Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

57 minutes ago, JRM said:

Have our players really been allowed days off for a foreign short break just a week before they'll all be jetting off on holiday anyway? 

They’ve been on the so called proverbial beach for the last 3 months. We may as well let them enjoy the real thing. 

maybe it’ll get it out their system as seemingly Ralph can’t. 

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Gonna get an even worse battering if the City scoreline stays like this. Eek. 

Only half time. But yes, if Liverpool know 7,8,9 goals will put them top on merit. Then they will surely be going all out. Up to us to stand up and be counted for once.

Would be wonderful if we prevented them from taking advantage. 

Edited by BotleySaint

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Gonna get an even worse battering if the City scoreline stays like this. Eek. 

Yeah, if City lose today Liverpool will smell blood and goal difference could well decide the title. They'll be well at it on Tuesday and, if we come out half hearted, another big beating is on the cards with the forwards they've got. Fortunately it won't be vital to our Premier league status but I don't think Ralph can afford to witness his team get a thrashing.

I know it's the last game of the season and all that, and as an ST holder we all feel obliged to attend (for fear of being called plastic fans or whatever) but i'm really tempted to just not bother going. This could get very ugly, very quickly.....and i know "it's a funny old game" at times, but i don't think i've ever looked at a fixture and genuinely thought we had zero chance of winning and 99.9% chance of getting ripped 11 new ones.

I know i'll end up going. After all, it's the hope that kills you etc etc.

• Like 3

still got a situation where we can four jump places if we win the last two games and the teams above lose their games. Extra £8m in the transfer fund would be nice. Yeah, OK, just staying above Everton would be nice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

As it stands, our game v Liverpool is now a mere formality, a kick about if you will. 

From Liverpool’s perspective, shrinking the gap in goal difference between them and City is still a thing.

fortunately, they may be too gassed to make that push. (Maybe wishful thinking)

1 minute ago, SaintTex said:

From Liverpool’s perspective, shrinking the gap in goal difference between them and City is still a thing.

I think tiredness and key players missing combined with the pressure being off our side could…just might create a positive situation for us!!

I’d love it if we ruined their party!!

• Like 2

Desperate to improve their goal difference, a tired Liverpool push up, allowing Broja space to run onto a counter attack. 1-0.
Later a van dijk clearance ricochets off of late sub Long's head, loops over Allison in goal...but hits the bar and goes over. Not even in fantasyland, is Long scoring... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

Sky commentator says it ensures it goes down to the final day. Talk about presumptive…………he may be correct but at least try and be objective. Not very professional.

Objectivity is fast becoming an alien concept to sports broadcasting. I get what you're saying. Having said that, it would take a minor miracle for them to be proven wrong in this instance.

1 hour ago, SaintTex said:

It's less of a thing than it might have been.  I think goal difference can now only play a part in the unlikely event that City lose at home to Villa and Liverpool draw at home to Wolves.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

Sky commentator says it ensures it goes down to the final day. Talk about presumptive…………he may be correct but at least try and be objective. Not very professional.

If anything it highlights the gaps between the haves and the havenots in the league. The prospect of a Southampton win Tuesday is nearly inconceivable. 

what is more insulting is everyone breathlessly expecting me to care which mega club that spends millions of pounds and has multiple trophy’s in their case wins the title next week. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, JRM said:

Have our players really been allowed days off for a foreign short break just a week before they'll all be jetting off on holiday anyway? 

Think it was just Lyanco and Romeu who went to Ibiza but we’re back by Wednesday. No idea why they’ve been allowed to go through, especially how appalling they’ve been for the last 3 months 

It's be very very sweet to get a point against them. Not that it'll happen but it'd be very very sweet. At least we can endeavour to keep the score down so GD doesn't play a part. (I think there's one outcome where that could happen...)

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

It's less of a thing than it might have been.  I think goal difference can now only play a part in the unlikely event that City lose at home to Villa and Liverpool draw at home to Wolves.

Yeah i'd say it's almost impossible now for goal difference to matter, and Liverpool have had their fingers burnt before in going for a huge goal difference boosting win.

Look at the positive and professional attitude shown by Brentford at Everton despite adversity, much of which was totally unacceptable (sadly Everton will stay up) https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ivan-toney-everton-brentford-racism-26971846

No being on the beach for them - pride for their fans, club and the competition. They may have a more difficult second season as is often the case but refreshing to see, as a contrast to the pathetic capitulation and attitude shown by SFC since March.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

It’s going to be very important that the official Martin Atkinson helps Liverpool win to keep the season alone in terms of excitement for Sky etc.

I know they are corrupt and so do you. 

Yep the greatest league in the world needs to still have something to play for on the last day of its season. Expect Liverpool to get a big decision in their favour plus plenty of 50/50s. Anything debatable will got their way without doubt 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Look at the positive and professional attitude shown by Brentford at Everton despite adversity, much of which was totally unacceptable (sadly Everton will stay up) https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ivan-toney-everton-brentford-racism-26971846

No being on the beach for them - pride for their fans, club and the competition. They may have a more difficult second season as is often the case but refreshing to see, as a contrast to the pathetic capitulation and attitude shown by SFC since March.

I thought they were excellent, with a manager making intelligent, pro-active decisions, and a front line with pace and skill. We seem a big contrast.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sarnia Cherie said:

Pep is asking for us to beat Liverpool 4-0 tomorrow night. 😂😂😂

He'll have been secretly training Redmond for all this time, just to activate him against Liverpool. Watch for the trigger sentence "You are a footballing genius Mr Reed." 🙂

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Turkish said:

Let’s hope the team run out to God save the queen on Tuesday night. Not only will it wind up the scousers it’ll have MLG in meltdown 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61467289

Their excuse for booing Abide with me and the National Anthem . Time to review their role once the Queen goes , to spare us from William etc preaching to us .

2 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Having a feeling this is going to be Romeu's last season with us. Hoping he signs off with some crunching tackles. We will almost certainly lose, but that's one of our best chances of limiting their quadruple hopes...

Do you think he fancies a change?

Who is buying him? 

We'd want a certain amount to make it worth our while - and a transfer fee for a player that can walk for free next summer will always be appreciated - but who has the funds to cover that fee and his wages?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic