Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Danny Ings

Done

Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    Nominated for December player of the month. Surely a no brainer but as itís a public vote it will probably be TAA that wins it.

Get voting people, Dannyís the man!https://www.premierleague.com/news/1552879
    Done!

I see Durham was banging on about how sours should just go and sign him in January and saints will sell because thatís what we do.

I wouldn't sell him for anything as right now a goalscoring striker is the difference between safety and relegation unless Adams or someone steps up. But there's also his injury record to look at. He seems as fit as ever, but how Saints-like would it be if he got an England call up then got crocked for the season. I wonder if £50-60 million would make the board's heads turn? Hope not, especially as he's a local lad and seems to want to do what's best for the club.

We'll soon find out the currency of being "one of our own". Local lad, comes home, makes good should result in him staying here forever.

I wouldn't sell him for anything as right now a goalscoring striker is the difference between safety and relegation unless Adams or someone steps up. But there's also his injury record to look at. He seems as fit as ever, but how Saints-like would it be if he got an England call up then got crocked for the season. I wonder if £50-60 million would make the board's heads turn? Hope not, especially as he's a local lad and seems to want to do what's best for the club.
    I wouldn't even consider cashing in now, although if he maintains this form and goalscoring rate he may fancy another opportunity at a "big 6" club come the summer.

Seem to recall that Liverpool inserted a sell on clause when they offloaded him. Another great piece of business by Bunsen the uber cretin.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I wouldn't even consider cashing in now, although if he maintains this form and goalscoring rate he may fancy another opportunity at a "big 6" club come the summer.

Seem to recall that Liverpool inserted a sell on clause when they offloaded him. Another great piece of business by Bunsen the uber cretin.
    Come off it. Reed bought a potentially 20 goal a season striker for just £20m. The sell on clause means we effectively pay a bit more if Ings is a success and gets a big transfer, but save our money if injuries get to him or if he wasn't a success, or if he stays with us!

8. Default

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Ex Lion Tamer View Post
    Come off it. Reed bought a potentially 20 goal a season striker for just £20m. The sell on clause means we effectively pay a bit more if Ings is a success and gets a big transfer, but save our money if injuries get to him or if he wasn't a success, or if he stays with us!
    At the moment the Ings move looks a success, but that doesn't alter the terms or timing of it. We contracted to buy a player with a history of injury at the end of the season no matter how he performed or whether he stayed fit. We didn't know if we were buying a 20 games a season player, never mind his goalscoring. That remains a ludicrous bit of business given our resources.

Perhaps leaving it to the last day or so of the transfer window enabled Liverpool to add this additional term knowing our desperation at the time.

Lets hope he stays injury free, so then even the Teflon coated Reed can bask in the reflected glory of it.
    Last edited by Badger; 04-01-2020 at 11:16 AM.

10. Default

There's plenty to criticise Reed for but this isn't one of them. Do you think that Liverpool wouldn't have increased the asking price if the sell on clause was removed? The whole point of the clause is it allows the payment to scale up and down depending on how successful the player is. Very wise given how injury prone Ings is/was

Nominated for December player of the month. Surely a no brainer but as itís a public vote it will probably be TAA that wins it.

Get voting people, Dannyís the man!https://www.premierleague.com/news/1552879
    Sure enough TAA won it. I hate Liverpool.

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

Ings deserves and England call up and that is more likely since Kane’s injury, but from a selfish perspective, I hope that it doesn’t happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    Ings deserves and England call up and that is more likely since Kaneís injury, but from a selfish perspective, I hope that it doesnít happen.
    Next England games aren't until the end of March, long way to go until then, if Ings is still on form and banging them in he'll deserve a call up and hopefully we'll have enough points by then and virtually safe. Would be good for him to get in the squad and keep his place for the Euros, winning them on home soil.

14. Default

Decent article on Ings in The Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...cation-belief/

Quote Originally Posted by Greenridge View Post
    Decent article on Ings in The Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...cation-belief/
    If he was 2 or 3 years younger I'd be concerned if he got a call-up for the inevitable tapping-up from top clubs (and the possibility of injury with a different training regime) but hope he gets the nod in spring as that means he's continued his goal scoring form.

But it would be good to see him capped while at Southampton, he deserves it, and then hopefully add interest for the Euros - as long as he also continues to steer clear of injuries!

Quote Originally Posted by alehouseboys View Post
    If he was 2 or 3 years younger I'd be concerned if he got a call-up for the inevitable tapping-up from top clubs (and the possibility of injury with a different training regime) but hope he gets the nod in spring as that means he's continued his goal scoring form.

But it would be good to see him capped while at Southampton, he deserves it, and then hopefully add interest for the Euros - as long as he also continues to steer clear of injuries!
    He is like a vintage car. Oozes style and class but you are just waiting for something to breakdown.

Lets be honest, if BIG Les was still here we'd likely sell him this Jan

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...mpton-21257332

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Lets be honest, if BIG Les was still here we'd likely sell him this Jan

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...mpton-21257332
    we would now be seeing little snippets by Jeremy Wilson (and via Guan etc on here) describing Ings losing his head now he has hit form.

You know the drill.

Quote Originally Posted by alehouseboys View Post

Tapping up on international duty reason for not wanting Saints players to play for England is a nonsense

Any Saints player would already be aware how playing for a top 6 team would be better for them. They don't need a chat in an England changing room for that. Plus Ings already has experienced life at Liverpool

Ralph's valuation of Danny Ings seems optimistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Tapping up on international duty reason for not wanting Saints players to play for England is a nonsense

Any Saints player would already be aware how playing for a top 6 team would be better for them. They don't need a chat in an England changing room for that. Plus Ings already has experienced life at Liverpool
    You're taking me a little too seriously.

Can someone confirm the words to the new ings song please

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nick75Sfc View Post
    Can someone confirm the words to the new ings song please
    Danny Ings is the king of the Scummers,
    Danny Ings is the king I say,
    Smashing Pompey the Southampton way.

Thank you

25. Default

Ings has proven me wrong (not difficult) - I really thought he was a duff buy but boy is he on fire.

Absolutely fantastic to see - with more luck he could have had 4 or 5 today

Wrighty touting him for England. Some decent stats though: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51100705

In the concourse, complaining about the concourse

Carries on like this Liverpool are going to start looking at him!

28. Default

Murmurings that Mason Greenwood could be fast tracked to replace Kane.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    Wrighty touting him for England. Some decent stats though: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51100705
    Those stats on Ings' conversion rate are wrong surely! If he was so ruthless in front of goal, why would Garth Crooks say this

"...if, as some are suggesting, he has the potential to move to a bigger club, he needs to improve his chances-to-goals ratio."

Its almost as if he tries to be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by washsaint View Post
    with more luck he could have had 4 or 5 today
    With more skill he would have!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pilsmer View Post
    Those stats on Ings' conversion rate are wrong surely! If he was so ruthless in front of goal, why would Garth Crooks say this

"...if, as some are suggesting, he has the potential to move to a bigger club, he needs to improve his chances-to-goals ratio."

Its almost as if he tries to be wrong
    Maybe it's just that he doesn't know what he is talking about. The bloke is a **** and is only employed by the Beeb for one reason.

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Murmurings that Mason Greenwood could be fast tracked to replace Kane.
    Would be an absolute joke if true. But not a shock

Quote Originally Posted by for_heaven's_Saint View Post
    Danny Ings is the king I say,
    Smashing Pompey the Southampton way.
    And yet still loads of our lot get it wrong and sing, "playing the southampton way", unless they're meaning to get it wrong to make it more noddy (which i wouldn't rule out).

34. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    Carries on like this Liverpool are going to start looking at him!
    Please don't even joke about this lol

Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    And yet still loads of our lot get it wrong and sing, "playing the southampton way", unless they're meaning to get it wrong to make it more noddy (which i wouldn't rule out).
    didnt even realise there was an alternative line, always been smashing with us.
    My mate made it up, well he takes credit for starting it at spurs away, though I thought i heard it at Skates away, but apparently not.
    And to suggest some of our fans would be Noddy about it, really ?

36. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Yeh it would, Greenwood is a good prospect but nothing more than that, until recently he barely had more than a couple of senior goals.

Vardy is retired and Rashford doesn't work as a no.9 and that would leave Ings as clearly the most suitable replacement for Kane right now, but its probably not going to happen.

I suspect Southgate will play Rashford through the middle and have Sancho and Sterling either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Koolman View Post
    Good read. Cheers.

39. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Yeh it would, Greenwood is a good prospect but nothing more than that, until recently he barely had more than a couple of senior goals.

Vardy is retired and Rashford doesn't work as a no.9 and that would leave Ings as clearly the most suitable replacement for Kane right now, but its probably not going to happen.

I suspect Southgate will play Rashford through the middle and have Sancho and Sterling either side.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Euro-2020.html

I know it's the Mail, but.......

I think we probably all know that Ings won't be going. Seemed to recall the same happened when Beattie - knocked in over 23 and was only behind Henry (24) and van Nistelroy (25) in the goal scoring tables. That was 2002/2003. April 2003: England 2-0 Turkey and Beattie not even in the squad. He did get a full game in the Euro qualifiers vs Lichtenstein in Sept 2003 playing out on the left. Apart from that, it was a few minutes in friendlies.

The problem Gareth has with taking Ings to the Euros is the same concern we have every week... when is his next injury coming from? He seems fitter than ever but we're all thinking it. Aside from that I think he'd be a decent choice for England - he's quick, hard working, a natural goalscorer and was deemed good enough to play for Liverpool. (And it's not like he failed there, just never got fit enough.) Mason Greenwood is raw, look at the mistake Gareth made in selecting Dominic Solanke. If Ings does finish the season on 20+ goals, I think he'll go as 4th choice or whatever.