Burnley 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

The way we played in the first half, I would've snatched your hand off for a point. Obviously losing two points with the last kick of the game feels like a defeat. Burnley will justifiably think they deserved something having been denied a clear penalty in the first half.

It was a shame for Stephens to have a brain fade there at the end - I thought he'd had one of his best games for us until then. Hey ho.

Of course it should never have come to that: twice injury time Long had the ball deep in the opposition half and, rather than run it into the corner and kill time, he feebly turned it over. His performance all round was diabolical. Can't he run anymore? We thought if anyone suited Hasenhuttl's high energy pressing game it'd be Long, but he looked laboured all afternoon. Didn't really close anyone down, not much hustle. And, of course, useless in possession.

Credit to Slattery. He wasn't at the races at all in the first half but seemed to grow in confidence to contribute some nice touches in the second.

Looks like our survival plan is Nathan Redmond or bust. Yikes - imagine saying that this time last year.

Could do with Bournemouth doing us a solid in Wales now...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Shane Long was woeful in the last five minutes. Keep the ball, run into the corners, eat time. No. Lose it cheaply several times allowing pressure to build. Slattery was also a problem. He is either lazy or not fit. He simply walked around during the last ten minutes.

What a bloody waste. Fuming. That last few minutes could make all the difference in the run in.

Long is now not any good at doing the one thing that he was good at.

To all those of you slating Stephens - it's not like he deliberately handballed it. He jumped and was being climbed all over by Crouch, who then headed it back against his arm with nothing he could have done about it.

No different to Yoshi's in the Asian cup final yesterday. Just a fluke ricochet against an arm.

If you think it's fair game to slag him off for it then you're an idiot.

It’s not the first time he’s been beaten in the air to cost us and it certainly won’t be the last. He is very, very average. Okay on the ball, but as soon as the ball is crossed in he offers nothing. More of a CDM than a CB.

Yoshida isn’t good enough either, but he’s a lot better than Stephens.

Adam Blackmore:

Harsh but understandable penalty robs #saintsfc of a deserved win - far more creative and incisive than Burnley all day.

The good news is the performance - terrific, far better than Wednesday - and the game plan from RH spot on

@NathanRedmond22 continues to flourish

We were better on the ball; but McCarthy was the far busier keeper.

He’s absolute shi*te but appears that criticising him is sacrilege on this site.

Because most of the criticism is because he's Stephens, not because of things he does. That's what some of us try to counter-act, like in this case where it wasn't actually his fault as he was fouled.

I know it's a kick in the teeth but Crouch didn't score and we've gone 3 points clear of the drop zone. Burnley have drawn with Chelsea and United (I think) this year and are unbeaten this year. We also struggle big time at Turf Moore usually. I'd have bitten your hand off for a point before the game.

A bit annoying to concede like that but that's football.

Still positive, still heading in the right direction.

Because most of the criticism is because he's Stephens, not because of things he does. That's what some of us try to counter-act, like in this case where it wasn't actually his fault as he was fouled.

But it was his fault that he had his arm in a ****ing stupid position. Fair enough you need your arms to jump but he left his right arm up.

Looking at starting line-ups most of us would have settled for a 1-1 draw. We were the better footballing side for 60-70 minutes. Late equaliser inevitable as we were back-pedalling more and more and no outlet once Redmond substituted. Shane Long you plonker, make an effort.

My concern is lack of goal threat. Ings, seriously? Good player, good application and all that but he's never going to score from the treatment room - are we obligated to blow £20M this summer? I wouldn't activate a purchase clause if we had an option. Without Redmond's flair we would have nothing. Lemina out for how long? Need him back, Yoshida, PEH, Bertrand (will some ITK please tell us what is really going on with Bertrand).

So much talk about no RB cover this window - my concern is no goals in our team - we needed a goal-scoring striker then, we need it even more now.

Anyone recall a match in the last century against Villa when Crouch should have gone to the corner to run off some time but chose to centre it and Villa won the ball, went down our end and inevitably scored? Long did almost a similar piece of stupidity and could have gone into the corner but got robbed and the centre led to their 'non-penalty. Gave away two precious points.

PS. Can I become the Goal keeper trainer for Saints as the one we have just ain't getting it right?

Well played Long Stephens Armstrong well played. Fkn woeful. Stopped played as soon as we scored and gave it away to a truely awful team in Burnley.

Truly awful teams don't get to February unbeaten in a year, in the process, drawing against a team who had won their last 7.

They'll probably be saying the same about us.

Did anyone see how Ings got injured? I think it might have been contact with Heaton on his one-one chance but he seemed okay after. I didn't see anything else.

Given Hasenhuttl's style and the importance of the front runners, I'd be amazed if he isn't as angry about Long's last ten minutes as us. His hold up play involves nothing more than trying to con the ref into a free kick. When I saw Austin warming up I honestly thought he might take Long off.

I thought we did OK. We created the best chances of the first half , although we were lucky that Barnes chose not to try to step over McCarthy, but left his leg in there to be hit instead ( not sure there was any contact).

After the goal we dropped deeper and deeper, and cocked up a few good chances to break away, and at the end Long wasted to or 3 good opportunities to run it into the corner, inviting more pressure than we should have. Even saying that, I wasn't too worried

until Matt Holland mentioned Saints and clean sheets on my stream, at which point I knew it was just a question of time until they equalised.

Should have only been 3 minutes added though, I goal 5 subs and no medics on the pitch ( 30 secs plus 5 times 30secs ) .

Thought Slattery did well, but it was a shame we didn't have PEH or Lemina available for a bit of extra muscle and height at the end .

Anyone recall a match in the last century against Villa when Crouch should have gone to the corner to run off some time but chose to centre it and Villa won the ball, went down our end and inevitably scored? Long did almost a similar piece of stupidity and could have gone into the corner but got robbed and the centre led to their 'non-penalty. Gave away two precious points.

PS. Can I become the Goal keeper trainer for Saints as the one we have just ain't getting it right?

It wasn't that similar because crouch was going for goal. Long had no such intentions. Initially he seemed to be looking towards the corner but decided he couldn't make it so tried to hold it up instead

Harsh to blame him entirely for the pen but he really isn't a very good player and the fact that he is a regular says a lot about where we are with our squad.

I can't disagree with that, but that doesn't make him a c*nt (which is what I can only assume the poster was calling him).

To all those of you slating Stephens - it's not like he deliberately handballed it. He jumped and was being climbed all over by Crouch, who then headed it back against his arm with nothing he could have done about it.

No different to Yoshi's in the Asian cup final yesterday. Just a fluke ricochet against an arm.

Agree with this. The defence were pretty good and were under constant pressure after we scored. Just not enough going on in front of them as Long doesn’t hold the ball up and even when facing goal didn’t use his pace to run into the corners and relieve the pressure (as others have said). Seems chronically short of confidence. I want to like as he seems a really good lad and tries his heart out, but just isn’t quite at the right level.

What a bunch of pathetic, whining, wan****s on here. Excellent point, gutted to give a pen but quite clearly Stephens was being fouled.

For those saying he's never a PL player - yes he is. You t***s are too far up your own arses to see it mind.

Honestly - it's pathetic. Burnley are no pushover and we never do well up there. Remember they were 2-0 up in mid-week against United.

We have 3 home games against Huddersfield, Cardiff and Fulham. Do the business there and we are pretty much safe.

Bunch of tarts

This. It was an obvious make up from the referee after the first one not given. Ludicrous to be slagging off Stephens. Also, why wasn't Vestergaard marking Crouch? Not just at that time, but in earlier corners.

The person to slag off is Long. Absolutely shocking and pathetic surrendering of possession from him in the final 10 minutes. With Ings injured again, Long useless at everything now, Austin a 10 minute per game player, who does that leave? Some injured youngsters. We desperately needed to bring in a striker in the window, but instead the board decide to sell Gabbi. :mcinnes:

2 games against rivals both draws. We needed to win at least one of them. .

Actually the real rivals are Fulham and Cardiff. Win those and these 2 draws are fine.

Also, why wasn't Vestergaard marking Crouch? Not just at that time, but in earlier corners.

I was thinking exactly this. JWP got the gig. JW ****ing Prowse. Only a foot shorter. It's right up there with our shape from our own corners. These guys are meant to be professionals, meticulously preparing and trying to squeeze every last percent. Tell me what Sunday league side wouldn't identify their biggest treat at corners and not try and nullify it with their best header of a ball?

A massive panic signing. Laughable that we've committed to spending money on someone who will miss a fair amount of the season through injury.

after the Austin signing you'd of thought we'd never touch an injury prone player again. No after Delgado...no after David Hurst...