Liverpool 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

We aren’t clueless and even if we lost 9-0 again I still wouldn’t sack Ralph. Our results generally reflect where we are - a 12th-17th place team. Any team who is forced to play McCarthy and Bednarek, who are both Championship level players, every week is going to have issues defensively. Before anyone says Forster, he is no better; stays rooted to his line and goes down like a tree to any low shot.

No agree. If we can get to Christmas with twenty points on the board then we are achieving what we can reasonably expect.

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We aren’t clueless and even if we lost 9-0 again I still wouldn’t sack Ralph. Our results generally reflect where we are - a 12th-17th place team. Any team who is forced to play McCarthy and Bednarek, who are both Championship level players, every week is going to have issues defensively. Before anyone says Forster, he is no better; stays rooted to his line and goes down like a tree to any low shot.

I’d have him out tonight, he’s an embarrassment 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I agree.

I may be corrected but this feels like the first game this season where we've been absolutely terrible. We've had the odd half here and there (Everton A, Norwich A) but we've not been outplayed this badly this season. McCarthy and Forster are both terrible and are a result of poor decisions made before Ralph was even here.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Playing three strikers away at Anfield is just mental, this could be another 9-0.

easily. They have had two other opportunities where they really should have scored. A tight offside goal too. It's horrible, but in the end the defeat at Norwich is still gonna haunt us more.

• Like 1

The defence carried the team the first 10 games of the season and now they have reverted back to playing as we would expect our wastefulness in the final third is really showing up as a genuine reason we should all be concerned about the long term future.  As well as we've done in the transfer market recently, the one place you can't skimp is with strikers and £10m gets you finishing like we've now come to experience on a weekly basis.

• Sad 1

Just now, Lallana's Left Peg said:

The defence carried the team the first 10 games of the season and now they have reverted back to playing as we would expect our wastefulness in the final third is really showing up as a genuine reason we should all be concerned about the long term future.  As well as we've done in the transfer market recently, the one place you can't skimp is with strikers and £10m gets you finishing like we've now come to experience on a weekly basis.

very good point. Conceding to Liverpool is bound to happen, but when you get chances you ave to take them and we've had two or three good ones and failed. Strikers never get the criticism defenders ad keepers get, but Armstrong HAS to score with his chance. Imagine we need that goal to stay up...no lets not do that actually.

At least we have created a few, but the balance of the side is always wrong. Not enough quality causes that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

very good point. Conceding to Liverpool is bound to happen, but when you get chances you ave to take them and we've had two or three good ones and failed. Strikers never get the criticism defenders ad keepers get, but Armstrong HAS to score with his chance. Imagine we need that goal to stay up...no lets not do that actually.

At least we have created a few, but the balance of the side is always wrong. Not enough quality causes that.

Armstrong has been a very average signing (at best) for us this season

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hasper57saint said:

I’ve been saying this for ages.

Remember when Forrest left about four up against us at SMS? We didn't know what to do. Is someone like Tella really essential to have back there at corners?

Just now, adrian lord said:

We are very much a make up the numbers club now. There’s very little prospect of troubling the top half of the table or having a cup run and nicking any sort of trophy. The sense of futility saps any joy.

I'm not sure that we are even that to be honest.   At least the make up the numbers clubs compete and give a decent account of themselves.   We are pretty much in the 'relegation fodder' league now. Just gotta hope to win that league. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

So you wouldn’t have changed it once you could see how exposed we were ?

We have, 2 subs at half time is a pretty early change. Thing is, it doesn't seem to have helped. Against a team of Liverpools quality there isn't much you can do

• Haha 1

Just now, Micky said:

I'm not sure that we are even that to be honest.   At least the make up the numbers clubs compete and give a decent account of themselves.   We are pretty much in the 'relegation fodder' league now. Just gotta hope to win that league. 

😆 Fucking hell. We literally drew at the Etihad and against United, probably deserving to win both.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Chelsea are as good as Liverpool, if not better, I don’t recall us playing 3 strikers in that one?

It was a very weakened Chelsea tbh, nowhere near the quality of this Liverpool team, as it was the cup team.

As for three strikers, I think it was more a 3412 with Adams playing deeper as a lone 10

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Armstrong has been a very average signing (at best) for us this 

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Armstrong has been a very average signing (at best) for us this season

He has all the attributes but seems so keen to get the shot away that he forgets any finesse or accuracy, it was a gamble to think he could make the step up at first ask when you think how long it yook Che to adjust to this league  

Just now, Sarisbury Saint said:

Not early enough. Why wait until we’re 3 down before changing ? Now he’s changed it, but we’re already beaten.

You only have so many tools as a manager. Making 2 changes in the 30th min or whatever when 2-0 down has its own pitfalls which is why you rarely see it happen.

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

He has all the attributes but seems so keen to get the shot away that he forgets any finesse or accuracy, it was a gamble to think he could make the step up at first ask when you think how long it yook Che to adjust to this league  

he's played well in some of the other games. Not today though. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic