Burnley vs Saints — Build-up

SuperSAINT

11 hours ago, waylander said:

Bookies are offering 2/1 (in the shop) on a Burnley win - seemed very generous to me so I invested

That man should be burned at the stake (if that's a win for Burnley)!! (joking mate)

Edited by Jeremy

3 hours ago, saint97 said:

Quite fancy us for this one as they don't have Tarkowski and Mee available. 3-1

Palace didn't have most of their first choice back line and we still stuffed that up! 😉 I hope things can be different against Burnley otherwise the League table will not be looking good even at this early stage.

2 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Burnley with a stacked injury list... we know how this one goes! 1-0 Burnley, Chris Wood free header.

We've been pretty fortunate with injuries.  If we had half the numbers of players injured as some of the teams around us we'd be down to the bare bones. 

Because I live locally been here a few times, the weather for last season's opener was worse than the February game earlier that year in the previous season!!!

This is one of the toughest games of the season but inidividually our players are better (except for JRod who is a class apart as we should all know). Our performance as a team will decide this especially at the back, Danny to make a big impact if we get this right. 

COYS!!!

1 hour ago, CougarSaint said:

inidividually our players are better (except for JRod who is a class apart as we should all know). 

A pretty arrogant comment to make. They've finished above us in the last 3 season and are unbeaten in 7 vs us. Pope, Mee and Tarkowski are three players from theirs that would walk into our starting 11 for example. 

5 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

A pretty arrogant comment to make. They've finished above us in the last 3 season and are unbeaten in 7 vs us. Pope, Mee and Tarkowski are three players from theirs that would walk into our starting 11 for example. 

Arrogant I agree, but 2 of those you mention are injured. They potentially have 7 first teamers out so we should win but remember what happened at Palace when they had 8 out injured.........

Hopefully the extra week further on means we are a bit fitter, sharper and more organised. This short pre-season has apparently mucked up loads of teams and they think that is why so many mistakes/goals are going in but I think probably because of our style or play (and Ralph oddly implemented a new defensive system) we are suffering from this the most. We know when he doesn't get time to work with the players that the team doesn't perform great. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kjurwi said:

Is Salisu now an option? I'm so desperate i would now think about playing Salisu- Bednarek in defense and try Stephens as a CM together with JWP.

This suggestion will never cease to baffle me, but yet it keeps cropping up. 

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Stephens is not remotely suited to playing in central midfield at Premier League level.

Agree. But neither is Smallbone, Slattery or Jankewitz. 

Romeu - JWP is the only players we have that are good enough to play in the PL as CM. If one of them can't play then i would try Stephens.

2 hours ago, kjurwi said:

Is Salisu now an option? I'm so desperate i would now think about playing Salisu- Bednarek in defense and try Stephens as a CM together with JWP.

This is very sound thinking but a bit ‘blue sky’ for football tactics at Saints who can’t think outside the box or in it half the time!

Edited by captainchris

5 minutes ago, LeG said:

He used to play there :) He was converted to a CB after his move to us.

Nine years ago in the lower leagues, doesn’t mean he’s ready to play in midfield in a premier league team. 

Anyway, it’s not going to happen. 

3 hours ago, Appy said:

I don’t know where this thought has ever come from that Stephens could do a job in midfield. It’s an absolute nonsense. 

It comes from the fact that Stephens played in CM for Swindon. Not all the time but on a few occasions. AFAIK Swindon were not in the PL at the time. Pretty clear to me that Stephens is first choice CB and Salisu will eventually partner him. Maybe Bednarek could play CM 🤔 We currently don't have any effective backup for Romeu, I don't think anyone seriously considers Smallbone as defensive mid cover, he is cover for Armstrong, or at a push JWP. 

Southampton XI: McCarthy, Walker-Peters, Vestergaard, Bednarek, Bertrand, Armstong, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Djenepo, Adams, Ings

Burnley XI: Pope, Bardsley, Long, Dunne, Taylor, Stephens, Westwood, Brownhill, McNeil, Wood, Vydra.

Edited by skintsaint