, Hojbjerg has gone so far backwards you wonder whether he can get back to match his presumed promise, Martina's decison making is glacial, Clasie brings nothing to the game, Long was completely isolated.

Puel completely ballsed this one up.

I'd say it was more Saints C vs. Arsenal B (maybe even A- as they had Mustafi, Bellerin, Walcott, Welbeck, Perez who all start either regularly or intermittently)

Worth quoting from the match thread. I totally agree.

Very unprofessional for a club of our stature to treat the oldest and most prestigious Cup competition with such total disdain, not to mention the management have shown utter disregard and contempt to those who paid good money, gave up their time and had to endure that. This has been an embarrassing night for Southampton FC and one I hope we never repeat.

Pathetic team selection, cups are our only chance this season and Puel throws it.

Would much rather have gone for it tonight and thrown Swansea game, league is meaningless this season.

Puel gives a master class in how to destroy any feel good factor after Wed and badly knocks the confidence of a group of young players.

The poor sods who paid to watch this should get a refund. Arse may well have beaten the 1st team but we'll never know now.

Very very disappointed with the team selection. Throw a couple of youngsters in but 10 changes kinda takes the p*** out of the supporters. The game was lost before the match even started. Only positive was Josh Sims. God help us if Yoshida gets injured!

For those of us straw-clutchers that scrabble around for silver linings on occasions like this... we now have 15 days off before the League Cup final... :)

I think you've called it. Utd will play three times in the same period.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

We have 8 first team injuries. We have 9 points possible from winnable games for a team of our status in the next 3 games. But to maximize points we need to not have any more injuries.

Just this once, quite happy to play our second string.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Waste of time, puel knew exactly what game he was playing from the beginning.... Clearly saving ourselves for the league cup game...... Putting all our eggs one basket now! Surely a risky strategy

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

There are some absolute melts on this forum. The op a prime example.

Clubs like saints only really have 2 genuine chances of winning anything.. efl and fa cup. Given that we won't make Europe or get relegated it's an absolute disgrace that we've prioritised Swansea away over this game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those of us straw-clutchers that scrabble around for silver linings on occasions like this... we now have 15 days off before the League Cup final... :)

Yeah....I can see where his head might be.....But it may be a bit too close to his ass..... Players these days are apparently made of glass.

I just don't get the point of having Tadic and Redmond come on when 3-0 down. Why not start them? Have more influence on the game then. Didn't think Gardos was too bad considering. Sims looks like he could be useful. Hojberg looks so ponderous at times.Gives the ball away far too often from an important position which,when playing the counter attack of a team like Arsenal, is suicidal. Other players were very meh. Isgrove needs to go. For the sake of his own career.