Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

I always felt that he was a schizophrenic type of manager. He espoused playing a dynamic press getting a ball up to the forwards, if losing it get it back within 20 secs and get a shot in. When we did that we even got to the top of the league once. It was the in between periods that cost us. No press, boring turgid backwards and sideways going nowhere, few goals and poor results. Ok so the possession figures went up as the goals scored went down. And as against Newcastle hit four times on the break for a hammering with 56% possession and both full backs so far forward it pulled our centre backs out of position every time Newcastle counter attacked. 

Having said that, I rather liked the man. He appeared upright and honest. He wore his heart on his sleeve. What I couldn't get was his apparent loss of confidence, indulged favourites and consequently created bizarre team selection. 

If he had stuck with his original philosophies I think we would have been better for it.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, derry said:

Having said that, I rather liked the man. He appeared upright and honest. He wore his heart on his sleeve. What I couldn't get was his apparent loss of confidence, indulged favourites and consequently created bizarre team selection. 

If he had stuck with his original philosophies I think we would have been better for it.

That's such a valid point and one which really explains why we fell away so much.

He needed to be backed at the start so he had the players to employ the football he wanted, but he had to make do with a mishmash and that has slowly over time diluted his approach due to the fear of losing goals. From being a front-foot ‘heavy metal’ manager, he became a risk averse and passive manager, which isn’t him and isn’t who we recruited back in 2018.

One of the criticisms you can rightly label at Ralph is that it’s always been one way or no way, he came with a clear philosophy and if the club had researched it well enough they’d have known the squad would have needed a radical overhaul to fit with that, but they never had the backing to do it until now - and now it's too late.

I'm frustrated for him, but that's where we are.

• Like 4

On 29/10/2022 at 23:19, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ralph isn’t going anywhere.

We haven’t got a good squad. This is SR’s business model, buy children and hope it works out. It isn’t working out.

But SR will not be forking out another £50m this January.

If any money is spent it needs to be on a backbone like Newcastle did last January, but it won’t happen, because now one will be forking out £10m on the crap in our squad like Diallo, Walcott‘s wages etc.

Too many on here think real life is like FIFA where it all happens over night at the click of a finger.

RALPH ISN’T GOING ANYWHERE.

(FYI, I’m sick of the way we’re playing, setting up etc. The players need to grow a pair, they aren’t good enough. Simple as).

👋

What players have posted any sort of goodbye and thanks message to Ralph so far? I've had a look at half a dozen accounts on twitter just now and not one has posted anything.  I stand to be corrected but it suggests to me he had serious problems with the players as alluded to by the Athletic.  

• Like 1

I'm really not liking the leaks that are coming out about Ralph. 

Some really nasty, vindictive stuff being thrown out in the media with very little substance to back them up. The Atheltic seem to be lapping it up. If someone still employed by the club is doing this then they need frogmarched out never to be seen again.

It's in really bad taste.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Some really nasty, vindictive stuff being thrown out in the media with very little substance to back them up. The Atheltic seem to be lapping it up. If someone still employed by the club is doing this then they need frogmarched out never to be seen again.

Surely it's most likely to be some ex players with an agenda?  I haven't read the articles but I think if he was poor at man managing that should be called out, but if it's more gossip based then agreed there's no need

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Vultures are definitely out, that's what happens when you've seen a load of players leave in your time at a club, I see Charlie fat boy Austin has his nails out this afternoon on Talkshite.

Completely unnecessary all this gossip and hearsay. Jacob Tanswell seems to be fueling it all too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Surely it's most likely to be some ex players with an agenda?  I haven't read the articles but I think if he was poor at man managing that should be called out, but if it's more gossip based then agreed there's no need

Possibly, you could even look at maybe some aggrieved former staff members who were let go in the summer. As these links only really started surfacing in the summer.

But if it is someone still employed then they need to be weeded out and moved on.

Edited by S-Clarke

Snippet from me...

They had a meeting at 11 yesterday with Selles.  Selles basically told the players that they let the manager & the fans down & ripped into them.  He basically told the staff that the players hadn’t performed for the manager or the fans & that they had 2 games to prove to the new manager that they deserve to play for this football club.  There were a few players who were visibly upset.

Ralph went around to every staff member at Staplewood & he was seen very upset & had tears in his eyes. Literally said goodbye to everyone & thanked everyone. He also told Martin that Ruben Selles should replace him.

Edited by Saint Garrett
Spelling & expanded post
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Vultures are definitely out, that's what happens when you've seen a load of players leave in your time at a club, I see Charlie fat boy Austin has his nails out this afternoon on Talkshite.

Completely unnecessary all this gossip and hearsay. Jacob Tanswell seems to be fueling it all too.

Clearly Ralph had issues with his man management skills. After 4 years which is way beyond average shelf life for a premier League manager everything became stale. Players lost interest in his tactics and basically downed tools. Don't see whats wrong with Athletic reporting what they've been told now Ralph has departed. If you don't trust your sources you wouldn't write it is the basic rule of good journalism surely? Better than doing it whilst he was in charge although the Redmond article probably not ideal timing in hindsight. I don't think anyone would doubt the stories given how atrocious we have been. 5 wins from last 35 league games I think I read somewhere 😳

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

They had a meeting at 11 yesterday with Selles.  Selles basically told the players that they let the manager & the fans down & ripped into them.  He basically told the staff that the players hadn’t performed for the manager or the fans & that they had 2 games to prove to the new manager that they deserve to play for this football club.  There were a few players who were visibly upset.

Good.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me...

Ralph went around to every staff member at Staplewood & he was seen very upset & had tears in his eyes. Literally said goodbye to everyone & thanked everyone. He also told Martin that Ruben Selles should replace him.

Am liking selles more and more

• Like 1

6 hours ago, derry said:

Having said that, I rather liked the man. He appeared upright and honest. He wore his heart on his sleeve.

Always seemed a decent guy. Tarnished that image a bit, I think, by not walking away in the summer and instead allowing the coaching staff to carry the can for his poor results.

He must've known his number was up, but he was more than happy to carry on pocketing his big wage packet for six more months while his staff lost their jobs. Very David Brentian. "Well, there's good news and bad news... The bad news is some of you will lose your jobs... I know, I know. Gutting... On a more positive note, the good news is I've been promoted. So... every cloud... You're still thinking about the bad news."

Looked like a dead man walking all season, grimly waiting for the inevitable. A rubbish way for it to end.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me...

That's what these guys need, a bit of home truth. They have been utterly shit for months, it's not always the manager (they are the easy fall guy), but at the end of the day it's the 11 players who have to go out on the pitch and perform.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's what these guys need, a bit of home truth. They have been utterly shit for months, it's not always the manager (they are the easy fall guy), but at the end of the day it's the 11 players who have to go out on the pitch and perform.

Think this covers quite nicely how I feel, the players haven't been putting in performances. We've tried a turnover of coaches, and some players, so the next step seems to be manager. 

Hopefully most of the squad take the world cup break to work on their personal fitness and to come back ready to play for a new manager with the respect, passion and determination they should have been giving all along under Ralph, hopefully coupled with a tactical reset that gets us back to playing better football.

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me...

If true that’s really good. The players needed a kick up the arse.
He’ll get one of two responses now: either they kick on and prove people wrong and think “I’m not having that”, or they’ll down tools some more.

Time to weasel out who is interested in the long term and who we can do without. 

Nice to hear about Ralph. He comes across as a likeable person from various stories I’ve heard about him.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me...

Fantastic stuff.

I'm liking Selles more and more.

Now we need to get rid of the rat in the dressing room leaking unpleasant stuff about Ralph.

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Fantastic stuff.

I'm liking Selles more and more.

Now we need to get rid of the rat in the dressing room leaking unpleasant stuff about Ralph.

That rat could be anyone. He’s pissed off Adams, Armstrong x2, McCarthy, Bednarek, Stephens, AMN, Redmond - plus more that have since left…

I think we’ll go largely full strength tonight. Playing kids would be idiotic, stick some on the bench and only bring on if the game is safe.
The senior players it sounds like need to fight for their careers.

19 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me...

Fantastic from Selles. Thats what some of them needed. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me...

Cheers for the snippets. 

Question:

Why didn’t Selles do this whilst Ralph was still in charge? 

Absolutley needed, but could it have been done earlier? Not a dig, a genuine discussion point. 

Interesting Ralph suggested Selles should replace him. If he believes in him so much, is this seasons form partly Selles fault as well? Or if not, if Ralph rates him so highly, why wasn’t he listening to him more? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Interesting Ralph suggested Selles should replace him. If he believes in him so much, is this seasons form partly Selles fault as well? Or if not, if Ralph rates him so highly, why wasn’t he listening to him more? 

Who says he wasn't listening to him tbf? It also implies that maybe Selles was an appointment Ralph wanted after all? Although the Athletic and various negative sources would have us believe otherwise. 

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That rat could be anyone. He’s pissed off Adams, Armstrong x2, McCarthy, Bednarek, Stephens, AMN, Redmond - plus more that have since left…

I think we’ll go largely full strength tonight. Playing kids would be idiotic, stick some on the bench and only bring on if the game is safe.
The senior players it sounds like need to fight for their careers.

Fight for their careers? Come off it. We all know the way football works, even the shittest players in our squad will, at worst, have to run down their contract and then get picked up on a free for a middle to upper championship side still earning tens of thousands of pounds a week. 

• Like 3

On 08/11/2022 at 10:49, derry said:

I always felt that he was a schizophrenic type of manager. He espoused playing a dynamic press getting a ball up to the forwards, if losing it get it back within 20 secs and get a shot in. When we did that we even got to the top of the league once. It was the in between periods that cost us. No press, boring turgid backwards and sideways going nowhere, few goals and poor results. Ok so the possession figures went up as the goals scored went down. And as against Newcastle hit four times on the break for a hammering with 56% possession and both full backs so far forward it pulled our centre backs out of position every time Newcastle counter attacked. 

If we still had Danny Ings Ralph  may well have been still here but Danny no doubt wanted to be else where

We were at our best I thought when Ings was playing well

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl
2 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

Out of interest, anyone know what he's done in terms of moving out, leaving the country etc? Wonder if he'll take an early retirement now or go for one more job....

Pretty certain he said on signing his new contract, that that this would be his last management role - his earnings in his time with us alone would give many people a very comfortable life 

22 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Pretty certain he said on signing his new contract, that that this would be his last management role - his earnings in his time with us alone would give many people a very comfortable life 

I don't believe he's genuinely planning on retiring any time soon, I think he'll take a break and resurface at a club on the continent. These guys don't do it for the money alone. Plenty of managers claim to be on their last job in football, and it's only after many years that it finally comes true.

All spot on 👍

In terms of leaking info, that could come from any part of the organisation. I was told by someone with a very good source at Staplewood that Ralph did not take advice from anyone…this was pre-Selles I think. He was not an inclusive Manager it seems so I suspect the players had no willingness to take control on the pitch when things were not going well.  If we need evidence to support this just look to the 9-0 defeats…tactics going wrong…nobody on the pitch gives a monkeys and hey presto it’s open season. The real culprits were the Board for not making a change sooner.

My interpretation is that the high press game simply wasn't sustainable over the course of a season - the players would get fatigued and we'd go on horrible runs. He tried to change to a more sustainable approach but lost his magic weapon in the process

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

My interpretation is that the high press game simply wasn't sustainable over the course of a season - the players would get fatigued and we'd go on horrible runs. He tried to change to a more sustainable approach but lost his magic weapon in the process

I agree. We just didn’t have the depth in the squad to maintain that high intensity game for any length of time. Ralph clearly thought he was getting a striker in the summer, God knows what happened there but the lack of a consistent goalscorer and the loss of Lavia did for him. I feel gutted for him that he went out on a low but think that most people will remember him fondly and wish him well for the future. Nathan Jones has a tough job ahead of him but interviews well and obviously has plenty of self belief. I admire his optimism in saying that he can turn Che into a consistent scorer. As many have said before me, if we don’t find a quality goalscorer in January the second half of the season will be an uphill struggle. Let’s hope that Tino and KWP are both fit for the restart too.

Farewell Ralph and thanks for your hard work and dedication to the club over the last 4 years.

• Like 10

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I can’t see him taking the Everton job. If he does want to manage again or at the elite level in Germany, he needs to be successful in his next job. Going to Everton which is a basket case top to bottom would be a huge gamble in my book.

I thought Bielsa was going there anyway? 

I could see it happening. Imagine if he keeps Everton up whilst we go down.

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Ralph simply would never have allowed this:

Not saying it wasn't time to move on but we need to get back to his level of discipline

The article itself infers this was indeed happening under Ralph, and that neither Jones nor Selles sorted it out when they took charge

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barsiem said:

The article itself infers this was indeed happening under Ralph, and that neither Jones nor Selles sorted it out when they took charge

Ah fair enough. I thought I read he was pretty hard on players when he took over, perhaps things slipped under him too.

Pretty sure I read a story on here about Cedric getting bollocked for looking at his phone in the treatment room instead of talking to the physio

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

16 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Ah fair enough. I thought I read he was pretty hard on players when he took over, perhaps things slipped under him too.

Pretty sure I read a story on here about Cedric getting bollocked for looking at his phone in the treatment room instead of talking to the physio

It seems like it all went to ratshit, which, things generally do when you get a significant regime change.. I seem to remember we had similar periods under Reed/Krueger

That said, SR should have shown proper leadership and despite a significant spend one of their major failures was allowing for a slip in standards under their watch