Sam McQueen

9-3

On 06/10/2020 at 07:20, HarvSFC said:

I’m not too disappointed about missing out on Williams. I thought he was a strange link to begin with. I’m more than happy with Bertrand still, who is still one of our better players and obviously KWP on the other side. I think Valery is still good enough to be backup on the right side and I haven’t seen enough of Vokins, but at 20 this season is really the one where he needs to prove that he is good enough and add to his singular league appearance.

Sam McQueen still exists, he’ll be 26 when he leaves us next summer, probably retire, shame.

Thought he may have retired after leaving us, albeit sooner, but the club did the right thing to stick with him for as long as they could.

Sad, as he did seem like a good prospect at one point. An obvious highlight of his career will have been playing at the San Siro. 

Hopefully with the time he has had, he has a clear idea of what he is going to do next.

He's had some really tough luck, seems a good lad who was close to having a great career at his local club.

Playing both games against Inter Milan is a nice memory to have, Saints should arrange a Sam McQueen testimonial match against Inter would get a good crowd I'm sure 

• Like 17

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sam McQueen - Official: Retires from Playing
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
52 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Very sad news for Sam, I for one wish him the best of luck in whatever he decides to do in his career. Credit to the club for supporting him in every way :)

Good luck Sam, Sad news, hope that everything turns out well for you and your family.

Best of luck Sam. You were incredibly unlucky but tried to overcome your injuries courageously but it wasn't to be. Now you have taken another courageous step by facing up to what you considered inevitable. I'm sure you will find something you want to do and be a real success.

• Like 3

What a terrible blow for the young man and I can only imagine the hell he has been through these last three years.  Best of luck for the future and whatever path you choose to go down Sam.

When football has been your life since the age of 8 and then it is ripped away from you at such a young age  - that has to take a long time to get over.  He seems grounded and intelligent so hopefully his future is bright.

• Like 1

Really sad news, he was a breakthrough story from Puel's time at the club. He featured a lot that season and was threatening to jump ahead of Matt Targett.

Certainly was a PL player in there, so it does feel like a waste. I hope he finds happiness elsewhere as I can imagine mentally it's a really tough period for him.

Edited by S-Clarke

Good luck for your future Sam. 

Came across on the video as an intelligent, hard working and positive person. Take what you have in yourself going forward and your future will be bright. All the best. 

Seems like someone I would happily buy a few drinks for and have a good chat with. Like many that have passed through our academy. 

• Like 1

Really sad news, such a shame. The pictures of Sam training alone are quite the opposite of what we normally see week in week out and are startlingly moving. Sure to get a standing ovation every time at St Marys. Wish him all the best for the future. Once a Saint, always a Saint.

• Like 1

"Do you continue to put yourself through the physical pain of pushing a shattered joint, adding to the mental toil of doing so for three years with no reward? Or finally call it a day and throw away any lingering chance, however small, of resurrecting your career with the club you love?"

So sad for Sam, get your coaching badges, we're bound to need a new manager once Ralph has got us into the top 8 and a cup final.

Forever Saint.

Edited by CylonKing

11 hours ago, JRM said:

He's had some really tough luck, seems a good lad who was close to having a great career at his local club.

Playing both games against Inter Milan is a nice memory to have, Saints should arrange a Sam McQueen testimonial match against Inter would get a good crowd I'm sure 

A great shout, I'd definitely attend. A rare occasion where a player might actually need all the proceeds from the ticket income. 

• Like 1

Very sad and we wish him all the best for the future. He does not know what he intends to do but I am sure the club will help him find something going forward as indeed they have with his fitness over the last three years.

Ever since clubs were permitted to "import" foreign players (1979), many teams bought in talents from other parts of the world (not all successful)

while Saints never stopped trying to bring on our own talents through our " youth squads",  (call them  "Academy" .... or what you will).

Aside from some  individual successes over the past 40 years, it was players like Sam who emerged from what is probably the best youth generation

that Saints ever produced, as he grew up alongside the likes of;  Shaw, Targett, Chambers, Reed  and of course those who later went onto to

become first team regulars... Ward-Prowse and Stephens. 

Sam was probably one of the most versatile left-sided players Saints ever produced.   Anywhere from full-back to winger, Sam could be relied 

upon to fill the gap, and also had an eye for goal in whichever role he was  given. His eventual promotion to the first team was long overdue, and

it was only the ongoing success of Ryan Bertrand which barred his way from becoming a regular starter in the side, but amongst those all-too-few 

appearances the Euro League games against  Inter Milan will stand out in the memories of many fans. 

Getting recognition for the England U21 side was also testimony to Sam's progress in becoming one of the best in the country in his age group.

Sadly  it's been a "not-so-happy " ending to what looked likely to become a very promising career, but one that he can certainly take pride in.

Perhaps the most impressive fact for many of us was knowing that Sam wasn't "imported" from anywhere,  he is a So´ton lad and proud of it.

Ever since that influx of  "foreigners" into the English game, the number of locally-born players to succeed in a Saints shirt can probably be

counted on the fingers of one hand, but in Sam's case we can be rightly proud of someone of whom we can say......." He's one of our own ".

I hope that Sam's future will offer him new challenges and perhaps may even be one that is still... " in the game ". 

• Like 11

Its so incredibly cruel and sad for the guy. We all know that young players get injured at academy level and never make it - and thats bad enough. But to achieve what he did, to taste the premier league and playing against world class players - all for his boyhood club, and then to have it taken away at such a young age. That is tough. The guy has his dreams ripped away from him. Yeah i know there are worse tragedies in life, but still horrible to see. I guess he's probably still earnt a fair wage from the years he's had, and he must have developed some incredible mental toughness in that time (we can only hope anyway), but hopefully he manages to land on his feet in the end. I wouldn't be surprised to see him involved in some kind of backroom role in the future - perhaps coaching (not necessarily football). Just wish him the best.

Hopefully Smallbone gets more luck - at least he seems to have made it back from his knee injury without any lasting niggles (touch wood).

On 02/01/2022 at 02:33, Suhari said:

A real shame. Looked set up to have a good career in football. Always thought he was a better option than MT.

Hopefully he can find himself a good living doing something that he loves.

Agreed, I thought he was a better prospect too than Matt Targett when the two were playing.

A very touching video.  Brave for the player and the club to put out as he clearly has been - and probably will continue to - have problems following such a series of set backs.

let’s hope he gets strength from the show of support on here and elsewhere.

all the best, Sam.

Touching and candid interview. Very tough to deal with. But Sam, if you do read through these comments by some small chance - be comforted in knowing that most of the people I've known make successes of their lives have overcome some kind of adversity. I hope the same is instore for you and wish you and. your family well.

Very sad for him, hope at least he can get to a point where he is pain free and able to do a decent level of exercise, play with his kids etc. in the future. I know a couple of people who have had ACLs with lots of complications and it was massively frustrating for them and their jobs were not dependent on it so I can't imagine how gutted he must be. 

Hopefully he becomes the English Tuchel or Nagelsmann (obviously if he wants to continue in the game)as both of those ended their playing careers very early due to knee injuries. 

14 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Been offered a role at the club apparently.

Nice. He's a bright lad and it'd be interesting if this on the football or non football side. Our new Dane had a short lived career and has gone onto good things. 

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That is an appalling website with little credibility. 

To be fair the site does not say what Master Bates stated, what it actually say is that it is reported by Ben Dinnery (inury expert) that "A coaching or scouting role at Southampton may await Sam McQueen following his retirement from football aged just 26." Nothing in the article to substantiate what Ben Dinnery thinks, pure speculation.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/southampton-star-mcqueen-may-be-set-for-coaching-role-dinnery/

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

To be fair the site does not say what Master Bates stated, what it actually say is that it is reported by Ben Dinnery (inury expert) that "A coaching or scouting role at Southampton may await Sam McQueen following his retirement from football aged just 26." Nothing in the article to substantiate what Ben Dinnery thinks, pure speculation.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/southampton-star-mcqueen-may-be-set-for-coaching-role-dinnery/

"may await". Or it may not await. Speculation it would seem. 

• 1 month later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Sam McQueen
On 08/01/2022 at 10:45, VectisSaint said:

On 08/01/2022 at 10:19, Matthew Le God said:

That is an appalling website with little credibility. 

Yep, what do they know...

• 6 months later...