Norwich 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

12 minutes ago, IFHP said:

I wonder if the Brentford fans were as confident as beating Norwich as most on here seem to be ?

Is it a crime to be confident of beating a team that until yesterday had went on a run of 20 Premier League games without a win?

What do you want the consesus to be here? Norwich are absolutely amazing, better than us and we're going to get annihilated?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IFHP said:

I wonder if the Brentford fans were as confident as beating Norwich as most on here seem to be ?

They might have been, but Brentford are dropping like a stone and had lost their last 3 games going into this one. Their defending for Norwich's first goal was pathetic, and I doubt even Bednarek would be stupid enough to attempt the tackle that led to the penalty for their second. 

Norwich may have got the first win monkey off their backs, and might have a new manager bounce going into our game in 2 weeks, but I've not seen anything from them that would suggest they are likely to trouble our defence or beat our press.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Is it a crime to be confident of beating a team that until yesterday had went on a run of 20 Premier League games without a win?

What do you want the consesus to be here? Norwich are absolutely amazing, better than us and we're going to get annihilated?

They must have had a bit about them to have won the Championship with 97 points last season though, I've seen us struggle so many times in games like this  some posts on here feel a bit complacent.  Depending on new manager appt I'd expect Norwich to raise their game, a draw wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 00:04, Red said:

Hope that Daniel Farke gag by Gary Line-acker doesn't get him in hot water with the very PC BBC or viewers - personally thought it was very funny but then I've had a few beers tonight

I had a chuckle at that too. If you must have Farke as a surname you must expect a few remarks. 😁

The sort of game that we should win comfortably but will struggle to score in. Can’t see this being more than 0-1, with even the remote possibility that they throw away the progress and concede a couple of goals to lose despite dominating. Would love to see us put an opposing team like Norwich to the sword though and come away with a 0-4 or 5.

Hmmm. Before the new manager thing I'd have said 0-3 or 1-4. Now I'm less certain. Let's see who comes back fit from the international break (with the chorus on this - waaaay too many bloody international breaks at the moment - not interested).

Last game against Villa was revealing. Armstrong way off the pace. Livramento had his worst game by a mile - let's hope it was just a temporary blip. We missed Redmond's creativity whatever the Redmond-haters on here think. JWP...works hard but putting every corner into the 6-yard box is becoming predictable for opposition goalies (they've even rehearsed the quick boot up the park to take on Bednarek). KWP is good, Lyanco looks promising, Salisu a beast, Romeu a beast (but needs a fast, creative midfield counterpart..Dialio arguably better than JWP in this respect) A Amstrong looking sharp, Adams a grafter with an occasional worldlie in him but needs to score more, Broja a proper No. 10 and the most threatening of all I reckon. Elynoussi putting himself about a bit more, but I kinda feel is interchangeable with Djenepo. Feel / hope Walcott has one last hurrah run of goals and great form to give us.

So it's more even than it should be. If we score first we should win, but if they do the crowd there are going to be right behind them and it will be much closer than it should be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Hmmm. Before the new manager thing I'd have said 0-3 or 1-4. Now I'm less certain. Let's see who comes back fit from the international break (with the chorus on this - waaaay too many bloody international breaks at the moment - not interested).

Last game against Villa was revealing. Armstrong way off the pace. Livramento had his worst game by a mile - let's hope it was just a temporary blip. We missed Redmond's creativity whatever the Redmond-haters on here think. JWP...works hard but putting every corner into the 6-yard box is becoming predictable for opposition goalies (they've even rehearsed the quick boot up the park to take on Bednarek). KWP is good, Lyanco looks promising, Salisu a beast, Romeu a beast (but needs a fast, creative midfield counterpart..Dialio arguably better than JWP in this respect) A Amstrong looking sharp, Adams a grafter with an occasional worldlie in him but needs to score more, Broja a proper No. 10 and the most threatening of all I reckon. Elynoussi putting himself about a bit more, but I kinda feel is interchangeable with Djenepo. Feel / hope Walcott has one last hurrah run of goals and great form to give us.

So it's more even than it should be. If we score first we should win, but if they do the crowd there are going to be right behind them and it will be much closer than it should be.

It will be especially interesting if their new manager is Ralph Hassenhuttl,  wonder if Norwich put him on their short list as an attempt to unsettle our camp just before the fixture. 

6 hours ago, JRM said:

It will be especially interesting if their new manager is Ralph Hassenhuttl,  wonder if Norwich put him on their short list as an attempt to unsettle our camp just before the fixture. 

Certainly an odd choice to stick in the press, unless Hasenhuttl is wangling for some more assurances and his agent is putting some pressure on the board but flaunting his name out there.  Thats both the Villa and Norwich jobs he's been linked with...

I don't think this will be an easy game, and it never would have been, because we struggle to score goals.  We can't just rely on scoring worldies every week.

Should be a good game hopefully, that we can nick 1-0.  Going to be a long day out if nothing else....!

Edited by Saint Garrett

4 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Certainly an odd choice to stick in the press, unless Hasenhuttl is wanging for some more assurances and his agent is putting some pressure on the board but flaunting his name out there.  Thats both the Villa and Norwich jobs he's been linked with...

I don't think this will be an easy game, and it never would have been, because we struggle to score goals.  We can't just rely on scoring worldies every week.

Should be a good game hopefully, that we can nick 1-0.  Going to be a long day out if nothing else....!

Ralph has been no more linked to the Norwich job than I have. It’s just lazy clickbait ‘journalism’ by the usual suspects. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Very good but Broja a No.10? More like a No.9 - traditional Centre Forward.

4 minutes ago, WokingSaint said:

Very good but Broja a No.10? More like a No.9 - traditional Centre Forward.

Of our three strikers, I would have though AA would be the most likely as one of the two "wide 10s" (I feel this needs a new name), as he's good running with the ball.  Che is more a tradition number 10 in the drop deep, good at holding on to the ball and playing to runners.  Completely agree Broja is an out and out number 9.

16 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

JWP...works hard but putting every corner into the 6-yard box is becoming predictable for opposition goalies (they've even rehearsed the quick boot up the park to take on Bednarek).

Agree with this.  It was refreshing having Redmond take a few corners recently.  Much more unpredictable and not easy to defend against.  I think we should be mixing it up more.  

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich vs Saints - Sat. 20th 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

Given that JWP played on Friday yet withdrew from the England squad on Monday (I think), I wonder if Ralph's 'work from home' directive for this week is an attempt to prevent any further possible spread through the squad? This assumes, of course that JWP does indeed have Covid.

10 hours ago, CamSaint said:

Given that JWP played on Friday yet withdrew from the England squad on Monday (I think), I wonder if Ralph's 'work from home' directive for this week is an attempt to prevent any further possible spread through the squad? This assumes, of course that JWP does indeed have Covid.

He could just have this...

I'm a bit uneasy about the complacency/over confidence about this game. Although our general play has been good this season, we don't score nearly enough goals to warrant being too confident of winning any match.

Norwich will have their tails up on the back of their first win and a new manager in place, this just feels like the kind of game we f up. Yes it would be nice to hammer someone but I'd take another 1-0 win all day and keep the momentum going. Think it will be tight either way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I'm a bit uneasy about the complacency/over confidence about this game. Although our general play has been good this season, we don't score nearly enough goals to warrant being too confident of winning any match.

Norwich will have their tails up on the back of their first win and a new manager in place, this just feels like the kind of game we f up. Yes it would be nice to hammer someone but I'd take another 1-0 win all day and keep the momentum going. Think it will be tight either way.

As long as the players are not complacent/over confident we’ll be fine. What a load of fans say on a forum is totally irrelevant to that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I'll leave my prediction until I see who they put in charge. 

But I have to say, I feel sorry for Farke. The new guy might get them more organised, but he won't suddenly get 20% more effort. 

Farke will get another job and do well, there will be no shortage of suitors.

Another Nigel Adkins story, just falling short at the highest level although to be fair was Nigel ever given a fair chance at the PL?

Granted his replacement was rather special and took us to another level even if it took red hot coals to ignite them!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

He was having a poor game before that, just gone off the boil a little plus other clubs are getting wise to his style of play. A little bit stale mentally needs a bit of R & R.

Not really, he has been excellent pretty much every game. In the villa game we had a lot of luck up the left so he attacked less and KWP attacked more. But defensively he was a rock.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SaintTex said:

interesting stat.

first 3 matches - 6 goals allowed - avg. 2 GA a match

last 8 matches - 6 goals allowed - avg. 0.75 GA a match

yes, i would love to see us scoring more, but shoring up our defense has been the key to our good form as of late.

5 clean sheets in our first 11 games is exceptional!  Especially considering how awful our defence was last season.

56 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

5 clean sheets in our first 11 games is exceptional!  Especially considering how awful our defence was last season.

Only Chelsea, City and Liverpool have conceded fewer than us in the PL this season. That's a quite astonishing turnaround from the calamity defending we saw at times last season. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Also interesting that we have 4 clean sheets in the 7 games that Bednarek has played, so I wonder whether Stephens would get back into the team if fit for the Norwich match?

38 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Only Chelsea, City and Liverpool have conceded fewer than us in the PL this season. That's a quite astonishing turnaround from the calamity defending we saw at times last season. 

Completely agree. The settling in of Salisu, the upturn in Macca's form, the addition of Tino/Perraud, and Ralph's willingness to change things when it's not going well for us, (start of 2nd half vs Villa the prime example), all have a big influence on that. In addition to Romeu being back to full fitness, we all know how important Romeu is to us.

• Like 1

We should win this with a good margin, according to league tables, but we do sound over-confident on here, and we often underperform against weak teams.

Norwaucj are also encouraged by recent efforts.  

Banana skin?

I think there may be an early shock.  1-1 , Stewey saving our blushes.

On 11/11/2021 at 09:09, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't think the impact of loosing vestergard and bertrand, and replacing them with Salisu and a fit and fast left back, can be understated... plus also having a full squad of players.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, eelpie said:

We should win this with a good margin, according to league tables, but we do sound over-confident on here, and we often underperform against weak teams.

Norwaucj are also encouraged by recent efforts.  

Banana skin?

I think there may be an early shock.  1-1 , Stewey saving our blushes.

Agreed. They'll be galvanised by their win and perhaps Lampard. When all is seemingly lost it often frees up teams to go all out. Hope we can negate that

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Sky Sports now reporting that it's between Smith and Lampard but "neither is sure they want it".  The fact they clearly didn't have anyone lined up makes the decision to get rid of Farke after a win all the more bizarre.

He was going before the Brentford game.  The win just gives any new manager a glimpse of a chance

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Sky Sports now reporting that it's between Smith and Lampard but "neither is sure they want it".  The fact they clearly didn't have anyone lined up makes the decision to get rid of Farke after a win all the more bizarre.

If I was a Norwich fan I’m not sure I’d be overly happy about those comments 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Norwich 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic