Liverpool 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

2 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Other quality debate aside, McCarthy is the most timid indecisive terrified keeper I've seen play in the top flight. He doesn't have the personality for it. 

He consistently looks and plays like he's only in goal because he was picked last. 

another going after McCarthy for no reason at all. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Instant Classic said:

Not even sure who could come in for Ralph even if I did want him out...BFS is the only available manager I'd take.

Lampard - No thank you. He's still not done anything of note as a manager and he's trying to rebuild his managerial career to get back to the top so he'd probably be off as soon as a slightly bigger job comes calling. 

The available managers list is considerably bigger than the two of Lampard and Allardyce. Why have you limited it to just them?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Crazy formation. 

There is no midfield protecting the back 3 , Livramento doesn't have a clue about his defensive position. Just awful.

Switch to a back four FFS and try and keep the goal difference in single digits. 

At least the 3 up front has caused more problems than last week, but that is not saying much. 

And Broja is more like the Albanian Shane Long today, LOOK ALONG THE F ING LINE !   

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Still on

Just lulling them into a false sense of security. All part of the plan.

I'm at a fucking freezing Sholing watching a so far very drab 0-0 Southern League game. Should have gone to Anfield instead to see our epic comeback draw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_Tony said:

wow 3 strikers starting away at Anfield, don't know what to make of that, could be inspired by Ralph or an absolute disaster

Disaster it is then. I can see the idea, attack best form of defense. But not against this rampant Liverpool team. I hope one of the strikers is replaced by KWP at half time, and try to keep it below 6. 

2 minutes ago, Nick75Sfc said:

If the radio is anything to go by this is as bad in performance as the two 9-0 .. the one thing I dont understand is why we don't reshape, change the formation, its clearly not working. Is Ralph so obstinate or so unskilled ?

Both, he’s a chancer

1 minute ago, Nordic Saint said:

Not really. It happened to him at Torino too. The last game he played for them they lost 7-0 at home and they made sure that was the last time he played for them by offloading him to us.

Torino 0-7 Milan | Milan thumps Torino 7-0! | Serie A TIM - YouTube

In fairness he is doing ok, Salisu and Bendarek are struggling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

This is pretty similar formation to that which worked against Chelsea. Liverpool are too good for us today. Its a shame but they are one of the best teams in the world, our season doesn't make or break against games like this

Chelsea are as good as Liverpool, if not better, I don’t recall us playing 3 strikers in that one?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

This is pretty similar formation to that which worked against Chelsea. Liverpool are too good for us today. Its a shame but they are one of the best teams in the world, our season doesn't make or break against games like this

So you wouldn’t have changed it once you could see how exposed we were ?

6 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

We have been fucking good at conceding from our own corners for a few years now.

when I hear `The Southampton Way', this is what I think of. Clueless tactics (or a failure to see what i obvious to most fans) from managers and coaching staff

• Like 2

I find it hard to blame players here, the set up looked kamikaze at 2.30 and if it looks and walks like a duck…

What the hell are the coaching team up to? If none of them feel able to challenge Ralph when he has these harebrained ideas and games, resign because it’s a waste of wages. We could all take home a six figure wage with bibs, cones and ‘being a link between the players and the dressing room’. 

They need to justify their roles after this, especially if it ends up as another 9-0. Although that’s RH gone if it is. Pity as a lot of progress made this term but he’s lost the plot again today and nobody seems to be able to reign him in.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, saint1977 said:

I find it hard to blame players here, the set up looked kamikaze at 2.30 and if it looks and walks like a duck…

What the hell are the coaching team up to? If none of them feel able to challenge Ralph when he has these harebrained ideas and games, resign because it’s a waste of wages. We could all take home a six figure wage with bibs, cones and ‘being a link between the players and the dressing room’. 

its easy with hindsight, and I am not sure what formation work for us agaist these, but who the hell plays three strikers against Liverpool at Anfield? PSG and....???

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

The available managers list is considerably bigger than the two of Lampard and Allardyce. Why have you limited it to just them?

Because BFS is the one I'd probably go for and Lampard seems to be everyone's first suggestion.

1 minute ago, saint1977 said:

I don’t think you can challenge Ralph, it’s been apparant from the start it’s his way or the highway

We aren’t clueless and even if we lost 9-0 again I still wouldn’t sack Ralph. Our results generally reflect where we are - a 12th-17th place team. Any team who is forced to play McCarthy and Bednarek, who are both Championship level players, every week is going to have issues defensively. Before anyone says Forster, he is no better; stays rooted to his line and goes down like a tree to any low shot.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

its easy with hindsight, and I am not sure what formation work for us agaist these, but who the hell plays three strikers against Liverpool at Anfield? PSG and....???

Definitely not hindsight to say that team selection was inexplicable.

4 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Aren't our first team coaches Kelvin Davis and David Watson? If they resigned, they wouldn't get a job anywhere else. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

No clue what Ralph was thinking with that lineup, maybe he just wants another shot at conceding 9.

The issue I have is fine he tried something different (brave or stupid on your view), but it was clear it was not working within 10 minutes, so why wait until half time to change it? Sorry but I am failing to see how he is improving us? At least he won't wail like a baby this game (unless he's sacked mid game).

A more ruthless team and we are truly embarrassed  

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic