COVID - Returning to St Mary's

Saint Garrett

3 minutes ago, benjii said:

How’s it fair for some clubs to have no fans and some to have fans?

We are going to be disadvantaged by not being in Tier 3 by having 2,000 moany old gits shouting “get it forward” and whinging.

2000 fans is just a gesture. My understanding is the club will lose more per game than with no fans. Pointless.

6 minutes ago, LGTL said:

It will be absolute rubbish and a bit like a pre season friendly but worse because you can’t even have a few drinks in the pub before and after. Can’t say I’d lose much sleep if I’m not one of the 2000.

I'm opting out until the numbers get bigger

21 minutes ago, LGTL said:

It will be absolute rubbish and a bit like a pre season friendly but worse because you can’t even have a few drinks in the pub before and after. Can’t say I’d lose much sleep if I’m not one of the 2000.

I take it then you will be opting out then and letting someone else who may wish to attend the chance?

2 hours ago, LGTL said:

I tend to have something to eat in pub before come games, so if I was successful in getting a ticket would do the same as normal and just miss out on pint after the game

11 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Should drums, vuvuzelas, trumpets and plastic clappers be encouraged to help generate an atmosphere whilst attendance is limited?

We could rival Pompey fans for rambunctiousness.

They're allowing a full house back in at Fratton Park.........based on the fact that Covid would be too sh*t scared of entering. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, steve green said:

About time Bognor was placed in quarantine 😉

I expect there will be armed milita at the Dorset/Hampshire border to stop us BH mavericks from invading though.

Consider the area we have to travel through to get to a game. 

14 hours ago, Turkish said:

I wouldn’t worry about it it’ll be the corporates and super fans that they let In first anyway. Your regular fan has zero chance of getting in

it isn't.  Being loaded and a prawn sandwich muncher I rang to book a box for the Man City game as it's my Dad's birthday.  There are none for sale at all as they are having to half fill them and the rest of corporate entertainment isn't being opened at all so probably 200 of the 2000 will be corporates.  The other 1800 will be for super-fans

Saints getting ready to allocate tickets, just received this email from club

we’re delighted to confirm that we can finally welcome fans back to St Mary’s, with measures in place to keep you safe. 

With Southampton in tier 2 of the government’s local restriction tier system, the club will be able to allow a maximum of 2,000 supporters into the stadium for our match against Sheffield United on Sunday 13th December.

You previously confirmed that you would like to be considered for selection to attend matches in October and November. To retain the same details and group you may have previously selected for the match against Sheffield United, and further fixtures in December and January, no further action is required. If you wish to amend this, please complete the form using the button below.

On Sky Sports news they were saying that people from Tier 3 areas must not attend matches in Tier 2 due to this clause (the Tier restriction applies to them whichever tier area they are in):

there should be no public attendance at spectator sport or indoor performances

The nearest ones are Bristol area, Slough, Kent and Midlands, could the club use season ticket address postcodes to make sure that fans from those areas are not invited to attend?

On 28/11/2020 at 09:35, macca155 said:

They would be better off playing the game at somewhere like Eastleigh. Still 2000 fans but easier to generate some sort of atmosphere. 2000 at St Mary's will be a bit weird. 20% would be more sensible.

Think the amount is due to social distancing. Doubt you could keep 2000 fans at Eastleigh all 2 metres apart?

54 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Think the amount is due to social distancing. Doubt you could keep 2000 fans at Eastleigh all 2 metres apart?

The regulations say 2,000 or 50% of capacity . What is the normal capacity at Eastleigh? If it is more than 4,000 then it would be allowed and I think it is a good idea. 

On 27/11/2020 at 19:47, M271 said:

On Sky Sports news they were saying that people from Tier 3 areas must not attend matches in Tier 2 due to this clause (the Tier restriction applies to them whichever tier area they are in):

there should be no public attendance at spectator sport or indoor performances

The nearest ones are Bristol area, Slough, Kent and Midlands, could the club use season ticket address postcodes to make sure that fans from those areas are not invited to attend?

I emailed the club as I am in tier 3.  They have confirmed that any supporter with a post code in a tier 3 area at the time of the ballot will be excluded from the ballot for that game.  So does mean that I could be back in tier 2 once the game actually takes place but will have missed out being in the ballot.  

Details announced here:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-12-03/southampton-fc-return-to-st-marys-ballot-for-sheffield-united

With the deadline for Season Ticket holders to confirm whether they would like to attend games at St Mary’s in December and January having passed, the club can now outline the process for selecting which fans will be welcomed back for our fixture against Sheffield United on Sunday 13th December.

The information gathered from Season Ticket holders has allowed the club to be efficient in allocating seats for each game, as well as being able to react to any changes in government guidance or capacity restrictions.

The club has developed the processes to allow fans to return to St Mary’s based on government advice – we are aware that this can change at short notice and will update fans if there are any developments.

You’ll find information below on how the selection process works for each match, the next steps that will be taken by the club, and details of information supporters can expect to receive ahead of the game against Sheffield United.

Return to St Mary's
The Selection Process

The club has listened to views from fan groups regarding the fairest process for selecting which Season Ticket holders* are able to attend reduced capacity games at St Mary’s.

The consensus from these fan groups is that the club should look to recognise the dedication of fans, giving priority to long-standing Season Ticket holders that have attended the majority of matches in recent seasons, both home and away, while also ensuring there is a fair opportunity for all Season Ticket holders, including Seasonal Hospitality guests, to attend games.

Based on this criteria, there will be small groups who will be invited to attend either each home game, or alternate home games, with the remaining tickets available to general admission Season Ticket holders through a ballot of the 10,000 eligible supporters who have confirmed they would like to attend matches.

Following the ballot, general admission Season Ticket holders that are selected to attend the Sheffield United match will then not be considered for selection for upcoming matches in future ballots until all Season Ticket holders that would like to attend matches have done so. This does not apply to the small groups attending either each home game, or alternate home games.

Season Ticket holders that are not selected or have confirmed to the club that they do not wish to be considered for selection shall receive a pro rata refund for the game.

The club will also have a limited number of tickets for our Seasonal Hospitality guests, including tickets that fulfil contractual obligations to our partners.

We would like to thank all of our partners for returning either all or the majority of their tickets to the ballot to enable more Season Ticket holders to attend matches, sharing the club’s view that we should recognise the dedication of our fans.

Return to St Mary's
The allocation of the 2,000 tickets available will therefore be split as follows:

- 80% general admission Season Ticket holders, including:
	- 62 fans that have held their Season Ticket for over six years and attended every match home and away last season
	- 176 fans that have held their Season Ticket for over four years, attending at least 95% of home games and 66% of away games last season
	- 1,319 Season Ticket holders to be selected through the ballot

- 20% Seasonal Hospitality guests and club partners, including:
	- 241 guests that have held their box or lounge tickets for over six years continuously, with remaining spaces selected through a ballot

Refunds for the Manchester United and Sheffield United matches will be completed shortly. If you have already had your refund, this will not affect your chances of being selected for the Sheffield United match. Instead, if you are selected, the refund will be applied to a future fixture. 

The club understands that there will be fans disappointed by missing out on the ballot for each fixture but, after internal discussions and fan consultation, we feel this is the fairest way to proceed under the current capacity restrictions and are doing everything possible to allow for as many fans back St Mary’s as we can.

Return to St Mary's
What happens next?

Those supporters that are successful in the ballot will have their seats allocated and will receive an email with information about their tickets by Tuesday 8th December.

Due to restrictions on which parts of St Mary’s we are able to open, we cannot guarantee that Season Ticket holders will be in their chosen seats, but we will endeavour to assign seats that are at a similar height and proximity to exits where possible.

All Season Ticket holders will receive an email to confirm that the seat assigning process has been completed.

Return to St Mary's
If I am successful, what will I receive? 

Before the match against Sheffield United on Sunday 13th December, Season Ticket holders that are assigned tickets will receive further information about the processes that have been put in place to ensure a safe matchday experience for all fans. This will include:

- Details on how to download your tickets to a mobile device or print your tickets at home before arriving at St Mary’s

- Information on the matchday layout at St Mary’s, including the specific entrance you will need to enter through and your designated entry time

- A Covid-19 questionnaire that is mandatory for all supporters attending to fill out in order to be admitted entry

- A link to the Code of Conduct that all supporters attending must abide by when attending matches at St Mary’s

- Details on what will happen on a matchday and what provisions are in place for supporters

The process for assigning tickets for the game against Manchester City on Saturday 19th December will commence shortly after the Sheffield United match.

We would like to thank our supporters for their continued support, and we look forward to safely welcoming fans back to St Marys.

*Please note, any Season Ticket holders that are registered with a postcode in tier 3 at the time of this or any future ballot will not considered for selection to ensure we adhere with government guidelines.

If Arsenal's decent performance midweek is attributed to fan in the stadium support, then the effect looks to be significant. Of course, Arsenal also had a 'clear the air' and that may have been the reason behind their improved performance.

But I think the home teams may be getting better results. Someone will track the correlation, I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

If Arsenal's decent performance midweek is attributed to fan in the stadium support, then the effect looks to be significant. Of course, Arsenal also had a 'clear the air' and that may have been the reason behind their improved performance.

But I think the home teams may be getting better results. Someone will track the correlation, I'm sure.

Not sure you can read anything into the Arsenal result. They've won all their games in Europe this year, they have a group full of utter dross.

10 minutes ago, angelman said:

Just out of interest, with the return possibly on the horizon, I was wondering....did we ever get our Season Ticket cards posted out? Can't remember, and if so, I've lost mine. 

No, not yet and not likely either. If you are successful in a ballot you will get an email ticket to print at home or possibly wave on your phone.

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No, not yet and not likely either. If you are successful in a ballot you will get an email ticket to print at home or possibly wave on your phone.

Ta. I had presumed something along those lines, but thought better to ask in case I had missed things.....

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 12:40, Whitey Grandad said:

2000 is not worth the bother. 

I’m in two minds about whether I would go. I miss the experience but if the suggestions are right I should be having a vaccine in a month or so and I’d hate to go down gasping just as the war is coming to an end.

Stay away is my advice. The vaccine is so close at hand now so why take any risks. You've come this far on the journey safely so stay the course. We'll be back to something like normal next season and Ralph will still be here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Stay away is my advice. The vaccine is so close at hand now so why take any risks. You've come this far on the journey safely so stay the course. We'll be back to something like normal next season and Ralph will still be here.

Like losing our home games ;)

To be honest that’s probably my view too. At 1300 ticket holders in each ballot it’s going to be eight games or so before any ‘ordinary’ supporter gets a second bite. Of course if we were in Tier 1 there might be twice that many.

I reckon I might get vaccinated before I get to see us play again.

On 29/11/2020 at 10:42, Turkish said:

Can’t wait to get Cory back in the ground to give our lads a lift https://twitter.com/footyfanschants/status/1131277127519805450?s=21

Jesus christ, how bloody embarrassing.  Is there nowhere he can go for help, because he seriously needs it. As one of the countries senior citizens I really do think its time to close down most SM platforms.  What a bloody mess. 

On 05/12/2020 at 19:47, Micky said:

Jesus christ, how bloody embarrassing.  Is there nowhere he can go for help, because he seriously needs it. As one of the countries senior citizens I really do think its time to close down most SM platforms.  What a bloody mess. 

That video is so bad it makes AFTV respectable.... 😱 

12 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Was it 'Tuesday' or 'by Tuesday'?

Those supporters that are successful in the ballot will have their seats allocated and will receive an email with information about their tickets by Tuesday 8th December.

'By'... but people are often sloppy about such details and it may actually mean by the end of Tuesday.

But as said earlier, my view is  that it's a serious risk for anyone at all vulnerable. Never mind how distanced you  might be in the seats,  think how that bloke up the row who can't hold his drink will push past you to go to the gents etc. You'll often be closer than 1m. 

1 hour ago, Ken Tone said:

'By'... but people are often sloppy about such details and it may actually mean by the end of Tuesday.

But as said earlier, my view is  that it's a serious risk for anyone at all vulnerable. Never mind how distanced you  might be in the seats,  think how that bloke up the row who can't hold his drink will push past you to go to the gents etc. You'll often be closer than 1m. 

Not sure anyone is going to be going to the game "hammered" anyway, as the pubs are closed. I think if you're in serious risk, you should be opting out, but the majority will be fine from it.

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

I had an email from the club this afternoon - two tickets for Sunday, but sat in Kingsland Premium when we normally sit in Itchen centre? Anyone else had an email?

Not had an email but everyone is in the Kingsland, they mentioned that during commentary on the U18's game.