Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

On 15/05/2022 at 14:37, Sarisbury Saint said:

After the despicable booing of Prince William and the national anthem (again) by the low life scousers yesterday, I would forgive Ralph for everything if we beat those self pitying tossers.

Calm down. Lot of pissed off people in Liverpool because of  the stitch up over Hillsborough. Booing the establishment is one way to show their frustration. 

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

Good that Forster isn't playing. Decent shot stopper but that's it. McCarthy on his day is a far better all-round keeper. Hopefully he's put his bad form behind him and he'll come back stronger, we'll need him tomorrow.

Now just got to hope that Salisu and Bednarek are left out too.

42 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Calm down. Lot of pissed off people in Liverpool because of  the stitch up over Hillsborough. Booing the establishment is one way to show their frustration. 

disconnect from a royal family sat on gold thrones telling people they are going to have tough times ahead.”

Seems fair enough to me

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Booing the national anthem is a disgrace and is highly offensive to a lot of people. I agree with Sarisbury, I’d forgive Ralph for everything if we manage to beat those self pitying, self absolving, narcissistic, rat eating victims. 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Is this the real reason ? 

John Gibbons from Liverpool fan podcast The Anfield Wrap said he was "surprised" the booing became front page news.

"It happened at the Carabao Cup final a few months ago and it happened in 2012 [FA Cup final] when we played the same opposition," he told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"What I would say to anyone buying these headlines is maybe look into why Liverpool fans act this way, why they feel a disconnect from the country and disconnect from a royal family sat on gold thrones telling people they are going to have tough times ahead.

"It's something Liverpool fans feel strongly about. It's a city that wants to be vocal about how we think this country should be and how we should live in a fairer society."

Gibbons called on people who criticised the protest to "maybe come up to Liverpool and speak to people and visit the food banks and see how some people in this city are struggling

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Is this the real reason ? 

John Gibbons from Liverpool fan podcast The Anfield Wrap said he was "surprised" the booing became front page news.

"It happened at the Carabao Cup final a few months ago and it happened in 2012 [FA Cup final] when we played the same opposition," he told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"What I would say to anyone buying these headlines is maybe look into why Liverpool fans act this way, why they feel a disconnect from the country and disconnect from a royal family sat on gold thrones telling people they are going to have tough times ahead.

"It's something Liverpool fans feel strongly about. It's a city that wants to be vocal about how we think this country should be and how we should live in a fairer society."

Gibbons called on people who criticised the protest to "maybe come up to Liverpool and speak to people and visit the food banks and see how some people in this city are struggling

Always the victims….NEVER their fault. 

• Like 7

Even though the pressure is now off the players I don’t see anything changing. We are so poor right now. I fully expect a high scoring win for Liverpool. Tomorrow will be all about damage limitation and keeping the score respectable for us. Liverpool will always have looked at this fixture as a guaranteed 3 points. I reckon they will be confident of of high scoring win. I just hope it’s not embarrassing for Saints again. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I understand we want to win as many games as we can and Liverpool are a pretty big scalp for a club our size but lets be honest this is a dead rubber match for us now we're 100% safe. Referring to it as 'our Champions League final' strikes me as more fawning over Liverpool than anything else when all the recent games before this to guarantee safety were much more important at the time. Maybe it's more Ralph's Champions league final than the clubs - I can't see him having said this if our last home game was against Palace for example.

2 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

disconnect from a royal family sat on gold thrones telling people they are going to have tough times ahead.”

Seems fair enough to me

Presumably they boo their own players, every single one of whom is a multi-millionaire and aren't in any way connected to the city?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Presumably they boo their own players, every single one of whom is a multi-millionaire and aren't in any way connected to the city?

You have to presume they would, they'd have to wouldn't they?

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Yeah, it's only people in Liverpool who use food banks 🙄

And while those poor suffering souls (only in Liverpool of course) are queuing at the food bank, their heroes are picking up £hundreds of thousands a week for...playing football...a part-time job with great holidays thrown in. They must really hate them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Do you think he fancies a change?

Who is buying him? 

We'd want a certain amount to make it worth our while - and a transfer fee for a player that can walk for free next summer will always be appreciated - but who has the funds to cover that fee and his wages?

Not good business to sell. Apart from him being a fine professional, he’s excellent at ball retention, which we are hardly shining lights at. Will be disappointed if he goes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Don’t think you’ll see Mane, Trent A-A, or Fabinho tomorrow, as well as Salah and Van Wank.

Even

Kelleher

Gomez

Matip

Konate

Robertson/Tsimikas

Ox

Keita

Thiago

Firmino

Diaz

Origi

With Milner/Jones/Minamino/Elliot etc

or whatever is still enough to beat us confidently. Although I suppose mentally it would give us a better chance. 

Manchester City fan from New Zealand here - looking forward to your lads turning up and giving Liverpool a hard fought game.

Start the same way as you did against us a few weeks ago and you may get something from the game.

The fact they have a few out gives me hope, plus the fact our players do seem to love raising their game against the top sides (generally speaking, a few horrific results aside). 

Keeping Diaz quiet is really important though, I don't know if Tino is fit but I really, really hope he picks KWP at right back.

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

The fact they have a few out gives me hope, plus the fact our players do seem to love raising their game against the top sides (generally speaking, a few horrific results aside). 

Keeping Diaz quiet is really important though, I don't know if Tino is fit but I really, really hope he picks KWP at right back.

Livramento? He’s out for the year, no?

We have raised our game against bigger sides this year but the maulings at the hands of Chelsea and Man City post Aston Villa suggests this’ll be another capitulation. 

11 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Booing the national anthem is a disgrace and is highly offensive to a lot of people. I agree with Sarisbury, I’d forgive Ralph for everything if we manage to beat those self pitying, self absolving, narcissistic, rat eating victims. 

Well fuck'em.  Kneelers are a disgrace and highly offensive to those who are not servile sycophants.  Man the feck up, yer girls blouse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maggie May said:

Livramento? He’s out for the year, no?

We have raised our game against bigger sides this year but the maulings at the hands of Chelsea and Man City post Aston Villa suggests this’ll be another capitulation. 

Ah yes, my bad. 

11 hours ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

I understand we want to win as many games as we can and Liverpool are a pretty big scalp for a club our size but lets be honest this is a dead rubber match for us now we're 100% safe. Referring to it as 'our Champions League final' strikes me as more fawning over Liverpool than anything else when all the recent games before this to guarantee safety were much more important at the time. Maybe it's more Ralph's Champions league final than the clubs - I can't see him having said this if our last home game was against Palace for example.

That's a bit harsh, I think he was just using the Champions League reference because that is what Liverpool are doing next week.  Would you have preferred him to say "this is a dead rubber match for us now we're 100% safe"? 

This is my last home game as a season ticket holder of many years (retirement means a few financial restraints), so I hope we put up a really good fight. I would love this game of all games to be an upset…at least a draw. Unfortunately I don’t see this game as being one to remember for the right reasons.

I think Ralph doesn’t have the team to beat Pool or the tactical nouse to overcome Klippity…think he’s largely a spent force here, with the caveat that I understand this summer will see some real investment in the squad, so who knows he might still have some chance of building a decent legacy?

In reality I think we’ll see more of the same attempt at possession football, the sideways and backwards stuff with little penetration up front, a couple of golden chances spurned by under-performing strikers and a complete dogs breakfast of a defensive display because Forster will be dropped and all semblance of order at the back will be given up. I fully expect 4+ goals from Pool and no response from our lot.  The only hope is that their team has a lot of changes which disrupts them and they’re so focussed on getting a result, they forget we can actually play good football on our day. Yeah, we’ll need the lube.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

Be nice if the team could put on a sparkling performance for Whispering Daves last home game on the mic for Radio Solent. 
Maybe one where the opposition have to change shirts at half time, a nice side note to have on his CV in his brief stint as our manager. 

26 minutes ago, bender said:

I have 1 x ticket spare if anyone want's it.  Just want face value of £70.  Kingland Block 30 Row C hence the £70.  PM me if interested.

Since when has a match day ticket been £70!

seriously anyone?

28 minutes ago, saint_stevo said:

Rumoured starting 11 -

McCarthy ,Stephens, Lyanco, Salisu KWP, Diallo, JWP, Tella Moi, Broja, Redmond.

We will get absolutely murdered. Tella at LB? No Romeu? REDMOND FFS

Not sure where you have got that from, but assuming that is the side, I heard Perraud hasn't trained, which might be why.

59 minutes ago, bender said:

I have 1 x ticket spare if anyone want's it.  Just want face value of £70.  Kingland Block 30 Row C hence the £70.  PM me if interested.

Do they seriously charge £70, just because it’s on the half way line? Do you get access to saints bar in the concourse for that price? 

I’m not interested in the ticket, Just curious.. 

1 hour ago, bender said:

Due to late change of plans I am now looking for a ticket if anyone has a spare  - cant justify £70 though 😬

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Do they seriously charge £70, just because it’s on the half way line? Do you get access to saints bar in the concourse for that price? 

I’m not interested in the ticket, Just curious.. 

Not even right on the half way line. Those would be the ‘padded seats’. The ones with reduced leg room.

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

This is my last home game as a season ticket holder of many years (retirement means a few financial restraints), so I hope we put up a really good fight. I would love this game of all games to be an upset…at least a draw. Unfortunately I don’t see this game as being one to remember for the right reasons.

I think Ralph doesn’t have the team to beat Pool or the tactical nouse to overcome Klippity…think he’s largely a spent force here, with the caveat that I understand this summer will see some real investment in the squad, so who knows he might still have some chance of building a decent legacy?

In reality I think we’ll see more of the same attempt at possession football, the sideways and backwards stuff with little penetration up front, a couple of golden chances spurned by under-performing strikers and a complete dogs breakfast of a defensive display because Forster will be dropped and all semblance of order at the back will be given up. I fully expect 4+ goals from Pool and no response from our lot.  The only hope is that their team has a lot of changes which disrupts them and they’re so focussed on getting a result, they forget we can actually play good football on our day. Yeah, we’ll need the lube.

Given it’s a significant game for you I hope we win, with the proviso I don’t have to watch Ralph either cry or celebrate like we actually have one the champions league. Do we have a deal?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, saint_stevo said:

No Mane, Salah, VVD or TAA for Liverpool. Haven't travelled.

Quite a relief for us really.

Thankfully, events at the weekend were such that they only have a small chance of winning the league now and the huge goal swing scenario is such an outside bet that it's almost irrelevant.  I expect they are coming to win 2-0 or something (which their remaining players are still more than capable of) to retain a crumb of hope on final day.

Still, let's hope that we put a shift in and end their hopes (which we are also more than capable of).

1 hour ago, saint_stevo said:

Rumoured starting 11 -

McCarthy ,Stephens, Lyanco, Salisu KWP, Diallo, JWP, Tella Moi, Broja, Redmond.

We will get absolutely murdered. Tella at LB? No Romeu? REDMOND FFS

Christ almighty. No Stu Armstrong? Romeu? McCarthy? Names in a hat, this manager.

Fabinho, Robertson also doubts apparently. 

I mean if there ever was a time to beat them its after they had to play extra-time 3 days ago, with their eyes on Champs league final and have basically most of their first team out. Still think we will lose though, just want to see a committed performance and some fight, all this talk about finishing the highest possible in the league but we have basically been on the beach for weeks. 

Edited by tajjuk

17 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Were all the bin dippers booing at  Aintree the other week? don't recall reading about that. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic