Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

I’d love to know the stats for us giving the ball away. Simply appalling Saints. Diallo and Tella are particularly poor. 
Broja not in the game because he’s lacking one crucial thing - the ball. No one can pass the ball to him. Our midfield is just so weak and ineffective without Romeu in it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dorchester Saint said:

The entitled whinging from some of you ballbags is embarrassing, it’s 1-1 at half time v one of the top teams in world football. Yes we’ll probably lose, but right now it’s 1-1 ffs!! 

They have most of their first 11 out, we are not really competing. 

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Tella far too weak physically at this level. Just gets brushed off the ball every time.

he cant control the ball either. I am starting to think he simply isn't good enough and isn't going to `make it' at this level. He was shockingly bad against Palace. No better here. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dorchester Saint said:

The entitled whinging from some of you ballbags is embarrassing, it’s 1-1 at half time v one of the top teams in world football. Yes we’ll probably lose, but right now it’s 1-1 ffs!! 

sure, but this Liverpool 11 isn't one of the top teams in world football. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vectraman said:

I’d love to know the stats for us giving the ball away. Simply appalling Saints. Diallo and Tella are particularly poor. 
Broja not in the game because he’s lacking one crucial thing - the ball. No one can pass the ball to him. Our midfield is just so weak and ineffective without Romeu in it. 

Where IS Romeu?

• Confused 1

We've been terrible and look scared of them.

Diallo and JWP never works so I don't know why Ralph is trying it again, maybe Romeu is off and Diallo is his replacement? 😬

Would get Tella off at half time, im not really sure what he's shown to be so highly rated by the club. 

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Absolutely hate our formation. Just set up to allow them constant overloads and hope they can't finish. Get Romeu on and go 4-5-1 pls.

the formation has limited space for their forwards, which is much needed. I'd be tempted to stick with it, but get Tella and Diallo off. See if Romeu can shift us up the pitch a bit with the better ball retention.

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They have most of their first 11 out, we are not really competing. 

You’re one of the bed wetters I was referring to, their reserves easily cost a lot more than our first team, it’s just the way it’s always been. Wipe your fanny and temper your expectations. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Him and Tella - not made a tackle and when you are playing the type of game we are we need them to get some tackles in.

Personally i blame the formation, too many CB's not enough Mids. They are constantly being asked to mark two players by shuttling to them whenever they get the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Half time songs going with a royal theme.

God Save The Queen but Sex Pistols

Now it's that fucking terrible Two Princes song, can't remember who sings it, I've blanked it out.

Spin Doctors? Or did they do Breakfast at Tiffany’s? I forget my 90’s, soft rock, one hit wonders.

"Adam Lallana

Ex-Liverpool and Southampton midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

Klopp will be delighted with how Liverpool are playing. They're showing all the right signs. Hopefully they can keep progressing and have a chance or two before the break."

No suprise to see where Nivea boy's loyalties are....

We are simply terrified of them, afraid to push forward and compete. They are strolling through us unopposed and we need to toughen up, get stuck in and start trying to get more players up the pitch. If we lose we lose but let's have a go at them. Imagine what their full side would have done to us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

You’re one of the bed wetters I was referring to, their reserves easily cost a lot more than our first team, it’s just the way it’s always been. Wipe your fanny and temper your expectations. 

We are not even competing. We have competed against more expensive teams than the one we are facing right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don’t think we’ve done too bad. Logged in at half time and I’m genuinely shocked at the negativity on here. They’ve played well, nice and tidy, but we’ve defended ok. Don’t really see what else we can do apart from hang tough and hit them on the break.   

Id take level at HT every day of the fucking week

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

27 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Forster saves that annoyingly.

I scrolled back at half time waiting for some chumps to slate McCarthy for not saving a shot he probably barely saw. I'm sat right by it, he fucking leathered it.

Some people on here are unreal.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Saints foreva said:

We've been terrible and look scared of them.

This side compared to the team that came up (and the one under Poch) that went toe to toe with all the big sides. We just don't have players in midfield able to keep the ball.

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Redmonds initial shot was going straight at the keeper, it was the deflection that puts it in the top corner. That makes much more sense.

TBF a lot of goals take a slight nick but yeah no way was that going in without the deflection. "A brilliant shot" according to Redknapp though.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

I scrolled back at half time waiting for some chumps to slate McCarthy for not saving a shot he probably barely saw. I'm sat right by it, he fucking leathered it.

Some people on here are unreal.

Forster is a man mountain, he saves shots like that all the time just by virtue of his size. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

the formation has limited space for their forwards, which is much needed. I'd be tempted to stick with it, but get Tella and Diallo off. See if Romeu can shift us up the pitch a bit with the better ball retention.

But by massively overloading in terms of CB most of the time it allows their other players massive overloads all over the pitch. Romeu would make little difference in a like for like swap. He'd be chasing shadows like the current mids

I'd keep Tella on, he's got the pace on the break. Played ok when we've actually had the ball (lovely cross field pass to KWP, got in position when Broja was too ball greedy to pass the ball until he'd run down a cul de sac etc.

I'd get Romeu on and move to a flat back 4.

I just don't see the point in us being so feebly passive and waiting for the inevitable one or two goal defeat. It's a meaningless game for us - why are we playing with the handbrake on? What are we scared of?

At least lose having a fucking go.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Forster is a man mountain, he saves shots like that all the time just by virtue of his size. 

I don't care how much you dislike Mccarthy, Forster aint saving that.

• Like 2

Are Saints really going to finish the season at home with this sort of lacklustre display? I know it's Liverpool but it's very much a second string. Saints unable to string more than a couple of passes together. Players just going through the motions. Doesn't bode well at all.

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t think we’ve done too bad. Logged in at half time and I’m genuinely shocked at the negativity on here. They’ve played well, nice and tidy, but we’ve defended ok. Don’t really see what else we can do apart from hang tough and hit them on the break.   

Id take level at HT every day of the fucking week

I think it’s the manor in which we’ve approached the game tbh. As someone said, it’s like we’re a L2 side playing a top PL side in the 3rd round of the FA cup. 

That being said, had we gone out full guns blazing and shipped 5 I would be the first to moan. Should we hang on to a point, you’d have to say fair play to Ralph but they are/were there for the taking. We’re letting them look good by affording the freedom of the city to knock the ball about. 

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

But by massively overloading in terms of CB most of the time it allows their other players massive overloads all over the pitch. Romeu would make little difference in a like for like swap. He'd be chasing shadows like the current mids

I'd keep Tella on, he's got the pace on the break. Played ok when we've actually had the ball (lovely cross field pass to KWP, got in position when Broja was too ball greedy to pass the ball until he'd run down a cul de sac etc.

I'd get Romeu on and move to a flat back 4.

You might be right about the need for a formation change, but I disagree more about Tella. he's been poor. Even that crossfield pass was crap and only KWP's pace saved it. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic