Saints 0-1 Wolves - Match Thread

Lighthouse

If we had more of a goal threat I'd be expecting to win, but wouldn't surprise me if this is 0-0 until the hour, then anything could happen.

An early goal would make a big difference IMO.

Macca;  Tino Bednarek Salisu KWP; Romeu JWP; Elyounoussi Adams Armstrong Tella

Players in bold are the only ones up for negotiation really.  Perraud, Redmond and Djenepo the obvious candidates.  I'd like to see Tella given a chance though.

I think most of the team picks itself. Only real question marks are LB and the 10's:

GK - McCarthy (I know many prefer FF, but won't be dropped him after 2 clean sheets)

RB - Tino

CBs - Bednarek and Salisu

LB - KWP or Perraud

CMs - JWP and Romeu

AMs - 2 of Redmond, Djenepo, Moi and Tella (obviously add Stu A and Theo if fit)

FWDs - Arma and Adams

Personally think he will go with KWP at LB, with Moi and Redmond as the AMs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

If we had more of a goal threat I'd be expecting to win, but wouldn't surprise me if this is 0-0 until the hour, then anything could happen.

An early goal would make a big difference IMO.

Macca;  Tino Bednarek Salisu KWP; Romeu JWP; Elyounoussi Adams Armstrong Tella

Players in bold are the only ones up for negotiation really.  Perraud, Redmond and Djenepo the obvious candidates.  I'd like to see Tella given a chance though.

HaHa. You posted this as I was typing more or less the same. Great minds and all that.

I would also like to see Tella given the start ahead of Redmond, but suspect Redders was taken off last night with Sunday in mind. In which case, I would hope Tella will get at least 20-30 mins at the end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Were the last 2 matches at St Mary’s against them the ones where we started well and then completely blew it? 

Yes painful viewing, throwing it away, last year weren't they awarded a lucky pen and it went downhill from there. 

As usual thousands of home end seats still available for this game, Wolves have sold out 3,337, great following from them for a Sunday lunchtime 

My first game in ages wahoooooo! Taking the Norwich supporting wife so she can watch a Premier League team for a change. 😈😈😈🤪

Really think we can win here. Two goal shy sides suggest a dull 0-0 but get the team right and we CAN win!

Hoping for the 4222 with 2 strikers. 

McCarthy, Tino, Bednarek, Salisu, Perraud/KWP, JWP, Romeu, Elyounoussi, Redmond, Adams, Armstrong. 

57 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Several changes for Wolves tonight. But a strong bench. Spuds to score early. 

Early injury to a Wolves defender and Spurs are winning comfortably,  Wolves just seem really out of sorts at the moment which worries me. 

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Yes painful viewing, throwing it away, last year weren't they awarded a lucky pen and it went downhill from there. 

As usual thousands of home end seats still available for this game, Wolves have sold out 3,337, great following from them for a Sunday lunchtime 

Terrible handball decision against Bertrand, was smashed at him from 3 yards away. That being said, we were pretty poor second half if I remember.

We need a win here, points against City, United, WHU will mean little if we cant beat the likes of Wolves at home. They were well beaten by Brentford last time out.

McCarthy

Tino     Bednarek  Salisu  KWP

Tella     Romeu   JWP   Redmond

Armstrong  Adams

Would like to see S Armstrong back involved if hes ready, though will likely be from the bench. 

2-1 Saints. Armstrong and Redmond

Nothing less than 3 points for me.  Need to get a win on the board quickly now, not just for the points, but confidence as well.   After the way we imploded last season I worry that we won't show a lot of fight if things do start to go wrong. If we can get points from City and Utd, we've got to get our first win against Wolves.

I wonder if he will play KWP at LB, and Perraud just ahead of him.  That would be great against Traore. And if he Switches sides, move KWP to RB, Perraud to LB, the No 10 on the right over to the left, and Tino to R sided No10.  Easy all this in game management business.

JWP will need to be sticking close to Neves also, he is a real threat. Is Neto injured, he always plays well against us, think he got the equaliser int he league game at their pitch last season.

That will get the tongues a’wagging, all this nonsense about Tino ahead of KWP on the right 😉

22/1 Saints HT, Wolves FT. Doesn’t that always happen or is my memory being selective? Covid disruption has scrambled my memory of results but remember 2-0 up and Traore having storming 2nd half

Edited by whelk

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I wonder if he will play KWP at LB, and Perraud just ahead of him.  That would be great against Traore. And if he Switches sides, move KWP to RB, Perraud to LB, the No 10 on the right over to the left, and Tino to R sided No10.  Easy all this in game management business.

JWP will need to be sticking close to Neves also, he is a real threat. Is Neto injured, he always plays well against us, think he got the equaliser int he league game at their pitch last season.

That will get the tongues a’wagging, all this nonsense about Tino ahead of KWP on the right 😉

I'm a KWP fan, but he isn't the biggest player physically, so putting him against Traore would worry me. That's what I like about Tino, he has the size and physicality to supplement his other skills. Perraud is a little more sturdy than KWP, but he is still small, so neither are particularly ideal again the speed and strength of Traore.   Not sure that there is a simple solution; Traore is a unique footballer - but he does have off days ..... 

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 12:13, Lighthouse said:

Live on Sky Sports for this one. Time to make good on our promising play and turn it into a decent win, for a change.

Hear, bloody Hear!

Knowing us though and our usual relationship with live TV we will have 80% of the ball and lose 0-1

Obviously a blow having Stephens out (never thought I'd be saying that) but hopefully Bednarek & Salisu can work together and keep our recent defensive form going. Worry is that they are both left sided CBs.

Is this the time he pushes Livramento forward and includes KWP at RB? Must be worth a shot surely? Can't see Broja starting after his less than convincing run-out on Tuesday but Tella surely must partner with Armstrong up top.

We should not obsess about Traore as long as Oriol & JWP perhaps also with Livramento boss the midfield and stop the supply lines to him. Let him run around like a headless chicken.

McCarthy

KWP  Bednarek  Salisu  Perraud

Romeu

Livramento  JWP  Djenepo

Tella  Armstrong

Edited by Charlie Wayman

1 minute ago, Minsk said:

He did. CW just showing his usual knowledge of Saints players. Not quite as bad as his comment about Salisu being to slow though.

Yeah, thought he did. I usually take Charlie's comments with a huge dose of salt. I mean, Salisu being slow! I did wonder if he meant slow, or if he got the wrong person.

• Like 2

This feels like a BIG GAME psychologically (for both players and supporters) despite it only being September.

- A win will validate the thought that we have been playing well to start the season, despite just 4 points from 5 matches. Optimism will abound.

- A loss will have everyone questioning whether we are just as bad (if not worse) as the other dross in the league. Relegation talk grows.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

This feels like a BIG GAME psychologically (for both players and supporters) despite it only being September.

- A win will validate the thought that we have been playing well to start the season, despite just 4 points from 5 matches. Optimism will abound.

- A loss will have everyone questioning whether we are just as bad (if not worse) as the other dross in the league. Relegation talk grows.

What about a draw? 😉

Edited by saint1977

Sky Sports: 

Jones - I’m yet to truly get a handle on both these two teams, which is proving problematic for prediction and betting purposes. Having backed Southampton for relegation in the summer, I've been surprised with their performance levels that should have amounted to more than the four draws they have picked up.

Can they get that elusive first win here? Well, the markets can't split these two. And I'm thinking along the same lines. I do think Wolves will finish considerably higher than Saints come the end of the campaign but their current conversion rate in front of goal makes them impossible to fancy.

Wolves have struggled for goals with just two in the Premier League this season - an own goal by Watford's Francisco Sierralta and a goal from a yard out by Hee-Chan Hwang in the 2-0 win at Watford. This is despite attempting the third highest amount of shots this season, behind only Manchester City and Liverpool.

Wolves also have the highest expected goals figure this season (9.2) to back up their shots data. The difference of -7.2 between goals scored and expected goals is the biggest negative difference in the Premier League. If they start taking these big chances, then an opposition team is in trouble. I don't think it'll start happening here though. A fifth consecutive draw for Southampton has to be the play.

SCORE PREDICTION: 1-1

————————————————————-

BBC Sport:

Lawro - I was impressed by Southampton in their draw at Manchester City last week. They haven't won yet, but they are not a team that looks like they are in any kind of trouble.

That's why I'm backing Saints to get that first victory here. Wolves have lost four of their first five league games and, although I don't see them struggling for long either, they don't look as strong as they did a couple of seasons ago.

Lawro's prediction: 2-1

Friction's prediction -  I think this game is the hardest out of the 10 to predict. I was tempted to go for a 0-0 but Saints might edge it. They did look good against Manchester City last week. 1-0

We've played much better than I expected at the beginning of the season and our four points could/should easily have been more. We looked a proper team against Man City. If we can keep the energy and confidence level up at home we can win this. On the other hand, I've watched Wolves games and they have been ridiculously unlucky not to have got more points as well - they have the highest expected goals ratio in the league apparently...so some poor mug is going to get that game when they start converting their chances.

You know where this is going.

Hope I'm wrong.

On 22/09/2021 at 18:32, JRM said:

Both games they got controversial key decisions in their favour. I seem to remember a foul in the build up to one of their goals the season before that let them back into the game.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2021 at 18:40, adriansfc said:

Wolves really were awful last weekend. I can't see them playing that badly again, but their attack is really poor. Mark a slightly cautious Jiminez well and it doesn't even matter if you let Traore cross. 

This was my thinking this morning also.  Traore is difficult to contain but it's more important to use our energy keeping Raul at close quarters.  

Watch Traore get a brace now I've said that.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-1 Wolves - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic