Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

16 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Is this the real reason ? 

John Gibbons from Liverpool fan podcast The Anfield Wrap said he was "surprised" the booing became front page news.

"It happened at the Carabao Cup final a few months ago and it happened in 2012 [FA Cup final] when we played the same opposition," he told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"What I would say to anyone buying these headlines is maybe look into why Liverpool fans act this way, why they feel a disconnect from the country and disconnect from a royal family sat on gold thrones telling people they are going to have tough times ahead.

"It's something Liverpool fans feel strongly about. It's a city that wants to be vocal about how we think this country should be and how we should live in a fairer society."

Gibbons called on people who criticised the protest to "maybe come up to Liverpool and speak to people and visit the food banks and see how some people in this city are struggling

And why is Liverpool different to the rest of the country? 
There is also an awful lot of wealth in Liverpool too. Yes I have been there lots of times. 
Liverpool is not a special case.

• Like 4

what's Liverpool record like without Sala? He's obviously been a tremendous player for them, so it goes without saying that they are better with him in the side, than not, but whenever he doesn't play, they seem to be a hell of a lot less scary.

They still have players that win games of course, but when things are tight, its often him that scores out of nothing. 

I guess the same question applies to Van Dijk. He doesn't miss too many games, but are they vulnerable without him?

yeah, I'm daring to think we might do something. Why not? Until we kick off its 0-0 and all to play for.

• Like 2

Irrelevant really, because they may not have played without Salah, but they now have Diaz as a replacement. Jota, Firmino, Origi.  Sure they have others as aswell that I haven't thought about.

But, gives us a better chance without a doubt, if Mane, Salah, VVD and TAA haven't even travelled, which is what I have heard too.

42 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm dreading this. I'm honestly scared that it could be double figures.

I felt like that after Brentford but now I go into tonight with hope and thinking we can win this.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

what's Liverpool record like without Sala? He's obviously been a tremendous player for them, so it goes without saying that they are better with him in the side, than not, but whenever he doesn't play, they seem to be a hell of a lot less scary.

They still have players that win games of course, but when things are tight, its often him that scores out of nothing. 

I guess the same question applies to Van Dijk. He doesn't miss too many games, but are they vulnerable without him?

yeah, I'm daring to think we might do something. Why not? Until we kick off its 0-0 and all to play for.

They are still extremely strong without those players, still much stronger than most of the teams we have lost or drawn to over recent weeks. If we do raise our game to get something out of this, that in itself raises  questions given our run of abject performances.

5 hours ago, warsash saint said:

Due to late change of plans I am now looking for a ticket if anyone has a spare  - cant justify £70 though 😬

You’ll get your monies worth at a tenner a goal - even better if our default annual score line is achieved £7.70

Ooops forgot the 😀😆🤣😂😜🤪🥴😡😂😁🤪😜

Edited by John Boy Saint

10 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

They are still extremely strong without those players, still much stronger than most of the teams we have lost or drawn to over recent weeks. If we do raise our game to get something out of this, that in itself raises  questions given our run of abject performances.

a `backs against the wall' display against a top side can often look better than a `toothless' display against a far lessor team. Expectations are much lower, so when you don't touch the ball for five minutes, never mind create a chance, no one is moaning.  After Brentford though, any kind of performance would probably look good.

We should not forget that Liverpool are possibly the best side in the world right now. They have spent a few bob putting the side together and their wage bill is three times ours. It's very much like playing a side from a different division when you come up agains these CL teams

• Like 1

We beat them 1-0 with Stephens, Diallo, Djenepo and Walcott starting with N'Lundulu, Valery and Tella coming off the bench. I remember Valery especially helped us to see out the game. They had the front three of Firmino, Salah and Mane, so anything's possible tonight. Of course, we'll either grind out a small victory, or get smashed, as is the Southampton way. No in between.

• Like 1

'We're looking forward to Southampton getting smashed this evening - yep, it's gonna happen' - Goldstein on TalkSport just now. The twonk. Might be true but hate hearing it from him

Just now, DT said:

'We're looking forward to Southampton getting smashed this evening - yep, it's gonna happen' - Goldstein on TalkSport just now. The twonk. Might be true but hate hearing it from him

I  massively prefer him to the whingey, whiney, wokey, wankey, angry, Adrian Durham to be fair.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, captainchris said:

And why is Liverpool different to the rest of the country? 
There is also an awful lot of wealth in Liverpool too. Yes I have been there lots of times. 
Liverpool is not a special case.

Always the victims should be in the sign post into the city Ffs 

• Like 3

With just two games left of this season, Southampton are running out of time to stage their annual 9-0 drubbing: a wonderful festival of fun that sits nicely alongside Monty Python and The Fiver as one of this country’s finest comedic traditions, oozing in both slapstick and classic British self depreciation. 

made me laugh from today's guardian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Man City are four points ahead of them so if we beat them tonight they cannot make up the difference and City will win the League title.

What a lovely thought.

Even if we hold them to a draw it's all but over, they'd have to make up a 7 goal difference on City going into the final game against a team that's conceded less goals than anyone else outside the top 4. 

1 hour ago, Tanlee said:

Hopefully Ralph doesn't embarrass us and  himself again.....by crying 

He’s welcome to publicly shit himself in the centre circle of the pitch if we win or get a point tonight, and he won’t face criticism from me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Not really sure what that is.  Salisu at LB?  3 at the back with Tella at LWB?  

Ditto. Perhaps Redmond LWB? Could also be Stephens at LB. Odd nonetheless.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic