Burnley 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Not sure Stephens can be blamed too much, Crouch was all over him and was then headed onto his arm. Suppose it's fair after their blatant pen was denied in the first half. Never should have been 4 mins injury time though.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

Long gave the ball away like 3 times in the last 2 minutes. Way to easy

Shane Long was woeful in the last five minutes. Keep the ball, run into the corners, eat time. No. Lose it cheaply several times allowing pressure to build. Slattery was also a problem. He is either lazy or not fit. He simply walked around during the last ten minutes.

What a bloody waste. Fuming. That last few minutes could make all the difference in the run in.

Keown saying Stephens was fouled and penalty shouldn't have been given. All about opinions I guess.

Ha, Merson said it was stone wall, but he’s a Skate and can therefore f*** off.

Stattos, I need to know how many goals we’ve conceded in 90+ in the last two seasons.

It seems a crazy amount.

Long gave the ball away like 3 times in the last 2 minutes. Way to easy

It's not great to be critical, but the performances, or non-performances of Long and Slattery today were breathtaking. What was wrong with Long? It looked like he couldn't run! And could someone who has seen a lot of U/23 Football tell me what Slattery's attributes are? It should have been JWP partnering Romeu and Valery starting. On a positive note Redmond's goal was the quality moment of the day and Romeu, Vestergaard and Targett were all good. It's going to be a long limp to the finishing line with the thin squad Ralph has.

so annoying that- a draw is tbf the right result on the balance of the game for both teams but the circumstances make it slightly sickening- just 1 more minute to see out and Stephens has his hand in a position where it did not need to be- hence why it was given as a penalty, and let's not forget the one they could have had in first half too.

oh well, moving onwards, result does not matter too much if our sole aim is to just stay up, as that cardiff home game in a week's time has far bigger implications and is a must win to be honest.

Redmond our man of the match for me purely for making the goal out of nothing.

Burnley should have had a stonewall pen first half so we can’t complain too much at Crouch fouling Stephens. Just getting in terms of the timing.

Could still be a valuable point with such a depleted side out.

Really need Bournemouth to help us! CP beating Fulham helpful.

Look at the idiots on here blaming Jack, oh my god! Ref was always looking to level it up and I bet Crouch had his arms all over him too.

He did. It was a foul on JS, but the ref was looking to even up for the first half decision, and somebody has to be the target for the mindless blame game.

To all those of you slating Stephens - it's not like he deliberately handballed it. He jumped and was being climbed all over by Crouch, who then headed it back against his arm with nothing he could have done about it.

No different to Yoshi's in the Asian cup final yesterday. Just a fluke ricochet against an arm.

If you think it's fair game to slag him off for it then you're an idiot.

Long was terrible in the dying minutes but Stephens is an idiot. Why on earth has he got his arm in the air? Appealing for a foul? Maybe he should be less scared of heading the ball.

Because defenders use their arms for elevation nearly all the time. His hand would have been nowhere near the ball if Crouch hadn't climbed all over him and boxed his arm in.

we're being way too harsh on stephens. he's making a supreme effort against a player taller than him. really unlucky. My frustration is all at Long. He has showed zero threat with the ball.Can't seem to run with it. Gave it away twice pointlessly when he was in great position. Earlier some good flicks and passes from him, but his overall skill-set worrying. always has been. Redmond incredible. JWP strong. Romeo a rock. Armstrong exciting to watch, despite some bad passes. Slattery ...promising. Overall we're a much better team than Burnley. We did that w/o many of our best players. We'll be fine.

To all those of you slating Stephens - it's not like he deliberately handballed it. He jumped and was being climbed all over by Crouch, who then headed it back against his arm with nothing he could have done about it.

No different to Yoshi's in the Asian cup final yesterday. Just a fluke ricochet against an arm.

If you think it's fair game to slag him off for it then you're an idiot.

This. Some fans need to get real and stop slagging our players off!!

Shane longs hold and play and decision making in the last 5 mins was a total embarrassment. Had opportunity to run the bad into the corner. When Burnley’s bench was so much stronger than ours there is an issue. A point isn’t a bad result but anything less than a win next Saturday and we’re looking worryingly like candidates again. Need Bertrand back in that team.

Long is there for hold up play because he doesn't contribute much else, but it was pitiful in that last ten minutes.

I was expecting Taylor to even it up after half time, but coming that late it was hard to take. Crouchie was all over Stephens who otherwise payed quite well IMO.

Presumably Yoshida will be back next week in place of that bloody liability Stephens. Have been saying for the past two years he isn’t good enough and would probably make an average holding midfield player. But as for CB - forget it !

Shows how far the quality has dropped when we crave Yoshida's return.

Look at the idiots on here blaming Jack, oh my god! Ref was always looking to level it up and I bet Crouch had his arms all over him too. A point is a good result, we deserved more though mind! COYR

Crouch was leaning over the top of him, his arm was up because of this, then crouch headed into his arm, definitely not a penalty, guess the ref wanted to even it up

I think Crouch pushed him in the back. It's a trick strikers play. The natural instinct when pushed in the back is to raise your arms. At least Crouch didn;t score it. Burnley just went for route one as soon as he came on. Inevitable. BUT I will take a point and if we beat Cardiff then it's been a good run..

He annoys me so much because he’ll lose it and then instead of busting a gut to get it back he’ll lie on the ground or trot back complaining.

And to think he is our no 1 go to striker...... how the feck did the club allow that to happen.

seriously, be a very good point if Cardiff LOSE in a bit

come on Bournemouth

This, Cardiff lose tonight and IF we beat them next week, we will be at worst 7 points clear of the relegation zone, 8 if Fulham lose to Man U.

Annoying the way the match ended, but both sides showed why they are where they are in the league.

Adam Blackmore:

Harsh but understandable penalty robs #saintsfc of a deserved win - far more creative and incisive than Burnley all day.

The good news is the performance - terrific, far better than Wednesday - and the game plan from RH spot on

@NathanRedmond22 continues to flourish