Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

15 minutes ago, derry said:

JWP running back out of the defensive line was a real panic over organisation. Everybody else held the line. anybody goalside was offside. JWP showed so little leadership as captain.

17 minutes ago, vin said:

Sounds as though McCarthy did his hamstring in towards the end of the game. Probably why Ward-Prowse dropped back to the goal line on the free kick.

So, which was it then? JWP doing something bizarre or trying to make up for injured keeper? 

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Tino had his worst game for us today. Very poor. Yet again we had some glorious chances to get the second but fluffed them. Ralph gets a lot of stick but when professional footballers don’t do their job what can you do?

He’s been pretty average for a few games now. Since the international Break where he has to withdraw due to injury. 

Ralph still continues to pick him though, despite having someone of KWP’s quality who’s being forced to play out of position. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Tino had his worst game for us today. Very poor. Yet again we had some glorious chances to get the second but fluffed them. Ralph gets a lot of stick but when professional footballers don’t do their job what can you do?

Problem is Ralph is also failing to do his job or we'd be far better at game management and less inclined to surrender, back off and reduce ourselves to a panic stricken shambles. He should be drilling the players on how to manage games when we are in front but he's not capable of doing it.

1 minute ago, sadoldgit said:

Tino is progressively getting worse, he should of been benched, Ralph's fault

Perroud should have come on for Tino and KWP reverted to Rb, even if it was game management to waste time, Ralph's fault

72 dropped fucking points ,  Ralph's fault

Yes he might seem a decent guy on camera but now is the time he needs to fuck off 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Normally you sack the manager because its easier than selling 7 or 8 players. Only problem is ralph has either signed or inherited and then kept around players who aren't good enough. So only himself to blame. He's had 3 years.

• Like 1

How do you explain this? Saints player fouled in centre of pitch and stays down. Ref allows play to continue with Brighton attacking....they could have scored. Ball eventually gets to Saints goalkeepers hands. Ref then turns round goes back, and books the Brighton player! If he's booked him I assume it was a foul, so why no free kick to Saints originally? Am I missing something?? Other than us having yet another useless ref??

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, trousers said:

So, which was it then? JWP doing something bizarre or trying to make up for injured keeper? 

If McCarthy had done his hamstring he should have gone down before the kick was taken. He seemed to have no problem setting up the wall and didn't look bothered by anything else.

Edited by derry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, derry said:

If McCarthy hjad done his hamstring he should have gone down before the kick was taken. He seemed to have no problem setting up the wall and didn't look bothered by anything else.

Lynaco took a goal kick earlier so there was clearly something not right with McCarthy. Agree that he should have gone down to at least get some treatment / advice from the physio

• Like 2

Another game our opponents have had the last laugh. Hardly surprising for this team to throw the lead away. We've been doing it for years and Ralph still doesn't know how to fix it.

It's nonsense to suggest we don't have the players. Sure, the quality of the squad is bottom half, but its on par with other clubs in this league and yet they don't hold the horrible records we do.

Teams below us have recruited new managers and found new form. Meanwhile we're still dropping leads every week and making things difficult for ourselves. We'll be fighting for survival this season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Such a stupid stat'.

Not really - it tells everyone that we severely lack mental strength and high concentration levels, that our second half fitness isn’t where it should be, and that Ralph struggles tactically with his game management once we’re in the lead.

It’s the perfect statistic to tell any opposing player or manager that goes behind when facing us, that with a change of tactics and personnel we’re very likely to cave.

• Like 1

I try not to let football ruin my mood these days, but that one has really pissed me off.

The dropping points thing is grim reading, but I think it's worth remembering it's not a solely Ralph stat. We did the same under Hughes and Pellegrino. Ralph should have done more to address it but I do think a mental weakness is ingrained in some of our influential players.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

I bet you jizzed yourself when they equalised.

Just so you could come on here and say how much of a great point it was.

Fuck this forum.

Bunch of melts.

See you later Duckers. 

Justin SFC  I thought after the quote above from the Medical Emergencies thread you were leaving this forum   ?

1 minute ago, CWD said:

I try not to let football ruin my mood these days, but that one has really pissed me off.

The dropping points thing is grim reading, but I think it's worth remembering it's not a solely Ralph stat. We did the same under Hughes and Pellegrino. Ralph should have done more to address it but I do think a mental weakness is ingrained in some of our influential players.

And most of the Posters on this Forum too

3 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Still Pompey lost to a late goal, some consultation.

In the league I would have been mildly (very mildly) amused, but in the FA Cup who gives a toss. They honestly don't even come into my thinking unless someone posts about them on here. Would probably rather have had them win so we could draw them again.

21 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Agree with you about Ralph but Ely came on and made a cracking challenge to be fair to him. Got booked for it of course.

Yep, even though we managed to throw away another 2 points with some schoolboy play, I thought that today's referee was possibly the worst I have ever seen. His display was bordering on criminal. Duffy should have had two yellows first half. He seemed to be letting a lot of their 'fouls' go, but none of ours. The decision to not only give a free kick against Ely when it was a perfectly good tackle and then book him as well, and booking Salisu when all he appeared to do was throw the ball back to where the free kick should have been taken were very costly.

We have seen some incredibly 'poor' refereeing since the club complained about Mike Dean and one wonders if there is some sort of vendetta against us from the Premier League referees. Maybe it's just me with my Saints bias thinking this but, my God, today's ref certainly gave us nothing. 

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Micky said:

But what's the point in that if you're not going to score? I would much rather we parked the bus, scored goals on the break, and won the bloody game.

Sadly we're terrible, slow, indecisive crap on the break. Making chances by forcing errors is our highest probability route to goal, as we've got no creativity to build and hardly any pace in transition to play on the break.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ade said:

Yep, even though we managed to throw away another 2 points with some schoolboy play, I thought that today's referee was possibly the worst I have ever seen. His display was bordering on criminal. Duffy should have had two yellows first half. He seemed to be letting a lot of their 'fouls' go, but none of ours. The decision to not only give a free kick against Ely when it was a perfectly good tackle and then book him as well, and booking Salisu when all he appeared to do was throw the ball back to where the free kick should have been taken were very costly.

We have seen some incredibly 'poor' refereeing since the club complained about Mike Dean and one wonders if there is some sort of vendetta against us from the Premier League referees. Maybe it's just me with my Saints bias thinking this but, my God, today's ref certainly gave us nothing. 

Duffy and Bissouma both got let off blatant yellow cards

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not ridiculous, I am fucking bored of it.  

Don’t blame you. It’s the hope that kills you, every time. Start games high tempo, fail to capitalise on a dominant performance, then just utterly melt into the second half. Time and time again. You just know what’s coming every time. It gets old very quickly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Brighton - Match Thread
5 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

When defending a free kick, if your keeper is struggling with an injury and it's decided to put a player on the goal line to help, why on earth would you give that job to one of your shortest players? 

To be fair most of our players are short and any that aren't were in the wall. 

Played some decent stuff again today so disappointed not to get the three points. Some good displays across the team but once again we can’t hold on.

Thought the ref today and Wednesday were poor, didn’t seem to get anything go our way and some shut bookings too.

I just can’t even begin to fathom what was going through JWP’s head with that pass. 1-0 at home to a ten man side, who were sh*t with eleven. All he had to do was run forward with the ball and if a tackle came in, boot it down the line. Instead he plays a blind pass across the front of his own box, straight to a Brighton player. No manager can account for that level of baffling decision making.

Were we great second half? No, but we were comfortable and Brighton were hardly world class themselves. We had the chances for that to be a comfortable 2/3-0 win.

WTF McC and JWP were doing for that free kick either, I’ve no idea. This one’s on the players for me and their collective mentality. They’re the most consistent bunch of gutless bottle jobs I’ve ever seen.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

WTF McC and JWP were doing for that free kick either, I’ve no idea. This one’s on the players for me and their collective mentality. They’re the most consistent bunch of gutless bottle jobs I’ve ever seen.

This for me too. Utter weaklings in spirit.