Sport Republic

Dusic

15 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Broja permanent, a decent GK (Henderson my preference, although probably unlikely) and a DCM would do me🤣

Seems unlikely we would get a gk on before the summer and I can't see a dm. We've lacked someone to play the tadic role since he left so that would be my choice. 

39 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

Does this mean we will deep into the transfer market now although Ralph said he is happy with the squad?. 

I hope he isn’t. No manager should ever not want to improve the squad if there is a chance too 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Seems unlikely we would get a gk on before the summer and I can't see a dm. We've lacked someone to play the tadic role since he left so that would be my choice. 

I tend to agree to be fair but Semmens saying we can do things "quicker" makes me wonder we might get the GK now. I agree about the Tadic role to but think we need to shift a couple in that type of role first. 

31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You'd like to think we'd make at least one decent signing given the new owners would want to boost morale I'm sure. 

They seem pretty shrewd, and I’m sure they know that that finalizing this just as the window opens creates a higher level of expectation. If they’re not willing to do something they would probably have waited. I’m not expecting fireworks but I think it’ll be smart squad improvement. I also suspect that part of their due diligence involved time on here, so they’ll be well aware that a keeper is a priority. 😂

• Like 1

All sounds like a great fit, like others I’m cautiously optimistic. Hopefully this is our sustainable model with that bit more of a foundation and financial flexibility to make it work for us.

I wonder if this is actually more likely to prevent Broja staying on though. One of my close friends is Albanian and he just messaged me “say goodbye to Broja”. I’m sure the association would be seen as unacceptable in his family. The hatred against Serbia is unwavering and for good reason.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You'd like to think we'd make at least one decent signing given the new owners would want to boost morale I'm sure. 

My gut feeling is that we won’t and that won’t be their approach. We don’t look like being anywhere near the relegation battle and there is no compelling need to spend in any position. We’d all like a GK and a decent #10 but January is notorious for poor value and unless the right player happens to be available now for the right deal, I can’t see much happening.

• Like 1

A multi club approach along with other sporting assets, with SFC as the cornerstone. Does this suggest multi-sports at Southampton, this is popular on the continent, including Red Star Belgrade. Will we be hooking up with a rugby team or even an E Sports team?

Edited by Fan The Flames

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

We have enough to stay up comfortably imo. The business savvy thing to do is to save our money in jan unless a great deal comes up and then spend in the summer. Less fun though.

I doubt it’s lost on them that we’re only 7 points away from 8th, so it depends on what their aspirations are.

5 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I doubt it’s lost on them that we’re only 7 points away from 8th, so it depends on what their aspirations are.

Teams have spent half a billion finishing 8th, so I doubt we’ll be chucking money at that particular dream in January. It sounds like we’ve got an ethos and a business model in mind, rather than chasing any particular league position. Given that there are about 12 clubs who all think they belong in the champions league, I’m fine with that.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Teams have spent half a billion finishing 8th, so I doubt we’ll be chucking money at that particular dream in January. It sounds like we’ve got an ethos and a business model in mind, rather than chasing any particular league position. Given that there are about 12 clubs who all think they belong in the champions league, I’m fine with that.

Yeah top 8 is a perfectly feasible goal long term with good development of well scouted players but to make a meaningful push for it in the next half a season we'd need ready made, proven, europa league level players who can hit the ground running and that would cost an absolute fortune and probably wouldn't be in line with the model they have just described.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I've already said I'm not expecting any fireworks, so there was no suggestion of chucking money around, but I specifically referenced a keeper. Eighth seems like a pipe dream but it's hard to believe that we're only seven points away from it with all the crazy shit that's happened this year - especially the second half capitulations

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Well it certainly feels a lot better than the Goa deal, although given we had to find a loop hole in the rules to let him buy us then it'd be hard not too. It all feels like a very good fit. I'm sure Dragan will be delighted i've given him the Turkish seal of approval.

Do honour the memory of our dear departed chairman by at least spelling his name correctly (it's only 3 letters FFS).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

All sounds like a great fit, like others I’m cautiously optimistic. Hopefully this is our sustainable model with that bit more of a foundation and financial flexibility to make it work for us.

I wonder if this is actually more likely to prevent Broja staying on though. One of my close friends is Albanian and he just messaged me “say goodbye to Broja”. I’m sure the association would be seen as unacceptable in his family. The hatred against Serbia is unwavering and for good reason.

The kid was born in Slough and lived here his whole life to be fair. I doubt he feels the pressure as much as someone who lives in Albania.

Exciting sales pitch to us fans, lets see where we are in a few years. We will never break the bank to get top 4, but aiming for top 8 consistently with more frequent Euro qualification is realistic, might even win a major cup one year while I'm alive.

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TWar said:

I am cautiously optimistic. The brentford guy being involved is pretty exciting if he brings some of that Brentford transfer know how.

16 hours ago, TWar said:

Lucky asset stripping is blocked as it is under half the value of our playing squad according to TM. And that's with pretty strange valuations like Salisu at £9m.

We are also paying  back  that 70 million loan so it’s cost  nearly 200 not 100

9 hours ago, Saint Since '51 said:

Are you sure?

nope, hands up i got the chess players date of birth confused with our new owners. Our new owner is 57 and therefore in his 30's during the period you mentioned and could have been doing anything at that age. I would like to think he was in no way involved in anything horrendous during that very sad time.

Sounds like our executive had the "luxury" to shop around for a new owner which seems relatively unusual and may be a great parting gift from our previous owner. Based on the past few years' communications and deeds, I strongly believe Semmens & co have the club's best interest at heart and the ability to take us forward. They would have been savvy to the pitfalls of potential new ownership and, by being afforded the opportunity to apply due care and diligence in the selection process, possibly found the best partners and owners.

We may not see prompt direct first team player investment (don't think we'll buy ourselves into Europe) but we might now have the ability to attract exciting or retain established players. And if the new owners do focus on infrastructure (stadium upgrades sounds good to me) and long term investments (academy, women's team, multi-sport)... it would sound more than fair to me.

Time will tell but the future does look brighter today.  COYR

• Like 3

Two juicy morsels:

--------------------------------------------------------

"It’s understood that Southampton hasn’t got the option to pay it back until June and that conversations will take place with Sport Republic about when it gets settled.

No decision has been made at this stage, but The Athletic can reveal that there is an intention to pay down part of this loan as soon as is possible."

--------------------------------------------------------

While he wouldn’t reveal the figure, Semmens explained the club has received an injection of cash in light of the takeover.

This doesn’t mean they will be competing to sign Kylian Mbappe in the summer, but it’s believed a commitment has been made to provide money for the next two years from a capital expenditure point of view.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Broja permanent, a decent GK (Henderson my preference, although probably unlikely) and a DCM would do me🤣

I would imagine that any prospect of signing Broja has taken a serious dent with this takeover. Depends if he buys into the bitter Albanian / Serbian hatred.

Edited by Saint86

9 hours ago, goodymatt said:

This Albania/Serbia thing is absolute bollocks! Just because two govts don’t like each other, doesn’t mean that trickles down to the players…..if it did we’d be kissing goodbye to Stu Armstrong, Che Adams and Romain Perraud 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

I guess, at the moment, I’m more relieved than excited, but this does seem like a step forward even if it’s not a quantum leap.

I see our odds for relegation have also drifted out to about 17/1 or even 19/1 with some bookmakers, suggesting punters think this improves our position too.

2 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

This Albania/Serbia thing is absolute bollocks! Just because two govts don’t like each other, doesn’t mean that trickles down to the players…..if it did we’d be kissing goodbye to Stu Armstrong, Che Adams and Romain Perraud 🤣🤣

It's a little more complicated than just two governments disagreeing, but I get your point. Hopefully Broja is savvy enough to recognise that this guy is not personally responsible for the historical atrocities committed against a country in which he wasn't even born and that hating every Serbian because of it is irrational and absurd.

4 minutes ago, maysie said:

Anyone know who Rolf Bogli is?

This fella?

https://www.finews.com/news/english-news/47000-belvedere-rolf-boegli-board-credit-suisse-sec

b76f3c2b7a27432acfc4c7741cc4dc11_w500_h300_cp.jpg

Swiss asset manager Belvédère has elected a controversial former top manager at Credit Suisse to its board.

Former UBS and Credit Suisse banker Rolf Bögli has joined the board of Glarus-based Belvédère Asset Management, the company said in a press release Friday.

Bögli has been working as an independent strategy consultant to family offices and independent asset managers since 2014.

At the end of 2013, Bögli left his job as head of private banking Switzerland at Credit Suisse, officially for health reasons. However, his departure came after a report by a US Senate Committee on Credit Suisse’s role in offshore tax evasion.

Bögli was accused of wrongly classifying clients’ custody assets as net new assets. This resulted in U.S. regulator, the Securities and Exchange Commission,  fining Credit Suisse $90 million in 2016.

Edited by trousers

17 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's a little more complicated than just two governments disagreeing, but I get your point. Hopefully Broja is savvy enough to recognise that this guy is not personally responsible for the historical atrocities committed against a country in which he wasn't even born and that hating every Serbian because of it is irrational and absurd.

Looks like the countries are burying the hatchet and forming a political alliance anyway...

https://www.euronews.com/2021/12/22/albania-north-macedonia-and-serbia-hold-talks-at-open-balkan-summit

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Probably different where born in Slough….but these two players are Swiss born https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44586587

12 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Hearing Martin Semmens speak on Solent he is very reassuring. Maybe I'm naive but it feels like he's a good and intelligent bloke who does actually care. Very pleased he, Crocker and Steele are staying.

If he feels this is good for the club then I'm on board. Whilst we could have had a much worse owner than Gao, it feels like SFC has had a millstone removed from round it's neck., but only time will tell.

The thing I'm in 2 minds about is Kat's 20%

On the one hand if I was buying the company, I'd want 100% not 80% and I wonder why Kat is hanging about. But on the other, I guess she wants to protect that 20%, even though she has made a fortune from the 80%, so she won't want it to go belly up. 

17 minutes ago, angelman said:

The thing I'm in 2 minds about is Kat's 20%

On the one hand if I was buying the company, I'd want 100% not 80% and I wonder why Kat is hanging about. But on the other, I guess she wants to protect that 20%, even though she has made a fortune from the 80%, so she won't want it to go belly up. 

Not sure what the issue is. The owner will have control of the club and have paid at least 20% less for the privelige. Kat still has shares which under new ownership may increase in value. Sounds like a win for both of them without any negative impact on the club/team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Let alone teams having German, Italian, and especially Japanese players.

21 minutes ago, egg said:

Not sure what the issue is. The owner will have control of the club and have paid at least 20% less for the privelige. Kat still has shares which under new ownership may increase in value. Sounds like a win for both of them without any negative impact on the club/team. 

Just perhaps Kat stays around as she genuinely cares for the club as we have been told, also maybe her 20 % keeps her with a say in what happens to her fathers legacy and allows her to veto any purchasers that weren’t a good fit in her eyes as has been reported. I don’t like some of the disgusting abuse hurled at her on here it’s pathetic and childish, she has supported the club and let them get on with it, who also knows how GAO may have turned out had china not stopped him, but in reality he did little wrong as has been stated by Semmens. 
Anyway the new owners seem interesting and Semmens seems happy so onwards and upwards hopefully. COYR

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Dorchester Saint said:

I have Albanian friends that have lived in England almost all of their life, but the hatred against Serbia is still full on. I went over to Albania to see them get married, their culture is as patriotic as you can be. Puts us to shame really!

Sure their kids are born here now but they all still have family back home and they are all brought up as Albanians, by Albanians that moved here for safety and a better life. When Broja scores we see his eagle celebration every time. Being born in Slough makes no difference at all, any association to Serbia can only worsen our chances of loaning Broja next season IMO. 

Of course I hope he decides to leave Chelsea and sign for us permanently, but that’s unlikely with or without a Serbian owner.

Edited by goodymatt
  • Like 1

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, the latest Sky write-up on the takeover. 

'Southampton confirm £100m takeover deal - who are new owners?'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12509028

I can’t help being a little bit excited about this. The Sport Republic operating model fits our principles closely - a return to the Black Box but hopefully the very latest model on steroids.

There won’t be wild spending or marquee signings, but, I hope, acquisitions like Tino and maybe Broja: unidentified talent to be developed, or identified talent blocked from progress in their current club.

And the personnel seem well qualified: success at Brentford and Midtjylland on the football front and in building a business, with enough cash for investment in a sensible way. Add in Semmens who I think has done a fantastic job under the constraints of Gao and legacy signings, and of course Ralph, and dare I dream the future is bright?

Edited by Shroppie
  • Like 5

Hi guys, a Serb here. So, the lead investor, Dragan Šolak, is a person who is an owner of TV channels and news outlets who are actually fighting for free speech in Serbia and against corrupted government that has ties with organised crime and mafia. So, basically, he's one of the good guys. He is portrayed by state controlled media as a number 1 public enemy, because he's media outlets are exposing a lot of corruption and crime. Don't use sources as Kurir, Blic, Informer, Alo, Serbian Telegraph, Pink, Prva, B92, RTS. These are all big outlets controlled by our government. Dragan's media outlets are N1, Nova and SportKlub. I wish you luck, you are in good hands.

• Like 38

1 minute ago, AlexSerbia said:

Hi guys, a Serb here. So, the lead investor, Dragan Šolak, is a person who is an owner of TV channels and news outlets who are actually fighting for free speech in Serbia and against corrupted government that has ties with organised crime and mafia. So, basically, he's one of the good guys. He is portrayed by state controlled media as a number 1 public enemy, because he's media outlets are exposing a lot of corruption and crime. Don't use sources as Kurir, Blic, Informer, Alo, Serbian Telegraph, Pink, Prva, B92, RTS. These are all big outlets controlled by our government. Dragan's media outlets are N1, Nova and SportKlub. I wish you luck, you are in good hands.

Welcome thanks for the info. 👍🏻

Just now, AlexSerbia said:

This does read like Dragan has just signed up for an account, but it does echo a lot of what I've read online across multiple platforms and heard from friends in the Balkans. Nice to have a conscionable character at the helm - unlike a certain PL club I can name.

11 minutes ago, STEVEADAMS said:

Just perhaps Kat stays around as she genuinely cares for the club as we have been told, also maybe her 20 % keeps her with a say in what happens to her fathers legacy 

Her father's legacy...Why do people bang on about that? Her father's legacy was to her not SFC or the supporters. I'm sure he enjoyed the 13 months of ownership that he had, and we were lucky enough to find someone who had the best intentions for the club, but the investment (for that is what it was) was for his and his daughter's benefit. She cashed in most of that legacy & it proved to be a very good investment by ML. 

6 minutes ago, AlexSerbia said:

Thanks for the info Dragan

Edited by Mattio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Be interesting to see how quickly they get and where the feeder clubs are. 

The Leipzig model is pretty damn good to be honest, if we can emulate that then I'd be very happy. Leipzig are only disliked because of the way they came about in German football basically appearing from nowhere and bypassing the 50+1 rule, how the group actually runs their clubs is pretty good model. 

Maybe we will be a feeder club?