Something we can ALL agree on

benjii

Salisu's long throws are a massive bag of pony  

113 members have voted

1. 1. …

• I agree
    • I disagree

58 minutes ago, Suhari said:

You want long and flat; long and loopy is no good. Nor is loopy Long for that matter, but that's another story.

Salisu is medium and loopy. I'm not even sure that's a thing.

Funnily enough given your post, the only way Salisus throws would work is if Long was on the pitch and was trying to flick them on as he's able to regularly outjump most players.

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Funnily enough given your post, the only way Salisus throws would work is if Long was on the pitch and was trying to flick them on as he's able to regularly outjump most players.

Ahh.

Medium-loopy-loopy-Long-flicky. You might be onto something.

11 minutes ago, TWar said:

I don't rate long throws in general to be honest. I think they very rarely work and I suspect just popping it to someone and building works better.

Go back to the time we had Delap for evidence of that. Didn't we only ever score 1 goal from his throws?

On the flip side Dave Challinor used to get Tranmere quite a few. I was at Fratton in the away end when he launched one from near the halfway line to get Tranmere a completely undeserved last minute winner.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Cat said:

Go back to the time we had Delap for evidence of that. Didn't we only ever score 1 goal from his throws?

On the flip side Dave Challinor used to get Tranmere quite a few. I was at Fratton in the away end when he launched one from near the halfway line to get Tranmere a completely undeserved last minute winner.

I remember one away match where the Advertising hoardings were all moved towards the touchline to negate Delap's run up for his throw ins !

12 hours ago, The Cat said:

They're not even that long. No idea why we are bothering with them.

It started at Watford and the bloke behind me pointed out 

A) they are not that long 

B)  he's one of the few tall players we have who could get on the end of a long throw so why would you use him to take it and 

C ) almost every time it resulted in an attack for the other team with Salisu out of position 

• Like 1

We given that they have only really been used this season - I can’t see what the issue is. As mentioned already our throw ins have been pretty crap over the years,  almost - “Oh. right lads just before we have lunch quick sesh of throw ins”. 
Rory Delaps throw ins were crap when he played here - only when he got to Stoke did someone manage to get them finessed.

1 hour ago, John Boy Saint said:

We given that they have only really been used this season - I can’t see what the issue is. As mentioned already our throw ins have been pretty crap over the years,  almost - “Oh. right lads just before we have lunch quick sesh of throw ins”. 
Rory Delaps throw ins were crap when he played here - only when he got to Stoke did someone manage to get them finessed.

You can’t see what the issue is? That our best header and defender is out of position leaving a big gap for a breakaway by taking waste of time not long throw-ins?

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

You can’t see what the issue is? That our best header and defender is out of position leaving a big gap for a breakaway by taking waste of time not long throw-ins?

Yeah I get that - but on the flip side you can’t deny our thrown in general are woeful - just needs working on to make it a smarter play. The other player with a big throw is Bednarek, so you might find that they feel Salisu taking the long throw over Jan because he has greater pace to recover if the play in the oppos box breaks down.

The fact that we're nitpicking our long throws shows how much improvement we've made on the rest of the pitch! FWIW I rarely notice throw in takers, but what I do think Salisu needs to work on is his back passes. They were often poor and we're lucky McCarthy had the foresight to read them and come out. One of those could cost us one day if he's not careful.

There was a marginal gains story I saw recently when Wimbledon employed a substitute coach to make sure the subs were warming up properly before they were needed, as they could potentially be the match winner if called upon. He says these marginal gains can help win football matches, and commented that the 3 players that missed the penalties in the Euro final had barely warmed up when they entered the field of play, which could have affected them mentally. Also Liverpool employed a throw in coach to make the most of them. I'm not saying that Saints should do either of these per se, but you'd think we'd practise anything that could potentially make a difference on match day. Maybe JWP's corners could be looked at as, short corners aside, the ones he plants into the box are quite 'samey', unlike the recent unpredictability of Redmond's, one of which we scored from.

• Like 1

The good thing about this is that when the Saintsweb intelligentsia (aka the "glad I was proven wrong in hindsight" brigade) criticise something, you can bet your bottom dollar that said thing being criticised will come good in due course... ergo, my money's on a Salisu throw-in assist Vs Norwich.... ;)

#banterparty 

Edited by trousers

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Yeah I get that - but on the flip side you can’t deny our thrown in general are woeful - just needs working on to make it a smarter play. The other player with a big throw is Bednarek, so you might find that they feel Salisu taking the long throw over Jan because he has greater pace to recover if the play in the oppos box breaks down.

Problem I had with it was we were 1 up and didn’t need him to take one in last 5 and risk anything like we did.

If he needs to take one when we are winning comfortably then great his job is defence and he is bloody good at it no need for him to leave his position when it tight

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The throws were hilariously bad last night. 

Not sure why we bother, it offers nothing. Might as well do a short throw to the corner flag and at least play for a corner or something.

I'm not sure what Salisu shows in training, but i've seen nothing in game that suggests he should go out of position to produce a throw in that achieves nothing.

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It's not even a long throw, it barely makes the penalty area, where it usually get cleared by a defender. Seriously, why do we persist with this it's pathetically bad

The commentators on BT even picked up on this last night. No idea why we keep trying. 🤦🏻‍♂️

19 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

The commentators on BT even picked up on this last night. No idea why we keep trying. 🤦🏻‍♂️

The first throw or so, Nigel Spackman (I think) was talking up Salisu's big throw - clearly never seen it before, and just talking up the moment given it is strange that your CB takes a long attacking throw.

Soon after, you could tell Spackman was puzzled why on earth it was still happening.

🤣

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The first throw or so, Nigel Spackman (I think) was talking up Salisu's big throw - clearly never seen it before, and just talking up the moment given it is strange that your CB takes a long attacking throw.

Soon after, you could tell Spackman was puzzled why on earth it was still happening.

🤣

Would it be fair to say our XG from Salisus throw ins are 0?

It is rediculous in the extreme that our one reasonable defender gets 40 yds out of position to take a not particularly good throw, especially when we are not that good defensively. We are awful at throw ins. It's almost that nobody except the full backs or Salisu are allowed to take them. The theory seems to be let the opponents get ten outfield players goal side and tight marking before we take the throw and then mostly gift it to the opponents.

IMO the nearest player should grab the ball and throw it forward if possible to the nearest unmarked player as quickly as possible. Otherwise down the line and try and force another throw. 

Edited by derry
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, rooney said:

The more he practices and  takes, the better he will become. Just like JWP with his free kicks.

Practise on the training ground then, not by giving the ball away every time on a match. At least JWPs free kicks made the goal, Salisu “long” throw in hardly make the penalty area 

On 06/11/2021 at 23:02, TWar said:

I don't rate long throws in general to be honest. I think they very rarely work and I suspect just popping it to someone and building works better.

Just like JWP corners, how many "set pieces" does he actually take that cause an issue?...........................very bloody few ,yet its the same old

boring commentators thing to drag up................if there's anyone you'd have a set piece delivery its him,errrrrrrr no he doesn't cause any problems with them otherwise

wed be scoring from them more often than EVER?

• 2 weeks later...