Jump to content

Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread


SuperSAINT
 Share

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

Shocking statistic

Our game vs Brighton will be exactly 2 years since our last win without Stuart Armstrong playing (home game vs Norwich). We've played 18 games since then with 0 wins and 11 losses.  

Especially considering he’s quickly becoming one of those players who plays for his national team more then his club side. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Weston Saint said:

Shocking statistic

Our game vs Brighton will be exactly 2 years since our last win without Stuart Armstrong playing (home game vs Norwich). We've played 18 games since then with 0 wins and 11 losses.  

Unbelievable isn't it. Also quite alarming Armstrong has missed 18 (soon to be 19) games in the last two years. Not a good injury record. Maybe he just makes himself available for selection when he thinks we've got a chance of winning 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Be interesting to see how Lamptey gets on.  Reason being he is similar to Tino but a few years further down the road.

 

He lacks a lot of what Tino has imo. He is very poor defensively, basically playing as a winger for Brighton. Also his injury record is appalling. Very talented footballer though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Weston Saint said:

Shocking statistic

Our game vs Brighton will be exactly 2 years since our last win without Stuart Armstrong playing (home game vs Norwich). We've played 18 games since then with 0 wins and 11 losses.  

That is quite surprising, especially given that he was (arguably) our poorest player in the first half against Villa and was well off the pace when he came on for the last 20 minutes away to Watford. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it right we haven't scored a goal from open play in the last 30 minutes of any game this season? Thought I heard that from a DAZN commentator on the Leicester game.

There is definitely a second-half drop-off effect with us that every opposing manager must know. Is it a lack of fitness?  Too energetic / exhausting high pressing early on in games (when we score most of our...very few....goals).

If we could play two decent high=pressing halves of football we'd win.

Think we'll edge Brighton 2-1. Armstrong and Adams playing on the ground (no point in high crosses unless Broja is up top).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Stephens available apparently......Bendarek out. Forster Injured.

It says on the OS he’s still building fitness - not sure if that means he’ll be on the bench or not…

In terms of returning personnel centre-back Jack Stephens continues to build fitness ahead of a return from a two-month knee injury he picked up at Manchester City earlier in the season.”

I read this as he was probably not available and therefore expecting Lyanco and Salisu with Simeu on the bench?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Adams wins heading duels. He even scored with one on Wednesday!

 

Hmmm, interesting - but that is just one week and midfield aerial battles from punts upfield...his headed goal for Leicester was his first headed goal out of the 70 or 80 he's scored apparently - says it all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Hmmm, interesting - but that is just one week and midfield aerial battles from punts upfield...his headed goal for Leicester was his first headed goal out of the 70 or 80 he's scored apparently - says it all.

Adams is very poor at heading the ball.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, NewYorkSaint said:

I think we'll win. Hoping to see Moussa back in the squad. At some point he's going to ignite for us. A really exciting player. And it's so great to see Redmond back at his best. I thought he was stunning first half against Leicester.  JWP looking back to his best too.  And there's more creativity and energy going into set piece planning.  All of which gives me reason to take the optimistic stance here.  Optimists aren't always right. But they have more fun!  Compare: three days of dread/meh vs three days of excitement.  Come join camp hope!

I am all in.

Sunshine Pumping GIF - Sunshine Pumping - Discover & Share GIFs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Hmmm, interesting - but that is just one week and midfield aerial battles from punts upfield...his headed goal for Leicester was his first headed goal out of the 70 or 80 he's scored apparently - says it all.

Midfield aerial battles from pumps upfield are important. His ability to win long balls, control them and start attacks are a key method of relieving pressure when the other team is attacking as well as facilitating quick counters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Wonder if Ralph will be tempted to give Theo a start. Seems he is quite keen not to leave squad players on the bench for too long at a time (apart from FF of course).

I bloody well hope not. He shouldn't be anywhere near a PL squad, same as Long.

I reckon we'll see Lynaco alongside Salisu. Makes me a tiny bit nervous as they're both a little rash in how they step out of defence, Lyanco in particular. Trossard will as usual pull them all over the place, so they need to be sensible in and out of possession.

Would expect to see Moussa come in for Tella, maybe Broja for Armstrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about Elyonoussi? Last week he wasn't in the squad because his partner had given birth to a baby. Wednesday when he came on as a sub they said he was on tenterhooks waiting for his partner to give birth. So has she had it yet? I'm not a great fan of Moi, but with Stuey out still he is probably our best bet in midfield and he is certainly a lot better than he used to be. What has happened to Djenepo? 

Can't figure out if Stephens is ready or not, he was supposed to be ready for Wednesday but didn't even make the bench, not confident relying on Lyanco, and with no other CB on the bench.

Presumably we'll see the elusive Harry Lewis on the bench. 23 years old and 3 senior appearances, the last nearly 4 years ago. What a waste.

Hopefully Ralph will give Tino a rest and go with KWP in his best position, and Perraud on the left (from what I've seen he is decent defensively just seems to lack the abiility to get a decent cross in). Take JWP off of corner duty and let someone who seems able to put a decent corner in take them instead (Redmond (am I really saying that) or even Smallbone.

I hope Ralph goes: McCarthy, KWP, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud, Romeu, JWP, Smallbone, Redmond, Adams, Broja (but I suspect he won't).

 

Really need something good to happen this weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

What about Elyonoussi? Last week he wasn't in the squad because his partner had given birth to a baby. Wednesday when he came on as a sub they said he was on tenterhooks waiting for his partner to give birth. So has she had it yet? I'm not a great fan of Moi, but with Stuey out still he is probably our best bet in midfield and he is certainly a lot better than he used to be. What has happened to Djenepo? 

Can't figure out if Stephens is ready or not, he was supposed to be ready for Wednesday but didn't even make the bench, not confident relying on Lyanco, and with no other CB on the bench.

Presumably we'll see the elusive Harry Lewis on the bench. 23 years old and 3 senior appearances, the last nearly 4 years ago. What a waste.

Hopefully Ralph will give Tino a rest and go with KWP in his best position, and Perraud on the left (from what I've seen he is decent defensively just seems to lack the abiility to get a decent cross in). Take JWP off of corner duty and let someone who seems able to put a decent corner in take them instead (Redmond (am I really saying that) or even Smallbone.

I hope Ralph goes: McCarthy, KWP, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud, Romeu, JWP, Smallbone, Redmond, Adams, Broja (but I suspect he won't).

 

Really need something good to happen this weekend.

I very much doubt Smallbone starts, we have like 7 players competing for those two roles who are ahead of him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, TWar said:

He lacks a lot of what Tino has imo. He is very poor defensively

Same as Tino then, that's not a dig out or slating Tino but defensively has been very poor especially positional and awareness which is why I'd love him to play further forward in front of KWP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Adams wins heading duels. He even scored with one on Wednesday!

 

what counts as a duel? Was his headed goal one of those five duals won, because if it was, then the stat is a bit misleading, as it was an uncontested header due to a compete balls up by their centre backs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Brighton - Match Thread
19 hours ago, SaintTex said:

what the hell did Forster do to himself?

A suspicious person would say 'is Fraser really injured'  

Non specified injury even tho epl teams have the best medical staff so will know what's the problem or does Ralph know he'll get slated again if Mccarthy cocks up again with calls for Forster to start, this way it negates that 

Anyhow roll on January and hope for new keeper 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, danjosaint said:

A suspicious person would say 'is Fraser really injured'  

Non specified injury even tho epl teams have the best medical staff so will know what's the problem or does Ralph know he'll get slated again if Mccarthy cocks up again with calls for Forster to start, this way it negates that 

Anyhow roll on January and hope for new keeper 

Sold?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I bloody well hope not. He shouldn't be anywhere near a PL squad, same as Long.

I reckon we'll see Lynaco alongside Salisu. Makes me a tiny bit nervous as they're both a little rash in how they step out of defence, Lyanco in particular. Trossard will as usual pull them all over the place, so they need to be sensible in and out of possession.

Would expect to see Moussa come in for Tella, maybe Broja for Armstrong. 

Ralph never makes wholesale changes so likely same team as Wednesday but Lyanco for Bednarek. No start for Broja.

Not sure about Tella though because of that overstretch incident on Weds; if not fit enough to start expect Djenepo (for pace). 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

1) A suspicious person would say 'is Fraser really injured'  

Non specified injury even tho epl teams have the best medical staff so will know what's the problem or does Ralph know he'll get slated again if Mccarthy cocks up again with calls for Forster to start, this way it negates that 

Anyhow 2) roll on January and hope for new keeper 

1) Why would they lie about an injury to the sub keeper?

2) Hasenhuttl has already stated a new keeper won't be joining until next summer

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ralph never makes wholesale changes so likely same team as Wednesday but Lyanco for Bednarek. No start for Broja.

Not sure about Tella though because of that overstretch incident on Weds; if not fit enough to start expect Djenepo (for pace). 

The team was announced 10 minutes ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Pretty happy with the lineup. Would have preferred to see Livramento rested for this one but i expect the only way he'll get a break is when he gets injured.

Yep, I think that side pretty much picks itself. Interesting to see how our 4 at the back matches up against their 3/5.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

it really is difficult to be optimistic because Saints let us down so often just chucking away winning positions like no other team out there, failing to win for 2 years when Stu Armstrong has been out of the team and our record at home against Brighton recently.

Heart says 3-1 win Saints

Head says 3-1 win Brighton

Edited by BARCELONASAINT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})

{{comment