Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

52 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Ralph has a job for life here. But no doubt he will be off to a bigger club sooner or later. Let's enjoy whilst he's here.

It is likely that at some point he will be offered a reasonably bigger team BUT given how he works I wonder whether he would get the time he would need to implement his style at a club where trophies are demanded which would be the level. 

I think we will benefit from him for 2 or 3 more seasons yet and the longer he stays I think the more likely it is that he stays longer..   

The dream would be that he is here for a very long time and produces coaches (particualrly for academy) and his successor as well as players. 

• Like 2

One of the things I love about Ralph is that after his time with RBL he could have waited for a bigger job. But not only did he come here in the first place, his commitment to the job at hand has never wavered. Whilst this shouldn't be a thing of note, many others would have thought themselves too big for the role. 

What I hope this shows to the Board going forward is when sadly RH leaves for a bigger role, is not to get too cute on the next manager. RH instantly united the fan base with his pedigree and a clear identity of football. Clearly the players thought so too, as I remember Bertrand posting something on this.

If you look at our appointments over the last decade

- Pardew- huge pedigree for a league 1 club and built an excellent side, even if he wasn't the man to see it through

- Adkins- Was building an excellent reputation and technically stepped down from championship, albeit to a bigger club.  One of our best ever appointments. And was clearly a a manager on the rise

- Pochettino- This to me our luckiest appointment. Turned out excellent and continues to be excellent. Could have been a disaster but fair enough

- Koeman- Probably the biggest profile manager we have appointed in decades. Excellent

- Puel- Here we started to get cute. To me an atrocious manager clearly behind modern coaching techniques, but worst of all, tore apart what we had to implement his out of date ideas. And straight away support was split on him.

- Pellegrino- Even cuter, one of the worst ever appointments. No idea on what sort of football he wanted to implement, with one season of decent management behind him. A sackable offence by appointing him. And once again fans were rightfully suspicious. 

- Hughes- where do I begin here. A manager clearly on the decline with out of date football. Will be lucky to manage in the top two divisions again.

And then we appoint Ralph, who came in with modern football and clear identity. His CV was excellent, and he has proven to be excellent. Nearly every manager we have had, outside Poch, who has arrived with clear fan approval, has gone on to be successful. When we go again, let's not get cute and appoint some second division coach, but appoint a  manager who is a clear rising star with modern football and a pressing game

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sydney_saint said:

Adkins- Was building an excellent reputation and technically stepped down from championship, albeit to a bigger club.  One of our best ever appointments. And was clearly a a manager on the rise

hmmm kinda, bottled winning at least one league with a far superior team - especially in League 1. Happy he got us back to the top though.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 16:47, S-Clarke said:

Not sure why Massimiliano Allegri is never mentioned for these 'potential' top jobs? Proven manager who has won stacks with Juventus.

Chelsea are willing to give Frank Lampard more time as manager, but the situation is under constant review, with Thomas Tuchel, Max Allegri, Brendan Rodgers and Ralph Hasenhuttl considered the primary options if he is dismissed. (Independent)

They obviously check Saintsweb before going to press.

4 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

One of the things I love about Ralph is that after his time with RBL he could have waited for a bigger job. But not only did he come here in the first place, his commitment to the job at hand has never wavered. Whilst this shouldn't be a thing of note, many others would have thought themselves too big for the role. 

Unterhaching
Ahlen.
Ingolstadt.
Leipzig.
Southampton.

The premier league is considered as the best league in the world. It was a big chance for Ralph and he did not consider himself too big for the role, for sure. When you look at the career of Ralph, you can see that he always took over smaller teams, he developed and improved them. He never worked with stars so far. Even in Leipzig he had a young team to develope. I dont think, that he was on the list of a big club before he signed in Southampton.

• Like 1

Ralph would be the perfect fit for Chelsea, if they’re prepared to give him some time. 

I don’t see him leaving until end of the season at the very earliest though and I think they’ll probably go for a bigger name or Rodgers after Lampard

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Sacking Lampard would be nuts at this stage, it's only a two game turn around to be at the top again. 

He does need to stop playing Werner as a left winger though, that shits ridiculous.

In fairness, Werner played the majority off the left for Leipzig off a bigger man.

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

hmmm kinda, bottled winning at least one league with a far superior team - especially in League 1. Happy he got us back to the top though.

From memory I don't think we were ever top of League 1 that season and it was really all about pipping Huddersfield to 2nd as Brighton went top and stayed there fairly early on. We were in the relegation zone when Adkins took over in mid-September and ended the season really strongly (something like 13 wins in the last 15?) so can hardly say we bottled it.

Possibly an argument for that in the Championship season given we were top for most of it. Reading's late run was really strong though and ultimately it came down to that game with them towards the end of the season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

This argument has been done to death but Adkins did basically win League 1. In his tenure here he outscored everyone else in that league; it wasn't his fault Brighton basically had a 5 point head start, or whatever it was. Our form in that run in with Huddersfield was just insane. 13 wins out of 15 or something.

We missed out on the Championship title by 1 point, with a massively better GD. It's not as if we were way off. If the ref had the balls to give a Boro defender a cast iron red card in the penultimate game, we'd have won that too.

22 hours ago, trousers said:

One word... Legend

20210104_220312.jpg

Embarrassing if you ask me, noddy club behaviour. Watford dicked them 3-0 last season in a far more meaningful game than yesterday, and Pearson didn’t start blubbing like a school girl. He was fawning over Klopp all build up, way too much respect shown. There’s no doubt he’s a good manager for us, but so were Poch & Koeman, but they wouldn’t be acting like they’d won something. 

Can you imagine the Pompey takeover thread had Adams or Redknapp acted like that when they won a game in the premiership. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Embarrassing if you ask me, noddy club behaviour. Watford dicked them 3-0 last season in a far more meaningful game than yesterday, and Pearson didn’t start blubbing like a school girl.  

So should he suppress and bottle up emotion like an 'English gentleman' instead?

love actually GIF

Yeah absolutely. a standard 3-0 game in a standard season last season.

compared to a match just after he thoght his partner had Covid and missed the previous game and he had players dropping like flys. Adams, McCarthy, Romeu, Vestergaard, Redmond, Obafemi, Salisu all injured, before the game. Djenepo off on 30.

against a man you respect greatly and have never won a point from before.

The Guys emotionally drained.

Fair play to him for wearing it on his sleeve.

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Embarrassing if you ask me, noddy club behaviour. Watford dicked them 3-0 last season in a far more meaningful game than yesterday, and Pearson didn’t start blubbing like a school girl. He was fawning over Klopp all build up, way too much respect shown. There’s no doubt he’s a good manager for us, but so were Poch & Koeman, but they wouldn’t be acting like they’d won something. 

Can you imagine the Pompey takeover thread had Adams or Redknapp acted like that when they won a game in the premiership. 

I think it speaks volumes about the man. Totally opposite to what this post says about you. But hey you got a bite or two.

Edited by Toadhall Saint

I think it's a fair point that if it was Pompey person acting like that he'd be getting rinsed on here and rightly so.

It is Thierry Henry ovation-at-Fratton levels of pretty cringe-y behaviour.

We have beaten Liverpool before in recent times, and in more important fixtures (Cup semi at Anfield, for one, and the 3-2 win under Koeman spring to mind).

I get the personal challenge for Ralph, and the injury/covid issues and it was a genuine show of emotion. All fair enough.

Still a bit weird though.

Yep! Lets take emotion out of the game, we need more players and managers to act like robots in post-match interviews, can never get enough of their generic responses. Players and managers should stop celebrating victories, cringey and "noddy club" behaviour. Bring back the Claude Puel days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I think you can look at it another way. Sure, some fans will take the piss : let them enjoy, but the flipside of that is cameraderie and bond that could well develop from that moment between him and the players and also him and the fans that will then again relay itself onto the players. I dont think there is a bad angle  there, if anything bringing everyone in the club closer together,  especially on match days. I mean, Im not a  qualified therapist so I dont know. Its just a thought. 

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ducky as ever proving how out of touch he is and that he lives in the 1950's. Nowadays  there is nothing wrong in displaying a bit of emotion. Ralph showed in this moment what this team means to him and most fans applaud him for that.

• Sad 1

What’s he going to do if we ever win anything? 

I presume everyone was happy with the way he hero worshipped Klopp all week and had tears in his eyes when being interviewed over 15 mins after the game. Anyone who says they wouldn’t have taken the piss out of Redknapp had he done similar for the skates is lying. 

10 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Ducky as ever proving how out of touch he is and that he lives in the 1950's. Nowadays  there is nothing wrong in displaying a bit of emotion. Ralph showed in this moment what this team means to him and most fans applaud him for that.

When Lallana was pictured hugging Klopp when being subbed, did this place take the michael out of him/the situatiuon?

Edited by AlexLaw76

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

When Lallana was pictured hugging Klopp when being subbed, did this place take the michael out of him/the situatiuon?

Course the piss was taken. I suggest if lallana breaks down and starts crying if Brighton beat Liverpool, having spent all week fawning over Klopp the piss will be taken then as well. 

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What’s he going to do if we ever win anything? 

I presume everyone was happy with the way he hero worshipped Klopp all week and had tears in his eyes when being interviewed over 15 mins after the game. Anyone who says they wouldn’t have taken the piss out of Redknapp had he done similar for the skates is lying. 

1) Can you provide an example of the 'hero worshipping' you claim?

2) How do you suggest he should have withheld the emotion? How exactly do you stop yourself crying?

3) Hasenhuttl is managing during a pandemic. He has had the stress of a positive test close to a game. You also don't know what other stresses Hasenhuttl is under. Plus in any case... so what if he showed emotion?

That is healthier than bottling it all up!

love actually GIF

Our 1-0 win at Anfield was far more significant & dramatic than Monday, and it took us to only our 4th major final in our lifetime. Claude let his emotions go, but by the time of the after match interviews had composed himself. To be on your knees blubbing after a regular mid season game is embarrassing, no matter who you’ve beaten. Are this Liverpool that good that they deserve that honour. No, only an underdog or noddy club would think so. Is there anyone claiming they wouldn’t take the piss if the skates did it? 

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Our 1-0 win at Anfield was far more significant & dramatic than Monday, and it took us to only our 4th major final in our lifetime. Claude let his emotions go, but by the time of the after match interviews had composed himself. To be on your knees blubbing after a regular mid season game is embarrassing, no matter who you’ve beaten. Are this Liverpool that good that they deserve that honour. No, only an underdog or noddy club would think so. Is there anyone claiming they wouldn’t take the piss if the skates did it? 

Can you answer questions 1) 2) & 3) please 👼

38 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) Can you provide an example of the 'hero worshipping' you claim?

2) How do you suggest he should have withheld the emotion? How exactly do you stop yourself crying?

3) Hasenhuttl is managing during a pandemic. He has had the stress of a positive test close to a game. You also don't know what other stresses Hasenhuttl is under. Plus in any case... so what if he showed emotion?

That is healthier than bottling it all up!

love actually GIF

Isn't withholding emotion part of the job?

Kind of why Eric Cantona got a nine month ban in the 1990s.

Can't see what the issue is - the bloke has a positive Covid case in his house which turned out to be a false positive, unless we have experienced that scenario we have no idea what the personal effect that has on a person.............then at work you have your number issues hampering the preparations to play the top team in the land. 

At the end of 97 minutes you have pulled the rabbit out of the hat putting 3 points in the bag, with all of that going on the relief was probably immense: most of us at home watching were on edge for 95 minutes.............he might has had an eye watering win bonus riding on this. 

I had the last of 3 very very late to arrive 40ft Containers delivered to my customer on Christmas Eve - I was doing the funky chicken at home - Mrs JBS who will no doubt spending my commission from the sale was "Whatever".

If a Southampton manager is passionate enough about Southampton winning games, if it means that much to him, if his team and his tactics mean we can beat the reigning champions and arguably one of the best teams in Europe, and that passion is so strong that he shows some emotion at the end of the game.......then that'll do for me. 

Simon Jordan Chairman of Crystal Palace. on Talk Sport criticizes Ralph for showing emotion? Is that the same Crystal Palace that were beaten at home, by the same Liverpool 0-7 two weeks ago?  I bet Jordan showed some different f**king emotion after that thumping.  Tosser!

And to worry what The Skates might think? I don't give a flying f*ck what they might think. They, together with about 88 other football league clubs would love to have a manager like Ralph in charge. He has turned this club around from a club playing boring football, habitually struggling to avoid relegation, to where we are now, playing some of the most attractive, successful football we have seen in years and long may he reign. 

• Like 3

On 05/01/2021 at 21:21, Nolan said:

Yeah absolutely. a standard 3-0 game in a standard season last season.

compared to a match just after he thoght his partner had Covid and missed the previous game and he had players dropping like flys. Adams, McCarthy, Romeu, Vestergaard, Redmond, Obafemi, Salisu all injured, before the game. Djenepo off on 30.

against a man you respect greatly and have never won a point from before.

The Guys emotionally drained.

Fair play to him for wearing it on his sleeve.

Us viewers were drained, so imagine how drained Ralph must have been watching so close to the action.

I think some of the critisism of Ralph is a sympton of the last remnants of  British culture of reserve and stiff upper lip. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Piran said:

The latter. And it really is tiresome.

I don't find it tiresome, we are not here to reach consensus, it's all about opinions, views and chit chat. I enjoy strong views, unless those views are being imposed on others, which I don't believe this poster does. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don't find it tiresome, we are not here to reach consensus, it's all about opinions, views and chit chat. I enjoy strong views, unless those views are being imposed on others, which I don't believe this poster does. 

Correct.

It comes to something when having different views means you’re just on a wind up & not a fan. I found his whole reaction OTT, particularly as someone posted a picture on his knees with the words “legend”. Firstly he’s not a legend in any sense in my eyes (only Lawrie & Ted hold that managerial honour) & secondly, I’d want a manager to win a game a bit more important than that to start blabbing. But, here’s the thing, it’s just an opinion. It doesn’t make me less or more of a fan, than anyone else.

Top clubs would be stupid not to be looking at Ralph. His success at Saints has been earned and he has shown he can get a team playing to a specific style and improve players, whilst also coming across very well to supporters and the media.

I just hope that when the time comes and he does leave, that it can be done in a respectful way that keeps his reputation here intact.

If so, and he gets a great opportunity in the future then fair play - its been a mutually brilliant appointment.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Top clubs would be stupid not to be looking at Ralph. His success at Saints has been earned and he has shown he can get a team playing to a specific style and improve players, whilst also coming across very well to supporters and the media.

I just hope that when the time comes and he does leave, that it can be done in a respectful way that keeps his reputation here intact.

If so, and he gets a great opportunity in the future then fair play - its been a mutually brilliant appointment.

I can only believe that when he does move on/up, it will be done respectfully, no matter what time of the season it is.

I am hoping that we can keep him for a while. He seems to like a project....building something from the bottom up. I don't think that he will quickly forget how the club stood by him and still believed in him after the Leicester debacle. I am not sure that life at a "Top 6" club with the need for instant success would be Ralph's ideal situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

I am hoping that we can keep him for a while. He seems to like a project....building something from the bottom up. I don't think that he will quickly forget how the club stood by him and still believed in him after the Leicester debacle. I am not sure that life at a "Top 6" club with the need for instant success would be Ralph's ideal situation.

Agreed

He's managed only 2 or 3 years at all his previous clubs, so it doesn't bode well unless he sees something different with us.  He's managing in the best league in the world now, so that's something.  It may be that he sees Saints as the highest platform to let his style of play show through and will stick with it (providing he's given reasonable backing!). 

As written above, a top 6 club just may not suit him for the time being, or it may be wishful thinking on our behalf.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl