Sport Republic

Dusic

11 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Is Tella a product of our Academy? 10 years at Arsenal before he joined us when he was 17. 

It’s a fair point. In Tella’s case I’d say yes just about, insofar as from what I understand he was told at Arsenal that he wasn’t being taken on any further and had a few trials before we picked him up. I can certainly understand why it might be suggested otherwise though and that he should be considered a signing. I’d just say that part of an academy, aside from bringing through players of our own from a younger age, is identifying young players at other academies (either successful players or dropouts) and bringing them into our fold to bring them through. So in that mind he’s definitely a success story of the academy IMO.

21 hours ago, The Kraken said:

It’s a fair point. In Tella’s case I’d say yes just about, insofar as from what I understand he was told at Arsenal that he wasn’t being taken on any further and had a few trials before we picked him up. I can certainly understand why it might be suggested otherwise though and that he should be considered a signing. I’d just say that part of an academy, aside from bringing through players of our own from a younger age, is identifying young players at other academies (either successful players or dropouts) and bringing them into our fold to bring them through. So in that mind he’s definitely a success story of the academy IMO.

Agree with you totally, my point really was that Tella was perhaps not the best example of the value for money of the Academy, because he was a player that we signed from elsewhere (OK he was effectively a free agent) rather than one who had been brought through our Academy from the start. he debate is becoming whether there is any merit in having an Academy, but I think the debate is focused around the kids, 8 year olds and so on upwards, not whether we can effectively buy players from other academies. It is an interesting debate, being compared with how Brentford have dispensed with their academy. I see Ralph defending it today, on the basis that we are there for the local kids, but not necessarily saying it is there for us to develop players for the first team. Personally I  think the Academy system has gone very wrong in the last few years and needs a radical revisit.

Hopefully Mr Pedant will not barge his way in on this post. 

Our record of finding players to give a second chance to has not had many hits up to this point, and if Chelsea are setting the way forward, clubs wont be dropping players with potential as they will hold on and loan out instead. Maybe this is what we are trying but with less success?

Our academy clearly is not working the way it did in the past. I have seen all these reasons suggested, but unfortunately it will take a really long time to show if any of these was the case.

1) Poor coaching staff

2) Competition for talent

3) Timing due to relegation/administration

4) Being lucky/not as good as we think

5) Poor progression planning

My money is on 1 and as we dropped the ball for a number of years and we are now suffering from 2 as others have increased their effort in this department. I think the underlying reason was 4, some in the club believed in their own hype regarding their ability to replace managers and players (which did not work out after all) and this also occurred in the youth set up, just took longer to manifest itself due to the nature of the product being produced.

• Like 1

On 10/01/2022 at 18:13, Monk said:

For those interested in the potential similarities that might be adopted from the 'Red Bull model' there's a great book called 'Wings of Change' which is all about the Red Bull franchise, it's operations and issues.

Decent little read. 

Thanks for that, I've ordered it, looking forward to giving it a read. 

15 hours ago, AlexSerbia said:

Hi guys,

Here's an interesting article I read the other day about the owners. It's in English, but the source is Serbian.

https://www.rferl.org/a/serbia-southhampton-soccer-battle/31649742.html

Hope this gives you a better picture who is your new owner. Cheers and congrats on your latest win!

Cheers Alex. 

15 hours ago, AlexSerbia said:

Hi guys,

Here's an interesting article I read the other day about the owners. It's in English, but the source is Serbian.

Hope this gives you a better picture who is your new owner. Cheers and congrats on your latest win!

I read through it but I'll be honest that left my head spinning a bit. Anyone able to summarise in a way someone with no savvy about this kind of stuff would understand?

23 hours ago, AlexSerbia said:

Hi guys,

Interesting read, thanks @AlexSerbia

So here’s the plan then, state don’t like him much, but to piss him off, in a roundabout way,  hock the family silver and splurge an obscene amount of money grabbing the TV rights for the Premier League that only a complete loon would bid against, let alone consider.

Dragans cunning plan is to stick us in the top six or better still do a Leicester and thank the Serbian people for making is possible - either way commentators are going to mention Dragan Šolaks Southampton in the coverage.

That last bit was tongue in cheek. 

I wonder when the dust has settled on this news, if the club might put out a video or some other content to talk about the vision of the new owners.

It would be good to have a bit more understanding what the vision and plan is for Southampton FC. To actually hear from the owners in a video in a more open way would be good. It would be a refreshing change from what we had from the previous owner. I think the only thing we heard from him was that bizarre short video of him saying "We march on".

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Saint J 77 said:

I wonder when the dust has settled on this news, if the club might put out a video or some other content to talk about the vision of the new owners.

It would be good to have a bit more understanding what the vision and plan is for Southampton FC. To actually hear from the owners in a video in a more open way would be good. It would be a refreshing change from what we had from the previous owner. I think the only thing we heard from him was that bizarre short video of him saying "We march on".

I posted something similar earlier in the thread but got a bit shot down for some reason. Seems a reasonable thought to me....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

I can’t wait for the questions. They’re usually right on money.

Thoughts on what Big Baz from Midanbury should ask, @Turkish?

I’ve been a season ticket holder since 1973, id like to ask dragon what he’s going to do about paper tickets me and Denise can’t use computers so why do we have to pay to have tickets printed in ain’t our fault and my other point is can we get multi packs of chocolate bars to stop us having to go down stairs at half time? It’s really frustrating

• Haha 6

When the news of the takeover broke, Ralph said in one of his press conferences that this would enable us to do our business much more quickly in the transfer window as we would no longer be impeded by the need to sell players to raise cash first. 

20th Jan today so where are these new assets?

The lack of activity must suggest that we will not be doing any business this month. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

When the news of the takeover broke, Ralph said in one of his press conferences that this would enable us to do our business much more quickly in the transfer window as we would no longer be impeded by the need to sell players to raise cash first. 

The lack of activity must suggest that we will not be doing any business this month. 

We may well be doing our bit more quickly but there’s always 2 clubs and also agents involved that can string things out. Most business will be concluded in the final hours of the window, as usual.

7 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You don't half come out with a load of old shit sometimes.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Buying players ain't like buying something off amazon mate, these things take time. Anyways, we're not desperate, if we can't get the right player at the right price, we're good til the summer. Chill chas.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

You do realise there is a global component shortage? Lots of orders are on extended lead times at the moment 

• Haha 6

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You do realise there is a global component shortage? Lots of orders are on extended lead times at the moment 

Are you telling us that Mr Gaos parting gesture of a new player from Guangzhou FC is still cooped up in a container on Yiantian  quayside…….poor sod!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The financial situation might be better but we still have the same dithering staff. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Are you telling us that Mr Gaos parting gesture of a new player from Guangzhou FC is still cooped up in a container on Yiantian  quayside…….poor sod!

Your not allowed to put chinese in containers anymore....................................................

• Like 1

21 hours ago, egg said:

Buying players ain't like buying something off amazon mate, these things take time. Anyways, we're not desperate, if we can't get the right player at the right price, we're good til the summer. Chill chas.

But hang on a minute. I've paid for the Amazon Transfer Players Prime so I expect them to be delivered within 24 hours. If not, I will be writing you a very stern letter indeed.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Solak made clear he will not be funding the sort of big-money signings that football fans crave: “I’m not the Sheikh of Abu Dhabi or the prince of Saudi Arabia,” he said in a nod to rival owners. “I cannot bring 500m to buy new players.”

Marko Milosavljevic, journalism professor at the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia, described United as the Serbian president’s “natural enemy number one”. Solak lives in Switzerland and says he avoids travelling to Serbia because of fears for his safety.

Please stay clear of dodgy-looking characters carrying umbrellas, Dragan.

38 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Wait am i tired or is that Kat ? she looks a lot more aerodynamic than last time, good for her, now's she rid herself of some deadweight in Gao she is having fun again.

Nah its Adele being lined up for the half time entertainment last game of the season😉

Edited by Toadhall Saint
  • Haha 3

On 20/01/2022 at 18:14, Charlie Wayman said:

He never said quicker in this window he said quicker in general, so instead of signing a young player for the future next summer we might do it this window. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sport Republic