Sport Republic

Dusic

1 hour ago, CanadaSaint said:

One of the biggest opportunities out there for clubs like us comes from the profligacy of the big clubs. They hoover up talent, especially young talent, much of which is very good but not good enough. The transfer fees aren't big but the wages have been a problem for us, especially with the loan swallowing a lot of our viability.

I don't expect big-price transfers but good young talent and older free agents. I'm hoping that Semmen's comment "we're much better placed than we were yesterday" means that the loan gone.

Great Post and with now being linked with Delap and macatee we can accelerate the path of the club. what semmens was alluding to earlier. 

Bringing in young hungry players and selling them for high transfer fees. We've stagnated in doing this for a few years now.

I wonder who the other clubs in the empire may be and whether movement of players between them will be (legally) easier. 
also the ex Brentford Dane is a fan of Moneyball type signings, says Alex Crook on TalkSPORT, but that is more about unlikely players fitting a team scenario than just selling on players for high fees (as he put it), no?

18 minutes ago, DT said:

I wonder who the other clubs in the empire may be and whether movement of players between them will be (legally) easier. 
also the ex Brentford Dane is a fan of Moneyball type signings, says Alex Crook on TalkSPORT, but that is more about unlikely players fitting a team scenario than just selling on players for high fees (as he put it), no?

I’ve always found that journalist/pundits in this country use the term ‘moneyball’ to describe buying players cheap and selling them for profit which isn’t really what Moneyball in baseball is/was about at all. Moneyball is all about finding players who the competition undervalue whilst being willing to let go off players who the competition overvalue, with all of this backed up with stats.

Edited by Mikey88
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

I’ve always found that journalist/pundits in this country use the term ‘moneyball’ to describe buying players cheap and selling them for profit which isn’t really what Moneyball in baseball is/was about at all. Moneyball is all about finding players who the competition undervalue whilst being willing to let go off players who the competition overvalue, with all of this backed up with stats.

Indeed, but it's also about accepting players with flaws if they have strong attributes that work in a team and overall contribute to regular wins. 

Whilst I’m pleased with a lot of the murmurs, I was thinking how do we know that we won’t be operating any differently from that of the Pozzo family who owned Watford/Udinese/Granada?

At heart is not the same concept? 

46 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Was there a chance that this was intended to be announced Friday/Saturday/Sunday before Newcastle game to get the ground buzzing

thank you Gao there have been worse owners & not your fault China changed the rules as soon as you arrived

In agreement with this. As far as absentee landlords go we could have had worse. Gao didn’t invest but he didn’t strip us either. 
I don’t see the hate he receives. He came in and the rules changed. 
Good luck to him. Lets hope this lot are a stable influence and no fly by nights.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

So buying bargains and mugging buyers off. Livramento. Vestergaard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well it certainly feels a lot better than the Goa deal, although given we had to find a loop hole in the rules to let him buy us then it'd be hard not too. It all feels like a very good fit. I'm sure Dragan will be delighted i've given him the Turkish seal of approval.

1 minute ago, mynameisthehulk said:

Trying to read this thread to gauge opinion and seek information but have given up due to it turning into a playground slanging match just like every other one on here. You people are pathetic. 

The general opinion seems to be that of optimism and that the people involved seem very credible as well as those already here staying on. So far so good.

• Like 4

Just now, TWar said:

xG is the lifeblood of our club now. The club is well and truly run by people like me 😂

Can you get some stats based chants going at games soon?

"Ohh Hojbjerg is a wanker, his pass completion's crap, and when we analyse his carries per game he looks a fucking twat."

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Can you get some stats based chants going at games soon?

"Ohh Hojbjerg is a wanker, his pass completion's crap, and when we analyse his carries per game he looks a fucking twat."

A couple dedicated to my Duckhunting friend:

"Ward-Prowse is a legend,
 his pass completions scary,
 he tops out chance creation stats,
 and ain't a mincing fairy"

"Ralph has a higher win rate,
  than Howe who is a phony,
   I've heard that Puel was better,
   but that's a load of pony"

"Tino's running down the right,
 The tackles are in vain,
 He's come to saints to play with Ralph
 This signing was... quite good actually 😉"

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 15

36 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

In agreement with this. As far as absentee landlords go we could have had worse. Gao didn’t invest but he didn’t strip us either. 
I don’t see the hate he receives. He came in and the rules changed. 
Good luck to him. Lets hope this lot are a stable influence and no fly by nights.

No need to hate him. He lost a lot of his money. It proved much worse for him than for us. We got out of it ok. He didn't. He is the loser. Be sorry for him and wish him well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Just wanting to check if this guy has any links to any of the dodgy stuff in that part of the world that happened in the 90s. As I would like to keep my sense of moral superiority vis a vis Newcastle. If that bits good I am ready to get on borad.

He's only 41......born in 1980, i doubt he was running around doing anything massively dodgy in his teens.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

Just wanting to check if this guy has any links to any of the dodgy stuff in that part of the world that happened in the 90s. As I would like to keep my sense of moral superiority vis a vis Newcastle. If that bits good I am ready to get on borad.

He doesn’t like the neo-liberal, pro-EU Progressive Party.

Feels very early to say anything too positive, but a few things are clear to me:

- Gao May have been a disappointment re funding, but at least he didn’t interfere with the management of the club and I feel current management team have done well overall.  Pleased Semmens is staying (for now)

- We were though incredibly reliant (more so than most) on player transfers given no net spend, and it feels like one bad summer could have done for us (it nearly did the year before Ralph)

- FC Michy Land (spell check please) and Brentford have, pound for pound, been two of the most successful clubs in Europe in recent times.  Feels too simple to call it a coincidence 

• Like 7

I'm assuming Sport Republic is a brand new company hence there's little info about them and they don't have a glossy website. Not suggesting this is a bad thing as the guys involved have a lot of credentials which is important plus they have the backing of the Serbian billionaire. This could be the start of an exciting ride as we seem to be their initial investment so they'll be very keen to see that we progress quickly as a football team and as a business. I believe they'll be looking to hit the ground running having planned this venture for a long time. Hopefully we'll be glad they chose us as the corner stone to their ambitions.

• Like 1

Hearing Martin Semmens speak on Solent he is very reassuring. Maybe I'm naive but it feels like he's a good and intelligent bloke who does actually care. Very pleased he, Crocker and Steele are staying.

If he feels this is good for the club then I'm on board. Whilst we could have had a much worse owner than Gao, it feels like SFC has had a millstone removed from round it's neck., but only time will tell.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

You'd like to think we'd make at least one decent signing given the new owners would want to boost morale I'm sure. 

Broja permanent, a decent GK (Henderson my preference, although probably unlikely) and a DCM would do me🤣