Norwich 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

1 minute ago, eurosaint said:

Billy Gilmour was great for Scotland tonight so I hope that Norwich continue to leave him on the bench 😀 although with a new manager I’m sure he’ll be given a chance…

Dont think we need to be worrying about Billy Gilmour, we barely gave his compatriot McGinn a kick in the last game and hes a better player. In fact if we play semi decent we dont need to worry about any Norwich players. There will be a natural lift in the Norwich workrate with players keen to impress a new manager, but will take a while for Smith to get his ideas/tactics in place

41 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Billy Gilmour was great for Scotland tonight so I hope that Norwich continue to leave him on the bench 😀 although with a new manager I’m sure he’ll be given a chance…

So was Che Adams. Think he'll give them more problems than Gilmour will give us.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Dont think we need to be worrying about Billy Gilmour, we barely gave his compatriot McGinn a kick in the last game and hes a better player.

Disagree personally. Gilmour is raw but has promise and a tonne of skill. Mcginn is bang average. 

Hope Gilmore stays benched, he, Rashica and Pukki could all pose a little threat. Still rate us to win comfortably though. 

10 hours ago, TWar said:

Disagree personally. Gilmour is raw but has promise and a tonne of skill. Mcginn is bang average. 

Hope Gilmore stays benched, he, Rashica and Pukki could all pose a little threat. Still rate us to win comfortably though. 

McGinn wasn’t great against us but he is a lot more than ‘bang average’. He was superb for Scotland last night !!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TWar said:

Think I'll hold off on rating us to win comfortably until we know how many players we could be missing. Are Saints back at the training ground yet or still working from home? 

JWP, Redmond, Livramento, Broja could be doubts? 

Just now, JRM said:

Think I'll hold off on rating us to win comfortably until we know how many players we could be missing. Are Saints back at the training ground yet or still working from home? 

JWP, Redmond, Livramento, Broja could be doubts? 

It would suck if those four were out but our depth is as of a sufficient quality that their replacements are actually really good.

Macca

KWP Bednarek Salisu Perraud

Diallo Romeu

Stu Elyounoussi

Adams Armstrong

In fact, we have members of our fanbase who have believed at various times this season than Diallo is good enough to displace JWP, KWP should be back in at RB, Redmond should be dropped for Stu, and Armstrong/Adams should be our first choice pairing (I believe this now). That's a massive mark of our quality in depth imo.

• Like 3

Something similar happened back in the old 1st Division in November 1968, although in a slightly different context. Bill McGarry walked out on Ipswich Town to take the vacant position at Wolves. His last fixture @ Ipswich on 16/11/68 was an 0-0 draw away at Man U and his first fixture @ Wolves was a 2-0 defeat also at Old Trafford on 30/11/68. However there was actually another fixture between these two so that they weren't consecutive fixtures, but McGarry hadn't actually taken over at Wolves for that intermediate fixture.

36 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Lee Mason on VAR.

Definitely gonna put a few quid on there being a red card in the match. It's like printing money.

I do check on the whereabouts of mr mason and Dean . Mason doesn't seem to run around the pitch these days,too many wrong decisions maybe?............so put him on VAR duty thatll do .

We might get a fair crack from Mason as my online abuse case isn't due in court till late next week! (lol joke obviously)

But I hasten to add, if I was as incompetent as he, in any of the jobs I've ever had, I wouldn't just resign, I'd return my wages. 

This guy is stealing a living. And the fact he's still working tells me what the real problem is. 

• Like 1

Form matters and we are in form.

Norwich will be out to impress their new boss but he can't work miracles in a week especially in an international break week with key players away. Unlikely he will put up the shutters at home as the home fans would crucify him for not being more adventurous so could be an open game that suits us better.

Smith worked out how to nullify our threat in the second half last time out so will have that card up his sleeve from the start. For that reason Ralph might elect to go with different formation at the start just to confuse Smith and try to force him into an early unsettling tactical change. We could then see a different game after about 30 minutes.

First half goals are important to us even if there is time for only one. I think we will win the tactical battle just about and head home with a 2-1 victory especially with the 3A's finding some form.

22 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

I do check on the whereabouts of mr mason and Dean . Mason doesn't seem to run around the pitch these days,too many wrong decisions maybe?............so put him on VAR duty thatll do .

He's retired from refereeing but is still doing VAR. After the Villa/Man United game debacles with us and then the West Brom v Brighton free-kick goal incident he should be nowhere near the Premier League. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LiberalCommunist said:

We are going to have a strong bench! 

I love this concept of squad depth we have newly discovered.

22 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Fixed it for you! :toppa:

It is certainly a change in strategy from two years ago...

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17383445.southampton-manager-ralph-hasenhuttl-wants-much-smaller-squad/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Doesn’t seem it to me. Article says he wants an 18-20 man squad with youngsters who’ll come in and out. Current squad, by my reckoning, has 19 with 6 who I would deem as the in and out youngsters. I think we just have a bit more competition about the squad

5 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

Doesn’t seem it to me. Article says he wants an 18-20 man squad with youngsters who’ll come in and out. Current squad, by my reckoning, has 19 with 6 who I would deem as the in and out youngsters. I think we just have a bit more competition about the squad

Seems the only way managers can keep discipline these days.

2 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

First trip to Carrow Road and hoping for a comfortable win (yeah right).

For those who have been before can you recommend any decent parking spots for a quick getaway? Don't mind a bit of a walk.

There is a car park right next to the ground. Don't use it unless you don't mind waiting an hour or so.

But you knew that already. 

2 hours ago, EssEffCee said:

First trip to Carrow Road and hoping for a comfortable win (yeah right).

For those who have been before can you recommend any decent parking spots for a quick getaway? Don't mind a bit of a walk.

Fairly sure I parked at Norfolk County Hall. Assuming it's the place I'm thinking of, it's not too far of a wander down from there - but right on the A-road, so allows for a fairly swift escape.

On 16/11/2021 at 09:18, eurosaint said:

McGinn wasn’t great against us but he is a lot more than ‘bang average’. He was superb for Scotland last night !!

I think you’ll find he was suspended so wasn’t even on the pitch

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

So Dean Smith has had the perfect scouting mission for this game. He went as far as to say he has a advantage. Ralph is armed with this information, so should he change our approach for this game? I'd say not. Start this with high energy tactics, on the front foot, same as the last few games & the pressure will firmly be on them to come up with an answer to it. My only real concern is we dominate and not take our chances. But, we've got to stick to our game plan. We are creating chances, we do look organised in defence, we've just got to maximise the energy levels once again. What would be bloody lovely, is having a two goal lead around the 60 min mark so we could make some changes, without handing out an incentive to Norwich. 

But, as a wise man once said. We got this.............

Macca

tino            Bedders       Salisu       Kwp     

Jwp                Romeu 

redmond                            S Armstrong    

Adams

A Armstrong 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

So Dean Smith has had the perfect scouting mission for this game. He went as far as to say he has a advantage. Ralph is armed with this information, so should he change our approach for this game? I'd say not. Start this with high energy tactics, on the front foot, same as the last few games & the pressure will firmly be on them to come up with an answer to it. My only real concern is we dominate and not take our chances. But, we've got to stick to our game plan. We are creating chances, we do look organised in defence, we've just got to maximise the energy levels once again. What would be bloody lovely, is having a two goal lead around the 60 min mark so we could make some changes, without handing out an incentive to Norwich. 

But, as a wise man once said. We got this.............

It feels like we’ve battered Dean Smith’s Villa every time we’ve played them, footballing wise - Even the 1-0 defeat last year we were robbed and we dominated the game. Not sure Smith had learned anything from playing Ralph in the past…

30 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

It feels like we’ve battered Dean Smith’s Villa every time we’ve played them, footballing wise - Even the 1-0 defeat last year we were robbed and we dominated the game. Not sure Smith had learned anything from playing Ralph in the past…

This

play our game and we win.

First goal will be huge. Think Norwich will be up for this and put high energy in to impress their new manager - hopefully we will more than match them and not be complacent. If we score first...then...add a second (yes, I know we don't do insurance goals)...I reckon that will be enough to put them back in their box.

There's a very, very slim chance that we could move into a Euro qualifying spot this weekend.

According to rough probabilities assigned from the bookies' odds and my maths, we've got about a one in two hundred chance of us winning and the teams above us up to Brighton all losing (or drawing up to the Spuds) with allowances for where we need goal difference improvements better than two goals, which would move us to seventh.

We could go 6th if we win by 4 and Man Utd get beaten by Watford, but that's got to be about ten thousand to one!

I can't be bothered to do the combinatorial maths with the variable probabilities, because it's a pain in the ass and the probabilities are far too rough to bother, but reasonably educated finger in the air I'd reckon there's about a one in four chance of us being top half next week.

Even if we lose, we're unlikely to drop more than a spot; Brentford would go above us by beating Newcastle, but Leeds need to beat Spurs and turn round a 5 goal difference deficit.

My predictions would be us to win and Leicester, Everton and Wolves to lose, moving us to 10. 

Tottenham and Brighton could struggle too - Gerrard might give Villa the boost against Brighton we hope Norwich don't get, and Spurs' form is so terrible that a draw with even Watford wouldn't be a huge shock.

It's rather a large range of possible positions for us - 6th to 15th - after 12 games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

Mate of mine is looking for a ticket for tomorrow if anyone hears of anything - cheers. 

Probably too late  but I've now got a spare. Would be meet at ground just before k.o.

Now sold

Edited by John D
Sold

• Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic