Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

So so predictable.

I've been very supportive of Ralph but after that I'm edging towards the Ralph out camp. Sick to the back teeth of these second half abominations and throwing away leads, which renders any good work in the first half meaningless.

That said, JWP shoulders the majority of the blame for that one. Utterly brainless.

So pissed off.

I hate this team. Embarrassing once more.

If it'd been us down to 10 we'd have just passed it around and Ralph would then stand and lament our terrible luck.

2 mins left JWP, just fucking welly it upfield and regroup, even kids know not to pass across their own half when the oppo are running at them. 

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

At least we are top of the table for something aka The Kings of points lost from a winning position! If we are only just above the relegation zone at the end of the season again ie  17th or 16th I feel its time to give someone else a go as Ralph seems to have taken us as far as he can  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Come on then, explain why it’s not Ralph’s fault yet again against 10 men ?

It was against 11 men....one of them had a whistle. Let's hope that Gao sells and the new buyer puts in some money and gets rid of Ralph. Can't stand watching the same shitshow every second half.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Broja should have finished the 2-3 golden chances he had to give us a buffer, two massive errors from JWP at the end.

Thought you'd blame Broja. Spoiled your little agenda that he's not as good as Armstrong by scoring a cracking goal so you have to blame him for us pissing away another two points. Oh and Ralph needs to add game management to his little poxy playbook because he clearly doesn't have a scooby how to implement it when his team is leading.

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That's fuckin pathetic. Brighton are shit. Didn't have a kick all game and still come away with  point. Just whack the fuckin ball away

FFs it was only Brighton ...............and loose against Norwich and ffs cant hold a lead wouldnt trust them with my dog. JWP brain fart why ? why do it youve never before but why then? Second half of games why does it go so so wrong? Subs today made no difference did they  and why again so fucking late? Moi ? wtf does he offer .And we lost Salisu and Romeu for the game against Arsenal. Deary me so damn frustrating .They cant seem to make it across the line and play game management in the second half of games anymore. Has ralphs time come to an end?

UN-.F........ING BELIEVABLE! I have really lost my sense of humour...how the. F can Ralph be smiling after that shambolic defence of a lead with 11 v 10. HOW? HOW?  

Attack is the best form of defence - when will we learn. WHEN. 

Just not good enough. Now we lose to Arsenal with no Salisu or Romeu.

• Like 1

At one point the second half possession was 72% Brighton, with no changes made. That suggests the plan was to back off and hold, and hit on the break. I don’t know what the final number was.  If that was the plan, it meets the unofficial definition of insanity. Ralph has a lot of qualities but his obstinacy and arrogance will be his undoing.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Thought you'd blame Broja. Spoiled your little agenda that he's not as good as Armstrong by scoring a cracking goal so you have to blame him for us pissing away another two points. Oh and Ralph needs to add game management to his little poxy playbook because he clearly doesn't have a scooby how to implement it when his team is leading.

He scored one good goal. Granted. But surely you can see he could and should have put away the one Livra set up for him and the one Che put him through for at the beginning?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Roo1976 said:

FFs it was only Brighton ...............and loose against Norwich and ffs cant hold a lead wouldnt trust them with my dog. JWP brain fart why ? why do it youve never before but why then? Second half of games why does it go so so wrong? Subs today made no difference did they  and why again so fucking late? Moi ? wtf does he offer .And we lost Salisu and Romeu for the game against Arsenal. Deary me so damn frustrating .They cant seem to make it across the line and play game management in the second half of games anymore. Has ralphs time come to an end?

We're still a better team than last season IMO. Eventually it will click. Just got to learn to push for a second once we do take the lead.

Next week of course will be about defending against a very good Arsenal team.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pilchards said:

Southampton have dropped 71 points from winning points in the Premier League since Ralph Hasenhüttl’s first game in charge in December 2018 – 15 more than any other side.

Still, if you compare our transfer budget to most of the other teams.

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Your little darling Armstrong would have scored of course. What with 1 goal in 13 games now.

I didn't mention Armstrong. But the fact is, if Armstrong had missed those chances he would have been blamed.

Overall, it’s the same old bore-bag of a story really. Start well, pressure them, should score more than 1 goal, don’t score more than 1 goal. Come out second half, slowly drift back, team come into it, equalise. And rinse repeat every.single.week.for.ever. That was against a depleted, unconfident 9-man Brighton by the way. Absolutley pathetic from everyone on the field not being able to close that one out.

We make such hard work of scoring goals, it’s beyond painful to watch. But we all saw it, everyone. Sell Ings and gamble on his replacement (which we did) and this team will need an incredible amount of luck to stay up as there are no goals anywhere else.

I genuinely think a half decent winger/number 10 may mask our lack of goals, but we don’t even have that. Our attack, bar a young unproven loanne, is just marooned in averageness and shit.

What do we do in January? Well, we buy an actual player who is a decent attacker for a start. But we won’t as we have no money. Will we limp through this season? I don’t know, it’s hard to say. We make such a meal out of scoring goals and that’s just not sustainable. There’s a lot of positives in certain areas of this team, and how we play, but there is a significant lack of quality in certain areas which is looking like it’s going to kill us.

• Like 3

Look, that goal we conceded, is JWP’s fault unless Ralph instructed that, in which case all I have to say is WTF.

However, Ralph really is to blame for the game management today. Why he didn’t make the 3rd sub or switch it up I do not know. The PL is full of world class managers now and unfortunately Ralph is just being found lacking.

Anything to stem the flow by putting Perraud or Diallo on could have made the difference. 

Let’s reverse the situation, had we been Brighton, down to 10 men away from home 1-0 down, Ralph would have sung praises for “battling and keeping it down to just 1”... 

It really is a bitter pill to swallow tonight, in other circumstances 1-1 is fine but not in the manner today, that feels like a loss. 

However, we march on, I’m not calling for Ralph’s head but seeing the same mistakes over and over again is disappointing.

Edited by nta786
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TWar said:

He scored one good goal. Granted. But surely you can see he could and should have put away the one Livra set up for him and the one Che put him through for at the beginning?

If he's playing regularly and not so desperate to impress, he's taking those chances. Armstrong wouldn't have. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic