Sam McQueen

9-3

54 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Surely he drifted? After that Europa league season he didn't do anything. Bertrand wasn't pulling up any trees that season, yet he couldn't really dislodge him...and he was flogged out on loan the following season with Targett considered the better option (Targett is the better player IMO).

His Europa league season was no great shakes, he played less games the following season, but don't think he regressed to any extent, trying to progress under Pellegrino was always going to be a problem (or Hughes). Don't think there was much to choose between Targett and McQueen (personally thought McQueen had a bit more about him and was more flexible being a MF really) but in the end its about opinions. Really don't care too much, what irritates the hell out of me is the secrecy, he's still our player, and one of our own, and would still have made a decent player at Championship level or above so we have lost out on what would probably have been a half decent fee. 

57 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Was very much like this with J-Rod too, IIRC.

The secrecy thing? Yep. We had to find out via media leaks and all sorts.

It's like they try to hide the bad news, but given that he hasn't been seen for 2 years, it seems pretty pointless.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It seems unlikely certainly at this level and almost impossible here with Ralph's style of football which demands supreme fitness, stamina and aggression.

Yeah, there's no way that anybody could possibly come back from a horrendous knee injury and ever be a successful part of a Hasnehuttl team is there.

A shame really, otherwise that Danny Ings could have been an excellent signing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way whatsoever but boy was he lucky to sign a big contract in 2016. Before that he was probably earning a very low PL player wage but at the time of signing had just proven himself to be a highly rated asset so probably got a good deal.

Given that he has likely known for a long time that his career at a high level was over I would assume he has been sensible with his cash and hopefully is well setup for whatever he wishes to do next. Good luck to him, he always came across as an intelligent and grounded lad.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

Sad news for the lad. 

Probably didn’t have enough about him to make it at this level, but would have been a handy option to cover LB this season. 

None the less, he achieved a hell of a lot more than most (playing away at inter Milan must be a career highlight) and he’ll be a wealthy young man, so hopefully he invested it wisely. 

By all accounts he’s a very decent lad as well. It’d be great if the club look after him, offer him a coaching role (if he wants to go down the route) building up through the age groups. 

Having someone like that around 16/17 year olds would be great as it’s a real life example of how your life and dreams can change in a split second. 

• Like 5

That's really sad news, he was one of the good news stories from Puels period in charge.

He looked very accomplished in the games against Milan and the other Europa League games I felt, very versatile as well - probably a LB by trade, but could comfortably play anywhere. Arguably he'd have played a lot this year.

Shame, he was one of the more promising young players we've had in recent years so hopefully he can find a decent life outside of playing football.

• Like 1

Would be good to see him offered an opportunity to be given some training in a coaching role, perhaps? I don’t think he ever would of made it in the Prem as a player - though would say that was due to a lack of quality, rather than an lack of football intelligence, in fact, I think he seemed quite a smart player and that negated his weaknesses a lot of the time. Would be good to keep him around the club. And it seems like a popular idea nowadays to have some younger guys at the club in coaching roles in case we ever need to recruit from within in the future?

Edited by Nemi

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

That's really sad news, he was one of the good news stories from Puels period in charge.

He looked very accomplished in the games against Milan and the other Europa League games I felt, very versatile as well - probably a LB by trade, but could comfortably play anywhere. Arguably he'd have played a lot this year.

Shame, he was one of the more promising young players we've had in recent years so hopefully he can find a decent life outside of playing football.

100%. Always felt like a better prospect than Targett for example.

Real shame.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Aren’t they still playing, though?

Yeah but it in dogshit leagues for their talent.

Jake's at Bognor and Ryan's at Hungerford.

Seagers had 14 goals in 19 appearances at that level.

McQueen could still play, I mean Flannigan and Seager had really bad injuries aswell, it just means he'll have to drop down.

6 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Yeah but it in dogshit leagues for their talent.

Jake's at Bognor and Ryan's at Hungerford.

Seagers had 14 goals in 19 appearances at that level.

McQueen could still play, I mean Flannigan and Seager had really bad injuries aswell, it just means he'll have to drop down.

They're all really bad outcomes and I feel equally as bad for each of them. But as SuperSaint said, they at least still have a career - albeit at a lower level. All unknown with McQueen at the mo.

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

I was more gutted for Flannigan and Seager than this one.

Both had awful luck, Seager especially. After his injuries, he went to Havant & Waterlooville where they thought he'd do well but a close family member got very ill and it hit him hard. I was told that he still had something but it wasn't to be. 

McQueen's situation sounds like he has other injuries flowing from his surgeries which aren't sorting themselves out. Real shame for him. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

How very sad news for him.

This sad news confirms what many of us feared. Still, he is bright lad and has time to start and succeed in another career. We must wish him the very best of luck for his future.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
sloppy typing
  • Like 2

Wish him the very best of luck. Believe he was academy lad of the year once, given for attitude more than football, so hope he’s able to put this in perspective and find an enjoyable alternative path.

Shame but not surprising given the news over the last couple of years. I thought he had something to offer and would develop into a decent squad player, even if he eventually dropped down a league. Recall him looking impressive going forward but like Targett a bit suspect defensively (think he was highlighted by the media for being out of position at San Siro for their goal for example).

Impressed that as a younger player he was prepared to 'stand up' to the Inter 'theatricals' a couple of times at St Mary's in one of his earliest games for us, didn't hide away or crumble as some of our lot do now.

Hope he makes a good career in coaching or whatever else he chooses. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 16/07/2021 at 13:47, niceandfriendly said:

Part of pre-season

fit=scale

Sam McQueen deserves every bit of luck and good fortune after such a horrendous run with injury.   And well done to SFC for giving him the chance of a rehab/pre-season.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Because it means we look after players not just bin them off  plus if he does return to playing then we get first pick for free.

Do you think he will be on top wages?

We have been looking after him, but a new contract for someone who will most probably not play at a top level again is insane for a club with very little money. 

Keep him training and give him whatever physiotherapy and other treatment he needs by all means. 

If its 10k a week or 50k a week thats a hell of a lot of money wasted, i suppose were good at wasting money though

• Sad 3

6 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

We have been looking after him, but a new contract for someone who will most probably not play at a top level again is insane for a club with very little money. 

Keep him training and give him whatever physiotherapy and other treatment he needs by all means. 

If its 10k a week or 50k a week thats a hell of a lot of money wasted, i suppose were good at wasting money though

It's only 6 months initial though.

My thoughts are that the club see him as a potential player to provide full back cover, and they're giving him a chance to prove that.

People may say that's a cheapo way of approaching it, but that's where we are at if we're honest.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

I'm glad that the club are more charitable than that. It's a classy thing to do, and I suspect it's a fairly nominal salary. Well done the club, and good luck Sam from me. 

• Like 4

In a footballing world where 65% of the players are imported, it's good to see the club standing by a local fella' who has been associated

with the club for almost 18 years already.... we can certainly claim that "he's one of our own"  and deserves another chance.

His injury was about as bad as one can imagine and Ralph was certainly right in saying that it  would take some sort of a miracle

for Sam to get upto speed for the Premiership - BUT stranger things have happened.

(the comparison with Danny Ings' situation is inevitable -except that Danny had two knee ops. before coming back after 2 years).

We can only hope that Sam recovers enough to get " some sort of a career " whilst he's still young enough to cut it.

Considering the comment (from some above) about a waste of money to keep him on....  I think the club have "wasted "

enough money in the recent past on worse talents,  that a small outlay for someone so connected with the club shouldn't  be

"beyond the pale" ,  and may even prove to be a good investment if he gets to play again.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Exactly. Don't see the harm in it myself. If he does prove he can still play at this level, then we've still got a player. Pre-injury always felt he had a bit more to his game than Targett.

I think the club felt he was a better prospect than Targett, shame it didn't work out - we could have done with someone like him pushing Bertrand for his starting place  in the last four years or so. I suspect however that given the contract length, the deal is intended to tide him over while he seeks another club in the professional game. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...