Takumi Minamino

Lighthouse

He's struggled to get a run of games for Liverpool, but he's clearly a talented player.

From his Salzburg days, he's a high energy, counter pressing attacking midfielder/wide player. Pretty much bang on the money in terms of the type of player we like. He will automatically add quality to our attack, no question.

Liverpool fans are a bit mixed about him leaving, they'd have preferred us to have Origi.

• Like 2

I've seen his appearances for Liverpool. If you combined the best bits of Shane Long and Che Adams then you'd get Minamino. He's got a lot of pace and energy, works hard and looks good for 1 goal every 4 or 5 games. Bearing in mind the fact the club has no money, I think they've done well to offload Long and Valery and get Minamino. A good transfer window under the circumstances.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

time will tell.

couldnt get any playing time at Liverpool

Ralph should be very aware of him from his Bundesliga days.

Looked back at his Red Bull Salzburg stats....was expecting a bit more productivity considering Liverpool made a move for him a year ago.

can he plan left or right back?

18 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

How does that work? ..TM never played in Germany.

A decent no10 option till the end of the season. Think RH has seen enough of Redmond/Walcott failing to do much with the ball.

yeah, my apologies, i fouled that all up. Miramino played in Austria, not Germany.

43 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

I've seen his appearances for Liverpool. If you combined the best bits of Shane Long and Che Adams than you'd get Minamino. He's got a lot of pace and energy, works hard and looks good for 1 goal every 4 or 5 games. Bearing in mind the fact the club has no money, I think they've done well to offload Long and Valery and get Minamino. A good transfer window under the circumstances.

Where has he gone? 

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

How does that work? ..TM never played in Germany.

A decent no10 option till the end of the season. Think RH has seen enough of Redmond/Walcott failing to do much with the ball.

To be fair an Austrian manager working in next door Germany would be all over the Austrian league. Just like a Scottish manager down here would be well aware of what's going on up there.

Klopps words for him after playing Ajax in the champions league ‘he defends like a devil’ so can press and defend (like a devil) so will fit and make an immediate impact ..great piece of work from us..after manure tonight don’t think you’ll see djenepo or redmond starting for us..looking at minamino’s positions for Liverpool and Salzburg he’s prolific from the left wing ..but he can play anywhere in that attacking 3rd ..if he can defend like klipperty says ..then a wing back system would suit too ..anyone know if he’s cup tied ? 

I'm not Japanese (although I'm often mistaken for one) but I'll tell you that the Japanese are utterly professional, they never moan (did we ever hear Yoshida moan, no), have a fantastic work ethic, will do whatever the manager says, and are always willing to learn and to improve. I hope Minamino will be the inspired loan that KWP was.

• Like 4

I think he’s here for his PL development, a mutually beneficial arrangement for both clubs. He should really give us the lift we need. But you never know, he may want to stay, Liverpool may move on, we may find some cash. I’m pretty chuffed about it and will hopefully enjoy the ride.

I watch a lot of Japanese football so followed Mini since his days at Osaka. I always said he’d be a good signing and I actually recommended him in the Transfer window 2016 edition. High energy, lots of running, good touch, eye for goal. He reminded me of that other Japanese’s great Ji Sung Park, let’s hope he has the same impact for us as Ji had at Liverpool. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I watch a lot of Japanese football so followed Mini since his days at Osaka. I always said he’d be a good signing and I actually recommended him in the Transfer window 2016 edition. High energy, lots of running, good touch, eye for goal. He reminded me of that other Japanese’s great Ji Sung Park, let’s hope he has the same impact for us as Ji had at Liverpool. 

Do you know what Winston Smith's job is in Orwell's 1984?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Very happy with this. 

With our 2 #10s, Armstrong has played in a role that is more about balancing the side /  heavy running / exploting space etc. The other #10 is supposed to be making a real impact in the final 3rd - but this season Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott and whoever else have played there have really struggled to do that. It's really blunted our attack at times. Hopefully he can be that player. 

Bit tough getting into the Liverpool squad when Salah - Mane - Bobby the teeth are ahead of you as first choice then the Ox comes in well versed in Premier League football.

If he is like Yoshida was for us, in that he would come in and be notably ring rusty then vanish to the bench more often than not as soon has the player he had covered for had recovered, due to Mayas odd lapse through lack of games. Given a steady run Yoshida would get better and better.

A few players can be likewise without a steady run for 90 mins each week. If you are that type of player at Liverpool, with their embarrassment of riches across the pitch and hungry nippers, then it is a tough gig “to get on stage”. Lukewarm performance due to rustiness and you are back on the bench for weeks and the odd cameo where you just ain’t doing much. 
Klopp obviously saw something to have gone for him (that said he did weirdly go after Caulder a matter of weeks after he had seen him as part of a defence his team rattled 6 past and said player was the stand out cause of our car crash). Given our issues with Theo broken, Djenepo likely to snap at any moment, Armstrong fading in games  - Redmond probably in that fragile category too. Minamino is a good fit across the pitch in those positions, helps us out, and helps Liverpool out as their man most likely gets game time, they can reassess him for their future needs, and if he sparkles with us they can recoup their initial outlay if they choose to unload.

Only time will tell, just got to hope he comes in like Theo did and slot straight in, and not like KWP who looked like a fish up a tree first outings.

As last day of the window goes - most of us have seen he can play and score - so that’s a plus if you factor in the £20m absolute cock up that we ended up just giving away eventually.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Your float nearly went under (in typical Internet forum lack of context “what’s this bloody idiot talking about”) then I saw the hook glinting through the murk of the puddle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Am stoked with this based on his ability to fit straight into the system, his ability to be an inside forward who can actually hit the target and not the stands and his pace.

Expect bench tonight then on later to showboat when we are 4-0 up

Nah, won't be able to be involved tonight - wasn't registered in time.

Prob bench for Newcastle. (or straight in...)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Am stoked with this based on his ability to fit straight into the system, his ability to be an inside forward who can actually hit the target and not the stands and his pace.

Needed to be signed by midday yesterday to be registered in time.

34 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Hopefully he will start on Saturday against Newcastle :)

Was very highly rated before he joined pool, was seen as some sort of top bargain for the fee they got him for because he was starring for Salzburg in the champions league but just doesn't seem to have worked out for him there, tough bunch of players to get ahead of, especially as Klopp despite moaning about too many games and not enough subs, barely actually ever rests Mane or Salah, and they don't pick up many injuries, then Jota came in as well and was on fire immediately so he dropped further down the pecking order.

Hopefully if he does well and I think me might, we have a shout of signing him permanently, by the reports it seems we want an option to buy but pool said no, but if the player settles and does well I can see him pushing for a transfer for more football much like Ings did. Liverpool will attempt to fleece us though so we'll have to see how the finances are holding up, hopefully by the summer we are looking to a full season with fans back and the club can open the purse strings a little. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

I'm not Japanese (although I'm often mistaken for one) but I'll tell you that the Japanese are utterly professional, they never moan (did we ever hear Yoshida moan, no), have a fantastic work ethic, will do whatever the manager says, and are always willing to learn and to improve. I hope Minamino will be the inspired loan that KWP was.

Good post. It's good to see Yoshida is happy in Italy too:

(8) Parma-Sampdoria, Yoshida: «Doppia gioia: primo gol e clean sheet» - YouTube

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cloggy saint said:

I suspect Liverpool only got Minamino in order to shift some shirts in Asia, I'm not overly surprised they were prepared to loan him out.

Apparently he only started the midday kick off games in the league for Liverpool, funnily enough that's prime time viewing in Japan. Make of that what you will 😆

• Like 1