Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

11 hours ago, DT said:

Twat

Jan Bednarek on his move to Aston Villa: "It’s really important for me to move to a bigger club and to improve as a player, and Villa is the best place for me to do that." #saintsfc

Villa are a bigger club than Saints. I dont see the problem with that. They are the major club the the nations 2nd city so their fanbase etc is much bigger. They are European winners as well as numerous FA cup winners.

They have done us a massive favour, and once Bednarek plays the way he does for us, those most wonderful of fans will soon show him how good they are.

As for his haircuts!!!!

1 minute ago, mitch01 said:

Good article on Bednarek in the Athletic.

It bothers me that people find it so easy just to dismiss the contribution of someone like him. He has been important for us for a number of years, basically since he volleyed the one in against Chelsea for Mark Hughes. It was time to move on and I'm glad we have, because our other CBs are more aggressive and I think will make us a better team overall, but there's nothing to suggest his attitude has been an issue. If anything the article suggests he's overly self-critical. Someone said he sarcastically clapped the fans at some point which is obviously a mistake, but it's one SKD made too and I know if I played football in front of thousands of people for years I would do something at least as bad and I consider myself to be mild-mannered. 

Thanks Jan!

I think he always worked hard and clearly cared. There was a period where he was starting to look really good, but that period didn't seem to last. Too many errors and when you look at Armella Bell-Kotchap you can see how inferior Jan is. Not too bothered about his comments, in fact not bothered at all.

Wouldn't be happy being a Villa fan this morning though. Seeing us shift Bednarek to them and replacing him with Caleta-Car!

• Like 1

All players do that anyway, talk up the new club, often talking BS.  Pretty much every Everton signing talks about what a big club they are and they have been crap for years and years.  It's all just PR nonsense for the fans.

Also 'big club' itself is largely nonsense, players generally care about money, playing in Europe and chance to win trophies. (and the level of the league they play)

Hence why you see players move from traditional 'big' European clubs, even ones playing the in Champs league for mid table PL clubs. 

Fans argue about the 'bigger club' nonsense, generally when they have nothing good to shout out about their club. 

9 minutes ago, mitch01 said:

Good article on Bednarek in the Athletic.

It bothers me that people find it so easy just to dismiss the contribution of someone like him. He has been important for us for a number of years, basically since he volleyed the one in against Chelsea for Mark Hughes. It was time to move on and I'm glad we have, because our other CBs are more aggressive and I think will make us a better team overall, but there's nothing to suggest his attitude has been an issue. If anything the article suggests he's overly self-critical. Someone said he sarcastically clapped the fans at some point which is obviously a mistake, but it's one SKD made too and I know if I played football in front of thousands of people for years I would do something at least as bad and I consider myself to be mild-mannered. 

Thanks Jan!

Brushed over him not wanting to play for us last season due to playing for Poland etc

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Villa are a bigger club than Saints. I dont see the problem with that. They are the major club the the nations 2nd city so their fanbase etc is much bigger. They are European winners as well as numerous FA cup winners.

They have done us a massive favour, and once Bednarek plays the way he does for us, those most wonderful of fans will soon show him how good they are.

As for his haircuts!!!!

I think we all get that Villa are a bigger club than us. What I don't want to hear is our players saying that they are. He is essentially still a club employee, he is only on loan to Villa. I think he needs to realise who gave him his break in the Premier League, and who has payed his wages for the last 4/5 years. It's disrespectful to us as a club.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think we all get that Villa are a bigger club than us. What I don't want to hear is our players saying that they are. He is essentially still a club employee, he is only on loan to Villa. I think he needs to realise who gave him his break in the Premier League, and who has payed his wages for the last 4/5 years. It's disrespectful to us as a club.

Fair point but do we need to be so worried about it, if he had said Derby, Ipswich, Norwich or the host of middle range clubs then I would react.

2 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Fair point but do we need to be so worried about it, if he had said Derby, Ipswich, Norwich or the host of middle range clubs then I would react.

I just find it annoying when you have a model pro like Oriel who has conducted himself brilliantly throughout his Saints career, saying a goodbye how it should be. I've always liked Bednerek, thought that some of the shit he got on here hasn't always been justified. Just leaves a bit of a sour taste when basically you are rubbishing your parent club.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Then Mara or AA will have to play there. It’ll be unfortunate, same as if Bazunu got a knock, but it’s not some tragedy which will get us relegated.

Time will tell on that one especially if che hits a poor patch of form or an injury, hopefully midfield chip in with enough goals 

14 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Yeah, he writes it as if he's outgrown us and the bigger club's swooped in for him.  Truth is he's lucky if he makes the bench these days.  

I suppose as a player you want to spin things as positively as you can...

Obviously we wanted to shift them, but Redmond & Theo will surely remain professional — & from a footballing perspective both will leave next summer.  Those savings in wages alone should cover a new attackers wages.

We will probably need them later in the season. Hopefully their experience will pay off with the younger lads, too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

My own thoughts fantastic window hats off to the  new owners and board 👌 👍 

I'm optimistic, excited and I'm getting ahead of myself when I say mid table is doable. 

The spine of the squad has been strengthened massively. 

Let's not underestimate our current attacking options either. Besides the Jan Windows will come round soon enough and the board obviously have targets in mind.

I watched the Chelsea game and I had this thought that the tide is turning. Chelsea in comparison just looked boring to watch like the wheels have fallen off with ownership etc.... 

I watched Saints and thought do you know what I wouldn't be surprised if this team surprises a few this season with how we perform and finish.

Our youth setup looks like it has some talent coming through aswell such as Doyle, Payne, Ballard, Jimmy Morgan, Edwards and Dibbling if he has returned 

What a time to be a Saints fan.

I'm excited 😊 

I thought that too, and I thought the same about Man Utd. They weren’t the sort of team that you would pay good money to watch.

17 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I just find it annoying when you have a model pro like Oriel who has conducted himself brilliantly throughout his Saints career, saying a goodbye how it should be. I've always liked Bednerek, thought that some of the shit he got on here hasn't always been justified. Just leaves a bit of a sour taste when basically you are rubbishing your parent club.

He's a player we don't want anymore and who has never been a world beater in the first place. Who cares what he says?

47 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

You're out by 180 degrees imo. He's talking up his new club. He ain't going to endear himself to Villa and their fans by saying "you're a Step backwards but I needed to move, so here I am" or similar, and he doesn't need to keep is sweet cos he ain't here anymore. 

If you're right that he's having a swipe at us, are you saying it's ok for fans to disrespect him and say he's shite, a manager to dump him, but that he can't be negative about the club? Too many thinned skin people in this world.

• Like 6

I know I don't post very often on here but I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed the last 48 ish hours on here, starting from the Chelsea game, through to the Gakpo saga ( and it was a saga) all the way through deadline day. I started watching skysports at work but i found it so irritating that I just sat on saintsweb instead. Some of you are hilarious. Thanks all for the entertainment.  Genuinely.

Regarding the squad, most of us see the same things. Shame we couldn't get that top notch forward, it would be such a rarity for us, but we are SO much stronger everywhere else. It's genuinely thrilling to feel that my club, after so many years of nonsense, is starting to run like a top flight club in terms of its intention to purchase some actual genuine talent.

And finally, on to the real saga of saintsweb. The MLG situation.  Ive never been one to " pile on ' to him. Neither have I ever attempted to engage him in conversation, for reasons that are surely obvious to most people but I can't help but notice that the site is a much calmer more pleasant place. I'm not sure why he chooses to approach people in the manner he does. Maybe he just doesn't realise how condescending his comments sound but there's no doubt if he can rein that in a little then he's an interesting contributor.  Otherwise........there's really no loss. As I say, the place is more harmonious without him. A couple of people even apologised to each other if their comments were misconstrued !! Love that.

Anyway, it's been a great week so far to be a saints fan. I think we deserve a bit of cheer. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

• Like 25

1 hour ago, trousers said:

I said 'focus on', not dwell, but anyway.... FWIW, I happen to think your views are well balanced but there are plenty who will only focus on the negatives and ignore the positives. (And, yes, there are those that do the opposite too, which is equally unbalanced). 

Fair enough that's a reasonable comment. I agree. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

I wonder if that Mail tweet last night saying we were favourites for Ross Barkley has any legs. He’s a free agent and so could still be signed. Not that I think he is at all a Saintsy signing but I wonder if there is any truth in that one…

Hope not

51 minutes ago, egg said:

You're out by 180 degrees imo. He's talking up his new club. He ain't going to endear himself to Villa and their fans by saying "you're a Step backwards but I needed to move, so here I am" or similar, and he doesn't need to keep is sweet cos he ain't here anymore. 

If you're right that he's having a swipe at us, are you saying it's ok for fans to disrespect him and say he's shite, a manager to dump him, but that he can't be negative about the club? Too many thinned skin people in this world.

Just a different view I guess. To my mind he doesn't need to say that he thinks Villa is a bigger club and he needs to play for a bigger club. I just think it's disrespectful as he is still under contract with us. I get that he probably won't ever play for us again, but rubbishing your employer when you still have a contract with them isn't particularly bright. Am not saying it's right that we as fans get on players backs etc, but when you say things like this, and do some of the other things that Beds has done over the last six months, it just sours the relationship even more.

• Like 1

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Just a different view I guess. To my mind he doesn't need to say that he thinks Villa is a bigger club and he needs to play for a bigger club. I just think it's disrespectful as he is still under contract with us. I get that he probably won't ever play for us again, but rubbishing your employer when you still have a contract with them isn't particularly bright. Am not saying it's right that we as fans get on players backs etc, but when you say things like this, and do some of the other things that Beds has done over the last six months, it just sours the relationship even more.

Indeed, different view, and I can see yours but I just didn't read what he said as a swipe at us, rather bigging up Villa. I hadn't appreciated until yesterday that he'd chosen not to play previously. Cos of that, and the drop of in performances, I'm glad he's gone. 

• Like 1

Still think we might terminate Walcott and possibly redmond. Neither of them have featured this season now with Edozie on board they’re even further down the pecking order. Both of them on big money so may well be in all our interested to agree a deal and let them find new clubs. We do seem to have some decent depth now aside from a true centre forward so they’re probably down to about 4th or 5th choice now. Plus with some of the younger players likely to feature in the cup they won’t even get a game there 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Still think we might terminate Walcott and possibly redmond. Neither of them have featured this season now with Edozie on board they’re even further down the pecking order. Both of them on big money so may well be in all our interested to agree a deal and let them find new clubs. We do seem to have some decent depth now aside from a true centre forward so they’re probably down to about 4th or 5th choice now. Plus with some of the younger players likely to feature in the cup they won’t even get a game there 

I think if we were going to terminate Redmond, so to speak, it would have happened yesterday when the bin rattlers wanted him for a fiver. I would think his agents work getting him a move in January starts now tbh. As for Theo ? God knows !

3 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I think if we were going to terminate Redmond, so to speak, it would have happened yesterday when the bin rattlers wanted him for a fiver. I would think his agents work getting him a move in January starts now tbh. As for Theo ? God knows !

Maybe, reports said we wanted a fee for Redmond. I don’t think he’s as bad as some make out, could do a job somewhere. Can either of them still move on loan? It does say quite a bit that 4 players who were first choice only a year ago we can’t get anyone else to buy.

Edited by Turkish

unsure if totally up to date

shameless stolen from elsewhere

Fbn90SNaIAEKKvh?format=jpg&name=medium

Top 15 highest spending leagues in this window

# competition Expenditure Income Balance
1 Premier League England Premier League €2.24bn €884.81m €-1,352.46m
2 Serie A Italy Serie A €749.23m €742.32m €-6.91m
3 Ligue 1 France Ligue 1 €557.95m €598.52m €40.57m
4 LaLiga Spain LaLiga €505.69m €453.25m €-52.44m
5 Bundesliga Germany Bundesliga €484.08m €528.74m €44.66m
6 Eredivisie Netherlands Eredivisie €176.99m €361.09m €184.10m
7 Liga Portugal Portugal Liga Portugal €169.85m €431.35m €261.50m
8 Jupiler Pro League Belgium Jupiler Pro League €114.78m €176.16m €61.39m
9 Süper Lig Turkey Süper Lig €99.92m €95.15m €-4.77m
10 Championship England Championship €88.05m €217.79m €129.74m
11 Premier Liga Russia Premier Liga €72.67m €56.69m €-15.99m
12 Liga MX Apertura Mexico Liga MX Apertura €71.87m €33.13m €-38.75m
13 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A Brazil Campeonato Brasileiro Série A €64.23m €92.99m €28.76m
14 Serie B Italy Serie B €61.67m €77.96m €16.29m
15 Major League Soccer United States Major League Soccer €47.41m €51.76m €4.36m

I think Nottingham Forest would have been the 8th highest spending league in the world

Chelsea would be 6th.

2022 Summer Transfers

Arsenal - 5 - £112.85m - Turner (£4.85m), Marquinhos (£3m), Vieira (£30m), Jesus (£45m), Zinchenko (£30m)
Aston Villa - 7 - £58.8m - Coutinho (£17m), Kamara (free), Carlos (£26m), Olsen (£2.8m), Augustinsson (loan), Dendoncker (£13m), Bednarek (loan)
Bournemouth - 6 - £20.5m - Fredericks (free), Rothwell (free), Taverner (£10m), Neto (free), Senesi (£10.5m), Stevens (loan)

Brentford - 5 - £42.7m - Hickey (£14m), Lewis-Potter (£16m), Strakosha (free), Mee (free), Damsgaard (£12.7m)

Brighton - 5 - £37.9m - Enciso (£9.5m), Adingra (£6m), Colwill (loan), Estupinan (£14.9m), Gilmour (£7.5m)
Chelsea - 8 - £242.8m - Sterling (£47.5m), Koulibaly (£33m), Slonina (£12m), Chukwuemeka (£15m), Cucurella (£55m), Fofana (£70m), Aubameyang (£10.3m), Zakaria (loan)
Crystal Palace - 4 - £26.5m - Ebiowei (fee to be agreed), Johnstone (free), Doucoure (£18m), Richards (£8.5m)
Everton - 8 - £76.5m - Tarkowski (free), Vinagre (loan), McNeil (£20m), Coady (loan), Onana (£30.5m), Maupay (£15m), Gueye (£2m), Garner (£9m)
Fulham - 10 - £60.7m - Palhinha (£17m), Pereira (£10m), Mbabu (£6.4m), Leno (£8m), Duffy (loan), Diop (£15m), Kurzawa (loan), Willian (free), Vinicius (£4.3m), James (loan)

Leeds - 8 - £87.6m - Aaronson (£22.2m), Kristensen (£10m), Roca (£10m), Adams (£15m), Sinisterra (£21.5m), Gyabi (£5m), Robles (free), Gnonto (£3.9m
Leicester - 2 - £15m - Smithies (free), Faes (£15m)
Liverpool - 4 - £77.5m - Carvalho (£5m), Nunez (£64.3m), Ramsey (£4.2m), Melo (£4m loan)
Man City - 5 - £119.2m - Haaland (£51.1m), Moreno (free), Phillips (£42m), Gomez (£11m), Akanji (£15.1m)
Man Utd - 6 - £202.4m - Malacia (£13m), Eriksen (free), Martinez (£46.1m), Casemiro (£60m), Antony (£81.3m), Dubravka (£2m loan)
Newcastle - 4 - £108.2m - Targett (£12m), Pope (£10m), Botman (£31m), Isak (£55.2m)

Nottingham Forest - 20 - £142.3m - Awoniyi (£17m), Henderson (loan), Biancone (£5m), Niakhate (£8.5m), Richards (£8.5m), Williams (£17m), Hennessey (free), O'Brien & Toffolo (£10m combined), Lingard (free), Mangala (£12.7m), Kouyate (free), Dennis (£20m), Freuler (£8.5m), Gibbs-White (£25m), Hwang (£3.6m),  Lodi (£4.5m loan), Boly (£2m), Bowler (£4m), Bade (loan)

Southampton - 10 - £76.6m - Bazunu (£12m), Lis (free), Bella-Kotchap (£8.6m), Lavia (£10.5m), Aribo (£6m), Mara (£9.5m), Edozie (£8m), Larios (£6m), Maitland-Niles (loan), Caleta Car (£8m)
Tottenham - 8 - £145m -  Perisic (free), Forster (free), Bissouma (£25m), Romero (£42.5m), Richarlison (£50m), Lenglet (loan), Spence (£12.5m), Udogie (£15m)

West Ham - 8 - £157.55m - Aguerd (£30m), Areola (£7.75m), Downes (£12m), Scamacca (£30.5m), Cornet (£17.5m), Kehrer (£10.1m) Palmieri (£13m), Paqueta (£36.7m)
Wolves - 5 - £101m - Collins (£20.5m), Guedes (£27.5m), Nunes (£38m), Kalajdzic (£15m), Traore (loan)

Total Signings: 138
Total Spend: £1,907,600,000

Atletico Madrid - 4 - €16.5m - Witsel (free), Lina (€6.5m), Molina (€10m), Reguilon (loan)
Barcelona - 6 - €153m - Kessie (free), Christensen (free), Raphinha (€58m), Lewandowski (€45m), Kounde (€50m), Bellerin (free)
Real Madrid - 2 - €80m - Rudiger (free), Tchouameni (€80m)
AC Milan - 5 - €44.2m - Florenzi (€2.7m), Origi (free), Messias (€4.5m), de Ketelaere (€32m), Thiaw (€5m)
Inter Milan - 8 - €55m - Onana (free), Gosens (€15m), Mkhitaryan (free), Correa (€25m), Lukaku (€8m loan), Asllani (€4m loan), Bellanova (€3m loan), Acerbi (loan)
Juventus - 8 - €102.5m - Chiesa (€40m), Cambiaso (€8.5m), di Maria (free), Pogba (free), Bremer (€41m), Kostic (€12m), Milik (€1m loan), Paredes (loan)
Bayern Munich - 5 - €137.5m - Mazraoui (free), Gravenberch (€18.5m), Mane (€32m), de Ligt (€67m), Tel (€20m)
Dortmund - 7 - €91.1m - Sule (free), Schlotterbeck (€20m), Adeyemi (€30m), Ozcan (€5m), Meyer (free), Haller (€31m), Modeste (€5.1m)
RB Leipzig - 4 - €58m - Blaswich (free), Schlager (€12m), Raum (€26m), Werner (€20m)
PSG - 7 - €139m - Mendes (€38m), Vitinha (€41.5m), Ekitike (loan), Mukiele (€10m), Sanches (€10m), Ruiz (€21.5m), Soler (€18m)

Edited by le_tiss
  • Like 1

There’s definitely been something rumbling behind the scenes to make the mail grab hold of the idea that there is discontent in the dressing room several weeks back… redmond who let’s face it has always been involved in match squads is nowhere near playing this season and bednareks reaction to being subbed at Tottenham was full toys out of pram moment. We will never know the truth but there’s rarely smoke without fire and if the hierarchy have decided that it’s time for certain individuals to leave with due haste good on them. All we can look for is subtle digs at our club when they join a new one to establish who might have been unhappy and leaking to the press. Beyond speculation, good on the club for dealing with the disharmony swiftly and efficiently and replacing the attitude and belief in the squad with a positivity that’s so reversed from the last few seasons we are now regularly winning games from behind instead of losing from in front!

Edited by Mallagroth
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mallagroth said:

There’s definitely been something rumbling behind the scenes to make the mail grab hold of the idea that there is discontent in the dressing room several weeks back… redmond who let’s face it has always been involved in match squads is nowhere near playing this season and bednareks reaction to being subbed at Tottenham was full toys out of pram moment. We will never know the truth but there’s rarely smoke without fire and if the hierarchy have decided that it’s time for certain individuals to leave with due haste good on them. All we can look for is subtle digs at our club when they join a new one to establish who might have been unhappy and leaking to the press. Beyond speculation, good on the club for dealing with the disharmony swiftly and efficiently and replacing the attitude and belief in the squad with a positivity that’s so reversed from the last few seasons we are now regularly winning games from behind instead of losing from in front!

Maybe a tad early to go with this...

Performances have definitely improved with the new signings coming in following the shit shower at Spuds using mainly last seasons squad.

46 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I wonder if that Mail tweet last night saying we were favourites for Ross Barkley has any legs. He’s a free agent and so could still be signed. Not that I think he is at all a Saintsy signing but I wonder if there is any truth in that one…

44 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Hope not

Seconded.

I don't think even being cast adrift at Chelsea will add any humility to his attitude - big hullaballoo when he went to Chelsea then became a bit part player and hasn't worked out how to get himself into a better position. 

1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

Seconded.

I don't think even being cast adrift at Chelsea will add any humility to his attitude - big hullaballoo when he went to Chelsea then became a bit part player and hasn't worked out how to get himself into a better position. 

I'm not aware of any attitude but he's just not an intelligent player IMO. Will never be able to fulfill his potential for that reason

Just now, John Boy Saint said:

Seconded.

I’m inclined to agree, the only positive performances I’ve seen in recent years were during his Villa loan.

Strange link given our model.

30 minutes ago, Mallagroth said:

Probably some of the old guard stropping as they can see their time is coming to an end. They haven’t looked like a team not playing for the manager in recent weeks. A clear out was needed, we’ve had a lot of players been here a long time not really delivering. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Seconded.

10 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

I’m inclined to agree, the only positive performances I’ve seen in recent years were during his Villa loan.

Strange link given our model.

Strange thing for me was that despite his performances there  Villa didn't want to keep him Thought that was quite telling.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chewy said:

I’m really torn on assessing the window; for every part of the pitch and squad except one we’ve done excellent work. 
Most of the (expensive) deadwood is gone, and more will be at the end of the season; we’ve added exciting youth everywhere; we’ve strengthened the leaky defence; we’ve added pace; we’ve added height and strength; we’ve kept all of our exciting talent except for Dibling … who’s now back. 
So much to be happy with.

But two points off for me for not addressing the glaring issue everyone identified. I fully appreciate the club tried but ultimately we’ve missed big time. I’m delighted Adams is currently on form - I really like him and want him to do well - but he’s hardly prolific.

Since Broja stopped scoring mid season we’ve been woeful in front of goal, and since then until a week ago our form has been nailed-on relegation form. Literally dreadful.

The defence is better, we should create more and own games more so we can’t compare exactly, but not getting a striker is a very significant and reasonable concern to have.

The relative lack of games until January helps this season so hopefully we’re not exposed for too long, but it’s a gig enough issue for me to mark an otherwise exceptional window as 8/10.

Pretty much how I see the window - very positive overall but a big risk if Adams gets injured or goes off the boil. Hopefully with only 13 games until January we avoid that and the strengthened defence should help. We look tighter at the back than last season and before that. 

4 hours ago, trousers said:

I think one positive to come out of the 'not getting Gakpo' situation is that Adams now knows that he's the no.1 striker until the next window. I've often felt his sometimes below par performances have come from dented confidence levels due to being played out of position and/or dropped to the bench. Now he's the 'main man', and the formation change suits him, I think that'll do his confidence a world of good and we'll start to see some consistency that wasn't there before. Almost like a new signing you could say... (as they say in cliché land... Are you still keeping count Hypo? :) )

I wonder how much truth was in the rumor of him leaving this window when we were hunting for a new starting striker? I thought Broja pisssed both AA and especially Che off last year. A kid loaner that became greedy and didn't score was still getting game time over the southampton players. WTF, would have been my attitude.  We didn't get a new striker, and actually tried to get a winger at record price who would have been less of a threat and more of asset to our existing strikers.

I agree now they know they are the main guys, they both seem to be playing better and seem eager to prove they can deliver. Let's support our new look team, including the maligned Moi, Dj and Diallo who are all proving to be good players and giving their all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Would we not have had to agree the termination before the window shut? Thought they seemed to be implying that yesterday during transfer deadline radio commentary.

2 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

And finally, on to the real saga of saintsweb. The MLG situation.  Ive never been one to " pile on ' to him. Neither have I ever attempted to engage him in conversation, for reasons that are surely obvious to most people but I can't help but notice that the site is a much calmer more pleasant place. I'm not sure why he chooses to approach people in the manner he does. Maybe he just doesn't realise how condescending his comments sound but there's no doubt if he can rein that in a little then he's an interesting contributor.  Otherwise........there's really no loss. As I say, the place is more harmonious without him. A couple of people even apologised to each other if their comments were misconstrued !! Love that.

I dont know MLG , but we have to understand there are people out there he contribute who may have issues such as autism, I notice a poster said they did yesterday. I have a business friend who has Asperger's and life is very difficult at times. Therefore IF a poster seems full on perhaps we should actually sit back and show some understanding, we are behind computers afterall!

I suggest there are a lot on here who believe they are major personalities and feel superior to the rest of us mortals. To me MLG should come back and be welcomed, you dont have to read his posts. I only glance at most posts, and suspect most wot read this either Lol 

• Like 22

1 hour ago, Mallagroth said:

It’s 100% true, heard it first hand from a first team player. 

In the main, the discontent was from those who ain’t really good enough for us anyway… since they’ve stopped playing, it’s been noticible.

• Like 1

Just now, skintsaint said:

14m for Adams. They took the piss.

Had to lower their offer to help pay for their dugouts. No doubt they have built a monument to the fact they were the first club to have them, although there was a spate of bus shelters going missing at the time. 

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Is anyone able to post this, for non athletic subscribers?

Southampton’s transfer window: Maitland-Niles, Caleta-Car and a very busy last month

Jacob Tanswell
Sep 2, 2022

As the window neared its conclusion, Southampton’s head of recruitment Joe Shields could often be seen walking around the Staplewood campus with a phone glued to his ear.

Throughout the summer, Ralph Hasenhuttl’s squad had been in a state of flux, with several moving parts… well, not actually moving.

Southampton did not receive an offer for any player in June or July, leaving a number of those the club were open to letting go in limbo.

Hasenhuttl wanted to streamline his squad while strengthening key positions. He sought a versatile full-back and a striker who could transform Southampton in attack. It was no coincidence, in his opinion, that the best spells of his tenure have always coincided with a clinical forward leading the line.

Earlier this summer, it had been mentioned that Southampton were willing to move past the £20million ($23.1m) mark and the club-record fee paid for Danny Ings in 2019 should the right calibre of attacker be available.

Southampton stepped up attempts in the final weeks of the window.

On August 9, Sport Republic co-founder and Southampton director Rasmus Ankersen flew to Denmark to watch his former club FC Midtjylland face Benfica in the second leg of their third-round Champions League qualifier.

That evening, Ankersen spoke to Benfica’s president Rui Costa over the possibility of signing forward Goncalo Ramos. It is thought Ankersen wanted to work out the parameters of a deal in view of a potential bid.

Sources in Portugal say Benfica were keen to sell the 21-year-old for a fee considerable enough to reinvest into the squad. Their thinking, in part, was influenced by another forward on their books, Henrique Araujo, who is a year younger and internally regarded as the better prospect.

However, one source involved in brokering deals across Europe told The Athletic that Ramos has a release clause of €50million (£43m, €49.74) in his existing contract. That, though, is believed to protect his value should he develop over subsequent seasons rather than being a realistic price now.

Southampton baulked at the potential cost of a deal for Ramos (Photo: Adam Nurkiewicz/Getty Images)

Despite reports elsewhere suggesting negotiations were advanced, any deal for Ramos to move to the Premier League  Newcastle and Wolves also held talks — were only likely to materialise in the final week of the window. Ramos is thought to still have a good relationship with Wolves boss Bruno Lage, having worked together in Benfica’s B-team during the 2018-19 season.

Ankersen also led talks to sign PSV Eindhoven’s Cody Gakpo earlier this summer and had an initial bid turned down for the 23-year-old.

It reached the point where Southampton thought they had met the asking price, believed to be in the region of £30million (€34.8), and those with knowledge of the deal expressed confidence Southampton would ultimately get an agreement in place.

But a delegation from Leeds, led by director of football Victor Orta, offered a more lucrative package than Southampton and ultimately it was decided that Gakpo would remain in the Netherlands. There is now hope Gakpo will sign a new contract at PSV.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles has been a long-standing target of Southampton. They first came close to securing a loan deal in January 2021, only for the Arsenal player to join West Bromwich Albion instead. West Brom’s pitch, in which they promised him game time in his favoured position of central midfield as opposed to full-back, was seen a determining factor.

It is, however, thought Maitland-Niles’ stance has since relaxed and he is prepared to play full-back if circumstances necessitate.

Southampton, ideally, wanted a player who could operate at both left and right-back and Maitland-Niles fits the bill. He was viewed as a reliable presence in Hasenhuttl’s squad, especially when there may be uncertainty as to how Tino Livramento comes back following such a lengthy absence. Significantly, Maitland-Niles would also provide ample midfield cover to compensate for Oriol Romeu’s departure.

Southampton have tracked Maitland-Niles for a long time (Photo: Matt Watson/Southampton FC via Getty Images)

Given Hasenhuttl’s optimal squad size is between 18-20 first-team players, with the rest supplemented by promising talent from the B team, Southampton still had to shift players on. At the start of August, they had 27 in the senior squad, including six senior centre-backs. Hasenhuttl later publicly accepted he had an excess of centre-backs, felt keenly by the club wanting to strengthen in that position.

Talks were held over signing Conor Coady before his loan move to Everton from Wolves. Southampton’s hierarchy also asked about the possibility of signing Tyrone Mings when he was left out of Aston Villa’s starting XI in their opening-day defeat away to Bournemouth.

Jan Bednarek and Jack Stephens were made available for sale all summer, with both attracting interest in the final month. Having initially viewed Bednarek as the defender likely to generate the most money, Southampton were in dialogue with Villa over a loan move before West Ham United’s proposal of a permanent deal came close to an agreement.

Ultimately, Bednarek decided to join Villa and travelled up to the Midlands for his medical on Thursday afternoon. He completed a season-long loan with an option to buy.

Stephens, meanwhile, held talks with Championship outfit Watford, but they broke down in the final week. There was hope a deal could be resurrected should one of Watford’s centre-backs depart. In the end, Stephens joined Bournemouth, attending their goalless draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Wednesday night before undergoing his medical the next morning. The defender joined on a season-long loan with no option to buy.

Since signing last summer, there is an acceptance on Lyanco’s side that he has experienced challenges in adapting to the Premier League but was understood to have had his heart set on staying at the club and playing in the top flight.

With one year left on his deal, Yan Valery’s exit was not being ruled out on the morning of the final day of the window. The player sought regular game time and was inside the final year of his contract at St Mary’s. The defender travelled to France later on Thursday to complete a medical at Ligue One side Angers before joining on a permanent basis.

Marseille defender Duje Caleta-Car, in the meantime, was heading in the other direction. Caleta-Car has been the subject of interest from several Premier League clubs in recent years, with Wolves among his long-term admirers. The total package of Southampton’s deal to sign the defender, who was in the final year of his contract at Marseille, is worth between £12-15million.

Caleta-Car was a deadline-day signing from Marseille (Photo: Matt Watson/Southampton FC via Getty Images)

Ibrahima Diallo was another the club were willing to listen to proposals for and Southampton would look to have replaced the midfielder had he left. But any move was thwarted when La Liga side Girona were prepared to offer Romeu a three-year contract.

Girona’s pursuit of the 30-year-old was hastened following two lengthy injuries to midfielders Yangel Herrera and Ramon Terrats at the weekend. A return to Spain close to his home in Catalonia was thought to have appealed to Romeu and Southampton were reluctant to stand in his way.

Earlier in the week, the two teams were some way apart in agreeing terms for the midfielder but Southampton’s acquisition of Manchester City pair Samuel Edozie and Juan Larios helped the deal get over the line, with Girona under the City Football Group umbrella.

Theo Walcott’s future had been in doubt for most of the summer, with a departure only likely to transpire towards the end of the window when the player obtained a clearer overview of his status under Hasenhuttl. Walcott’s experience is seen as a valuable contributor and he was always content to stay should no transfer be finalised.

Sources close to Walcott vehemently denied Cardiff City’s interest after reports surfaced on the morning of deadline day. A viable approach from West Brom did arrive later on, with a season-long loan discussed.

Another winger whose future was up in the air going into the final day was Nathan Redmond. Southampton had been keen to offload the wide player, with Hasenhuttl omitting him from the previous five matchdays squad. Both parties sought a resolution.

The Athletic reported Wolves were among the teams interested in signing Redmond, with the player able to help fulfil their homegrown quota. However, the possibility a deal could be done appeared remote and was likely dependent on Hwang Hee-chan leaving Molineux.

Other clubs in Europe also expressed an interest in taking Redmond on the final day but talks were still in their preliminary stages in the afternoon. Bournemouth, having secured Stephens, began making enquiries about the 28-year-old.

With Bournemouth unable to loan another player from the same side, the question then centred on whether Southampton would terminate Redmond’s contract or if the buying club would pay a fee for him. There proved to be too many hurdles to overcome and from Southampton’s side, the move was called dead in the water.

A week before the window closed, Hasenhuttl insisted for the first time this summer that Che Adams was not for sale. The club had previously been willing to sell the forward, and were described as wanting “a change of direction”.

Everton had initially explored a loan-to-buy approach for Adams, but Southampton made it clear they would only countenance a permanent offer. Frank Lampard advocated the signing of Adams and saw him as a capable foil and deputy to Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

This led to Everton having a £14million bid rejected for Adams. Southampton were unprepared to lower their asking price and, signalled by Hasenhuttl’s comments, decided to draw a line under the matter. Everton lined up alternative targets such as Neal Maupay, which was seen to be the more straightforward deal to do.

Southampton’s summer finished how it started — proactive, youthful and a clear desire to reinvigorate an outdated squad.

• Like 10