Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

The only way Ralph can redeem himself is if he registers as player manager, starts up front against Liverpool and bags a hatrick, all the while tracking back and completing 6 nailed on goal line clearances. 

Failing this, he is done here. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I'd play something like this, sit back and hit on the counter like Everton did at Anfield, they had their chances.

image.thumb.png.569ade92528af4ae61d4a610e287c4bd.png

Really like this team, but my concern is their full backs would have acres of space before doubling up against our wing backs with their forwards. 

I'd play the same players as above, but Broja through the middle, A Armstrong to the left of him, S Armstrong to the right so they can split wide to the full backs if needed and form a 5-4-1. I'd also swap Lyanco and Salisu, I think Salisu would do a better job throwing himself in front of everything in the centre, and he's weaker on his right side than left, so Salah cutting back inside would be onto Salisu's weaker foot. The plan then is that we sit deep, give Salah Mane and Diaz no space to run into, make them play through us. Romeu and JWP sit in front of the 5, making sure their midfield have no time to make their little triangles. Then as soon as we win the ball, play it deep into the channels behind their full back, ideally avoiding VVD for Broja to chase, win and score.

Then after 60 minutes when we're 1-0 up, we bring on Adams and Long for Broja and Armstrong to hold the ball up, waste time and generally be annoying.

When is my interview for the upcoming vacancy?

Us playing 5-3-2 or 5-4-1 or 3-4-3 whatever you want to call it, IMO will just encourage Salah / Mane / Diaz to get in behind our full backs.  Lets be honest, we're going to have to be incredibly lucky and play very well to stand a chance of nicking anything.

I've no idea who I'd play because there's only about 2 or 3 of them that deserve to be on the pitch. You know its desperate when you're picking Stephens.  Probably go a bit rogue - something like...

image.png.1ab60bdc68ecc7b77c1ae4fb4bd281ed.png

• Like 1

I think i'd be looking at something like this.

Solid back line and midfield core with Romeu sitting in front of defence and JWP and Armstrong able to do an all around job defending, building play, and arriving in the box. Tella in particular to give pace form the wings and to run off the striker. Adams to hold up play and allow Redmond/Tella/JWP/Stu to get involved.

Above all, keep it tight so there is less chance of our goal difference advantage disappearing! 

lineup.png

Edited by Saint86

On 09/05/2022 at 16:37, fanimal said:

Has to play Lyanco at the back Stu and Tella in midfield and Adams/Broja up front 

Each player to literally run their socks off no less than 12km each over the game

I assume you didn't go to the Palace game, as Tella was absolutely fucking terrible and as per usual failed to last even 70 minutes before getting cramp - and not because he ran 12km. Very harsh I know, but I've completely lost faith in him as a player at the moment, having had high hopes or him in the summer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I assume you didn't go to the Palace game, as Tella was absolutely fucking terrible and as per usual failed to last even 70 minutes before getting cramp - and not because he ran 12km. Very harsh I know, but I've completely lost faith in him as a player at the moment, having had high hopes or him in the summer.

I thought he was going to go on and have a good year too, based on what he was showing in pre-season anyway. He's certainly gone backwards this year but then he hasn't played a great deal, long spells out.

I'd be tempted to send him out on loan to the Champ next season, along with Will Smallbone - get them both toughed up for the rigors of regular football as they're of no use to us in their current states.

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I thought he was going to go on and have a good year too, based on what he was showing in pre-season anyway. He's certainly gone backwards this year but then he hasn't played a great deal, long spells out.

I'd be tempted to send him out on loan to the Champ next season, along with Will Smallbone - get them both toughed up for the rigors of regular football as they're of no use to us in their current states.

Lots of people complained about the number of loans Chelsea had out, but they have it right. Get young players playing mens football. Simeu apart, for us it seems to be just to get them out of the building. I guess we expected both Tella and Smallbone to contribute, so didn't want to loan them out, but they haven't and should have farmed out in January.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I didn’t see the palace game(but heard he was poor) but he was one of best players in the Brighton game. So many other players have had multiple bad games and get constant starts, so don’t see why a bad game should equate to a spell in the cold.

55 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I didn’t see the palace game(but heard he was poor) but he was one of best players in the Brighton game. So many other players have had multiple bad games and get constant starts, so don’t see why a bad game should equate to a spell in the cold.

I didn't see a player having a bad game, I saw a player ill-equipped to play at this level. His touch was simply woeful, like a league 2 player. Every single ball was mis-'controlled. It was embarrassing. It was like Djenepo, but worse.  If he needs ten yards of space every time he gets the ball, he ain't going to cut the mustard. Like him of loathe him, Puel was right. You have to keep the ball at this level. Give it away and you are immediately under pressure. Give it away in midfield areas with players running beyond you, and you are dead. Maybe I saw the worst of him. 

His fitness levels are shocking.  He wasn't up and down the line all game, yet he pulled up lame with cramp, again.  Has he an underlying health issue?

19 minutes ago, Chez said:

I didn't see a player having a bad game, I saw a player ill-equipped to play at this level. His touch was simply woeful, like a league 2 player. Every single ball was mis-'controlled. It was embarrassing. It was like Djenepo, but worse.  If he needs ten yards of space every time he gets the ball, he ain't going to cut the mustard. Like him of loathe him, Puel was right. You have to keep the ball at this level. Give it away and you are immediately under pressure. Give it away in midfield areas with players running beyond you, and you are dead. Maybe I saw the worst of him. 

His fitness levels are shocking.  He wasn't up and down the line all game, yet he pulled up lame with cramp, again.  Has he an underlying health issue?

Sorry Chez, but Puel was f'ing awful. By the end, his idea of attacking football was our defence passing the ball along the back line for 60min and being surprised when we lost without scoring.

Just not having it! 😑😆

Edited by Saint86

22 minutes ago, Chez said:

Tella is barely a year younger than Djenepo, but one of them is a rising star - young, hungry, guaranteed to improve - and the other is being run out of the club having exhausted his chances with everyone having given up on him, no future. Djenepo might not be the answer but I don't think Tella is either. I would like to be proven wrong but sitting on the bench or going off with cramp does not help his cause.

I expect he was kept here as insurance against an injury crisis, but to the detriment of his development. As you say, he should have gone out on loan somewhere to demonstrate he can do a job at any level.

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Sorry Chez, but Puel was f'ing awful. By the end, his idea of attacking football was our defence passing the ball along the back line for 60min and being surprised when we lost without scoring.

Just not having it! 😑😆

Have to interject - he was like that at the very start!

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Tella is barely a year younger than Djenepo, but one of them is a rising star - young, hungry, guaranteed to improve - and the other is being run out of the club having exhausted his chances with everyone having given up on him, no future. Djenepo might not be the answer but I don't think Tella is either. I would like to be proven wrong but sitting on the bench or going off with cramp does not help his cause.

I expect he was kept here as insurance against an injury crisis, but to the detriment of his development. As you say, he should have gone out on loan somewhere to demonstrate he can do a job at any level.

Have to interject - he was like that at the very start!

I’m not saying tella is a necessarily a rising star.  I think he’s a useful option at the least, especially given our lack of pace in the team as the Brighton game showed. I don’t really agree that he should have gone on loan this season, maybe the previous January but at that point we had a tiny squad full of injuries. Maybe in 2 years years time he’ll have lost his way in the manner of djenepo.

25 minutes ago, Wiseone said:

I'm watching Villa v Liverpool at the moment....you would like to think we would turn up with the same passion.....there again..perhaps not😡

I would love to see Ralph crying (tears of joy) on the pitch after we've truly ended Liverpool's quad hopes...

But then i'd also prefer chelsea to stop them winning the cup as well, so i'll just settle for "title hopes" 😁

Edited by Saint86

After squeaking past Villa Liverpool will now be fired up for goal difference against us. Got to pray City win tomorrow. What a joke we are still in danger. Awful, awful management

• Like 1

The next 7 days are going to be wholly unpleasant to endure. Checking other scores, hoping teams below us lose. And though somewhat unlikely a week from tonight we could find ourselves seriously in the sh1t. I ask myself again how the heck did we end up in this position with the run of games we've just had? (that's rhetorical, it's been done to death already and the best I can see is its a mixture of the manager and the players.. ) Fearful. But maybe in 24 hours can be slightly more optimistic.

Edited by BotleySaint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

The next 7 days are going to be wholly unpleasant to endure. Checking other scores, hoping teams below us lose. And though somewhat unlikely a week from tonight we could find ourselves seriously in the shit. I ask myself again how the heck did we end up in this position with the run of games we've just had? (that's rhetorical, it's been done to death already and the best I can see is its a mixture of the manager and the players.. ) Fearful. But maybe in 24 hours can be slightly more optimistic.

If Chelsea beat Leeds we are ok, even if Liverpool hit us for 6 or 7 it means Leeds would have to win their last two 3 or 4-0 each.

Unbelievably we are only 7-1 to beat Liverpool with the bookies. They could add a 0 to that and still not get my money.

• Haha 1

It was interesting to see how Villa went about it last night. They flew out the blocks, with a `full court press' that paid dividend and they could have been two nil up after just a few minutes. Reminded me of them blowing us away. They got their goal, but Liverpool seem to find all manner of ways to score and immediately were back in the game. Villa had done little wrong, but nevertheless conceded. After that, they continued to press pretty hard and created a few chances as a result. As the half went on, they faded as an attacking force, Liverpool took charge and they were hanging on a bit. I think that fast attacking  press worked pretty well though. It reminded me of us when at our best. Once Liverpool got control of the midfield the game was out of their hands a bit.

In the second half, Villa were less on the front foot, but did offer a real cutting edge on the break and Ings had chances. Not sure Villa did a lot wrong to concede. Liverpool just pick men out well with crosses and when they do, the attackers tend to be very clinical. Sit deep and they still find a man in the box.

Not sure I saw a way for us to get a result, but if you allow Liverpool to dominate, they will eventually score. I think you have to be brave and press with confidence (think that counts us out) in the first half and hope for mistakes and an early goal. The trouble with that, is we have bene trying it for months without any success.

41 minutes ago, Chez said:

Villa had done little wrong, but nevertheless conceded.

If Bednarek (and it would definitely be Bednarek) made the mistake Mings did, he'd be absolutely slaughtered on here for it. It was an awful goal defensively from Villa. Having said that, watching the replay I think a free kick should have been given for the Kung Foo challenge by Jota. Can't overturn a Liverpool goal though....

Edited by Scummer

23 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

If Chelsea beat Leeds we are ok, even if Liverpool hit us for 6 or 7 it means Leeds would have to win their last two 3 or 4-0 each.

Unbelievably we are only 7-1 to beat Liverpool with the bookies. They could add a 0 to that and still not get my money.

Hmm - not so sure of this. With City's result tonight Liverpool are really going to go for it, and could easily hit 10-0 though 6-0 or 7-0 would be about par. Then when we lose our last game by 3 or 4 and Leeds win their last two by three we would still go down. Stranger things have happened. Look at Bristol Rovers - and if we give Leeds a goal difference sniff on the last day it'll be panic stations regardless.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

Hmm - not so sure of this. With City's result tonight Liverpool are really going to go for it, and could easily hit 10-0 though 6-0 or 7-0 would be about par. Then when we lose our last game by 3 or 4 and Leeds win their last two by three we would still go down. Stranger things have happened. Look at Bristol Rovers - and if we give Leeds a goal difference sniff on the last day it'll be panic stations regardless.

Can only assume this is sarcasm.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

Have you actually watched Leeds in the past few games? Scoring at all is an issue never mind suddenly hitting 3 or 4 each of their last two games. 

42 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

Hmm - not so sure of this. With City's result tonight Liverpool are really going to go for it, and could easily hit 10-0

Have a word with yourself ffs, when was the last time Liverpool, or anyone scored 10?? Wring your sheets out and relax.

• Like 2

Leeds have thankfully made this a more normal fixture. By that I mean a loss is on the cards, maybe even a nasty one. A draw will be celebrated like a win. Recent results suggest that.

At least the pressure will be off a little. Less nerves from the fans, a bit more up and at them from the players. These next two games are not must win, but they are 'must have right attitude and tactics'.

I really wasn't looking forward to this game. Stakes were too high and the players/Ralph certainly aren't feeling the love from the fans at the moment. 

It will probably still be grisly, but last home game vibes. Another year in the top division and an intriguing summer to look forward to.

20220512_083811.jpg

Edited by macca155
  • Like 1

Firstly I am astonished Ralph has allowed players extended time off rather than use the time to try and fix the ongoing shitshow. It's not as if they haven't been on holiday last couple months!!!!

If we play a back 4 then we will be playing right into Liverpool's hands. Leaving two centre backs exposed too mane/Salah/Jota (firmino/Diaz) is just mental when our fullbacks are too far upfield to recover their positions. Has to be 5-4-1 for me.  Midfield has to offering some protection. 

Forster

KWP

Perraud

Stephens (at least he tries)

Salisu

Lyanco

Romeu

JWP

Stu

Redmond

Adams 

12 minutes ago, redder freak said:

After seeing Jamie Vardy’s performance last night I would play Shane Long, either as a starter or sub. Same age. Likes a goal against Liverpool.

Probably our most reliable striker atm. Not sure he's much of a goal threat though.

Radical but IMO go back to selecting our best team with the players available:

Forster

KWP---Bednarek---Salisu---Perraud

----------Romeu-----JWP

Armstrong---------------Redmond

------Adams-------Broja--------

Only decisions for me would be whether to put Stephens in for Bednarek and Tella possibly instead of Broja.

Otherwise picks itself in this formation.

If we do change formation I would go 4-3-3 and stuck Armstrong in the middle and go with Tella and Redmond either side of Adams.

We rarely do well with 3 CBs, why pick one more than we need as 3 of them are poor and the other out of form?

Edited by Dusic

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic