Takumi Minamino

Lighthouse

2 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

I suspect Liverpool only got Minamino in order to shift some shirts in Asia, I'm not overly surprised they were prepared to loan him out.

More the attractive release fee from Salzburg £7m or so, which at the time struggled to buy you a decent Championship midfielder. The marketing angle won’t have hurt but remember he’d already hurt Liverpool in the CL in the games against them. Decent loan for Saints with Theo out for a few weeks, Adams and Danny a bit off tune, and Redmond has been poor this year. Big rest of the season for Nathan, needs to sharpen up and get back to the form and focus of early on in Ralph’s time. A bit of genuine competition helped Oriol with Diallo so hoping same again.

Whoever gave Long a two year extension needs a rocket though. Waste of ££ when the club is skint.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SaintTex said:

yeah, my apologies, i fouled that all up. Miramino played in Austria, not Germany.

There was nothing wrong with what you said. Takumi has spent 6 seasons playing in the Bundesliga, in Ralph's home country. Ralph would certainly have known about him there. You've only compromised yourself since by mentioning Germany. The attempt at pedantry was a dismal failure. 😊

Edited by VectisSaint
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Suhari said:

So: will he influence the performance of our other attacking players, and lead to more directness in one-on-ones.

Or will he learn the nifty trick of checking back inside and passing back to the CBs?

Hopefully he’ll actually see the runs Danny makes and pass the thing to him 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Looks promising shame Liverpool denied the option to buy 

That's not to say they wont. I'd say we have a reasonable chance, assuming he plays well but not exceptionally for us. There's quite a big space for him to slot into between, "better than Redmond/Tella/Walcott" and, "wont get a game ahead of Mane/Salah/AOC." If he fits in there and we offer them a modest profit on the £7.5m they paid for him, who knows.

15 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Klopp is saying he loaned him out as Liverpool were short of tall players for defending set pieces and he would probably get a lot of game time with Saints. He’s hoping  he comes back up to speed so no thought of selling at the moment.

Sounds like he’s expecting Minamino to return from this loan having grown taller. 😀

Come on the Japanese Messi - lets see some goals for Newscastle

My optimism radar is going off big time for this 7th wonder of the world, Mianmino is going to be an absolute beast for us.

It makes complete sense he will be nothing short of a success as we dont have an option to buy so fate determines he's going to be awesome and therefore we would not be able to afford him at the end of his loan.

17 games of goals goals goals coming up, he's already in the fantasy team.

Edited by Convict Colony

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

He's not super prolific going by his goal record, around a 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 maybe level, but I'd take that if we could get 5 goals out of him and a couple of assists. 

Please let me dream 

I Hope Please GIF

Also youtube highlights are never wrong - Red Bull career

Edited by Convict Colony

Dean is a disgrace. Just watched Ralph's pre-Newcastle video and they showed the clip at the end of the match. Ralph fist pumps the officials and when he does so with Dean the twat hasn't even got the courage to look at him let alone look him in the eye. Fuming at this lack of respect.

Maybe the tiniest bit of good news from today. I thought he looked decent in the first half, he was making good runs into space and his goal was excellent - again, a good run into space, a great touch and an even better finish. 

Second half he lost his way a little, he hasn't played a great deal for Liverpool so fitness may have come into it, but I also don't understand how we were trying to use him when we were against 9 men? He seemed to play as one of the last men - maybe hoping he could pick a through ball? (Although that would have been tricky with two banks of 4 so condensed to each other - the width and stretching of the play was the way through in that game)

But overall a goal on his debut isn't bad at all, looks a tidy little player and certainly a much needed lift for our attacking third.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Hopefully the goal should give him confidence and the start of some form, because Ings, Adams and Redmond are all off form at the moment. The bad luck seems to be impacted Ings, that goal ruled off against Villa and then hitting the inside of the post like that. 

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Maybe the tiniest bit of good news from today. I thought he looked decent in the first half, he was making good runs into space and his goal was excellent - again, a good run into space, a great touch and an even better finish. 

Second half he lost his way a little, he hasn't played a great deal for Liverpool so fitness may have come into it, but I also don't understand how we were trying to use him when we were against 9 men? He seemed to play as one of the last men - maybe hoping he could pick a through ball? (Although that would have been tricky with two banks of 4 so condensed to each other - the width and stretching of the play was the way through in that game)

But overall a goal on his debut isn't bad at all, looks a tidy little player and certainly a much needed lift for our attacking third.

Pretty much as I saw it. Him being the last man was weird. When they were at 9 men he often took up a kind of auxiliary left back position (like Fred was for Man Utd in the week) with Bertrand ahead of him. It was so congested in their box, when he got the ball though he just gave it simple then jogged up to join the attack. It was strange. We needed him to get on the ball where he could do damage, not in defence, but in fairness to him, he was at least trying to get on the ball. 

First half though he looked good, although some sloppy passes but perhaps nerves/rust. The touch, turn of pace and finish for his goal were pure class though.

On the whole he looks a cracking acquisition. With a full weeks training I'm confident he'll make a big difference. 

20 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Japanese Messi came good, think he was knackered from 60mins onwards.

It does beg the question why he wasn't substituted. It was obvious that he wasn't contributing anything in the 2nd half and Djenepo was on the bench, or we could have stuck Vestergaard up front for the final 20-30 minutes of the game (rather than as we did very briefly). 

I read a click bait article last week that indicated that we'd pay less for the loan the more Minamino plays. Probably nonsense, but it will be interesting to see if he plays every match (although not a lot of competition with both Walcott and Armstrong probably out for a while).

Be interesting to see how Ralph plays his cards this weekend, with Redders, Armstrong, Djenepo and Minamino all fit (AFAIK). Which two start, and which two go to the bench?

Personally, I see Armstrong and Minamino as our BEST two, but maybe there's a case for leaving some gems on the bench to play aces late in the game.

Just now, the saint in winchester said:

Be interesting to see how Ralph plays his cards this weekend, with Redders, Armstrong, Djenepo and Minamino all fit (AFAIK). Which two start, and which two go to the bench?

Personally, I see Armstrong and Minamino as our BEST two, but maybe there's a case for leaving some gems on the bench to play aces late in the game.

I'd go with Minamino and Armstrong in the two wide slots. They seem pretty well suited to then coming inside as required and operating as a number 10.

I reckon, if available, Minamino will play every game for us - I think there are some financial incentives to suggest he does (we pay less if he plays games, I think it could end up being a free loan if he plays all our remaining games)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Armstrong and KWP gives us a very solid, intelligent right hand side. I'd play it as much as possible. Bert and Minimino linked up well against Arsenal so makes sense to try them again on the left.

Newcastle not Arsenal and I agree with you too.

19 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd go with Minamino and Armstrong in the two wide slots. They seem pretty well suited to then coming inside as required and operating as a number 10.

I reckon, if available, Minamino will play every game for us - I think there are some financial incentives to suggest he does (we pay less if he plays games, I think it could end up being a free loan if he plays all our remaining games)

I agree with that, those 2 our best 10's, even if Walcott were available.

There's no way Minamino loan would be free though, but I think it probable that we pay a reduced contribution to his wages if he plays. This loan seems to be part a Liverpool player getting half a season playing Premier league football for his/Liverpool's benefit, and part us getting a player to improve our team. 

33 minutes ago, Danbert said:

That sounds extremely implausible

Nah, think it's true.  We'd still be covering all his wages so it wouldn't be free in that regard but the more games he plays the less the loan fee.  Makes sense for Liverpool - the only reason for the loan is for him to get games (and in a team with a similar philosophy and style) so this type of structuring of the fee incentivises us to play him.  Not sure the loan fee goes down to zero but it's probably pretty close to it.

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

Nah, think it's true.  We'd still be covering all his wages so it wouldn't be free in that regard but the more games he plays the less the loan fee.  Makes sense for Liverpool - the only reason for the loan is for him to get games (and in a team with a similar philosophy and style) so this type of structuring of the fee incentivises us to play him.  Not sure the loan fee goes down to zero but it's probably pretty close to it.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

He clearly isn’t match fit, just had two games in a week and hasn’t played much this season. I wasn't sure what his role was was today, seemed to be playing deeper than where I have seen him play before. I think he’ll be very good given some time to settle.

He started well enough, just faded.

Edited by Toussaint

3 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

If you can believe paper talk, he may be going to Sevilla next season in a player swap.

Hmm, interesting. Sevilla have stated they will only offer 10M EUR, so maybe if Sevilla have a player that Liverpool want, that could come about (the player swap).

Do we have a player that Liverpool might want? I'm thinking that Liverpool need a decent CB, and they usually shop with us for their CB (VVD, Lovren) then maybe they would like Wesley Hoedt. Could be a good move for them.

(chuckles into sleeve)

• Like 1