Villa v Saints Match Thread

miserableoldgit

Just now, Suhari said:

World class free kick.

Fantastic.

Not many can get it up, over and down from there. What a player we have here! Gone unnoticed for years, so happy for him, he worked so hard to improve in so many areas to be this player. Only sad part is that the vultures are probably circling now,

Hopeless referee, justice for the (lack of) a red card. I’ve not seen him before so no doubt a Championship official usually.

Great half though, it’s like a penalty when we get a free kick these days. Trust us to have to put up with the last few years, and we become pretty decent again when we can’t go. 

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

More direct free kicks than MLT in his career now!

Oh, and we haven’t scored 4 or more goals in a win since beating Everton in the Koeman season...

Can I assume that doesn't include the MLT goals where the ball was rolled to him first (like the Wimbledon one where he flicked it up before smacking it)

And didn't we beat Everton 4-1 in the Pellegrino season, when Unsworth was their manager and they were utterly woeful?

Looks a bit wild out there. Saints 3-0 to the good despite a rather lacklustre performance. Only time Villa look dangerous is when the ref gifts them a free kick. Job now is to keep 11 men on the park in face of some intimidation. And stop giving the ref a chance to award them free kicks.

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

And we had a legitimate goal ruled out too. What a half. Incredible.

When we are all complaining and demoralized at Saints losing games without getting a shot on target, we see games like these. That’s why we put up with those lean spells. Amazing.

Always difficult to tell. If that goal would have counted ...maybe we then would go with 1:1 instead of 0:3 into second half...

Strange to be 3 nil up having not played that well. Just utterly clinical. Scored preety much every time we shot.

Not sure the free kick in the lead up to the vest goal was one but will take it.

2 gorgeous free kicks by JWp, was sure the 2nd was too close.

I think Cash should be considered last man. The rule is silly if you can be last man horizontally like that and deliberately stop a one on one with the keeper like that.

5 minutes ago, Østerrike said:

it was not a clear red. but it was a dark yellow one for sure.

seemed pretty clear to me. Cash got caught under the ball, knew it, so handled to prevent a clear goalscoring chance. That's a red in my book, but then again its hard to keep up with the changing laws of the game. JWP provided the instant justice though.

• Like 1

Must be a long time since we had a positive goal difference.  Not too excited about the table position when we have the early kick-off but here's hoping not all the results go against us.  Still another 45 minutes of nail biting to go but, 'Up the Toon! Come on Brighton!....

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

seemed pretty clear to me. Cash got caught under the ball, knew it, so handled to prevent a clear goalscoring chance. That's a red in my book, but then again its hard to keep up with the changing laws of the game. JWP provided the instant justice though.

agreed

Just now, bpsaint said:

The last man rule was changed in recent years to take into account whether it also stops a goal scoring opportunity which it didn’t, Walcott still had a lot to do if the ball made its way to him so a yellow is fair.

A routine control of the ball and an unimpeded shot inside the box seems pretty straightforward to me... 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

At least PPV games have made looking forward to MotD a thing again!

As things stand, we’re actually in a title battle :lol:

I still wouldn't put money on our game being the first one on MotD.  That's reserved for teams based in London, Manchester and Liverpool.