Liverpool 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

We go again. Macca was poor but I'd stick with him nonetheless as stability is important and Forster is just as bad. Armstrong and Redmond back for attacking mid and no other changes imo.

Drop McCarthy.. drop moi and drop diallo .. all abysmal today for Forster stuey and redmond .. Ralph taking Romeu off today along with bringing on Theo has got to be up there as his worst subs made in any previous games ..fell to pieces wen Romeu went off ..awful substitutes!!

• Like 2

I’m going to Anfield for first time ever but before Norwich game I was quite excited and now my mood is more “damage limitation”...

However, they have a midweek fixture at Porto, Brighton managed something too so as usual can only hope to get anything from this everyone needs to be 10/10.

McCarthy

Tino - Bednarek - Salisu - KWP

Stu Arm - JWP - Romeu - Redmond

Adams - Armstrong

Subs to definitely use = Tella/Broja and then either Lyanco/Diallo for some tactical flexibility .

Early day ahead for anyone taking the 10am from Euston

38 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Cheeky 95th minute win in front of the Kop, Mane's clearance smacking Van Dijk on the back of the head & flying into the top corner. Lovely.

Think you are being Farr too kind. 

I see no reason the clearance from Mane cant hit him square in the chops, and trickle agonisingly over the line.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

Here’s a novel idea, let’s play a left footed left back, at left back, and give the team some balance. Too many times KWP had to check his run, this is stupid! play round pegs in round holes.

I wonder if Ralph knows how to spell orthodoxy

• Confused 1

We will try hard, be plucky and have some good chances but eventually lose 1-0, probably scored by an ex player. Which is the worst out come as it doesn't add to either opposing debate - not that it matters as Ralph is bulletproof with the current board anyway. 

12 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We are due an absolute thrashing (as per).  If we keep this down to 5 it will be a good result

It clearly wouldn’t be though, would it. A draw, like we got against United, City and Chelsea (up until the sending off) would be a good result. A two goal defeat is probably a par score.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We are due an absolute thrashing (as per).  If we keep this down to 5 it will be a good result

I look forward to seeing you come on here after a 5-0 loss and say it’s a good result. 

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Like 7

Write it off, give Livramento a proper rest, save Salisu for the more winnable Leicester game (he's a booking away from a ban), get Forster back in to see if he can pull off one of those mad unbeatable performances that he throws up once in a while. Play an actual fucking left back, seeing as how we signed two of them this summer.

But Wednesday and Saturday, home to Leicester then Brighton, should be the focus. There's a win out there for us. But not at Anfield.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Think this will be a hide behind the sofa type of game. If they come away with less than a 5 goal advantage I’ll be surprised.

It will be a hide behind the sofa type of game and if by some chance we're leading or drawing, well into the second half, it will be time to watch sitting on the edge of the sofa biting your nails.

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Josh Sims to set up Long for the winner.

Great times that was mate, still up there as one of my favourite ever away days. When you look at the side we had out it still amazes me that we managed to win at Anfield 

• 1Forster
  • 2Cédric Soares
  • 24Stephens
  • 3Yoshida
  • 21Bertrand
  • 16Ward-ProwseSubstituted forHøjbjergat 59'minutes
  • 14Romeu
  • 8Davis
  • 22RedmondSubstituted forSimsat 81'minutes
  • 9RodriguezSubstituted forLongat 45'minutes
  • 11Tadic
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd be tempted to go with this.  The sort of game that we may tweak the formation.  Would like to see Lyanco start and think Tino needs a rest. 

Macca (Forster but he won't get picked)

Bednarek Lyanco Salisu

KWP JWP Romeu Diallo Perraud

Armstrong Adams

I think there's a lot of sense in that as our #10s are clearly not firing and Diallo looks handy.

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd be tempted to go with this.  The sort of game that we may tweak the formation.  Would like to see Lyanco start and think Tino needs a rest. 

Macca (Forster but he won't get picked)

Bednarek Lyanco Salisu

KWP JWP Romeu Diallo Perraud

Armstrong Adams

I'd go mostly with that, but Perraud would get destroyed by Alexander Arnold/Salah. Sometimes a square peg in a round hole is the best peg, so KWP at lwb for me. 

• Like 1

Hopefully Stu Armstrong and Redmond will be back for this as we could really do with them.

Going back to that Shane Long match I remember Redmond having a great game against Alexander Arnold. He was obviously a bit of a rookie then but Redmond took him apart that evening.

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 10:26, Gingeletiss said:

Here’s a novel idea, let’s play a left footed left back, at left back, and give the team some balance. Too many times KWP had to check his run, this is stupid! play round pegs in round holes.

After all we bought £10m left back just for that purpose didn't we?......As ive said KWP right back, Tino in front of him . Goal keepers ,well not too much to choose from tbh, both have alarming weaknesses,and for such a tall guy FF dosent come out to command his area on crosses and as far as i can remember never really has done.

This game really could have pasting written all over it just to shatter the fragile mental mind sets that our team has.Hope not .

4 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

After all we bought £10m left back just for that purpose didn't we?......As ive said KWP right back, Tino in front of him . Goal keepers ,well not too much to choose from tbh, both have alarming weaknesses,and for such a tall guy FF dosent come out to command his area on crosses and as far as i can remember never really has done.

This game really could have pasting written all over it just to shatter the fragile mental mind sets that our team has.Hope not .

I think it is fair to say that nobody was expecting Tino to make the impact that he has and he has earned his place. Perraud has been sound, but no more, no less. He will get further chances as the games pile on; I think that we have 8 games coming up in 37 days, so injuries will occur and the squad will be used more. 

While I'd rather KWP was playing on his natural right side, he has put in some good performances on the left and offers different capabilities than Perraud (he is really good at keeping the ball, which will be needed against Liverpool). 

Can't disagree too much about your views on the keepers ...... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LiberalCommunist said:

It's a shame that they have already annihilated their group in the Champions League. He can pretty much put out the second string with no pressure on Weds.

Usually I'd be quite heartened by a midweek game, but not this time. I can only see defeat on the weekend, hopefully keep the score down to respectable. 

Liverpool can expect to earn c. £2.5m I think if they win- I expect a fairly strong team from Klopp tomorrow 

If Liverpool turn up, this could be a big one. A bit unlike city, they’re ruthless when the sense blood, as shown in the second half against Arsenal. 

Way to much for us to handle, but the only saving grace is that they have a big one the week after (Everton), which will hopefully mean if/when they’ve got the game won they’ll ease off and go into reservation mode for that one. 

A bit of a free hit in a sense that we’re not expected to win this one. Keep it to 3 or less with a respectable performance and move onto the next one.  

434/441 for me. I don’t think we can give Trent and Robertson reign to bomb on and cross under no pressure. 

Keeper (flip a coin, literally. Both crap)

Bednerak 

Lyanco 

Salisu 

Tino (although looks very tired) 

Romeu 

Jwp

Kwp (Not seen anything to suggest the french lad is up to it). 

Anyone but Theo that’s fit x2 (will need discipline to track and press fullbacks)

Broja (pace on the counter attack)

16 minutes ago, Dman said:

If Liverpool turn up, this could be a big one. A bit unlike city, they’re ruthless when the sense blood, as shown in the second half against Arsenal. 

Way to much for us to handle, but the only saving grace is that they have a big one the week after (Everton), which will hopefully mean if/when they’ve got the game won they’ll ease off and go into reservation mode for that one. 

A bit of a free hit in a sense that we’re not expected to win this one. Keep it to 3 or less with a respectable performance and move onto the next one.  

434/441 for me. I don’t think we can give Trent and Robertson reign to bomb on and cross under no pressure. 

Keeper (flip a coin, literally. Both crap)

Bednerak 

Lyanco 

Salisu 

Tino (although looks very tired) 

Romeu 

Jwp

Kwp (Not seen anything to suggest the french lad is up to it). 

Anyone but Theo that’s fit x2 (will need discipline to track and press fullbacks)

Broja (pace on the counter attack)

If you flip a coin for the keeper, Forster would at least catch it

• Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic