Brighton vs Saints build up.

Edmonton Saint

Brighton are not a bad side just lack cutting edge at times. We will need to be on song to win this one. Hopefully Ingsy and Redmond will be available. 8 days recuperation will help as we looked tired today. Stronger bench as well will help us manage games better hopefully. I would bring Ingsy straight back in and drop either Walcott or Djenepo. Armstrong not great at all today but he does suit our system and offers a goal threat. 

Personally, I wouldn't rush Ings back into the starting 11. So, unchanged line up for me but with a much stronger bench...

McCarthy

Bertie

Bednarek

Vestergaard

KWP

JWP

Romeu

Armstrong

Djenepo

Walcott

Adams

Subs: Forster, Stephens, Diallo, Redmond, Ings, Long, Obefemi 

Edited by trousers

Brighton pressed Liverpool very well yesterday, they'll look at the way we squandered the ball time and time again today and fancy their chances at getting in our faces. The AMEX has been a good ground for us over the last few years so hopefully we can continue. Ings on the bench I reckon, we're missing him and Redmond but loads of games in December so no point rushing them back. 

Can't see Ings being ready, maybe outside chance for the bench. No reason to change the team (not that we have many options anyway).

Hopefully Ralph spends the week drilling into our defensive players about getting the ball away cleanly and not being sloppy. We were awful today at sloppy passes out from the back and giving up possession far too easily (KWP, Romeu, Armstrong, Vestegaard especially).

Hopefully Ralph can have a training session for Armstrong, Adams, Djenepo and Walcott where all they do is practice the weight of through balls, reverse passes, cut backs etc. We get into some wonderful positions but often that final ball is under-hit or passed straight to a defender.

• Like 1

Brighton are a decent outfit this season, I don't see them going down. But if we play to our best, we should win, simple as that. They've not won at home yet this season.

• Lost to Everton, Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs,
  • Drawn too many against Palace, WBA, Burnley, Liverpool
  • Won at VIlla and Newcastle.

Think 8 probably pick themselves, (Mccarthy; KWP Bed Vest Bertrand; Rom JWP; Adams ) it's just whether Ings is fully fit, (wouldn't want to rush him if he's not 100% ready) and what we do with Redmond, Armstrong, Walcott and Djenepo.  Arsmtrong has looked a bit leggy in the last few weeks, but they have got a full week now to recover.

COYS

Brighton are a funny side, they look to play with quality between the lines, but they're a bit blunt. Lots of nice passing, but very little impact - and that's born out by the results they've got so far, lots of draws, defeats where they've 'played well' etc.

Fans are getting fidgety with the manager because I think they're seeing it as a tippy tappy approach with no real end product.

It will be a tough game though, we should have more of an end product I'd hope.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

If we're making subs, can we at least chuck N'Lundulu on instead of Long. I don't much care if he's 'ready' or not, he can't be any worse than a complete non-entity.

Long's contributions from the bench are getting a joke now. His lack of goals/assists are well known, but does anyone have an idea of the other stats from his recent appearances: interceptions/tackles/successful passes/chances created? In the last few games, it looks like he's barely touched the ball.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Agreed.  The biggest issue yesterday is we had no impetus from the bench.  Imagine being able to bring on Ings and Redmond on the 60 minute mark, would give us a huge boost.

True, and although I like Armstrong I can't help feeling Covid has taken the edge off his game, although you'd assume the sports science staff would be keeping an eye on his basic health and stats.

But I didn't bother to comment on the match reaction thread as the point had already been made: Long and Cavani..

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

He did come on vs Man Utd yesterday.

He explicitly said instead of Long?

Long is completely spent - he doesn't look like he has a clue what he's supposed to be doing. His substitute appearances now consists of one pointless attempt to close down the keeper within the first minute of coming on (just to show that fabled effort), followed by 10-20 minutes of not even noticing him being on the pitch.

• Like 1

Our 1st half record this season 12 goals scored, 4 conceded. That's tied with Liverpool for best attack and the 2nd best defence behind Spurs.

Our 2nd half record is 7 scored, 12 conceded. That's equal last, tied with West Brom, for most goals conceded in the 2nd half.

Is it a fitness issue because of the press? I think Ralph needs to start using the bench more.

Edited by Ultimatt
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ultimatt said:

Our 1st half record this season 12 goals scored, 4 conceded. That's tied with Liverpool for best attack and the 2nd best defence behind Spurs.

Our 2nd half record is 7 scored, 12 conceded. That's equal last, tied with West Brom, for most goals conceded in the 2nd half.

Is it a fitness issue because of the press? I think Ralph needs to start using the bench more.

I guess it's a fine line between continuing with the current approach and trying something different.

Given we've ended up in 6th place after 10 games, Ralph could argue that as long as our first halves are, on average, good enough to outweigh the down turn in our second halves then it's 'mission accomplished'?

Who's to say that squeezing all the juice out of our best 11 players for as long as possible in any given game doesn't yield as many points as spreading the effort over inferior players in the second half?

Dunno. I'm no sport scientist so will have to pass on casting an informed view on this one. 

4 hours ago, Ultimatt said:

Just playing devil's advocate here a bit, but 10 of those 12 were in 3 games (Spurs, Villa and Man U). The Spurs goals were a result of us playing a high line (too high) and very much an aberration at start of the season, Villa was us simply taking our foot off the gas/Bednarek injury and the Man U goals were to a large extent down to some excellent play by them (pains me to say it), especially by Cavani. That leaves 2 2nd half goals conceded in 7 games. Not sure with this evidence that you can blame it on 2nd half fatigue, or even last 10 minutes fatigue.

Mind you, I don't pretend to have any answers either, you could [possibly argue that the Bednarek injuries have been significant, but its hard to see that many (or any) of the goals against Manu or Spurs could be attributed to Bednarek's absence or struggling.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I would rest Armstrong and bring in Diallo for his first start. Let's see what he can do. One wonders if Armstrong might have Long Covid.

I'd like to see more of Diallo too - and Armstrong is a prime candidate for a "rest".   While the post-Covid might be an issue for him, it's the poor touch, control and easy surrender of possession that concerns me about his performances rather than stamina or full fitness.

13 hours ago, austsaint said:

I'd like to see more of Diallo too - and Armstrong is a prime candidate for a "rest".   While the post-Covid might be an issue for him, it's the poor touch, control and easy surrender of possession that concerns me about his performances rather than stamina or full fitness.

Surely, that's about energy and could well be linked to post virus. I don't think there's anything to worry about Armstrog's skills that a rest can't cure.

Just now, eelpie said:

Surely, that's about energy and could well be linked to post virus. I don't think there's anything to worry about Armstrog's skills that a rest can't cure.

13 hours ago, austsaint said:

I agree, a good time to start Diallo..

On 29/11/2020 at 22:43, verlaine1979 said:

When is Redmond likely to be back? Armstrong has been poor for three games in a row now, giving up possession far too easily and looking leaden-footed.

Any chance we could play with both Redmond and Djenepo when both are fit with Armstrong dropped?

Armstrong did not have his best game v Man U but he was great in the previous match v Newcastle and clinched the win with the 2nd goal !

He has been pivotal to our system this season and seems to be liked by Ralph so I don't really get the criticism he's receiving on this thread !

I'd play him v Brighton in an unchanged team, hopefully with Ingsey and Redders on the bench !!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Armstrong did not have his best game v Man U but he was great in the previous match v Newcastle and clinched the win with the 2nd goal !

He has been pivotal to our system this season and seems to be liked by Ralph so I don't really get the criticism he's receiving on this thread !

I'd play him v Brighton in an unchanged team, hopefully with Ingsey and Redders on the bench !!

He was slack in possession and slow on his feet against Newcastle, but a goal inevitably erases criticism. He's been below par for several games now, and looks like he needs a rest/a rethink.

1 hour ago, verlaine1979 said:

He was slack in possession and slow on his feet against Newcastle, but a goal inevitably erases criticism. He's been below par for several games now, and looks like he needs a rest/a rethink.

Nah, he was good against Newcastle. The goal capped an all round energic/high energy game from him I felt.

But I have to agree that he was poor against Utd.

14 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

I wonder if Brighton having fans back will have any impact. Personally I think we are better without fans, but it seems tonight fans in the stadium is having a positive influence for the home teams around the country.....!

2,000 fans spread out in a 30,000 capacity stadium isn't going to generate much of an atmosphere to influence the game.

Edited by Matthew Le God

On 01/12/2020 at 12:54, Ultimatt said:

Agree with the last bit, apart from the fact that the quality off the bench isn't very good. Swings and roundabouts.... 

12 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

If he had long covid in any meaningful way he wouldn't be playing.

What's in a definition eh? What is known is that some people take a very long time to be restored to full health and fitness after contracting c19. It is not black and white, the term long covid is not defined but used loosely to include a multitude of different recovery trajectories. 

What is clear is that Armstrong has not performed at his highest level since he contracted the virus so it is reasonable to assume a link.

On 30/11/2020 at 11:40, Lighthouse said:

If we're making subs, can we at least chuck N'Lundulu on instead of Long. I don't much care if he's 'ready' or not, he can't be any worse than a complete non-entity.

Totally agree about N'ludulu. he span away from a defender brilliantly two games ago when came on

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

Obviously he hasn’t got long Covid 

According to Chris Witty it seems footballers are prone to a very rare mutated strain now known as Shane Long Covid,  gradual decline in performances is a symptom so something to watch out for here with Stuart Armstrong. 

• Haha 3