Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd absolutely take Walcott.  Offers something we do not have, in raw pace.  Can play either through the middle or either wing, and makes the squad stronger.

I hope he joins.

He really hasn't got raw pace anymore, and that was most of his game when the Premier didn't have quite such an emphasis on that, and he appeared to be an outlier. Now (almost) every team has it, somewhere or other (including us). I hope we look elsewhere.

30 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This clearly doesn't fit our usual profile and ordinarily I'd be thinking, no, not for us however... if this is the loan of an experienced Premier League player with an affinity for the club that tides us over as cover for a season at a point when we might be taken over and, hopefully, exposed to an increase in transfer funds in future seasons, then it could be ok. If it's Boufal out and Walcott in then I feel we would be trading up in terms of potential productivity for a season given Boufal hasn't worked out on a consistent basis and, let's be honest, Armstrong and Redmond are Ralph's starters in the attacking midfield department right now unless we spend a lot of money to replace them. Welcome home Theo, if it happens, and seemingly I've talked myself into being ok with this... 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

Guessing remaining business will be Butland in and Gunn out, plus either Davies, RLC or Theo Walcott in on loan, but could do with a little extra creative zip behind the front two in my view

Butland in would be the most bizarre thing ever.  

15 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd absolutely take Walcott.  Offers something we do not have, in raw pace.  Can play either through the middle or either wing, and makes the squad stronger.

I hope he joins.

He hasn't had raw pace since around 2015, he's about the same speed as Redmond now. Maybe slower.

1 minute ago, DT said:

Guessing remaining business will be Butland in and Gunn out, plus either Davies, RLC or Theo Walcott in on loan, but could do with a little extra creative zip behind the front two in my view

Talk of Williams too. Think it’s him and a wide player. I think Williams will not move until Man U confirm if they have Telles or not.

Walcott would be backup to Armstrong and I guess he could probably do that role fairly well.  Ralph has said previously that Armstrong struggles with too many games in short periods so it kind of makes sense from a squad point of view but it's a disappointing loan if it happens.  It's also a bit of a rebuke to anyone thinking Smallbone was the answer - clearly not if this is Ralph's thinking.  

I don't understand the Walcott links tbh. We've got 4 strikers already. Plus, Ralph has always mentioned that the 2 wide players operate as #10s. Walcott isn't that and doesn't provide the the qualities we'd need in an Armstrong substitute. RLC makes more sense in that role than Walcott does. 

4 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Walcott would be backup to Armstrong and I guess he could probably do that role fairly well.  Ralph has said previously that Armstrong struggles with too many games in short periods so it kind of makes sense from a squad point of view but it's a disappointing loan if it happens.  It's also a bit of a rebuke to anyone thinking Smallbone was the answer - clearly not if this is Ralph's thinking.  

To do what Armstrong does needs a footballing brain and Walcott has never struck me as having one 

6 minutes ago, Neef said:

I don't understand the Walcott links tbh. We've got 4 strikers already. Plus, Ralph has always mentioned that the 2 wide players operate as #10s. Walcott isn't that and doesn't provide the the qualities we'd need in an Armstrong substitute. RLC makes more sense in that role than Walcott does. 

Which part of Tom Barclay saying RLC is not coming did you not understand

Edited by waylander

4 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Can't understand the negative response to Theo. Ultimately if he is backup to Armstrong then he improves the team. Clearly an upgrade on Smallbone.

yes very much so.....and another thing if a chance falls to him or Adams in the box I know which one I'm backing to find the net !

7 minutes ago, waylander said:

Which part of Tom Barclay saying RLC is not coming did you not understand

He’s not wrong though, is he. 

Theo would be a dreadful signing for us (unless we plan to play him off ings as back up to adams - not really needed) and I’d expect he’ll be on roughly the amount RLC is (after Chelsea contribute £100k towards it). 

strikes me a desperation, if I’m honest. I’m not convinced he’s any better than dejenpo. 

9 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Can't understand the negative response to Theo. Ultimately if he is backup to Armstrong then he improves the team. Clearly an upgrade on Smallbone.

I think he'll be demanding that he starts. Wont be leaving Everton where he cant get a game to come here to sit on the bench. Not for me

11 minutes ago, Saint Scott said:

Why do we need to fork out on huge wages and take a massive injury risk to achieve the benchmark of "he's an upgrade on Will Smallbone".

Pretty sure we can find an upgrade on Will Smallbone in plenty of places.

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Graeme Bailey
@GraemeBailey
Theo Walcott has decided to leave Everton on loan...Southampton, West Ham, Crystal Palace and Newcastle all said they would take him but a move back to St Mary's looks to be his preference at the moment...

Oh dear

Willams rumours from wilson

They also made an enquiry to sign Manchester United full-back Brandon Williams on loan to provide back-up to both Ryan Bertrand and Kyle Walker-Peters. That deal is unlikely, however, as Southampton are in less competitions this season than Manchester United and so may offer even fewer playing opportunities.

I'd be happy with Walcott. Most on here were clamouring for us to sign him  20-odd months ago. Yes, he hasn't exactly set the world alight at Everton but do think he'd bring something different with his pace and his finishing can be decent when he's playing with confidence. Hopefully the sentimental nature of his return might help restore some of that. Pretty low-risk if it is a one-year loan and assume Everton will be subsidising some of the wages - doubt we'd be pursuing this if it was going to break the bank. 

Twitter is talking about Pascal Grob from Birghton.... would normally discount it but he played for Ingolstadt for 3yrs under Ralph, knows the system and more squad depth ?

Apparently created a lot of chances when playing for them from midfield

"He created more chances than any other player in the league that season, a total of 95 chances."

Groß can operate as a central midfielder, a winger, and an attacking midfielder - sounds useful

Edited by Convict Colony

1 minute ago, Saint Scott said:
Yes please

DeichStube say another Premier League club is in for Milot Rashica, not Aston Villa. No indication of which one, but he had been linked with Southampton and Leeds. #AVFC #SVW #SaintsFC #LUFC

Could have some legs somewhere as apparently Gruijic is now off to Werder

12 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Twitter is talking about Pascal Grob from Birghton.... would normally discount it but he played for Ingolstadt for 3yrs under Ralph, knows the system and more squad depth ?

Apparently created a lot of chances when playing for them from midfield

"He created more chances than any other player in the league that season, a total of 95 chances."

Groß can operate as a central midfielder, a winger, and an attacking midfielder - sounds useful

He’s a good player. I would be happy with him.