Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Southampton have dropped 71 points from winning points in the Premier League since Ralph Hasenhüttl’s first game in charge in December 2018 – 15 more than any other side.

That is a statistic to shame him and he shows no sign that he is learning any lessons. people can blame the players and yes, they are culpable but any manager worth his salt knows how to manage a game when his side is in front. It might go wrong occasionally but with Ralph is is time after time with the same pattern and it's predictable. He's a nice guy but I don't think he's quite savvy enough at this level.

Rubbish game management as usual.

Should have strengthened CM instead of putting the useless Elyounoussi on. Romeu and JWP must be asked to do more than pretty much any other 2 players in the league and it's no wonder they get overrun as games go on. I expect we'll be right in the relegation scrap by January after these last two results. At least Romeu gets a rest in the next match.

Livramento needs dropping. Terrible on the ball today. You can't play predictable, head-down, schoolboy football in the PL unless you're built like Antonio or Lukaku.

On the plus side, Lyanco was ok, although he will defo give away a pen or two through being too tight.

The ref was poor. Elyounoussi and Salisu were each booked for nothing, whilst the Brighton centre back should have been off first half.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, egg said:

If he's playing regularly and not so desperate to impress, he's taking those chances. Armstrong wouldn't have. 

No way you could know that. He should have finished them and didn't. Armstrong misses a lot too but it's not like Broja is suddenly our answer.

2 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Such a stupid stat'. If a team scores in the first minute and ends up with a draw or a loss is it really dropping points from a winning position? Technically yes but it's very unfair.

Don't think you can claim that accounts for being the league leader for dropping points from winning positions.

The rest of December is massive. The games come thick and fast and I seriously think he will be shown the door,  if our points to games ratio drops to negative at new year. 

It will time to change. Fingers crossed we will pick up a couple of wins. 

Edited by Dr Who?

19 minutes ago, Nemi said:

For all of Ralph’s faults, these capitulations happened well before him.

Saying that he’s totally incapable of fixing it, but it’s probably not an easy issue to solve when these players’ whole careers have been consistent big bottlejob

Since the beginning  of his tenure here,we’ve lost 71 points from leading positions. 
disgraceful.And no sign of letting up either. 
let that sink in…71 points. 
Its farcical. 
And fingers need to be pointed at Ralph. 

Edited by saint lard
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, TWar said:

No way you could know that. He should have finished them and didn't. Armstrong misses a lot too but it's not like Broja is suddenly our answer.

Of course, that's what opinions are for. Armstrong has done next to fuck all the whole season but despite that your opinion is that Armstrong "has a higher ceiling" than Broja. I doubt even Armstrong shares that opinion. 

Just now, egg said:

Of course, that's what opinions are for. Armstrong has done next to fuck all the whole season but despite that your opinion is that Armstrong "has a higher ceiling" than Broja. I doubt even Armstrong shares that opinion. 

Have your opinion. I don't care about it to be honest. Broja missed two important chances, JWP made two massive errors, and we lost because of it. I'm not interested in what ifs about if Armstrong had had those chances.

That was in the bag until injury time

Yes Brighton had loads of possession,  but weren't really hurting us with it, but once the board went up, Saints, almost to a man, turned into Sunday League players. A 50p head header from Salisu,  that crappie  corner that ended up with Ely getting booked, Jwp not playing it up the channel and finally Jwp decides to be the first Saints player in years to stand on the post at a set price and blows the offside trap!

We should be comfortable in mid table, but stupid decisions are killing us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Come on then, explain why it’s not Ralph’s fault yet again against 10 men ?

17 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Come on then, explain why it’s not Ralph’s fault yet again against 10 men ?

Well he was not on pitch doing stupid things and he has not got a top PL striker like Ings to score goals and the clubs does not believe in getting in experienced players to assist the young players.

He could have brought on Stephens I suppose but I felt we doing OK for 95 mins but I doubt we can stay up with our current strike force.

I probably bore everyone by saying that our current strike force of Armstrong Adams Broja and Long is the worst strike force I have seen whilst supporting the Saints for the last 60 years

Some say our top prority is a GK and getting rid of Ralph but without a consistent goal scorer we are in real trouble because the whole team can hardly be relaxed defending a 1 0 lead for the last 15 mins

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

Since the beginning  of his tenure here,we’ve lost 72 points from leading positions. 
disgraceful.And no sign of letting up either. 

20 minutes ago, Nemi said:

For all of Ralph’s faults, these capitulations happened well before him.

Saying that he’s totally incapable of fixing it, but it’s probably not an easy issue to solve when these players’ whole careers have been consistent big bottlejob

The only way to know for sure if Ralph is to blame is to compare this record of 72 points dropped in X amount of games since he took over to how many points we dropped in X amount of games before him.

I mean, we already know it's worse than anyone elses in the league - and to be honest after that long in the job, you've had the chance to mould the squad to your liking.

2 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

The rest of December is massive. The games come thick and fast and I seriously think he will be shown the door,  if our points to games ratio drops to negative at new year. 

It will time to change. Fingers crossed we will pick up a couple of wins. 

I’m struggling to care. This team has zero backbone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes left. We need to send these players back to school. Against 10 men. Stick the ball into the corners. We are so into the tippy tappy that we don't know that now it's play it long and pin the opponents into the corners. Today WH v Chelsea, Rice with seconds left stuck the ball into the back of the stand. that virtually finished the game. There were a load of under hit passes and give aways before JWP's stupidity rolling the ball to an opponent. Romeu and Salisu are out of the next game to cap it off. JWP running back out of the defensive line was a real panic over organisation. Everybody else held the line. anybody goalside was offside. JWP showed so little leadership as captain.

• Like 2

Just now, Micky said:

People keep posting comments like this.  If they were shyte, what were we? 

But again, they held the ball better than us and had just as many shots on and off of target. Some might say they deserved a point. Granted we had the better couple of chances. 

11 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Such a stupid stat'. If a team scores in the first minute and ends up with a draw or a loss is it really dropping points from a winning position? Technically yes but it's very unfair.

Not such a stupid stat. It shows how many times we've gone ahead and thrown it away. I agree the game isn't won before the final whistle blows but it's still damning.

Pathetic to have not won that. Brighton were absolutely diabolical and we managed to concede in the 98th against 10 men. 

JWP at total and utter fault for the goal. If that moron hits the corner flag, we win the game. Don’t get me started on the game management though. Bringing Elyonoussi was just bizarre in the extreme. 

I said in August we’d go down after selling Ings and I still stand by it. Not good enough. 

• Like 1

The laughing and joking with potter at the end got me !! Should have been dejected 😞 like all of us but nope Ralphy loves his job and refuses to be down dropping 72 points from winning positions .. let that stat for the cult sink in for a minute.. on top of that Romeu and Salisu suspended for arsenal !! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 02/12/2021 at 12:37, Simster said:

You'll be booing Maupay.  He will miss a sitter early in the first half, then get kicked and one of your players will get booked as a consequence.  You will then open the scoring despite having 7% of the ball all game, but Maupay will equalise in the 74th minute with just his 7th presentable chance and cup his ears to the home fans before celebrating in front of ours and then being booked himself.  

I do love Neal Maupay.  The game itself has draw written all over it.

😄😄😄

Told you!  I just wish I had the balls to suggest he'd score at the death rather than the 74th minute!

Anyway, we were crap today.  Very poor, but then we have injuries piling up now.  I hope Southampton have similar excuses because if either club plays like that in a regular basis then they might yet be in trouble.  All I can say is that this level of performance wasn't really standard for us, even if the result was.

5 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Pathetic to have not won that. Brighton were absolutely diabolical and we managed to concede in the 98th against 10 men. 

JWP at total and utter fault for the goal. If that moron hits the corner flag, we win the game. Don’t get me started on the game management though. Bringing Elyonoussi was just bizarre in the extreme. 

I said in August we’d go down after selling Ings and I still stand by it. Not good enough. 

It must have been a tactical instruction for JWP to do that. I see the logic of getting an extra body in the line but it has cost us big time.

Edit: maybe he was covering McCarthy as mentioned

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

1 minute ago, badgerx16 said:

The problem is that the matches aren't 45 minutes long.

The thing you have to factor in is if we'd pressed less hard in the first half, would we have scored the one goal we did get. It's gutting to drop points like that but you also have to take the rough with the smooth. The fact is we should have scored more in the first half but we lack cutting edge

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Once again we've made the opposition look terrible with our organisation and work rate, but not been able to sustain it for the full 100 minutes

But what's the point in that if you're not going to score? I would much rather we parked the bus, scored goals on the break, and won the bloody game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wish you'd piss off from these forums, you're a right nasty piece of work.

To be blunt, and not playing the waving of a red card, but I dont understand how he hasn’t been removed from the place.

Near on every post is angry, twisted, confused, and beggars belief.

I mean, I may be a cunt, but he didn’t have to tell me so, the other day 😂

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic