Time to Bin VAR

Teddeer

There has obviously been issues with VAR but people have tended to focus on the negative without picking up on the fact that many more good decsions have been made because of it that would otherwise have been missed, particularly marginal offside decisions at big clubs that would never have been called in a million years.

It just needs a bit of refining and it will be fine.

• Like 1

Even Antonio admitted on Monday night football that he no longer celebrates goals as he got fed up with them being reviewed then disallowed , going to be the same with fans, the end of spontaneous scenes of joy in the stand as the ball hits the back of the net provides an overwhelming case to end VAR now. 

• Like 4

I think the use of VAR in the Champions league shows up our officials, to be honest.

The games flow, stuff is checked but it's over and done with fairly quickly. The ref in the game last night even went to have a look at the screen, but decided within a second and it was done.

They just take so much time in this country. There were offside calls in the games tonight but not once did I see them pull out the lines and all that stuff.

It really is operated by an absolute bunch of idiots in this country.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think the use of VAR in the Champions league shows up our officials, to be honest.

The games flow, stuff is checked but it's over and done with fairly quickly. The ref in the game last night even went to have a look at the screen, but decided within a second and it was done.

They just take so much time in this country. There were offside calls in the games tonight but not once did I see them pull out the lines and all that stuff.

It really is operated by an absolute bunch of idiots in this country.

This sums it up.

• Like 1

I'm still in favour of VAR in general, but the implementation of it here really hasn't been good. Part of me wonders if referees just don't like that it's been brought in here and are trying to torpedo it.

Random thought I just had... as long as VAR remains in its current format, it'll be virtually impossible for anyone to even have a chance of getting near Mané's record for fastest hat-trick.

Great example of VAR lunacy in Burnley v Leeds game. Ref awards Leeds a a corner then there is a VAR check for a penalty. It shows no pen but also clearly a goal kick. However, because VAR cannot adjudicate on corners, the corner given in error stands.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Great example of VAR lunacy in Burnley v Leeds game. Ref awards Leeds a a corner then there is a VAR check for a penalty. It shows no pen but also clearly a goal kick. However, because VAR cannot adjudicate on corners, the corner given in error stands.

I am no fan of VAR but they have to draw a line somewhere so that doesn’t sound like lunacy to me 

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Peter Walton explained why it’s not handball, it wasn’t immediately part of the build up to the goal therefore not given. Flaky rule but there it is.

It could have hardly been a more direct route to goal the ball took.

I think that VAR have looked at it, thought “**** we can’t disallow a goal like that in a final” and bottled it, made a different decision to what they’d make in any other game.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pedantic Pete said:

All this VAR is rubbish stuff, has just been wiped out IMO.. It was all worth it to see that Chelsea goal ruled out!

You really wanted Leicester to win with cockheads like Vardy, Maddison and Schmeichel. Cant like them at all

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

You really wanted Leicester to win with cockheads like Vardy, Maddison and Schmeichel. Cant like them at all

I would rather anyone win than one of the "big 6".. Don't forget it was a few short weeks ago that Chelsea were looking to rip football up as we know it so that a Leicester or Southampton could never win a trophy again!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pedantic Pete said:

I would rather anyone win than one of the "big 6".. Don't forget it was a few short weeks ago that Chelsea were looking to rip football up as we know it so that a Leicester or Southampton could never win a trophy again!

Very well said.

• Like 1

Imagine having owners like that celebrating and hugging like one of the lads. If we had turned up in the semi ..could have been us ! Maybe one day if we get the right owner ..I reckon it will happen ..our location alone has to be there with best in uk . The Solent ..iow .. the new forest ..come on mr United Arab Emirates  .. take a punt on us ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Think all the pens yesterday given to Utd and Leicester were a bit dodgy, especially Vardy holding the Spurs defenders arm before throwing him self to the ground then Utds one where he took a step after the touch on him and then decided to fall over.

Edit : Villas was a shocking decision to.

Edited by skintsaint

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Think all the pens yesterday given to Utd and Leicester were a bit dodgy, especially Vardy holding the Spurs defenders arm before throwing him self to the ground then Utds one where he took a step after the touch on him and then decided to fall over.

Edit : Villas was a shocking decision to.

Yes, they were awful. For the United one you could hardly claim that he was tripped if he could take a few more steps before throwing himself to the ground. It seems these days that if a player feels a touch they will throw themselves to the ground screaming in agony and rolling over a few times just to make sure that the referee hasn’t missed it. Maybe clutching some part of their body that was nowhere near the contact too.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it will be very interesting how VAR is handled at the Euros. They used it at the World Cup I think and it was okay but a bit slow, and then much better at the women's world cup the next year. Every other country seems to manage it fine.

• 2 weeks later...

The poor standard of refereeing in the Premier League has been highlighted by the Euros - so far we have seen nothing as mad as the decisions that baffle everyone a couple of times a week in England.

I'm sure some ref will make a name for himself before the final (hopefully not one of the Premier League ones) but the general standard so far has been much higher than here, on the pitch and with VAR. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rallyboy said:

The poor standard of refereeing in the Premier League has been highlighted by the Euros - so far we have seen nothing as mad as the decisions that baffle everyone a couple of times a week in England.

I'm sure some ref will make a name for himself before the final (hopefully not one of the Premier League ones) but the general standard so far has been much higher than here, on the pitch and with VAR. 

They also dont seem to take too much in the way of play acting rolling around ,like the grass has injured them,the sooner that the refs book divers the sooner i think it will stop and we can get back to football being a bit more physical again and, not oh my god he brushed my ankle. 

53 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

They also dont seem to take too much in the way of play acting rolling around ,like the grass has injured them,the sooner that the refs book divers the sooner i think it will stop and we can get back to football being a bit more physical again and, not oh my god he brushed my ankle. 

Makes it a bit of a problem for Grealish given falling over at the slightest touch is one of the major strings to his bow.

3 hours ago, rallyboy said:

On the one hand, you would hope a major international tournament would have a higher standard of refereeing than a domestic league. But on the other hand, it's the richest league in the world and we still have the stupid rule that only British refs can work in the PL/EFL, which has always seemed ludicrous to me. We have the best players and managers in the world, but limit our pool of refs to what, a few hundred refs in the country?

• 1 year later...

Shambolic yesterday. VVD such an obvious red. Mendy ‘foul’ was bollocks. Palace push a player into their keeper and get a foul on keeper to rule out goal.

all could be missed in real time but fuck me these twats are reviewing and still getting so wrong. Waste of fucking time when such incompetence in refereeing pool

Edited by whelk
  • Like 4

It had a nightmare of a day yesterday for sure, any surprise though given Dean is still involved?

The problem is not with VAR at all, the tech is there and is useful, it's the people who are using it. Absolutley inept.

I go back to the example from the CL and the Euro's, in the main VAR just happened and you didn't really notice it. Only in this country do they manage to make such a meal out of it.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It had a nightmare of a day yesterday for sure, any surprise though given Dean is still involved?

The problem is not with VAR at all, the tech is there and is useful, it's the people who are using it. Absolutley inept.

I go back to the example from the CL and the Euro's, in the main VAR just happened and you didn't really notice it. Only in this country do they manage to make such a meal out of it.

Exactly. I read a quote on it yesterday; VAR is absolutely fine, it’s the AR part of it that’s a massive problem in this country.

Lee flipping Mason and Mike Dean are on it, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it’s shit. And it’ll get no better with them, imagine being a young AR and those are your mentors.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Exactly. I read a quote on it yesterday; VAR is absolutely fine, it’s the AR part of it that’s a massive problem in this country.

Lee flipping Mason and Mike Dean are on it, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that it’s shit. And it’ll get no better with them, imagine being a young AR and those are your mentors.

The clear answer is to take referees off VAR and have people specially trained to use it who have no relationship with referees. One of my beefs is why isn't VAR used for things that can really affect a game like corners and yellow cards? If the card for Diallo was reviewed yesterday it would surely have been reversed.

Just now, Kenilworthy said:

One of my beefs is why isn't VAR used for things that can really affect a game like corners and yellow cards? If the card for Diallo was reviewed yesterday it would surely have been reversed.

I think that would just make it even more murky. VAR should be used for game-changing clear errors, penalties, disallowed goals, offside goals, foul play etc. That's what it's there for.

If you start bringing it in for yellow cards and corners then you'll end up with 20 mins stoppage time and painful viewing.

Half of the problem with VAR at the moment is the way the 'pro's meddle in decisions which aren't clear and obvious, which brings in an element of opinion from the referee's running it - and if it's clear and obvious it shouldn't be based on opinions, it should be clear to all. West Ham's goal yesterday for example, they shouldn't have got involved and should have let the on field referee to stand by his judgement. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I’ve always been in favour of VAR and still am. But we have to get rid of the clowns running it. Surely ex pro players would be better ones to be on the monitor.

Shearer didn’t think the VVD was a red. ‘Having played the game’ is a bs argument and half the players are clueless. Imagine Clinton Morrison and Paul Merson deciding?

Just now, whelk said:

Shearer didn’t think the VVD was a red. ‘Having played the game’ is a bs argument and half the players are clueless. Imagine Clinton Morrison and Paul Merson deciding?

Officials are probably the right people to run it given their supposed understanding of the game and the laws, ex players would bring too much emotion into it.

But sadly all of our officials are inept, so we're a bit stuck. I see people calling for ex players and even impartial non-football people, but this is just going to make it worse imo. 

Can we steal some of the European officials for our VAR? We seem to be using our VAR as a a retirement home for failed referees.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, warsash saint said:

When you have 2 of the worst former refs of Lee Mason & Mike Dean in charge of VAR what hope is there??!!

Hit. Nail. Head. The only way football will have full integrity in the PL - on the pitch at least - is to remove the likes of Mason, Dean, Riley (retired last year from PGMOL) from the officials system altogether including VAR. Gillett recently the first PL referee from Australia and decent so far, this is the way to go, and build around younger referees gaining experience like Michael Oliver. The technology isn’t the issue, English refereeing (as Scotland better during my lifetime) has been very poor in my lifetime overall and it’s introduction has made this so obvious it can’t be brushed under the carpet any longer. Howard Webb can’t sort it all out on his own. 

• Like 2

Time to bin incompetent, biased officals like Mike Dean and Lee Mason. It's not good enough just suspending them for one match and letting them return yet again to cause more problems:

"Dean will not be in charge of VAR for the next round of Premier League fixtures after being given the weekend off following the controversial events at Chelsea. The 54-year-old retired from on-field refereeing at the end of last season but has remained involved with the Premier League as a VAR."

The Premier League brings in the best players from the rest of the world so why not bring in the best referees as well?  As a bonus, they are less likely to be biased for or against particular teams. There have to be better officials out there than Dean and Mason so why not replace them? 

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I’ve always been in favour of VAR and still am. But we have to get rid of the clowns running it. Surely ex pro players would be better ones to be on the monitor.

Genuine question here, Why do you think ex pro’s would be any better. You could end up having people like Sol Campbell and Dwight York who is question their sanity. Then you have the good old equality act, so you’ll end up having a bird in there, whom mostly are absolutely clueless, like that idiot liane Saunders or whatever her name is. The most annoying thing I’ve ever come across. 

The issue here is the pure incompetence of POGMOL and the clowns running it. Refs have absolutely no accountably, don’t need to answer their mistakes and generally are massively protected. 

The standard is way beyond, below average. I don’t know how that improves to be honest, but it needs to start at grass roots and getting younger, better players involved. Fast tracking the good ones. 

VAR isn’t the issue, it’s the morons controlling it. Worth saying that without VAR, none of the issues from yesterday would have changed…