Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Hopefully other teams will have dropped sufficient points to make Saints mathematically safe by the time the Liverpool game arrives. If not then the atmosphere could be pretty sour for this last home game of the season.

Can't bear to look at MotD. Have they mentioned the R-word following the latest Saints surrender?

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

The biggest hope is that Spurs hold on for a point at Anfield, Villa somehow beat them to kill their title chase, Kloppitty then plays the reserves so he can rest the squad for the CL.

I mean, it won’t happen, and we’d lose anyway, but maybe not by a hammering.

Have you seen their reserves!

They may well respond positively if the trap door looks wider after tomorrow's results. He says hopefully.

The same team (somehow) managed to draw against or beat City, Utd, WHU, Arse, Leicester and Spurs. So they are perfectly capable of grinding out a couple of draws.

I'd go with 

Forster

KWP Stephens Lyanco  Perraud

Romeu JWP Smallbone

Adams   Armstrong

Pretty uninspiring side but crucially 3 in midfield. They need to be aggressive and up for a fight.

Possibly 3 at the back with Salisu but they need to defend properly, whatever team plays.

-------------Forster

----Stephens Salisu Bednarek 

KWP -----Romeu JWP ----Perraud

--S. Armstrong Adams Broja

Three forwards to press the backline, two high energy defensive mids to help out the defense and high stamina fullbacks providing the width with a bit more security behind them to allow them to push forward. 

Bednarek plays better when he's left sided, pretty sure he plays there for Poland too. It shouldn't have taken us so long to figure it out and I doubt Ralph has, but it's absolutely the case. 

--------------Forster-----------

-----Stephens  Lyanco  Salisu-----

KWP -------- Romeu ------  Perraud

--------JWP------Armstrong-------

----------Redmond----------------

-------------Adams---------------

Try to get a funny draw.

Klopp ‘Okay keep it tight at the back as they will huff and puff for 10 minutes. Stroke it around in midfield as they will have two players running around like headless chickens.

Target Bednarek as he’s fucking shit and don’t give away any free kicks around our box. Once we go 2 up push for more as the wheels will have fallen off by then.’

• Like 3

16 hours ago, The Cat said:

Contemplating putting my tickets up on the exchange, especially if Man City drop any points beforehand.

Not sure I can sit through us getting hammered while watching Liverpool fans celebrate being a step closer to the title.

You can't do that mate, you'd miss out clapping the players on their "lap of appreciation " 👏 😆

15 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I shall be there. When a loved one is on its sick bed they need all the support that you can give them.

It's not a sick bed they're laying on, it's a sun lounger, miles from SMS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DT said:

Liverpool will be fired up to go for goal difference. Honestly think 10-0 is not out of the question

Optimist in me thinks of the last time they went desperately for a goal difference increasing win while chasing the league and Palace ended up coming back from 3-0 down to draw. We have that same level of fight...don't we...?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Would holding them to 5 feel like a win? They have Villa and Chelsea before us so is it too much to hope they'll be knackered???

You would think that with 68% of their squad having asthma (when the average is 12% of the country) that they will be struggling. 😉 

Edited by Dr Who?

3 hours ago, DT said:

Liverpool will be fired up to go for goal difference. Honestly think 10-0 is not out of the question

This is the nightmare scenario - Especially if Leeds gets 3 points from either Chelsea or Brighton.

1 minute ago, SaintTex said:

This is the nightmare scenario - Especially if Leeds gets 3 points from either Chelsea or Brighton.

Leeds lose to Chelsea, I would say it is game over. Saying this I cannot see Burnley getting 6 points either. Ok it’s football so possible but I just cannot see both these teams catching us. Everton I can see being above us by the time we play Liverpool. 

16 hours ago, macca155 said:

They may well respond positively if the trap door looks wider after tomorrow's results. He says hopefully.

The same team (somehow) managed to draw against or beat City, Utd, WHU, Arse, Leicester and Spurs. So they are perfectly capable of grinding out a couple of draws.

I'd go with 

Forster

KWP Stephens Lyanco  Perraud

Romeu JWP Smallbone

Adams   Armstrong

Pretty uninspiring side but crucially 3 in midfield. They need to be aggressive and up for a fight.

Possibly 3 at the back with Salisu but they need to defend properly, whatever team plays.

I think we’ll struggle with 11 players, let along 10!

Right now I would take 0-6

20 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

At least we should know a little more of our fate by the time this game comes around.
Both Leeds and Everton will play 3 times and Burnley once more before we face Liverpool.

Hopefully we can go into this one already knowing we are safe by then... 

Ah! but what if we have to win to stay up? 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, DT said:

We could well be safe by the time our match starts. Or if not, Liverpool could be out of it (dropping points against Villa, with City winning 2 out of 2), and not care about our result, yet alone goal difference.

I think the only case where Liverpool would want to give us a good Rogering is if they and City win their next matches before playing us (Liverpool one match, City two). Then Liverpool would be 6 points behind City, and would need to beat us by a big enough margin to get close to City's goal difference, and then hope that City lose their last match and they win theirs. Even in that worst case scenario Liverpool would probably only need to beat us by at most 5 or 6, and win their last match by one goal.

16 minutes ago, davefoggy said:

One Liverpool ticket required please, if anyone has a spare? Thanks

Masochist! 😝

I agree though with others above I can't see any other result than a Liverpool tonking. Keeping the score down will feel like a good result. Hopefully with important games to come they do us a favour and take their foot off the gas when they're three up.

If Ralph wins this I'll give him my full support for the rest of his tenure. 😏

Leicester look as if they've checked out for the season, so maybe a point on the last day isn't impossible.

Edited by SNSUN

Dreading this one especially in our current form, wouldn't be a surprise to lose by at least 4 here if we defend like we have after the last few games.

Of course would love to really cock up their title bid but would be a brave man to bet on that.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic