Fraser Forster

washsaint

Big guy deserves his own thread.  So pleased he has come back from the problems he had and wanted to stay and fight for his place at Saints.

He has been excellent since coming back into the side and I swear his vocal nature helps the defence.  Made some excellent saves today to preserve our lead and I like his distribution and the fact he is decisive coming for balls in the box.

So pleased for him - so much better than McCarthy.

Can't believe some muppets were blaming him for Burnley's second goal when it was the awful Bednarek's fault.

Edited by washsaint
  • Like 5

• washsaint changed the title to Fraser Forster
23 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Big guy deserves his own thread.  So pleased he has come back from the problems he had and wanted to stay and fight for his place at Saints.

He has been excellent since coming back into the side and I swear his vocal nature helps the defence.  Made some excellent saves today to preserve our lead and I like his distribution and the fact he is decisive coming for balls in the box.

Can't believe some muppets were blaming him for Burnley's second goal when it was the awful Bednarek's fault.

He was nearly at the half line passing the ball forward at one point - would never have happened in past times. Good to see the confidence return. Nothing he could have done for either goal.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, washsaint said:

So many rumours this that and the other... But one that seemed to stick was that he had a bad breakup with Kenzie Benali or something....

27 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Should have saved it.

I’d be disappointed if he’s not disappointed.

That aside, deserves the number 1 slot for the rest of the season . Let’s get to the end of season then assess when we know who is available and how he’s played week in week out. The juries still out imo. 

19 minutes ago, Red said:

He was nearly at the half line passing the ball forward at one point - would never have happened in past times. Good to see the confidence return. Nothing he could have done for either goal.

Nothing he could have done for either goal except perhaps maybe made a fairly routine save to stop the second one. Pope - for example - would have saved that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Nothing he could have done for either goal except perhaps maybe made a fairly routine save to stop the second one. Pope - for example - would have saved that.

What about the fingertips save to push around the far post, Wood’s curler and various saves in first half?

class keeper

• Like 2

Some of his punches were a little up, rather than away, but he was at least dominant. Little bit nervous when he came running out to meet the ball at one stage, he was lucky there as it lead to a shot - which he saved funnily enough. 

1 hour ago, stknowle said:

Pope did make some very good saves but you could argue he should've stopped Armstrong's goal..

Ideally we would have a new #1 for next season, but doubt we could shift either FF or AMC.

Forster good at reflex stops but still not convinced by him with longer range efforts, nor with the ball at his feet.

Good today at crosses close to him, but still doesnt command for a player of his size.

Looks so much more confident in coming for crosses now which is huge. I know some people were unsure about his punching but at least he was connecting with them rather than missing them entirely, and if they were more up than away that at least gives himself and the defence a moment to set themselves. 

Given our lack of funds and other areas of the squad requiring investment urgently in the summer, I would be fine with him being number 1 next year. McCarthy should be done now - and honestly we should be looking to Harry Lewis to be reserve keeper at his age, so either he's good enough and we shift McCarthy and Gunn or he's not and we let him go. 

14 minutes ago, TWar said:

I think he is fine, but nothing special. Behind our second AM, LB, and potential Ings replacement he is probably our 3rd/4th priority for improvement.

Agreed. For our station in this league, he is about the best we can do.

As far as priorities, Ings replacements is paramount, but we really need to look at the entire defence. 2nd worst in goals allowed in the League. No bueno!

He's obviously worked hard to improve his game and some of the credit should go to the GK coaches for this.

Had a relatively easy ride when he was first brought back in with a number of quiet games and has since pulled off some decent saves although he definitely should have stopped the second goal today.

Kicking is still erratic, and for his size he doesn't command the box enough. Saying that he should keep the shirt for now. 

24 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Agreed. For our station in this league, he is about the best we can do.

As far as priorities, Ings replacements is paramount, but we really need to look at the entire defence. 2nd worst in goals allowed in the League. No bueno!

I don't think we are that bad defensively. Vestergaard is quality and KWP/Bertrand are two of the best defensive fullbacks in the league. Salisu coming through looks quality if a little raw, and Bednarek is a dependable player who is going through a bit of a bad spell. Our goals conceded is dreadful but that is mainly from games where many of the aforementioned weren't fit. Beginning of the season when we had a settled back 4 we were number one for clean sheets and number 4 or so for goals conceded. We need better depth imo, and a better keeper, but between Vestergaard, Salisu, Bednarek I think we are ok at cb and KWP is a great rb.

He’s really improved with the ball at his feet, and really improved with coming off his line. He’s clearly made huge efforts to improve the parts of his game that were weakest, you can’t ask for more than that. He’s not perfect, but he’s worked hard to get better, and it’s really shown. I’m pleased for him. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

He’s really improved with the ball at his feet, and really improved with coming off his line. He’s clearly made huge efforts to improve the parts of his game that were weakest, you can’t ask for more than that. He’s not perfect, but he’s worked hard to get better, and it’s really shown. I’m pleased for him. 

Have to agree.   He certainly uses that big frame of his to block the close range threats... Wood’s late header being a case in point; even if he (FF) did get a bit of help from Bednarek.  Getting down to the low, wide shots still looks his weakness.. but he’s deserved his continuing opportunity.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

So many rumours this that and the other... But one that seemed to stick was that he had a bad breakup with Kenzie Benali or something....

10 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me, that ugly mug. Perhaps there’s hope for me yet....

Haha....knowing my luck I'd probably go to bed with Kenzie Benali and wake up next to Franny Benali.

I thought it was his best game for us for a while , made some decent saves and his kicking / passing was good.

Hard to criticise him for the 2nd goal to be honest , maybe Pope might have saved it but Pope is arguably England’s best keeper .

1 hour ago, IFHP said:

I thought it was his best game for us for a while , made some decent saves and his kicking / passing was good.

Hard to criticise him for the 2nd goal to be honest , maybe Pope might have saved it but Pope is arguably England’s best keeper .

Watch the replay from behind Vydra. Forster takes a leap just as he shoots which means he isn't set properly for the shot.

It's a pretty basic error to be honest. The ball went right where his foot was and therefore it should have been a comfortable save. 

2 hours ago, IFHP said:

Pope probably should have saved Armstrongs but I think both shots were very powerfully hit and were hit early so caught the keepers out, didn't really see much punditry or commentary saying that either was much of a mistake. 

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder whether Fraser will come back in for the next game. I know Ralph alluded to a while ago that McCarthy would get some gametime during the remainder of the season. Alex made a great save last night to help us get a draw. For me though Fraser is our best keeper and should come straight back in for the next one :)

Edited by davefizzy14

13 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

I wonder whether Fraser will come back in for the next game. I know Ralph alluded to a while ago that McCarthy would get some gametime during the remainder of the season. Alex made a great save last night to help us get a draw. For me though Fraser is our best keeper and should come straight back in for the next one :)

Personally I think McCarthy is the better keeper so hope he stays in.

I don’t think that there is much between them so it makes sense to give them both game time for the remainder of the season to give them both a chance to stake a claim for the no. 1 slot next season. Good to see the big man back in contention although I’m not sure how you pick between them as I don’t think that one is hugely better than the other.

40 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I don’t think that there is much between them so it makes sense to give them both game time for the remainder of the season to give them both a chance to stake a claim for the no. 1 slot next season. Good to see the big man back in contention although I’m not sure how you pick between them as I don’t think that one is hugely better than the other.

Both are capable of gaffes. Of the two McCarthy always seems more likely to pull off a decent reflex save, but then undoing it with a 'brain fart' moment.

Would like to think they're competing to remain as a back up only, but given our limited funds that probably won't be the case.

2 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

This sums up the problem with our manager. 
He should know who is better and stick with it, that’s what he is paid for, well, at the moment. 

Not quite. I'd say it pretty much sums up the state of our squad really, especially in the goal keeping department. 3 highly paid goal keepers, signed for decent fees. Each pretty much exactly the same, average. bog standard.

It's toss of a coin who starts, no harm in using these games to see who wants to take it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not quite. I'd say it pretty much sums up the state of our squad really, especially in the goal keeping department. 3 highly paid goal keepers, signed for decent fees. Each pretty much exactly the same, average. bog standard.

It's toss of a coin who starts, no harm in using these games to see who wants to take it.

This. He’s clearly giving both game time until the end of the season and then deciding who to keep for next year.

Both are very average.

2 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

I wonder if he will be offered a new contract next year.....?

Fully deserves one. With a substantial pay rise as well.

(But only if Les makes a return under a new owner).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I think most hit him.

Forster is a shot stopper and that’s it, gets his big frame behind things.

I personally would prefer a new keeper and keep one of these as a back up.

Yep, he stood still for the penalty and it hit him.  He is a far superior keeper to McCarthy and back in form.  Really pleased for the big guy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3