Saints 0-1 Wolves - Match Thread

Lighthouse

5 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Saints 18 shots 6 on target Wolves 4 shots 2 on target ! but 0-1 ?

A shot on target in our case is a tame toe poke that just about has enough pace to beat a snail over 2 yards and trickles into the GK's gloves.

Edited by badgerx16

fuming, we will not score enough to stay up. These draws against other better sides are useless when we get nothing from games like this. Another defeat guaranteed next week and it's not looking good at all. Ralph looked broken at the end, like he has no more to offer. Season over already

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Worst performance of the season by quite some way.

Slow, ponderous, midfield refused to show any bravery on the ball.

Thought prowsey was very poor. Twice in presentable positions to shoot and passed the buck.

Goal we conceded was an embarassing long ball where bednarek was simply outmuscled.

No clue why Ralph decided playing with 10 men(plus long) was a smart idea. Tella who was one of the best players against Sheff Utd completely ignored.

Tella doesn’t get on when they have every player behind the ball. 

pissed off but thought we deserved a least a goal. JWP very annoying just seemed to take the wrong option time after time. 

on we go to Chelsea - perhaps they’ll have an off day. 😳

Redmond was Redmond. Plays like a terrified nipper rather than a senior player in the side.

Che isn't stepping up.

Armstrong still adapting

And can someone explain to me why we are playing Elyounoussi? He was deemed not good enough and sent off on loan. Suddenly he is back and starting matches, yet I haven't seen anything that makes me think he has improved. He is slow both physically and decision-making. I don't even know how technically good he is. Whenever he strikes the ball, like in the first half, there is no oomph behind it.

Until we get improvement in these four positions, we ain't going anywhere. They need to take responsibility 

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 1

We don’t have the players to beat teams we need to break down - our no 10s are not creative and we have no finishers. Still think we will just about stay up as we are an ok team at defending and breaking. What do people expect when you sell your top goal scorer and talisman  ?? (Not blaming anyone for that but it’s a fact). More worrying is Long back in the first team and one injury away from a totally unknown cb in Lyanco. Worried about JWP though - our only other genuine PL quality player doesn’t look right.

i dont get the hype re JWP, the amount of free kicks and corners he takes and rarely does he find our player, although when you have dwarfism in the frontline it is difficult. The whole Wolves team look far more athletic than ours. As for bednarek what a pathetic attempt it was his ball

Sooooo predictable - called it. Wolves smash and grab with a punt up the park. If we can keep fit and not lose confidence we will be fine...but some serious questions. Long? Seriously? You just know the media will be all the Raul Jimenez story (and good for him) but that was not the story of the game - their goalkeeper won them that match.

Edited by Vancouver Saint

Not saying they won't get better but at the moment we have two strikers in Adams and Armstrong that simply aren't going to get enough goals, which means midfield and defensive players need to contribute more.  We should have bought proven players at this level not future projects 

Once we went behind we seemed completely clueless. Before we looked the better side and just clueless in the final 3rd. 

I’m very worried about our strikers, we need a premier league striker. JWP is not on form at all.

It’s a strange one because after the 0-0 at City which we should and could have won, today was way under par considering. Man City in their last 5 home games have scored 5/5/6/6 with our 0-0. Very strange. 

Edited by Dr Who?

I’ve seen some frustrating games down the years but that was right up there. 
This was a really important one, the first game of the season you’d put in the should win category. Epic fail as the kids say, all the good work picking up unexpected points undone by not picking up expected ones. 
Creativity isn’t there, Ely better than previously but still not actually good, Djenepo headless chicken that tries hard, Redmond……….It’s all too slow and lacking zip and ingenuity.

It's all very nice getting a point from the Man City and Man U games but matches against Wolves and the teams around us are the ones we must win. Weak goal kick from McCarthy right near the end, it didn't even reach the half-way line. Poor performance all round not helped for me by having to watch the manager sat with his head in his hands . Said it all, really.

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Not sure about that - maybe Norwich are but don't think there are worst teams than us apart from them.

The idea that we are better than Leeds is frankly ludicrous. I'd agree we are probably only a touch better than Norwich but wouldn't have money on us to beat them currently

Ok, lessons learned...

KWP is not a LB. Ralph is obviously only playing him ahead of Perraud to placate him due to being miffed at losing his place to an 18yo. Clearly we can't drop Tino, but he was much more creative on the wing today than our actual winger, who was Elyounonymous. 

Redmond has had more than enough chances and will never, ever get better. Djenepo was so much better when he came on. Ok he loses the ball a fair bit but he's always trying to make something happen rather than dithering in the way Redmond does, and actually manages to get in behind occasionally.

Play KWP and Tino on the right, and Perraud and Djenepo on the left, and we will cause teams much more problems than we did today.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, DT said:

The idea that we are better than Leeds is frankly ludicrous. I'd agree we are probably only a touch better than Norwich but wouldn't have money on us to beat them currently

They lost at home to West Ham and we didn't...

We'll see next month I guess. But yes, I'd say we're better than Leeds

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Come on. Get a grip. We were poor today but Norwich have lost 16 EPL matches in a row. I'd hate to see what you you would be saying if we did that. We will rightfully be heavy favourites to beat them

Edited by sydney_saint

2 minutes ago, DT said:

I personally think we are clearly better than Norwich. Possibly better than Newcastle and Burnley too. Otherwise it's very close. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

When available the attacking part of our team should be:

Armstrong romeu jwp djenepo 

Broja Armstrong 

And maybe livramento on the right if appropriate. Without some changes we won't do anything else. 

I'd swap Adams with Broja. But yes agreed, Armstrong and Djenepo our most creative midfielders

Just now, Pamplemousse said:

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

they have a manager. we have a bloke in too-tight trousers

6 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Anyone know when Stuart Armstrong is back? It's quite obvious we miss him. He makes us tick going forward.

Think there is more to his absence than an injury. I suspect we received an offer for him, he wanted to go but wasn't allowed to. Now we have this long term injury smoke screen with nobody willing to tell us what the problem is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Pamplemousse said:

Yeah fair enough. My view is they are both here for the long term so we need to try and make it work. Think Broja was fairly anonymous when he came on though.

I'd start him and give him a chance to see what he can do. Adams and Armstrong together aren't working and what Ralph will do is persist without making changes until late on like he has done consistently since he's been here. I like the bloke but it's getting to the point where you really have to question some of actions. 

We say that we don’t have enough quality players and that is true. But watching that other team of red and white stripes suggests you don’t need outstanding players you just need unlimited energy determination and enthusiasm and above all a coach who knows what he is doing. 
Bee inspired!

John

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Think there is more to his absence than an injury. I suspect we received an offer for him, he wanted to go but wasn't allowed to. Now we have this long term injury smoke screen with nobody willing to tell us what the problem is.

He seemed to be friendly with Danny Ings, so I suspect there might be something in this. At the very least, I bet he was disappointed when Danny left.

Wolves looked unfit and were fucking shit and we didn’t even lay a glove on them. Aside from Tino’s snap shot, the rest of the on target “efforts” were muffed shots that trundled slowly through to the keeper. 

I think what worries me most was that when chasing the game Tella was not tried and RH decided that Shane “goals goals goals” Long was the answer.

Very worrying times.

• Like 1

Just now, Lone ranger said:

We say that we don’t have enough quality players and that is true. But watching that other team of red and white stripes suggests you don’t need outstanding players you just need unlimited energy determination and enthusiasm and above all a coach who knows what he is doing. 
Bee inspired!

John

Don't underestimate the quality of Brentford's players. Every time I watch them they look to have decent options all over the pitch. They are far more than just energy, determination and enthusiasm.

2 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

Please sack Ralph, thank you.

And get who?  Club has been decaying for 5 years and desperately needs investment.  Semmens was bullish about it in May and nothing has happened.  I don't care who you have in charge the Premier League is a rich mans playground and we're the equivalent of the homeless man who sells off his most valuable item of clothing each year just to make sure he can live.

It's not the 1-0 home defeats against Wolves that are the problem, its the fact we go backwards every summer which mean we get closer and closer to relegation.

• Like 2

That was a game bereft of any quality really. It was harem-scarem for large parts as both sides kept giving the ball away, no one had control of the game at any stage and it was just turn over after turn over with blanks being fired.

Both sides got into decent positions, but we looked toothless when we did.

Adams is Adams, a hard worker but incredibly limited in a technical sense. Armstrong looks like he's struggling a little with the pace of the game and the strength of the CB’s, he makes good movements but his touch and decision making isn't there at the moment. There are goals in him though, as long as the supporting players actually turn up…

But the number 10's for me are the problem. Hopeless, absolutely hopeless, every single one of them. Moussa, Elyonoussi, Redmond, just regurgitated garbage and whilst they're our options then we will struggle to break anyone down. As has been the issue since every one of them have been at this club. Their decision making is beyond awful everytime they get the ball, it's baffling how they've made it to this level.

Bednarek for the goal was disgusting, absolutely diabolical defending and he has to be stronger than that. I have no idea what's happened to him. He was never amazing, but he was reliable, these days he is just a walking error.

Felt a bit lopsided with KWP left, with him having to cut in all the time. I still want us to find a way to get Tino and KWP on the same side.

Overall, though, the inevitable has happened. We've sold our only source of goals; the sole reason we've stayed up for the last couple of years. We've replaced him with a young player from the championship who is going to take time. And thus we’re struggling to score goals because the rest of the attack is shit and aren’t stepping up, as we all expected really.

A win today would have made this a decent start, but the defeat has turned this into an awful start. It's getting into the realms of a psychological block if we keep going on like this. If we get through Leeds, Burnley, and Watford still without a win then we are staring at the inevitable I hate to say. So, let’s see where we are after 10.

• Like 14

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic