Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, manji said:

With the backstage team we have know do you really think they are sitting back and thinking our work is done ? Convinced we will get three or four in before the start of the season. 
We had a flurry of new players at the beginning then a break . The bedwetters are off already.

Ralph has said we have plenty of strikers on our hit list. It’s just a case of working whose the best value. Sports Republic havnt put a foot wrong can’t see them fucking up now.

watch the general interviews with Rasmus and Dragon on Facebook they are not lightweights.

I’m not bed wetting, I’m merely saying we all know we need three or four more players. But the Borja love-in is a bit much for someone who was decisively average at the best of times.

That back room team are extremely good and as we all know Saints get their work done behind closed doors.

In no way, shape or form am I saying “this is tricuspid”, “sack the board” etc. There enough of those muppets on Twitter, a guy called Marc sticks out funnily enough. Never known someone to be so miserable. 🤣

I reckon it’ll be another week or so before we even get as much of a sniff of us being closely linked with someone. Not tabloid bullshit.

Im impressed with what we’ve done. Just throw a few marquee/key/experienced/leadership players in there and we’d have one hell of a team!
😂

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 1

Its definitely going to be a very competitive PL season.

Hard to make a convincing relegation argument for more than the promoted teams plus Saints, Leeds and Brentford but we have spent a bit, Leeds have too and have the Raphinha and Phillips cash to use whilst personally I don't see Brentford suddenly reverting to being awful all of a sudden.

Our business has been encouraging so far but in this context we certainly can't afford to wait til 31st August before signing some attackers. Our start is tough enough anyway and it looks like a season where once you are near the bottom it will be hard to really get out and then the WC brings everything to a halt.

A good start is vital IMO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m not bed wetting, I’m merely saying we all know we need three or four more players. But the Borja love-in is a bit much for someone who was decisively average at the best of times.

😂

There were points last season where he was unplayable. The pace and strength to shrug off good defenders was astonishing for a 19 year old.

Yes he also went missing but he wasn't alone there and you'd expect greater consistency as he gets older.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hard to make a convincing relegation argument for more than the promoted teams plus Saints, Leeds and Brentford but we have spent a bit, Leeds have too and have the Raphinha and Phillips cash to use whilst personally I don't see Brentford suddenly reverting to being awful all of a sudden.

Our business has been encouraging so far but in this context we certainly can't afford to wait til 31st August before signing some attackers. Our start is tough enough anyway and it looks like a season where once you are near the bottom it will be hard to really get out and then the WC brings everything to a halt.

Had they not signed Eriksen, I think they’d have been in a lot more bother than they were. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they drop. 

Between them and Leeds and arguably Everton, they’ve all got weaker this window.  Bournemouth haven’t spent much and have a championship team Imo and I don’t know much about Fulham. 

perosnally, I think everton will be fine, then it’s a toss up between the promoted sides and us, Brentford, Leeds and maybe Brighton in terms of who goes down. 

20 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That back room team are extremely good and as we all know Saints get their work done behind closed doors.

In no way, shape or form am I saying “this is tricuspid”, “sack the board” etc. There enough of those muppets on Twitter, a guy called Marc sticks out funnily enough. Never known someone to be so miserable. 🤣

I reckon it’ll be another week or so before we even get as much of a sniff of us being closely linked with someone. Not tabloid bullshit.

Im impressed with what we’ve done. Just throw a few marquee/key/experienced/leadership players in there and we’d have one hell of a team!
😂

Agreed especially with the Broja comment.

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Had they not signed Eriksen, I think they’d have been in a lot more bother than they were. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they drop. 

Between them and Leeds and arguably Everton, they’ve all got weaker this window.  Bournemouth haven’t spent much and have a championship team Imo and I don’t know much about Fulham. 

perosnally, I think everton will be fine, then it’s a toss up between the promoted sides and us, Brentford, Leeds and maybe Brighton in terms of who goes down. 

I personally think Leeds will struggle this season. They have lost there two best players for decent money, but on paper at least, haven't replaced them with similar quality. The lad from Feynoord might have something about him, but bit like us they have taken punts on unknown quantities. I think the mantra for the upcoming season is beat the teams that are going to be around us, especially at home.

22 minutes ago, coalman said:

There were points last season where he was unplayable. The pace and strength to shrug off good defenders was astonishing for a 19 year old.

Yes he also went missing but he wasn't alone there and you'd expect greater consistency as he gets older.

He is a fabulous talent - I would have thrown everything at getting him because you know he will score 10-15 goals this season. The only issue might be his attitude but that is rumour.

• Like 1

Confident the recruitment team will get a striker of the calibre needed, probably two.  If one is Dembele, that would suit us. 
As for Broja, based on last season, I can’t see him worth the silly money being written about. Hasn’t yet proved himself as a goal scorer. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I personally think Leeds will struggle this season. They have lost there two best players for decent money, but on paper at least, haven't replaced them with similar quality. The lad from Feynoord might have something about him, but bit like us they have taken punts on unknown quantities. I think the mantra for the upcoming season is beat the teams that are going to be around us, especially at home.

I'm sure I've heard that said almost every year about another team as well...... their name is on the tip of my tongue...... nope can't remember, I know they've stayed up every time though.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Toon Saint said:

Agree with most of this but Brighton signed Deniz Undav i Pyuary. He was loaned back to Union SG (who are essentially Brighton's sister club) and finished as top scorer in Belgian league. So I can't see them signing another striker until he's been given a chance. 

I understand strikers are expensive, everyone wants them and we are down the pecking order. I've been following Saints since the war-I am 87-and my memory is that we have always been a goalscoring side until recently. We've had the most amazing strikers--used to be called centre forwards--from Charlie Wayman through Chivers Channon Davies not forgetting Derek Reeves, George O'Brien and of course Terry P and Eric Day who got goals galore from the wing. I know it is all different now but I find it very hard that goals are now so scarce at one end and go in so easily at the other end

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Professor said:

Confident the recruitment team will get a striker of the calibre needed, probably two.

Indeed. They were able to find Broja last summer, who was relatively unknown at the time, despite being an international and hitting double figures in Holland. He was still just a youngster from Chelsea. Since Crocker's return we've had far more hits than misses in our recruitment and you've just got to have faith that they'll get the right player in to replace him, especially with the extra resources we have this summer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

We are overrun with midfield options but have the worst strike force in the league how have we allowed that to happen? I don't think any club is going to fear an Adams and Armstrong duo 

Goals are created in the midfield so having a strong and flexible midfield is important. We seem to have strengthened the team in that regard. Even the best strikers in the world cannot succeed on no service. 

• Like 2

If you go through the top scorers in the major European leagues, anyone who scored 15+ is either -

1. Established major stars at big clubs and never gettable for us, i.e Lewa, Benzema, Shichk, Immobile, Vlahovic etc. 

2. Or old like Aspas or Modeste. Ben Yedder etc. 

3. Or already moved like Haller or Adeyemi or Nunez etc. 

Someone not in those sort of brackets, like say Terrier from Rennes (21 goals last season) or Scamacca (16 in Serie A) they are talking about £30 million plus fees for them. 

Also there were only about 6 ish players in those leagues (per league) that got 15 or more goals last year. 

Jonathan David is about the only one that might be a shout, 22, double figures in the league for every pro season he has had, potential to grow and Lille finished mid table last year and I think might have money issues. But he'd be expensive and probably would want to join someone better than us.

Raul De Thomas is a wildcard option, good season last year for a poor Espanyol side, regular scorer in his career but 27 and still being linked with £30 million ish fees. 

I think realistically we just aren't going to pick someone up with a good goal record. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If you actually mean that then I think its some serious revisionism on your part. He was decidedly very good at the "best of times" - hence the hype. But that wasn't that often. He was also very average - and that was most of the time - and he was also completely missing on other occasions. Whether that's because our service was garbage, or because he's just a young player (and oppositions worked him out / he needs to work on his game) remains to be seen.

Regardless, the fact remains that saints would absolutely taken him at the right price - But that price isn't the rumoured £30M.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

At the moment, i think Everton and Bombey should be in everyone's "favourites for the drop". They've had bad windows and can be expected to struggle. Unlikely saints are going to be near it imo. But you never know what will happen with injures etc.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

If you go through the top scorers in the major European leagues, anyone who scored 15+ is either -

1. Established major stars at big clubs and never gettable for us, i.e Lewa, Benzema, Shichk, Immobile, Vlahovic etc. 

Someone not in those sort of brackets, like say Terrier from Rennes (21 goals last season) or Scamacca (16 in Serie A) they are talking about £30 million plus fees for them. 

Also there were only about 6 ish players in those leagues that got 15 or more goals last year. 

Jonathan David is about the only one that might be a shout, 22, double figures in the league for every pro season he has had, potential to grow and Lille finished mid table last year and I think might have money issues. But he'd be expensive and probably would want to join someone better than us.

Raul De Thomas is a wildcard option, good season last year for a poor Espanyol side, regular scorer in his career but 27 and still being linked with £30 million ish fees. 

I think realistically we just aren't going to pick someone up with a good goal record. 

Openda was cheap 😭

😁

Edit - I am fully aware that i've got it coming if Openda does awful at Lens 🙈 (all i'll say is he cost Similar to Aribo and had a better record than Broja did before joining).

Edited by Saint86

36 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

At the moment, i think Everton and Bombey should be in everyone's "favourites for the drop". They've had bad windows and can be expected to struggle. Unlikely saints are going to be near it imo. But you never know what will happen with injures etc.

We definitely will be right in it, because atm, it's 2 weeks til the start of the season and we don't have goals in the side. It's a big concern. But I think Ralph is a good enough manager to get a tune out of these players, as he has continued to do so over the years. We've made some decent signings, Bazunu and Lavia especially look class, but whether they'll be enough to keep us in the league we will see.

I still think we need major surgery in the attacking positions, because relying on Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Armstrong, Walcott and Redmond is clearly not the right thing to be doing. Formation will probably decide how many we need to have in each position, but IMO, we need an attacking midfielder better than all of those named above, and a striker better than Adams and Armstrong.

Forest are building quite a nice team, but might take some time to gel. Fulham and Bournemouth, can't imagine they'll be anything but relegation contenders, then you have Leeds, Brentford and Everton who may or may not be involved. Personally I think it's unlikely Palace, Brighton, Villa, Wolves will be sucked in. We're coming off some terrible form at the end of last season, and we only won 9 games all season. It could go either way, but with this squad, personally I don't see us finishing above 15th.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Also there were only about 6 ish players in those leagues (per league) that got 15 or more goals last year. 

It is certainly difficult to find 'Saintsy' strikers who are prolific at a reasonable price. I'm not sure Jonathan David is realistic though! Transfermarkt have him valued at £40.5m which is well out of our league! Martin Terrier on the other hand is valued at £22.5m but with Leeds and Liverpool rumoured to be interested in signing him we may struggle to sign him at that price.

One option that may be interesting other than Dembele, Cornet, Broja and Delap could be Jonathan Burkardt, who plays for Mainz and is a German U21 player. He is valued at £15.3m, so much closer to the price range you would expect Saints to be exploring. In his first season in the Bundesliga last year he scored 11 goals and you would expect a player of his age to improve upon that in his second season. Nevertheless, he has already been linked with Newcastle and has come out and said he wants to stay at Mainz, so I guess he is probably out of our reach.

All of this just brings us back to Dembele, Cornet, Broja and/or Delap... or maybe a gem that the club unearth that we have not as yet heard of!

6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We definitely will be right in it, because atm, it's 2 weeks til the start of the season and we don't have goals in the side. It's a big concern. But I think Ralph is a good enough manager to get a tune out of these players, as he has continued to do so over the years. We've made some decent signings, Bazunu and Lavia especially look class, but whether they'll be enough to keep us in the league we will see.

I still think we need major surgery in the attacking positions, because relying on Djenepo, Elyounoussi, Armstrong, Walcott and Redmond is clearly not the right thing to be doing. Formation will probably decide how many we need to have in each position, but IMO, we need an attacking midfielder better than all of those named above, and a striker better than Adams and Armstrong.

Forest are building quite a nice team, but might take some time to gel. Fulham and Bournemouth, can't imagine they'll be anything but relegation contenders, then you have Leeds, Brentford and Everton who may or may not be involved. Personally I think it's unlikely Palace, Brighton, Villa, Wolves will be sucked in. We're coming off some terrible form at the end of last season, and we only won 9 games all season. It could go either way, but with this squad, personally I don't see us finishing above 15th.

We will see how Ralph does this year because it’s been getting progressively worse with him in charge. Fingers crossed better coaches will have fill in the man management gap in Ralph’s skills, and stop him being so erratic or trying to be too clever. He ends up looking stupid most of the time when he does that. 

As for goals, it would be a very tough season ahead with the current strike force. Almost certainly relegation or very close to…but it seems that we are going to invest in a decent strike force. Needs to happen, and really should happen in the next week. It is not nearly enough yet. 

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Pre-transfer window I would have said we were almost certs for a relegation battle (we'd probably survive because I think there are weaker teams than us but nonetheless I think we'd have been at the wrong end of the table).

Now with the new additions I think we are largely an "unknown" quantity, mainly because we've addressed the issue that our team was crap at the end of last season by "strengthening" the spine - but with players that are young and that we don't know much about. If the new youngsters settle and we sign the extra players we need, we shouldn't have any issues with relegation at all. 

The window is far from over, but as it stands I can see Bournemouth and Fulham struggling again, Forest have done good business but they have signed a LOT of players that have to gel, then from last year's Prem lot you have to say that Everton and Leeds may struggle, Brentford have signed good players but could be there, and maybe someone completely unexpected like Wolves, Palace, Leicester, Brighton could be down there (though unlikely, I think of those Wolves may struggle).

10 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

From the Athletic, re: Palace

#ColwillWatch

image.jpeg.b618e819e8213ce7fecb4b5bf053df53.jpeg 

As they were meant to be "leading the race" for Colwill wonder what that means for them, sounds like a good signing so thats 3 very good centre backs on their books now. Wonder if they are no longer leading the race or will still look to bring him in before the window slams shut.

22 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Pre-transfer window I would have said we were almost certs for a relegation battle (we'd probably survive because I think there are weaker teams than us but nonetheless I think we'd have been at the wrong end of the table).

Now with the new additions I think we are largely an "unknown" quantity, mainly because we've addressed the issue that our team was crap at the end of last season by "strengthening" the spine - but with players that are young and that we don't know much about. If the new youngsters settle and we sign the extra players we need, we shouldn't have any issues with relegation at all. 

The window is far from over, but as it stands I can see Bournemouth and Fulham struggling again, Forest have done good business but they have signed a LOT of players that have to gel, then from last year's Prem lot you have to say that Everton and Leeds may struggle, Brentford have signed good players but could be there, and maybe someone completely unexpected like Wolves, Palace, Leicester, Brighton could be down there (though unlikely, I think of those Wolves may struggle).

Wolves signed Semedo from Barca for £28m, amongst others. Don't think they'll be too shabby. Brighton might struggle a bit if Potter goes to England or they don't get a goalscorer. Leicester don't seem to have done any good business, really, but Palace will be nowhere near relegation with their signings and management. Everton will sack Lampard half way through when they realise he's rubbish.

• Like 1

Just now, DT said:

Wolves signed Semedo from Barca for £28m, amongst others. Don't think they'll be too shabby. Brighton might struggle a bit if Potter goes to England or they don't get a goalscorer. Leicester don't seem to have done any good business, really, but Palace will be nowhere near relegation with their signings and management. Everton will sack Lampard half way through when they realise he's rubbish.

Completely agree. Lampard will be sacked first. Marsch will be gone before the end of the season. Maybe Brendan Rodgers too.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

It does make me laugh seeing these lads on Twitter freaking out about our lack of attacking signings and then saying we should be all over Dwight McNeil and Ross Barkley.

Dwight McNeill is decent but Ross Barkley, do me a favour.

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Dwight McNeill is decent but Ross Barkley, do me a favour.

I don't mind McNeil as a player but 38 games with 0 goals and 1 assist last year seems pretty much like the exact opposite to what we need.

Forest linked with Dennis now, he's one of the few names going around recently I'd hope we're in for.

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

I don't mind McNeil as a player but 38 games with 0 goals and 1 assist last year seems pretty much like the exact opposite to what we need.

Forest linked with Dennis now, he's one of the few names going around recently I'd hope we're in for.

Agreed, Dennis looks a decent player and had a decent record in a crap team.

18 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Completely agree. Lampard will be sacked first. Marsch will be gone before the end of the season. Maybe Brendan Rodgers too.

I'm actually convinced the Leeds manager is in fact Ted Lasso

• Haha 3

Hassenhutl will be if we don't pick any points up by November. The first eight games are tough, but they've backed him in the market so far, it's up to him now to get them ticking. If he's not gone by Christmas then I see him being here until the end of the season again.

If things were going belly up I reckon they'd push the panic button prior to the winter window.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Hassenhutl will be if we don't pick any points up by November. The first eight games are tough, but they've backed him in the market so far, it's up to him now to get them ticking. If he's not gone by Christmas then I see him being here until the end of the season again.

If things were going belly up I reckon they'd push the panic button prior to the winter window.

They haven't backed him properly until they bring in someone to put the ball in the net

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Turkish said:

As they were meant to be "leading the race" for Colwill wonder what that means for them, sounds like a good signing so thats 3 very good centre backs on their books now. Wonder if they are no longer leading the race or will still look to bring him in before the window slams shut.

Really good signing for them.

Apparently Leicester want Colwill too but have to sell first.  Brighton also want him and about to get a ton of cash in from Man City.

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

Perspective 

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I'm not sure why everyone has written off Delap, have I missed something? We reportedly had a bid turned down, but that says to me that we need to up the bid. I'm sure Rory will point his lad in the right direction.

It's not about writing him off, but he's hardly a proven goalscorer, outside of reserve games.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Professor said:

Confident the recruitment team will get a striker of the calibre needed, probably two.  If one is Dembele, that would suit us. 
As for Broja, based on last season, I can’t see him worth the silly money being written about. Hasn’t yet proved himself as a goal scorer. 

To be fair, if he had proved himself as a goalscorer he wouldnt be in the 20-30m price barcket

Impatient for a striker signing, but expect somethig out of the blue like the Ketchup guy. We badly need improvement up top.

Somehow I think we might get Ings back: not saying I want him, and it wouldn't be very 'Saintsy', but I just have a feeling somewhere inside.

Or it might be the sardines and eggs I had at lunch.

1 minute ago, Manuel said:

If they won't sell Delap, wouldn't a loan be a decent move for all involved?  

Do we really want another broja situation?

if we are going the youth direction we at least want to be making a profit on the players not just giving them a platform to raise price for parent. Clubs and then having to replace with another loan every year ?

24 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I'm not sure why everyone has written off Delap, have I missed something? We reportedly had a bid turned down, but that says to me that we need to up the bid. I'm sure Rory will point his lad in the right direction.

I'm not sure why do many people are so excited by his possible signing. Sure, he looks a talented lad, but he's a reserve player who can't make the England u19 team ahead of other kids who don't play first team football either. Compare that to Broja who was playing regular top flight football in Belgium, and for his country. If we signed a first team striker as starter and Delap in a permanent to develop I'd see the point, but if it were just him and/or we got him on loan I don't see the point.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Do we really want another broja situation?

if we are going the youth direction we at least want to be making a profit on the players not just giving them a platform to raise price for parent. Clubs and then having to replace with another loan every year ?

Yes, but if we can't get anyone permanent in, it might be a temporary solution.  

31 minutes ago, egg said:

I'm not sure why do many people are so excited by his possible signing. Sure, he looks a talented lad, but he's a reserve player who can't make the England u19 team ahead of other kids who don't play first team football either. Compare that to Broja who was playing regular top flight football in Belgium, and for his country. If we signed a first team striker as starter and Delap in a permanent to develop I'd see the point, but if it were just him and/or we got him on loan I don't see the point.

My nephew has played against Delap numerous times at youth / U23 level, and he reckons he is a similar type of player to Broja, but technically better.

He was absolutely spot on with his assessment of Tino this time last year, having played against him loads as well, so that's good enough for me.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Jesper Karlsson 

Needs to sort his hair out but in all fairness has a decent rep here.

https://breakingthelines.com/player-analysis/jesper-karlsson-will-this-az-alkmaar-product-buck-recent-trends/

When games are tight, Karlsson can often make the difference, whether it’s a typically-powerful shot from distance, or using his excellent close control to work some space for a cross. I have no doubt that Karlsson will go on to move to a bigger club than AZ in future, but what will hopefully set Karlsson apart the 23-year-old from other Eredivisie exports is his drive to improve in the way he has done for AZ already.”

licensed-image.jpeg

Edited by Convict Colony