Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Imagine if he a bit more of a budget in the transfer windows how good he could make us. Knows what type of players fit his system and could really take us to top 8 regulars. 

Hoping we get a good cup run going this year. Feel its our best option to get European footie next season.

I'm not actually too worried about him going any time soon. He seems honourable and both sides deserve credit for sticking - yes after that 9-0. He was lucky the board weren't reactive as I'd say 9/10 boards would have dumped him after that, so based on the fact he seems honourable I can't see him looking for a move any time soon. If we don't want him to go, he won't go.

• Like 1

I think Ralph is enjoying life at Southampton in the main and we are very good fit for him and his methods - there is mutual benefit.  I am not sure he would get the time he needs to get players to buy into his methodology at the big clubs in the Prem.  The best outcome for the manager, senior players and fans would be that we get a Board who can free the purse strings somewhat and show ambition, because the potential to do something special with this on-field set up is becoming very evident.      

13 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I think Ralph is enjoying life at Southampton in the main and we are very good fit for him and his methods - there is mutual benefit.  I am not sure he would get the time he needs to get players to buy into his methodology at the big clubs in the Prem.  The best outcome for the manager, senior players and fans would be that we get a Board who can free the purse strings somewhat and show ambition, because the potential to do something special with this on-field set up is becoming very evident.      

Absolutely, I'm not talking 500M on superstars either, just a little bit of flexibility financially to enable us to get that extra 1 or 2 players in a window for e.g. Or compete for that one special player who could make all the difference (Dayot when he wasn't so heavily sought after, for example!). 

I don't think he's been backed as much as he deserves, but his coaching and improving of players has mitigated the need for the entire overhaul we once required.

I do agree that he's a good fit for us, I always thought we pulled off a bit of a coup to get him here based on his rep. I'm glad the Seemens and co stuck to their guns last year and backed him in a job sense, they've gained a lot of respect from the fan base on that decision - I think they could see he was a manager that we shouldn't really have, in terms of his ability and our stature at that point, so they weren't going to budge. They knew more than us what a good pick he was.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Ralph is clearly a coach who manages as opposed to a manager who coaches. Seems obvious to say but there are significant differences in the mentality between those two types. Ralph for me has the hollistic viewpoint, where developing individuals seems to be the number one priority and the way he will achieve collective performance and success. A manager is more results driven and will not neccessarily spend as much time or effort on improving the individuals, rather work on collective organisation and buying in players which is short term. Ralph fits our club philosophy perfectly and vice versa. The fact that he has produced a coaching blueprint for the club tells you all you need to know about his interests, talents and approach. As a professional coach myself, this sits very very nicely with my own philosophy so I am extremely excited to see how far he can take this team and the longer term effect his methods and mindset will have on the club overall. Given a little bit more to spend each window, where he can get a better players and then improve them and we should enjoy some very exciting times. The issue with being able to buy better players is that you are moving up towards players who's "development potential" is reduced and so the impact of the coach appears to be less comparatively. But Ralph is operating in the results business so regrdless of his coaching methods and approach, it still comes down to who has the best rained and organised and most capable players. We are moving upwards at a nice pace....I hope he makes this club his life's work!!

Need to hope he continues to be under rated and under the radar. You'd think a coach who improves players in these financial times might be highly sought after.

I think probably the biggest threat might come from Germany, though I doubt Bayern will need anyone soon but Dortmund might and I can see him being a good fit there.

The big 6 don't seem to appoint 'project' coaches at the moment unless they are ex-players, I should imagine if Lampard or OGS or Arteta get sacked they will then see that as a failure and get a big name in I reckon, rather than someone perceived as a risk. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

I see Alex Crook is touting Ralph for Man U on Talksport. 

Slightly disingenuous. He was saying what a brilliant job he had done - called him a genius - and said he would have him at United any day. He was speaking purely as a United fan.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I'd be content with another 2 seasons with Ralph.  3 1/2 years would be the longest in my living memory and would leave us in good condition - as long as we don't cock up his replacement.

The last manager we kept for 3 1/2 years must be Cris Nicholl?

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

I'd be content with another 2 seasons with Ralph.  3 1/2 years would be the longest in my living memory and would leave us in good condition - as long as we don't cock up his replacement.

Which is the main worry, really. It took us four times to appoint a worthy successor to Koeman, almost costing us our Premier League place at the same time. Hopefully we can blame Ross and Les for that fiasco, but I'm not as confident of us finding a replacement for Ralph if and when he does go, as I was when we seemingly had a top scouting pool - and Paul Mitchell.

I do not think we have anything to worry about imminently. But to get ahead of ourselves... if we challenge for Europe this season, and then have a very good start next season, you might start to see a bigger club circling. And ultimately, I doubt anyone is going to say no to the extra cash and bigger shot at 'glory'. They are all professionals afterall.

But he does need to at least have 1-2 proper consistent seasons with Saints first.

I do not think we have anything to worry about imminently. But to get ahead of ourselves... if we challenge for Europe this season, and then have a very good start next season, you might start to see a bigger club circling. And ultimately, I doubt anyone is going to say no to the extra cash and bigger shot at 'glory'. They are all professionals afterall.

But he does need to at least have 1-2 proper consistent seasons with Saints first.

8 hours ago, Mikey88 said:

Slightly disingenuous. He was saying what a brilliant job he had done - called him a genius - and said he would have him at United any day. He was speaking purely as a United fan.

A "utd fan" born and raised in Portsmouth. 😂

5 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

The way MU sack managers Ralph would be mad to go to MU

Of course he’d go there. Chance to manage one of the biggest clubs in the world. You don’t get to be an elite sportsman/manager without self belief, he’ll think he could fix them. Although I don’t think Man United or Chelsea would go for him, they’d go for a high profile manager as their fans wont accept another balls up. I could see him going to Spurs or a German club. We should enjoy him while we’ve got him. Great manager and a great guy. 

Edited by Turkish

I know I could be prone to "most recent is best" syndrome here, but whilst I was gutted when we lost both Adkins, Pochettino and Koeman (the 3 most revered managers of our current PL stint) I think Ralph will feel like the biggest loss of all when he eventually goes. There's just something about him that fits Saints so well 

• Like 1

German newspaper BILD (comparable with the Sun) are reporting Lucien Favre, the Borussia Dortmund coach is about to be sacked.
They name Julian Nagelsman, Marco Rose and the RB Salzburg trainers as possible replacements. Just hope they ‘forget’ about RH.

OK a question....If you could have a pick of any Premier League manager to come to Saints instead of Ralph, who would you choose? To be honest, I can't think of any who would do a better job the he is currently doing. I personally think we are very lucky to have him. He seems a perfect fit for a club of our size. I don't think, based on our budget etc that the managers of "the big six"  could do any better than Ralph is doing. They rely heavily on their clubs spending enormous amounts of money.

Klopp, Guardiola, Jose, OGS, Arteta, Lampard - See above - Need masses to spend to be successful (I think given time, Arteta may be the exception)

Nuno Esprit Sanchez at Wolves is a very good manager and could move on to bigger things.

Carlo Ancelotti - proven manager but not a Saints 'fit'

Bielsa at Leeds - early days in the Prem - time will tell how good he really is.

Dean Smith at Villa - early days having struggled last year.  Seems to have spent wisely this year though.

Brendan Rodgers, Scott Parker, Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Roy Hodgson, Chris Wilder, David Moyes, Slaven Bilic, Graham Potter - No thanks. (although Moyes seems to have found his feet again and I think Potter could do well with a bigger club)

Ralph Hasenuttl - Yes please - All day long. We are currently playing some of the best and most stylish football we have seen for a number of years and he seems to know exactly how he wants us to play. And results at the end of last season (post lockdown) and so far this season are pretty damn good.

And please permit me one further question - No premiership managerial sackings this season so far. Who of the above is your money on to go first. For me there aren't any obvious ones yet........Possibly Parker as he has issues wit the owners,and if Burnley are sold, as has been muted, maybe Dyche, based on league position and the utter boring, negative football they produce each week.  

• Like 1

Bielsa’s work with the Leeds team has been brilliant and continues to be so. He is what you want in a manager, given how he has improved the likes of Bamford, Ayling and Dallas massively. However, he does also have his weaknesses in that his players usually tire out at the back end of a season, the lockdown break possibly helped him greatly last season. 

Chris Wilder also, is the only other manager barring Bielsa and Ralph in this league, who I believe can coach limited players to play at a much higher standard. His work prior to Sheffield United was just as good and isn’t a purple patch in his career. Although, they are being found out at the minute.

You could also make a case for Nuno Espirito Santo and Sean Dyche, but watching Wolves and Burnley is just so boring and more focussed on being solid as a whole team and defensively, rather than taking the game to the opposition.

Overall, to answer the question, no I wouldn’t swap Ralph. He isn’t the best manager in the league, but like you say he is perfect for us at this current moment in time.

16 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

You could also make a case for Nuno Espirito Santo and Sean Dyche, but watching Wolves and Burnley is just so boring and more focussed on being solid as a whole team and defensively, rather than taking the game to the opposition.

Flashbacks to Puel. Nuno gets results though.

Bielsa looks the goods. I love the way Leeds are counter attacking. They get so many forward. Probably the most entertaining club this season as a neutral.

8 minutes ago, Ultimatt said:

Flashbacks to Puel. Nuno gets results though.

Bielsa looks the goods. I love the way Leeds are counter attacking. They get so many forward. Probably the most entertaining club this season as a neutral.

Leeds are entertaining, but they'll also be entertaining when it goes wrong as well.

That's the thing with Bielsa, when it goes wrong.....it goes spectacularly wrong.

On 28/10/2020 at 17:18, Saint Keef said:

OK a question....If you could have a pick of any Premier League manager to come to Saints instead of Ralph, who would you choose? To be honest, I can't think of any who would do a better job the he is currently doing. I personally think we are very lucky to have him. He seems a perfect fit for a club of our size. I don't think, based on our budget etc that the managers of "the big six"  could do any better than Ralph is doing. They rely heavily on their clubs spending enormous amounts of money.

Klopp, Guardiola, Jose, OGS, Arteta, Lampard - See above - Need masses to spend to be successful (I think given time, Arteta may be the exception)

Nuno Esprit Sanchez at Wolves is a very good manager and could move on to bigger things.

Carlo Ancelotti - proven manager but not a Saints 'fit'

Bielsa at Leeds - early days in the Prem - time will tell how good he really is.

Dean Smith at Villa - early days having struggled last year.  Seems to have spent wisely this year though.

Brendan Rodgers, Scott Parker, Steve Bruce, Sean Dyche, Roy Hodgson, Chris Wilder, David Moyes, Slaven Bilic, Graham Potter - No thanks. (although Moyes seems to have found his feet again and I think Potter could do well with a bigger club)

Ralph Hasenuttl - Yes please - All day long. We are currently playing some of the best and most stylish football we have seen for a number of years and he seems to know exactly how he wants us to play. And results at the end of last season (post lockdown) and so far this season are pretty damn good.

And please permit me one further question - No premiership managerial sackings this season so far. Who of the above is your money on to go first. For me there aren't any obvious ones yet........Possibly Parker as he has issues wit the owners,and if Burnley are sold, as has been muted, maybe Dyche, based on league position and the utter boring, negative football they produce each week.  

Hassenhuttl is for me the best fit. I like everything about him, tactics, recruitment policy, loyalty, and of course those all important interviews which did for Puel from day one. Genuinely wouldn’t swap him for anyone. At the moment he seems great for us good enough to give us top 10 finishes but not the profile a club significantly better than us would want. That may change but as things stand none of the top clubs would be banging his door down if they needed someone 

i don’t particularly like Klopp but it can’t be denied he’s a great manager, also Guaridiola I do like him and think is a great manager and I don’t agree with this they need hundreds of millions to spend. That’s like saying messi isn’t world class because he hasn’t done it on a Tuesday night in stoke. Consistently delivering at a very top level takes a level of ability, plenty of managers have not made the step up and spent Tens of millions. 

Bielsa is obviously a great manager an character too and despite the hatred of Rodgers I’ve always liked the way he does things and would be a good fit for us. 

the rest not fussed on, Chris wilder got a lot  of plaudits this time last year and seemed to think he was the dogs bol1ocks but looks like he may be the new Ian Holloway 

Edited by Turkish

I am new in the forum, I am here because I am very interested in the career of Ralph. I know him since he was a child. I am very happy to see, how he fits in the league.

Because there are speculations here, who could replace Ralph, as an Austrian I would know 2 managers who have the potential. The one ist Adi Hütter from Eintracht Frankfurt and the second is Oliver Glasner from Wolfsburg. Both of them went through the school of RB Salzburg. They used to work with young talents and how to develope them, and they know the pressing style from Salzburg. It is very similar to way Ralph Hasenhüttl is playing.

One level below, there is Gerhard Struber. He comes also from the RB Salzburg school. He did a very good job in the Austrian league, and he did a very good job at Barnsley too. Now he is the Manager of RB New York. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Ralphsfriend said:

I am new in the forum, I am here because I am very interested in the career of Ralph. I know him since he was a child. I am very happy to see, how he fits in the league.

Because there are speculations here, who could replace Ralph, as an Austrian I would know 2 managers who have the potential. The one ist Adi Hütter from Eintracht Frankfurt and the second is Oliver Glasner from Wolfsburg. Both of them went through the school of RB Salzburg. They used to work with young talents and how to develope them, and they know the pressing style from Salzburg. It is very similar to way Ralph Hasenhüttl is playing.

One level below, there is Gerhard Struber. He comes also from the RB Salzburg school. He did a very good job in the Austrian league, and he did a very good job at Barnsley too. Now he is the Manager of RB New York. 

Thanks for the insight. I hope that when we do replace him we go for something similar. He's been fantastic for us and has more than repaid the faith we have shown in him after the poor start last year. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

Love Ralph but thought he got it a bit wrong today, game management poor after going 4 up, left us little wide open when villa started to press

I do love the fact you don't mention his game management in getting us 4-0 up 😂

Edited by Barsiem

The Ralph comment I enjoyed the most this week was when he was speaking about Oriol Romeu, saying he been first choice in midfield for some time, including when Pierre was here.  Didn't mind hearing a put down of an ex-player who had got too big for his boots.  Tottenham paid a lot of money for a player who was second choice here.

It was a tough one for Ralph. He wanted to take Armstrong off because he was fading badly but then Bertrand got injured. Diallo seemed a bit off the pace and Ward Prowse is certainly not a left back.

That coupled with Stephens being rusty/generally poor and KWP struggling against Grealish, it was always going to be a dodgy last 30 mins or so. 

48 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

It was a tough one for Ralph. He wanted to take Armstrong off because he was fading badly but then Bertrand got injured. Diallo seemed a bit off the pace and Ward Prowse is certainly not a left back.

That coupled with Stephens being rusty/generally poor and KWP struggling against Grealish, it was always going to be a dodgy last 30 mins or so. 

Difficult only having one defender (JS) on an attacking bench. If Betrand is injured, are we really going to play JWP at LB and lose his midfield effectiveness or is he actually going to trust Vokins, given that when Bertand was out last season through suspension, Højbjerg got drafted in there?

10 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Difficult only having one defender (JS) on an attacking bench. If Betrand is injured, are we really going to play JWP at LB and lose his midfield effectiveness or is he actually going to trust Vokins, given that when Bertand was out last season through suspension, Højbjerg got drafted in there?

Vokins started the two games Bertrand missed since that suspension. Cup game against Huddersfield and league game against Brighton.

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Are we still missing Danny Rohl, it was all down to him wasn’t it?

TBF i think he was missing that 2nd man, Kitzbitchelr has come in and provided that opposition analysis which has allowed Ralph to concentrate on us.

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

TBF i think he was missing that 2nd man, Kitzbitchelr has come in and provided that opposition analysis which has allowed Ralph to concentrate on us.

A lot of people put the positive impact Ralph had when he arrived down to Danny Rohl though and our poor from this time last year was down to him and Ralph had been found out. 

I think and hope we’ve gone back to our Poch and first Koeman season ability to get the job done, often unspectacularly, against teams around and below us in the table. Aside from beating City in the first lockdown I don’t think we’ve done anything particularly special yet, so I won’t get too carried away until we beat a couple more of the ‘big six’ Leicester, Wolves etc.

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I think and hope we’ve gone back to our Poch and first Koeman season ability to get the job done, often unspectacularly, against teams around and below us in the table. Aside from beating City in the first lockdown I don’t think we’ve done anything particularly special yet, so I won’t get too carried away until we beat a couple more of the ‘big six’ Leicester, Wolves etc.

I sort of know what you are saying but we’ve also comprehensively beaten 3 teams you’d expect to finish midtable in the last few weeks. When you look back at the games we were miles better than all 3 of them and the result never really in doubt if anything should have been by more. It’ll be interesting to see how We fare against the bigger clubs But nothing to fear. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl