Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

They are still high up the table despite not winning lately. A tough team to play against who are well organised and work hard. They picked up a decent point late on last night.

The obvious result is a draw so I'll go for a 1-1 where we are leading at half time. 

For me the team depends on fitness after last night. Livramento looks like he could do with a rest (or just 60 minutes), Bednarek went off injured so will need to hear why, and Tella looked like he had a problem with a muscle in the first half. If none of them are up to 100% by the weekend I would start with the below, but with Broja ready to come on after 60

-----------Mccarthy

KWP--Lyanco---Salisu---Perraud

Redmond-JWP-Romeu-Elyounoussi

--------Adams----Armstrong

Tough lot to beat. Hard to see past another draw for both based on current form. 1-1. 

Tino looks jaded and will presume Bednarek won't be ready for the weekend. Will need Broja's aerial presence up against their giant back line. 

Forster

KWP

Lyanco

Salisu

Perraud

Redmond

JWP

Romeu

Tella

Broja

Adams

• Like 3

On several occasions in the past Saints have outplayed Brighton without coming away with the points.

Certainly Potter has grafted a good side together, and we might see they are more of a challenge than many people think.

Aside from any media nonsense about.."  a South Coast derby ",  this is a game that we must win to consolidate a mid-table spot

and stay clear  of the drop zone.  The remaining 5 games in December, (3 of which are away) are against London sides and unless

we find some goal-scoring acumen, we could come away empty-handed,  as none of them looks to be anything like....." an easy fixture ". 

• Like 1

We underestimate Brighton at our peril. Got laughed at for saying at the start of the season they will be top 10 and still think that, just about. Struggle to score goals, but may well do against our leaky defence. Bring back Forster (obvs) and tighten up the midfield. Stuart Armstrong the key. Need to play for 90 minutes for once. Draw would be okay result but need a win (my daughter has never seen a win at home live, so hoping for change there...) Come on Saints

14 minutes ago, Danbert said:

No Webster or Lallana for them. Who will we boo?

You'll be booing Maupay.  He will miss a sitter early in the first half, then get kicked and one of your players will get booked as a consequence.  You will then open the scoring despite having 7% of the ball all game, but Maupay will equalise in the 74th minute with just his 7th presentable chance and cup his ears to the home fans before celebrating in front of ours and then being booked himself.  

I do love Neal Maupay.  The game itself has draw written all over it.

😄😄😄

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Got to start Broja ahead of Armstrong.

It won’t happen though.

Don't agree. Broja is over rated on this forum. His work rate is  limited, AAs is not. Broja is frequently anonymous for long periods, AA is not. Broja has flashes of power and even of brilliance and I hope he matures to become star but overall AA contributes more at present.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Dellman said:

Don't agree. Broja is over rated on this forum. His work rate is  limited, AAs is not. Broja is frequently anonymous for long periods, AA is not. Broja has flashes of power and even of brilliance and I hope he matures to become star but overall AA contributes more at present.

With you on this. His pressing was a lot more committed than Broja. In the first half they struggled to get out but less so after Arma went off.

7 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

For me the team depends on fitness after last night. Livramento looks like he could do with a rest (or just 60 minutes), Bednarek went off injured so will need to hear why, and Tella looked like he had a problem with a muscle in the first half. If none of them are up to 100% by the weekend I would start with the below, but with Broja ready to come on after 60

-----------Mccarthy

KWP--Lyanco---Salisu---Perraud

Redmond-JWP-Romeu-Elyounoussi

--------Adams----Armstrong

Yep

I would bring in Forster as McC has had too many cock ups of late ! Livra needs a break and Bednarek is probably injured  so KWP and Perraud come in…

I’d keep the rest as per Wednesday because we looked good in the first half !

See how it goes and we’ve still got a pretty good bench 👍

COYS😇

• Like 1

No team is going to be too bothered about coming to St Marys this season, most will have marked it down as a potential 3 points and Brighton will be no different.  We really need the points to consolidate in mid table, but the best I can see us getting is the draw and slipping further into the mire. 1 - 1 if luck is on our side, otherwise another home loss. 

5 minutes ago, Micky said:

No team is going to be too bothered about coming to St Marys this season, most will have marked it down as a potential 3 points and Brighton will be no different.  

1 - 1 if luck is on our side, otherwise another home loss. 

Really? Which away teams have had an easy match at St Mary’s this season?

We've only lost once at home this season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I think we'll win. Hoping to see Moussa back in the squad. At some point he's going to ignite for us. A really exciting player. And it's so great to see Redmond back at his best. I thought he was stunning first half against Leicester.  JWP looking back to his best too.  And there's more creativity and energy going into set piece planning.  All of which gives me reason to take the optimistic stance here.  Optimists aren't always right. But they have more fun!  Compare: three days of dread/meh vs three days of excitement.  Come join camp hope!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I think we'll win. Hoping to see Moussa back in the squad. At some point he's going to ignite for us. A really exciting player. And it's so great to see Redmond back at his best. I thought he was stunning first half against Leicester.  JWP looking back to his best too.  And there's more creativity and energy going into set piece planning.  All of which gives me reason to take the optimistic stance here.  Optimists aren't always right. But they have more fun!  Compare: three days of dread/meh vs three days of excitement.  Come join camp hope!

Let's go ...😄

15 hours ago, DT said:

We underestimate Brighton at our peril. Got laughed at for saying at the start of the season they will be top 10 and still think that, just about. Struggle to score goals, but may well do against our leaky defence. Bring back Forster (obvs) and tighten up the midfield. Stuart Armstrong the key. Need to play for 90 minutes for once. Draw would be okay result but need a win (my daughter has never seen a win at home live, so hoping for change there...) Come on Saints

...😆 hope your daughter is not above 20 years old.

... come on you Saints

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dellman said:

Totally agree with this, but I prefer someone who is more capable of putting the ball in the net, even if that’s all he does do. You could see the Leicester players where a little less comfortable when Broja came on.

Armstrong is not filling me with confidence, he seems to be trying almost too hard and doing everything to quick. He needs to be more composed and aware of what’s around him. We had years of Shane Long running around a lot, now we need something different, someone who can score.

Broja is raw, but he’ll only improve by playing more. I’m not convinced Armstrong will.

• Like 2

Redmond has been a lot better in recent games, and that is great to see. But I wish he'd try something new when going for headers. How many times does he jump for one, then seemingly duck out the way and land on the deck giving the opposition the ball. I don't think I've ever seen a player look so scared of making contact. 

• Like 2

Looking forward to the Brighton game, should be a good game between two sides of similar quality. Think we can nick it, hoping they dont get out of their rut at our expense - they are quite capable of pulling this off.

Weirdly, I wonder if we concede first (in the 1st half) if that would help us build momentum and have a better 2nd half. Whilst I didnt think we were as awful on Weds as we often are in the second period, it is still a bit of a concern, and I do wonder if with Ralph's automations if he does almost preset what changes are going to happen instead of reading the game. Sounds odd, and he has been generally better than last season with subs, tactics, and formations but still work to do.

I mean surely he doesnt automate the subs and stuff, right?

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, benjii said:

Desperate times when you think to yourself, "I hope Stephens is available".

He could probably do with a game or two for the B team to get some match fitness , been out for so long 

On 02/12/2021 at 10:13, Saint_lambden said:

Tough lot to beat. Hard to see past another draw for both based on current form. 1-1. 

Tino looks jaded and will presume Bednarek won't be ready for the weekend. Will need Broja's aerial presence up against their giant back line. 

Forster

KWP

Lyanco

Salisu

Perraud

Redmond

JWP

Romeu

Tella

Broja

Adams

Agree with your comments but there’s no way Ralph will drop McCarthy after Leicester. 

49 minutes ago, JRM said:

He could probably do with a game or two for the B team to get some match fitness , been out for so long 

Agreed , but would be good to have him on the bench just in case Lyanco or Salisu pick up an injury during the game. Otherwise I suspect Romeu will need to drop to centre half. 

42 minutes ago, Garysfc48 said:

Agree with your comments but there’s no way Ralph will drop McCarthy after Leicester. 

I think it would take Ralph storming in to his own bedroom seeing McCarthy with his wife after throwing the ball into his own net 12 times to even consider dropping him on the evidence of this season. And even then he'd put the non-Forster keeper in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eurosaint said:

I would bring in Forster as McC has had too many cock ups of late ! Livra needs a break and Bednarek is probably injured  so KWP and Perraud come in…

I’d keep the rest as per Wednesday because we looked good in the first half !

See how it goes and we’ve still got a pretty good bench 👍

COYS😇

Judging by the responses on here I am in a minority, but I'm still not convinced that Tino should be dropped. I acknowledge that his performances have dipped from early season, KWP is better on the right and Perraud has been solid, but I still think that we miss Tino's height and physicality if he wasn't there. And even when he isn't playing great, he still looks dangerous or creates a half chance.   I can't recall Perraud making a single chance when he has played, KWP has had good performances at left back and Tino still has good moments in every game. 

We've started letting goals in from corners recently (Chelsea (cup), Norwich, Liverpool & Leicester) and I think that we are beginning to miss Vestergaard's "big lump" ability. In what is a generally small team we can't afford to lose some of our more sizable performers. It is another reason why Broja could start in front of Armstrong.   Brighton have two centre halfs (Dunk & Duffy) who both have a reputation for being dangerous at set-pieces, I wouldn't weaken the team here just because Tino has had a dip in form. 

I suspect that the injuries will start to rack up over December with so many games, so the likes of Perraud will get their opportunities and show what they can do. 

I'd go with this XI...Tino does need a break and I miss KWP at RB.

Macca
KWP-Lyanco-Salisu- Perraud
Redders-JWP-Romeu-Tella
Adams-Armstrong

I've got a funny feeling that Ralph will bring Jack in for Bedders.

Edited by CAH61

4 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

We've started letting goals in from corners recently (Chelsea (cup), Norwich, Liverpool & Leicester) and I think that we are beginning to miss Vestergaard's "big lump" ability. In what is a generally small team we can't afford to lose some of our more sizable performers. It is another reason why Broja could start in front of Armstrong.   Brighton have two centre halfs (Dunk & Duffy) who both have a reputation for being dangerous at set-pieces, I wouldn't weaken the team here just because Tino has had a dip in form.

Makes me wonder why Saints don't try leaving one or even two of our titches upfield at corners.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic